• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Go play FF7 now. Its on PS4, Xbox or Switch
I own it on:
PC, PS3/Vita and PS4 and haven't played it either to be honest. But it's for sure playable on almost anything.

I am not convinced it's a game that anyone will like though and from what I have played a couple of years ago, I am not convinced it holds up very well graphically. I think sprite based games (FF VI) hold up way better over early 3D games (like FF VII). How it looks is fine with me as I do enjoy JRPGs, but JRPGs are not for everyone to begin with and it won't help people wanting to continue playing.

An other thing I'm afraid for for the FF VII remake is that I am convinced there are a lot of people who love FF VII and who want to play it again, but I am not convinced that a lot of younger people who didn't grow up with turn-based RPGs and FF as a whole will be interested in games like this.

Like I said before, I might give the original a chance after playing Judgment (if there's nothing else on the horizon after that), but there is a reason I kept holding off even though I do enjoy JRPGs a lot. The 8-10 hours I spent with the game years ago on PS3 didn't hook me as much as I hoped it would to be honest, even though I only got out of Midgar and just goofed around for a couple of hours with the chocobo catching thing and some other nonsense on the world map.

I know I will probably like the story and the game in general. It just doesn't speak to me as much as some other FF games I haven't played do for some strange reason and I am not sure why.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I suppose I'm in the minority of people who would rather play FF7 without the turn-based combat. Loading in and out of turn-based combat scenarios, even with the modern "cheats" built into the recent releases is not my idea of fun, especially in an older game. I hope the game isn't strictly Kingdom Hearts or FF15 combat with an FF7 skin, but I'm glad they're trying to give it a new flavor rather than re-doing what a lot of people already hold dear.

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
I just want to experience the story, the world and the characters with modern graphical fidelity. The combat looks fine to me but it's really not about that.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
The game looks good, but I have reservations. I don't want to play three padded 30 hour RPGs with only like one or two towns each. If they release a complete version after every episode is finished, then I'll be more likely to play it. Also, the voice acting is kind of rough and I would prefer it went for a more "real" sound rather than an anime-esque one.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just started watching Kyle's latest stream (Labo) and i'm laughing so hard haha. The dorkiness and his big smile warms my heart lol

I was watching it live but still need to watch most of it since I had to go to sleep, but man I had a good time seeing it, the game looked so interesting and kyle was having such a good time

with kyle streams it's just fundamental he is either having a good time or weirding out about something, he really projects the energy on the stream and that labo stream was wonderful.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Apparent hot take: I think it looks great and can't wait.
I have no idea what people have been playing or smoking to say that trailer looked bad.
I totally agree that it looks good graphically and I am not writing it off on it's technical merits. I just prefer turn-based combat (like they did in older FF games) to action based combat (at least like they did in FF XV). The combat system just doesn't get me as hyped as some people are and as I would be if it was an old-school JRPG.

I also never played through it, so I don't have the nostalgia factor going for me either, which is probably one of the reasons.
And I am not convinced it will be as successful as Square Enix expects it to be with all those years of development. I honestly can see them take a loss on the game (just because Square Enix has way too high sales expectations, think about the Tomb Raider reboots, think about Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within).
I just hope they won't cancel it before all parts release.

I am convinced it will be a good game. I am not convinced it will be a game for me.
That said, I might give it a chance after all parts are released.

Last edited:

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Hey everybody has their own preferences, I get it. I'd be totally down with a turn-based / ATB battle system, but I think this looks rad too. I didn't realize so many people don't like action RPGs.

I also don't think it looks anything like XV, other than that they're both real time / action systems. Looks a lot closer to Kingdom Hearts to me (and I never thought XV played anything like Kingdom Hearts, I know a lot of people disagree though).

Oct 25, 2017
Apparent hot take: I think it looks great and can't wait.

My Hottake: I think the remake looks awesome. I am glad it is no longer turn based. I am also happy it is multi-game.

To me, I'd rather have 3 40 hour games parts that really dive into FF7, rather than 1 50 hour game that will obviously have to be scaled back dramatically.

If it was turn based, honestly, they would probably lose sales. Turn based is an old relic. And that is coming from someone who thinks Grandia has the best battle system in existence.

I think this remake will sell a fuck ton. Not GTAV obviously, and maybe not COD. But I think it will do really well and SE will be happy.

I just hope they put out a really good collectors edition.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Hey everybody has their own preferences, I get it. I'd be totally down with a turn-based / ATB battle system, but I think this looks rad too. I didn't realize so many people don't like action RPGs.

