• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I legit yelped "Ian" at the shadow drop in the hall of greats! I've missed him, which I know is weird for someone you see on your screen, but hey, I really like him and his opinions and humour.
Hope everything works out for him and looking forward to having him back full-time.

I legit love Ian. He just seems like a wonderful person. I was lucky to have him guest host on my Twin Peaks podcast a couple years ago.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, just to add on to the Ian praise, in the first few months of EZA going, I asked for some tips for a friend on getting into the industry for production work and thought I'd get a couple of things back and got back 9 paragraphs of advice from Ian. It was awesome.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I never owned a Gameboy Advance myself, but my sister has a couple (a normal one and an SP) and I believe it's here favorite Nintendo handheld (I suspect the SP especially). But even though I don't know a lot of games on the system, I don't think you can call something the worst console just based on the games alone.

I never owned a Wii U either and I enjoyed playing Wii U at a friends place, but my vote would go to the Wii U for worst Nintendo console (even though it does have some good games). Not saying that it's bad necessarily, but they know they dropped the ball with how quickly they dropped the Wii U.

A lot of people still love the Gameboy Advance SP because it can play OG Gameboy, Gameboy Color and Gameboy Advance games and because it's so portable. The OG Gameboy Advance is probably less loved, but I wouldn't call it the worst. It also sold well at around 80 million units (above the 3DS apparently).

Hell I have been looking for a new or newish Gameboy Advance SP multiple times over the years (but never pulled the trigger because I am a bit skeptical on buying second hand consoles online), just because of the OG Gameboy slot and because I would be able to buy some Gameboy Advance games as well (even though I don't have any specifically in mind).

My OG Gameboy and Gameboy Pocket are still ok as far as I know (even though the screen came off of my OG Gameboy as the glue dried up), but I think they would look better and the built in light seems very handy.

I bought a GBA SP recently. I had forgotten there's no headphone jack.

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018
Little disappointed with the Iceborne update from a monster and moveset standpoint. We got another piscine wyvern, brute wyvern, and classic elder dragon. So basically, nothing actually new. Where are my carapaceons and leviathans? How about some bears, monkeys, and snakes? We also get Narg, but no Barioth or Tigrex reveal even though they both hunt in snowy mountains and work with the same rigging.

As for movesets, not a huge fan of expanding movesets further. They're complex enough as it is and additions like slinger use on all weapons and additional slinger-based abilities seem unnecessary. If you want to use your slinger with a weapon drawn, sword and shield is the weapon you play, and I think giving other weapons that ability will reduce play of an already under-represented weapon class. About the only moveset based change I appreciate is the addition of the Seregios style light bowgun reload.

I don't want to be completely negative on the expansion. I will say I really like the locale and the environmental mechanics (hot springs, deep snow, etc.) and I'm hopeful we'll see some of the monster types that I mentioned above. I just think this showing was pretty lacking. Hopefully they can do better next time.

EDIT: It's been pointed out to me that I'm wrong about Tigrex and that he was teased during the date reveal, I just didn't hear it clearly because of the reaction stream. That's at least another thing I can be happy about =)

Last edited:

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the reaction to the ff7 sound effect
SmugDeafeningKiskadee-size_restricted.gif

RetroPS4

Oct 30, 2017
How is it so quiet how in here!!?
IT finally got shown again. It seems like no one here is excited, this is why Final fantasy Versus XIII had to die. Instead of seeing the destruction of insomnia we will be creating/going through the destruction of a fully realized Midgar!!! It looks wonderful. Combat is looking good too, and you can even see the Materia slotted in the Buster sword! What's not to like:)

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How is it so quiet how in here!!?
IT finally got shown again. It seems like no one here is excited, this is why Final fantasy Versus XIII had to die. Instead of seeing the destruction of insomnia we will be creating/going through the destruction of a fully realized Midgar!!! It looks wonderful. Combat is looking good too, and you can even see the Materia slotted in the Buster sword! What's not to like:)

Eh, it's what we expected. Tiny little tease for E3 from a game announced 4 years ago. Looking forward to E3, but it didn't feel like a big deal.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
I am still not sure if I want to play the original (the PS4 version) before I eventually play the remake or just leave it. I started it on PS3 (the PS1 classic version) back in the day but quit after 8 or 10 hours because I grinded for a good chocobo and lost it by going into a cave (where I shouldn't have gone) and when I came back out it was gone. I used the chocobo to go over a river or swamp with some monsters in it that I couldn't beat because I just came out of Midgar. I hardquit the game and never turned it back on. That's what you get in trying to go your own way on a overworld map, I guess.

