• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I can almost guarantee you that they even would have talked about it if Sony didn't do it before them. It's just a huge difference/upgrade compared to previous generations of consoles since they changed to CD based systems. I was 95% positive they were going to mention load times. Especially after Sony did with those impressive demos.
Yeah, that was an extremely easy bet. It's a very easy thing to sell people on the generational upgrade because the difference is immediately noticeable (unlike the things people always harp on about like AI or physics). That plus both Sony and Stadia using short load times as selling points meant there was no way Microsoft were ever going to ignore it.

That said, Microsoft did a horrible job selling it. Sony had a demo set up to specifically demonstrate what an improvement it is and it did a great job selling people on the upgrade, whereas Microsoft had... PR fluff.

Szeth

Oct 25, 2017
Great stuff so far today. Love keeping the stream room involved in the post show discussions, hopefully they stick with that. Only bad part I can say is their feed of the conferences has been weirdly framey like 30fps. It's especially noticeable when I compare it to the direct feed. Also the random freezes but not sure if that's on their end or twitch's fault.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
There hasn't been a lot of cool stuff for them to react to unfortunately, but at least that Cyberpunk reaction was pretty great.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
Doing the podcast tonight and not tomorrow after nintendo is a strange choice

The podcast will already be a beefy one with plenty to discuss, and now Friend Code will also have a lot to discuss. It works two fold by forcing extra vIewers to Friend Code and allowing them to go more in-depth with an already wide array of topics on the main podcast.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't go with you guys on the leaks take. It's hype, I like it because it's fun to play along. But at the end of the day these things are commercials and while it impacts a marketing strategy I just cannot square that they cause tangible material harm like something like, say, Crunch does.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
The podcast will already be a beefy one with plenty to discuss, and now Friend Code will also have a lot to discuss. It works two fold by forcing extra vIewers to Friend Code and allowing them to go more in-depth with an already wide array of topics on the main podcast.

Ahhh, friend code isn't on the upcoming graphics so didn't know they were doing it

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
I can't go with you guys on the leaks take. It's hype, I like it because it's fun to play along. But at the end of the day these things are commercials and while it impacts a marketing strategy I just cannot square that they cause tangible material harm like something like, say, Crunch does.
Yeah, I like most Jones hot takes, but that one fell really flat for me. I guess there's an argument that contractors lose their jobs due to the leaks, but to me *that's* the transgression, not the leaks themselves. Leaks are not a crisis for anyone outside the marketing bubble

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I like most Jones hot takes, but that one fell really flat for me. I guess there's an argument that contractors lose their jobs due to the leaks, but to me *that's* the transgression, not the leaks themselves. Leaks are not a crisis for anyone outside the marketing bubble
Right, it's the company firing the guy because they couldn't like, physically take everybodies phones away that's the issue. Like, the consequences for leaks should not be "and you're fired for allowing it to happen" to some random contractor from a focus group in bumblefuck nowhere.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Jones talking about the media taking a stance on crunch and microtransactions but giving leaks a pass was... weird.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
You have to understand Jones' point of view. The simple truth is reactions are huge for EZA. In terms of Youtube, reactions are THE money maker for them. Look at the top of the Most Popular sort option for their videos:

48041343398_db135b67eb_o.png

If they have the information leaked, they will not react strongly to the announcement. For them to act strongly to information they already know would be for them to act insincere, and I don't believe they are. And, in that moment, with the Keanu appearance, Jones realized that THIS is why he doesn't like leaks. Leaks don't create reactions like that, and it was a great reaction. It was a lot of fun.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
You have to understand Jones' point of view. The simple truth is reactions are huge for EZA. For Youtube, reactions are THE money maker for them. Look at the top of the Most Popular sort option for their videos:

If they have the information leaked, they will not react strongly to the announcement. For them to act strongly to information they already know would be for them to act insincere, and I don't believe they are. And, in that moment, with the Keanu appearance, Jones realized that THIS is why he doesn't like leaks. Leaks don't create reactions like that, and it was a great reaction. It was a lot of fun.
I understand why *Jones* hates leaks, and respect that Jones hates leaks. But he seemed to be trying to make the case that this is an industry wide crisis that serious journalists should be reporting on, and I thought it came across as incredibly hamfisted.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
You have to understand Jones' point of view. The simple truth is reactions are huge for EZA. In terms of Youtube, reactions are THE money maker for them. Look at the top of the Most Popular sort option for their videos:

I don't think Jones is selfishly looking at it in this way. I think his point came out a little wrong, but he mainly wanted there to be a greater awareness and accountability in the industry to stop leaks. Unfortunately journalists aren't willing to carry the mantle quite yet since they rely on leaks for clicks. It is such a difficult situation for all parties.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Jones is selfishly looking at it in this way. I think his point came out a little wrong, but he mainly wanted there to be a greater awareness and accountability in the industry to stop leaks. Unfortunately journalists aren't willing to carry the mantle quite yet since they rely on leaks for clicks. It is such a difficult situation for all parties.
I don't think he's looking it at selfishly. But he's a business guy. I think that's a factor for him. And I think his point of view beyond business is that he loves the live surprise element.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
"..I don't know if i can get back in" LOL!
These are the stories from E3 that make these nights so good.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
So glad they have those screens now. Will be interesting to see how they utilize them in the future (b-roll is an obvious thing. Not sure why they didn't do it this year, but it was probably a matter of them setting it up just a day before E3).