I also don't think it looks anything like XV, other than that they're both real time / action systems. Looks a lot closer to Kingdom Hearts to me (and I never thought XV played anything like Kingdom Hearts, I know a lot of people disagree though).
I did like Tales Of Vesperia (I played it on Xbox 360 back in the day) and Ni No Kuni 2 a lot (I really liked the fast combat system in Ni No Kuni 2). I also really enjoyed my time with Fable II and III (I know a lot of people don't like that one, but I thought it was good) and I really liked Kingdoms Of Amalur (I actually enjoyed the combat in that one). I usually tend to prefer turn-based and I don't play too many Action RPGs.

I loved the Mass Effect Trilogy and enjoyed Skyrim and Fallout 3 and 4, but I am not a fan of all of those combat systems. Especially First Person hand-to-hand combat. I was ok with the combat in The Witcher 3. I also finished Deus Ex Human Revolution, but I did that one completely stealth (with a lot of reloads to be fair), so I didn't use the combat mechanics too much. I tried Bloodborne and I suck at real time combat (which I already knew), so only played it for 3 hours or so.

It's weird. I am somewhat unsure why I do and don't like the combat in some of those Action RPGs. I just tend to stay away from them because I know there is a good chance that I won't like it.

I never played Kingdom Hearts as the gameplay didn't appeal to me back in the day and I didn't want to start the series with a chance of me not liking the combat when the remasters released for PS4. I am sure there are some Action RPGs that can be my thing, I just prefer turn-based. I do prefer that you can see enemies on the map compared to real random encounters nowadays as well.

I do completely understand why people don't like it though and why people prefer action based combat (just like I understand why people don't like visual novels). I usually want to relax while playing a game and not having to constantly pay attention after a hard day of work, but most people want to be more engaged, which I totally get. A good turn-based fight can get me on the edge of my seat with sweaty palms as well, but I can see how that's not the case for everybody.

Last edited:

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
A another big part of my indifference to FF7 remake is that weve been hearing about it for the past 4(?) Years at this point. That's two years past my excitement threshold. I'll be interested to see how it shakes out when it actually releases.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I've been super busy and have only just found the time to watch Hall of Greats and was getting all excited to catch up on this thread cause I hadn't clicked on it for over a week but now I'm here and I couldn't be bothered so I just skipped to the most recent page and made this post lol

Oct 27, 2017
The allies are featured in the God of War documentary! Huber with "IT'S KRATOS WITH AN AXE!! Lol.

They started showing reactions and I was like omg. Show the Allies. Can't believe it happened. What a time to be alive.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
UK
I've been super busy and have only just found the time to watch Hall of Greats and was getting all excited to catch up on this thread cause I hadn't clicked on it for over a week but now I'm here and I couldn't be bothered so I just skipped to the most recent page and made this post lol
You made the right choice, missed all the people complaining that they only bring obvious great games to hall of greats..

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
Seeing them cut to their reaction of the 10 was so awesome. Lot's of EZA highlights in that doc. That was really an amazing documentary.

Absent Breeze

Oct 25, 2017
I may be super late to this, but when did eza start getting sponsored by UNIQLO? That's a pretty massive company to hop on the L&R train.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
Has there been any hints as to the E3 Betting Special? We finally gonna get Bosman v Huber again?

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
That constant noise of cardboard rubbing on cardboard with that Labor wheel would do my nut in.
Same. I suspect if I do get this, I'll try and put some fabric between the wheel and the base so I hopefully don't have to hear that noise.

It's not that bad irl. I think it had more to do with the labo sitting between Kyle's Mic and his mouth so the cardboard noises seemed louder then they actually are.

For what it's worth I got bored with the actual game after like an hour but I having a blast watching Kyle enjoy himself.

Last edited:

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
You made the right choice, missed all the people complaining that they only bring obvious great games to hall of greats..

Hah, way to shit on what was a completely on-topic and civil conversation that naturally ran its course and ended over a week ago...

To change it up, I also have slowly been making my way through Kyle's Labo stream. It's jolly as hell. Can't see myself ever messing around with Labo, but happy it exists so I can get A+ stuff like this to enjoy.

Oct 25, 2017
It's not that bad irl. I think it had more to do with the labo sitting between Kyle's Mic and his mouth so the cardboard noises seemed louder then they actually are.

For what it's worth I got bored with the actual game after like an hour but I having a blast watching Kyle enjoy himself.
That's good to hear, re: the noise. I'd most likely be getting it for when my sister's kids come to visit because I think they'd love it. They're usually all up in my PSVR which is a real pain to deal with, but this would keep them occupied, mostly unsupervised, for a loooong time. I was mostly worried them constantly playing with it would make that noise super annoying.

But of course I'd still give it a go. I'm not a monster.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
So... is Brandon going to be a daddy, or ...?
Jones is the father, but Brand Manager is the daddy:
aAu7910.gif

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Someone in the EZA Reset Discord pointed this out but we're reached over 1 million thread views!
Hopefully we get a lot more in the leadup to E3!
372788534320562190.png

Status
Not open for further replies.