I know it's not the games fault, but I couldn't bring myself to play it after that. I do want to give it an other shot though, but FF VII is rather low on my list of FF games I haven't played and want to play: It's more like: IX, VI and then XII or VII or the other way around.

It all depends on the combat system to me. I personally heavily prefer turn-based combat over realtime combat and we still aren't sure what it's going to be.
It does look really good though and I am excited for how much people want this game, but not having played the original for sure tempers my hype for this one.
Especially because I suspect I will prefer the original because of the combat system. I didn't play a lot of FF XV and didn't dislike it, but I really hope the combat won't be as realtime as that one (but I can almost guarantee it will be).

Last edited:

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It all depends on the combat system to me. I personally heavily prefer turn-based combat over realtime combat and we still aren't sure what it's going to be.

We are, it's going to be similar to FFXV. You can see it from the little but of footage we saw with the attack button lighting up as whoever is playing it is mashing it and the rest of the footage.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
We are, it's going to be similar to FFXV. You can see it from the little but of footage we saw with the attack button lighting up as whoever is playing it is mashing it and the rest of the footage.
That makes me immediately a lot less interested. I guess I should make some time for the original in any case.
I will probably buy this one if all episodes are released (if it's still episodic) or if it's on sale.

I hope they find a way to make it feel enough like the original combat and that fans are happy.
It's a risky move to change a combat system this much for a beloved game remake.

It's a weird thing for me. I love grinding in games if I love the combat system.
Ni No Kuni II comes to mind as I was seriously over-leveled (sometimes 20 levels over the bosses) because I just loved grinding (but I guess NNK2 isn't turn-based either). I had the same in Dragon Quest XI, but I wasn't as over-leveled in that one, but still a little bit. Especially because I was level capped for the last 40 hours or so.

I am currently playing my first ever real dungeon crawler (or at least a first person dungeon crawler) in Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk (it was 60% off in the recent PS sale and I wanted to try something new) and it's crazy how addicting fighting monsters in that one is. I didn't have it that much in FF XV. It was ok, but it didn't engage me to hunt for enemies as much for some reason (even though I did fight a lot). I know a lot of people are the other way around and I totally understand why Square Enix is going away from Turn-based combat, but I really think it sucks.

Last edited:

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
That makes me immediately a lot less interested. I guess I should make some time for the original in any case.
I will probably buy this one if all episodes are released (if it's still episodic) or if it's on sale.

I hope they find a way to make it feel enough like the original combat and that fans are happy.
It's a risky move to change a combat system this much for a beloved game remake.
The battle system is the very reason I'm way less excited about the remake than I should be. I know very well that I'm in the minority but I just can't stand action based battle systems with multiple party members. It's always way too hectic and you always have to babysit the other party members.

I'd love something like an optional pause button that lets me pre-select the actions at the very least.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
The battle system is the very reason I'm way less excited about the remake than I should be. I know very well that I'm in the minority but I just can't stand action based battle systems with multiple party members. It's always way too hectic and you always have to babysit the other party members.

I'd love something like an optional pause button that lets me pre-select the actions at the very least.
I also feel like you have less control in FF XV compared to the turn-based FF games (but again, I only played it for 20 hours or so and was only in chapter 2 or 3). I know a lot of people prefer action based systems because they feel like they have more control and it's more engaging compared to a static screen with menus, but I guess I prefer a more tactical approach (even though I am not good at real Tactical RPGs like Disgaea or XCom).

A pause system would for sure mitigate that problem somewhat for people who prefer a more turn-based combat system. Maybe I am misremembering, but didn't FF XV have something like that? (maybe it was added afterwards) I never tried it out, but maybe I should.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I am still not sure if I want to play the original (the PS4 version) before I eventually play the remake or just leave it. I started it on PS3 (the PS1 classic version) back in the day but quit after 8 or 10 hours because I grinded for a good chocobo and lost it by going into a cave (where I shouldn't have gone) and when I came back out it was gone. I used the chocobo to go over a river or swamp with some monsters in it that I couldn't beat because I just came out of Midgar. I hardquit the game and never turned it back on. That's what you get in trying to go your own way on a overworld map, I guess.

