• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
I have loved tabletop and will be dissapointed if it's done for good now, but you do what your most comfortable with Ben and im sure whatever you do in that time instead will be great.

A black pot improv/fiasco mini-series would be incredible though!

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
TTE eats up a lot of time to both create and consume, so taking a step back and re-evaluating it is understandable. If they end up continuing a D&D show, which I hope, I hope they can limit the scope of the campaigns a bit more. That seemed to be the goal of Season 2, but it's hard to reign it in without shackling your players.

I've been a big fan of both seasons, and the mini-campaigns, so I'll be there for whatever ends up replacing it either way.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
TTE eats up a lot of time to both create and consume, so taking a step back and re-evaluating it is understandable. If they end up continuing a D&D show, which I hope, I hope they can limit the scope of the campaigns a bit more. That seemed to be the goal of Season 2, but it's hard to reign it in without shackling your players.

I've been a big fan of both seasons, and the mini-campaigns, so I'll be there for whatever ends up replacing it either way.
I haven't played much DnD but from what I've played the party wasn't really there to save the world. Especially starting out. So I would keep the plot sinple, have a simple quest about receiving the farmer's wedding ring from monsters or something with the ultimate goal of making enough money to get into the big city. Once you do that, that's the end of the season. And next season let's have a story about getting into a guild in the city etc.

Wiggy

Oct 26, 2017
Im a big table top fan but agree it needs a shake up. Like many I'd personally like to end long seasons and do semi regular (10-20 hour) quests or arcs.

Maybe characters (and players for that matter) return in diff quests maybe they don't, but can still all be in the same world. I think the reaction to blackout academy proved the strength of this format.
I'd ditch the season numbers too and just do a subtitle e.g Tabletop Escapades: castle heist etc.

To accommodate this format I personally wouldn't mind Ben being a more heavy handed DM to occasionally keep the players on task and moving along, but I'm aware lots of viewers don't want any restrictions on the allies' antics.

Regardless I'll be watching whatever Ben cooks up next, if it does come back of course.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Retooling TTE to be a little more accessible would be in everyone's best interest I reckon. I think looking at the way The Adventure Zone do things would be a good idea: shorter more defined arcs, with their own settings and mechanics. If they were to switch systems or take breaks between arcs and play other stuff, that'd be fun too.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
controversial opinion time:
i think l&r questions are the worst part of the podcast. they almost never have good answers to them anyway, i usually just skip them these days. games can stay, those are cool.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So let's talk E3. Anyone want to make the EZA E3 thread? Probably better than my knocked up in a day efforts!

DinoPulse

May 25, 2018
Now that I think about it, Hasney.... as a Patron, I was watching the podcast as usual, and it just hit me.

We're gonna witness the ALMIGHTY return of the Kyle Vs Huber Battle for the Slusser cup Betting specials soon, and it's gonna be so exciting!
Just think about it for a minute. the irrational fighting between the two over a Stupid cup, one thing that helps us allies become even more hyped for E3, may in fact be coming back soon.
And it'll be glorious!

Thinking about your mention of the EZA E3 thread, this might be one of the perfect things to talk about even in there.
Food for thought.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The betting special usually has its own dedicated thread even, so that's another one if someone wants to do that

DinoPulse

May 25, 2018
Reeaaallly? Hmmm...... now that's even more discussion about the glorious return of the awesome Kyle Vs Huber Battle for the Slusser cup Betting specials of yore!

Maaan..... that podcast really got me fired up about this.

I think it cemented the return of Kyle and Huber's popular Betting special rivalry and war over a cup as the current most anticipated thing from EZA for me right now.
Crazy to think it's gonna return soon.

DinoPulse

May 25, 2018
Great podcast this week. Felt like the Allies went a little more in depth with some of the discussion and questions, which was great.
Not to mention, it basically began the Hypetrain for the triumphant return of the Huber and Kyle betting wars over the Slusser Cup. You didn't notice the subtle ways those two were egged on to quarrel against each other?

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
EZA E3 Betting Special |OT| The Melee in L.A.

controversial opinion time:
i think l&r questions are the worst part of the podcast. they almost never have good answers to them anyway, i usually just skip them these days. games can stay, those are cool.

They allow the Allies to discuss trends or factors that aren't current news, which I appreciate.

Wiggy

Oct 26, 2017
EZA close to their all time record patron number. Maybe the new exclusive show will put them over the top

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I've been listening to a lot of "not another d&d podcast" and I feel like theres a lot that ben could take away from that show to help speed things up. They do things like when you kill an enemy and there is another enemy near them you can cleave through the first guy and any damage you did to them past there hp reacting zero get transferred to the next enemy.

Another thing is giving the players stronger weapons as quest rewards and allowing them access to weapon shops/potion sellers every so often. I remember ian got a cool staff at some point in season one but then wasnt Kyle running around with the wrong kind of hammer for his charecter for a long time in season 2?

They also basically fast travel sometimes. The DM will ask if the party is ready to travel to whatever town and they just arrive there a short time later. The charecters can still interact with each other on the journey.

I'm very much a d&d novice (I've never played before and the only shows I've listened to are tabletop escapades and NADDPOD) so I might be totally off base on my suggestions. I also recognize that NADDPOD is an edited show so it's obviously always going to be more streamlined then tabletop escapades.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
In mispronouncing Illfonic, Kyle said Illmatic. That's it folks, my two favorite things just collided & they didn't even realize it.

May 30, 2018
Weird question but this might be the right place to do it- I bought shockorscoff.com during the EZA stream when that became a thing and I thought it would be a great site to use for EZA betting specials (E3, Gamescom, etc). Ideally it would host a form (probably a using google forms/spreadsheets) for the current betting special, users would be able to fill out with their answers so that everyone's form is formatted the same, and scores would be tracked via a leaderboard. Hopefully users could link to their bets form to show off. Would people use that?

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Weird question but this might be the right place to do it- I bought shockorscoff.com during the EZA stream when that became a thing and I thought it would be a great site to use for EZA betting specials (E3, Gamescom, etc). Ideally it would host a form (probably a using google forms/spreadsheets) for the current betting special, users would be able to fill out with their answers so that everyone's form is formatted the same, and scores would be tracked via a leaderboard. Hopefully users could link to their bets form to show off. Would people use that?

I would 100% use something like this

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017

This sounds amazing!

May 30, 2018
I feel like I can probably achieve the bulk of it using Google Forms. I'll look into it this weekend. If anyone has any better ideas for implementation I'm all ears! I used to do more web design/development but not as much in the last 8 years or so.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Sounds fun. I'd be down.

Oct 25, 2017
Very down for this.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
I would use a site like that as well.

Man, last year's Betting Special Tournament was great. The brackets, the upsets, the nutrition raps, and it all coming down to Lara Croft.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Fun hypothetical: Which three special guests would you like to see play Mysterious Monsters over E3?

My picks - Cory Barlog / Geoff Keighley / Ashley Burch

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
Fun hypothetical: Which three special guests would you like to see play Mysterious Monsters over E3?

The ultimate dream (and I mean dream) would have been Phil Spencer, Shawn Layden and Reggie.

The somewhat realistic, almost feasible idea would be to pit the GameXplain crew against each other.

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass

I've always kind of wanted Arlo to be a guest star on something and have everyone else also be puppets but no one ever acknowledges it.

The logistics are impossible, I know but the heart kind of wants what the heart kind of wants.

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018

I'd love to see some of the GI staff on there. Hanson, Leo, Reiner, Kim, Reeves, Cork, Dan Tack. Hell, I just want them to be invited to the studio during E3 for the hell of it. They have a very similar vibe to EZA.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
The ultimate dream (and I mean dream) would have been Phil Spencer, Shawn Layden and Reggie.

The somewhat realistic, almost feasible idea would be to pit the GameXplain crew against each other.

I do think there is some sliver of a possibility you could get Phil Spencer

I've always kind of wanted Arlo to be a guest star on something and have everyone else also be puppets but no one ever acknowledges it.

The logistics are impossible, I know but the heart kind of wants what the heart kind of wants.

Nothing is impossible <3

DangerMan

Oct 29, 2017
Man, it'll really be a crusher if they don't bring TTE back. Really really hope they don't go that route, already lost Gundam streams and those two shows are my favourites of everything they make.

May 30, 2018
I would 100% use something like this
This sounds amazing!
Sounds fun. I'd be down.