I know it's not the games fault, but I couldn't bring myself to play it after that. I do want to give it an other shot though, but FF VII is rather low on my list of FF games I haven't played and want to play: It's more like: IX, VI and then XII or VII or the other way around.

It does look really good though and I am excited for how much people want this game, but not having played the original for sure tempers my hype for this one.
Especially because I suspect I will prefer the original because of the combat system. I didn't play a lot of FF XV and didn't dislike it, but I really hope the combat won't be as realtime as that one (but I can almost guarantee it will be).
That's a weird part to quit the game on, as you'd already be a few hours into the game by that point, but I'd suggest giving the PS4 version a try. Like RE2, there's a very good chance the two versions will be so different from one another that the original will continue to be a perfectly viable option and the PS4 version has accessibility options, like turning random encounters off, that'll make it an easier ride for you (though it won't help you against the swamp serpent, since forcing you to catch a chocobo to avoid it does play a small part in the story). Also, every FF has a pretty linear overworld in the early game, they don't tend to open up until later on. What distracts you from that is the optional side content and FFVII has plenty of that.

Oh and it's a MUCH easier plat than FFIX if that interests you. IX has some real bullshit trophies.

We've known it's going to be an Action RPG basically since it was announced but I don't know why people keep drawing comparisons to FFXV. They're two different games from two different teams and Nomura has plenty of experience with ARPGs, so I don't think there's any reason to believe it'll be much like FFXV's sloppy combat system.

I thought State of Play was a very good show, though I do think the pacing felt a bit off as they could've given some of those games a bit more time. It was well worth covering, so I'm glad the Allies didn't listen to the fans telling them to skip it.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
That's a weird part to quit the game on, as you'd already be a few hours into the game by that point, but I'd suggest giving the PS4 version a try. Like RE2, there's a very good chance the two versions will be so different from one another that the original will continue to be a perfectly viable option and the PS4 version has accessibility options, like turning random encounters off, that'll make it an easier ride for you (though it won't help you against the swamp serpent, since forcing you to catch a chocobo to avoid it does play a small part in the story). Also, every FF has a pretty linear overworld in the early game, they don't tend to open up until later on. What distracts you from that is the optional side content and FFVII has plenty of that.

Oh and it's a MUCH easier plat than FFIX if that interests you. IX has some real bullshit trophies.
Oh, I know it's a weird part to quit, but I had spent quite a long time to get a good chocobo and I was just pissed off that I lost it by going into a cave and back out, so I couldn't even return through the swamp and it made me lose a couple of hours outside the city. I know it's my own fault for trying to explore the overworld just after getting to it, but it's something I usually try in all RPGs as exploration is my favourite thing to do in RPGs. I also didn't have a ton of experience with RPGs back then as I started to play a lot more of them last gen (and this gen) and only a couple of them before that.

I own FF VII on PS4 for a long time (I believe since it came out), I just never took the time to go through it.
But it's for sure one I want to go through eventually and it's probably best to do so before the remake arrives (even though I know a lot about the story already). My next game is probably Judgment (Judge Eyes) which I am really looking forward to, as Labyrinth Of Refrain will probably take until that one releases, but maybe after that.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Kyle's Hall of Greats presentation unsold me on Mario Bros. 3.

I now believe this to be the next frontier of HoGing. Bringing automatic inductees and framing them in such a way that they don't get enough points or maybe even get banned for a year without it all coming across as an insincere bit.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Kyle's Hall of Greats presentation unsold me on Mario Bros. 3.

I now believe this to be the next frontier of HoGing. Bringing automatic inductees and framing them in such a way that they don't get enough points or maybe even get banned for a year without it all coming across as an insincere bit.
I personally liked his presentation, but Kyle should have done that with A Link To The Past ;)
Even though it would have gotten in anyway.

Btw, I've never played it, so I only go on how much Kyle seems to dislike that game, not my personal preference.
I lost interest in the ff7 remake when they said it was episodic.
It's been so long since they said that, so that's not necessarily the case anymore. There were a lot of people who weren't sold on that idea, myself included. I think it's a weird idea to hack an RPG into pieces.

I'm also not convinced it will release on PS4 alone even though my guess is that it will be playable on PS4 anyway because the architecture will be the same between PS4 and PS5.