Thanks for all of your replies! I've outlined a plan that relies heavily on Google Forms, and I have a friend who offered to help with implementation, so it should be ready by the time the betting special rolls around (I hope). I only wish I had started work on it originally back when I got the domain. Once it's done it should be able to act as a standardized form for betting specials going forward for users to easily fill out their answers for the latest betting special. After filling out a form users will be able to link to their results and share them on forums/twitter/etc.

Since the goal would be to have all bets publicly visible (otherwise what's the point?) and tracked on a leaderboard after results are revealed, does anyone have thoughts on implementation of Final Bets? Answers for almost all of the questions would be Shock (Yes) or Scoff (No) or numbers, but Final Bets would require freeform input. As much as I love to be positive about the community, anyone will be able to fill out a bet, so troublemakers could enter whatever they want in the final bet. I'd rather not have to try to implement a profanity checker but I'm not sure how else to go about it. I thought maybe linking a tweet with the Final Bet written out so it's tied to a person (and less likely to be anonymous garbage), but I don't know how people would feel about forcing Twitter integration.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
fireworksordie said:
Since the goal would be to have all bets publicly visible (otherwise what's the point?) and tracked on a leaderboard after results are revealed, does anyone have thoughts on implementation of Final Bets?

That's a good question. You could just ignore the final bets part of it for the participants and just track the main questions - I think that will suffice without making things overly complicated. Plus, then you'd save yourself from worrying about the same nuances the Allies have faced - "is this statement worthy of a final bet?", or if there are any kind of disputes after the fact if it counts or not.

May 30, 2018
That's a good question. You could just ignore the final bets part of it for the participants and just track the main questions - I think that will suffice without making things overly complicated. Plus, then you'd save yourself from worrying about the same nuances the Allies have faced - "is this statement worthy of a final bet?", or if there are any kind of disputes after the fact if it counts or not.

Final Bets definitely couldn't be tracked or tallied, but I'd love to feature them somehow. Since those are the hail marys of the whole competition, it would be fun for people to be able to look through and see what others wishes are - those are what would make the submissions stand out. And in another sense, even though the Final Bets they couldn't be tracked automatically, it would be pretty easy to manually check and tag a winner or two by eliminating any users who didn't got all of the predictions correct (matching the correct EZA results) and happened to nail their Final Bet as well. I'll keep thinking about it but like you implied, it's not crucial.

Aero

Oct 27, 2017
For Final Bets you could have it just be a choice between the two allies' final bets and you pick which one you think is most likely. Then if any of them did happen everyone who picked that final bet gets points.

May 30, 2018
For Final Bets you could have it just be a choice between the two allies' final bets and you pick which one you think is most likely. Then if any of them did happen everyone who picked that final bet gets points.

Yeah not bad. I'm leaning towards free input on honor system and just periodically checking and deleting if it comes to it - I'd rather let people share their form complete with their dream bet as opposed to having to note it spearately. Maybe just add a report button to allow flagging of anything nasty. If it did get bad I could always just disable the Final Bet section.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah not bad. I'm leaning towards free input on honor system and just periodically checking and deleting if it comes to it - I'd rather let people share their form complete with their dream bet as opposed to having to note it spearately. Maybe just add a report button to allow flagging of anything nasty. If it did get bad I could always just disable the Final Bet section.

Not to get too far ahead of things, but if you do end up making this site, maybe it'd be worth PMing a Twitch mod to see if it can be added as Moobot command to help to flesh out contributions, in addition to the eventual EZA Betting Special thread here on ERA. Anything to help signal boost it to the masses, haha.

May 30, 2018
Not to get too far ahead of things, but if you do end up making this site, maybe it'd be worth PMing a Twitch mod to see if it can be added as Moobot command to help to flesh out contributions, in addition to the eventual EZA Betting Special thread here on ERA. Anything to help signal boost it to the masses, haha.

For sure- I'd love to integrate it somehow by whatever means useful. I think there's enough time between now and the release of the betting special (which seems to be usually a few days before Day 1 of E3) to get the site up, have a test run - maybe last year's bets - and ensure it's operating as intended. Then see about reaching out to the Allies here or via Twitter once it's established. Ideally if I could get a bet list just before the video goes live so the site can be ready that would be helpful, but I'll try crossing that bridge once the site even exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.