They have/had plenty of time to make it a full game.
I am not convinced that a lot of companies are that sold on episodic games any more after what happened to Telltale.

Last edited:

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I've got zero hype for FF7 REMAKE. I've never played the original but the remake just looks like FF15 with slightly more interesting charecters.

YawZah

Oct 30, 2017
Easy Allies showed up a couple of times in the documentary about God of War! Pretty funny!

Some timestamps
Reaction to E3:
1. https://youtu.be/lJZWKBDXXFY?t=3300
2. https://youtu.be/lJZWKBDXXFY?t=3395
3. https://youtu.be/lJZWKBDXXFY?t=3515

Santa Monica studio watching Easy Allies on screen and applauding:
1. https://youtu.be/lJZWKBDXXFY?t=6685
2. https://youtu.be/lJZWKBDXXFY?t=6720

Cory Spoilercast:
https://youtu.be/lJZWKBDXXFY?t=6730

I'd suggest watching the entire thing thought, it's pretty good!

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
Easy Allies showed up a couple of times in the documentary about God of War! Pretty funny!

Some timestamps
Reaction to E3:

Cory Spoilercast:

Watching it now - this is one hefty documentary! Cory Barlog just keeps solidifying his position as my favourite current creative director.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017

Some timestamps
Reaction to E3:

Cory Spoilercast:

Will definitely be checking this out over the weekend - thanks for the heads up with the timestamps!

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It's been so long since they said that, so that's not necessarily the case anymore. There were a lot of people who weren't sold on that idea, myself included. I think it's a weird idea to hack an RPG into pieces.

I'm also not convinced it will release on PS4 alone even though my guess is that it will be playable on PS4 anyway because the architecture will be the same between PS4 and PS5.

They have/had plenty of time to make it a full game.
I am not convinced that a lot of companies are that sold on episodic games any more after what happened to Telltale.

They just reiterated it's gonna be episodic.

Keep in mind though the episodes are supposed to be "full-length" games.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium

Some timestamps
Reaction to E3:

Cory Spoilercast:

I quickly have checked the timestamps, but I haven't played GoW 2018 yet, so I'm a bit hesitant to watch it because of potential spoilers (even though I am not sure if I will ever play it). Happy for EZA to have some cameos in it though.
They just reiterated it's gonna be episodic.

Keep in mind though the episodes are supposed to be "full-length" games.
Oh ok, I missed that fact. I still think it's a weird idea to split up an RPG which was one full game (granted, it was 3 discs) into episodes.
I never played it except for the first 8-10 hours or so, so I can't say for sure it's impossible, but I don't see any reason to do so except to try and cash 3 times on the same game. To me a full-length RPG is usually over 60 hours and I don't see how they can extend a game that has a 40 - 60 hour completionon howlongtobeat (which is fine imo) into 3 60 hour games. I can see 3 20 - 30 hour episodes. I personally think that is rather low for an RPG (even though that doesn't necessarily mean it would be bad).

They will for sure alienate some old fans with this move and I honestly think it's a bad idea.
I want to be able to travel to older zones.

I don't care as much, but hopefully they don't do the same as they did with Hitman 2016 and forget to add a platinum because it's episodic.
It didn't work that well for that game either as far as sales go, but I guess that sales probably won't be a big problem for a Final Fantasy game (let alone a remake of one of the most loved ones).

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the first episode doesn't sell as well as they are hoping for. It is Square Enix we are talking about and I am sure some people will wait on all episodes before buying. Especially after what happened to the final Walking Dead season and SE's trackrecord with delaying games (and scrapping FF XV episodes).

I still think they can work with adventure games like the Telltale games or Life Is Strange, but not all games are suitable for that model imo.
I also think they missed their window with episodic games (and that comes from somebody who bought all Telltale games from the first Walking Dead to when they closed). I wouldn't be surprised if less studios go episodic now.

It could have been ok when they announced FF VII remake, but gaming changes over time and they just take too long to release their games, so there is always a chance to release an outdated game (I wanted to point to an other game that felt outdated to me when it was released, but I will keep my mouth shut this time). I am sure it will be ok technically, but maybe the structure will feel outdated. I hope I am wrong, I want this to be great because of how much people love this series and this game specifically, but I can see it go somewhat wrong if they release it episodically.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.