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
Going back to watch some older E3 stuff from EZA, and Huber yelling out "Animal Crossing" right before the Super Mario Odyssey trailer two years ago really cements how long we've all been waiting for this game, lmao.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think he's looking it at selfishly. But he's a business guy. I think that's a factor for him. And I think his point of view beyond business is that he loves the live surprise element.
Jones used to go on rants about leaks back at GT, when they were pretty lousy at capitalising on reactions videos (if you go back to the classic Sony E3 2015, the video that went viral was done by FarisR/SomeGameNews, not GT), so it isn't because he's thinking of EZA's business. I'm pretty sure it all comes down to Jones being a fan of marketing (as he said to everyone's disgust in last weeks podcast), so he's against leaks because they disrupt the marketing campaigns corporations have come up with. And yeah, on a personal level he's definitely into the live surprise element.

Personally, I think the secrecy surrounding game development is fucking dumb and makes the industry look childish. I also find it weird that Cory Barlog argued against Schreier the other day when he's the guy who off-handedly said he was working on a new God of War game like 2 years before they announced it.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Jones used to go on rants about leaks back at GT, when they were pretty lousy at capitalising on reactions videos (if you go back to the classic Sony E3 2015, the video that went viral was done by FarisR/SomeGameNews, not GT), so it isn't because he's thinking of EZA's business. I'm pretty sure it all comes down to Jones being a fan of marketing (as he said to everyone's disgust in last weeks podcast), so he's against leaks because they disrupt the marketing campaigns corporations have come up with. And yeah, on a personal level he's definitely into the live surprise element.

Personally, I think the secrecy surrounding game development is fucking dumb and makes the industry look childish. I also find it weird that Cory Barlog argued against Schreier the other day when he's the guy who off-handedly said he was working on a new God of War game like 2 years before they announced it.
They may be tongue-in-cheek, but they don't call him Brand Manager for nothing. He likes the business side of stuff.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
I haven't watched the podcast yet, but I am somewhat torn on leaks.

While I don't mind leaks too much myself, I have seen the thread on here (although only a part of it) where they ask gamedevs about leaks:
www.resetera.com

Game devs of Resetera, how do leaks impact your work?

Thought I might as well ask the devs out there. Lot of back and forth about leaks and how they impact game development and game devs. So devs of Resetera. How do/have leaks impacted your work?

I honestly do think that it can suck for devs to work toward a show like E3, creating the best reveal for the game they are working on only to see it leaked just before E3. I can see how that can be demoralizing knowing that it could have gotten way more hype if people didn't know.

I guess it depends on how it was leaked. I know Nintendo has been draconian on leaks, I believe firing people and doing childish moves like punishing North America from getting games earlier and stuff like that. But while I think it is ridiculous that they punish a whole continent, I can understand why they try their best to punish the people who leak (even though they went way overboard that time).

I do think it can kill some reveals and even some press conferences. That said, I do understand why the gamesmedia is covering leaks and I do understand that journalists cover leaks if they are verified because, it's their job to be journalists.

I'm not sure if there is a lot that you can do about them and I personally don't mind them, but it must be a huge blow to some of the devs if they happen. I don't think they can kill a game (at least if announcements are leaked, leaking the end of a game before it comes out is something I can not support), but they can demoralize a team that worked on a trailer and a demo for months.

I am sure that some '"leaks" are done by marketing though (but not the ones before E3 or with the ending of a game).
At least no Nintendo Leaks lol
You don't want to know what Nintendo does if they catch you leaking stuff ;).
They fine/sue and punish people pretty heavily from what I have read.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
The Elden Ring trailer turned out, for me, to be rather lacklustre.

But just imagine seeing that for the first time without any prior knowledge of that collaboration. That would've been more breathtaking than Keanu Reeves walking on stage.

Piichan

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
As someone who has to protect NDAs myself, I really am not a fan of leakers. It just reeks of unprofessionalism to get 15 mins of online fame. People are willfully breaching contracts for their own pleasure, making it harder for their colleagues to do their jobs.

I don't mind journalists reporting on leaks though. That's their job, and even necessary in bringing to light things like bad business practices.

Monkeynuts

Jan 17, 2019
havent been able to catch as much of the streams as i would have liked this year. what have their viewership/metrics been like this year? im really hoping the studio has given them a deserved boost

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
havent been able to catch as much of the streams as i would have liked this year. what have their viewership/metrics been like this year? im really hoping the studio has given them a deserved boost
Their Cyberpunk reaction has over 500k views at the moment. Sure, that could have happened before as well, but that video is doing well for sure and brought them almost 2k subs on 2 days. I don't know if their Twitch is doing better than normal.

Last edited:

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
People seem to want to jam together marketing leaks and working condition leaks together. They're not the same thing at all. Marketing leaks are a really shitty thing to do that really dampens everyone's excitement and can hurt team morale. There is no legitimate reason to leak that kind of stuff at all.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Somewhere in this discussion there's a good Cup of Jones question about the difference between not being bothered by spoilers because he can still enjoy the story and being bothered by leaks because they ruin marketing campaigns, for which the answer will be insightful or damning regarding video game culture or both, but I can't find the right phrasing for it.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Their Cyberpunk reaction has over 500k reactions at the moment. Sure, that could have happened before as well, but that video is doing well for sure and brought them almost 2k subs on 2 days. I don't know if their Twitch is doing better than normal.

Wow at those views.

Keanu has blessed them.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Wow, 500k?

Last time I saw it it was 300k.

Very smart idea to clip it out.
Yeah, it's growing very quickly (although it seems to have somewhat died down).
When I checked yesterday (I think at around 4am for me before going to bed, but maybe I checked it earlier), it had around 300k views and when I woke up a couple of hours later it had 500k. Maybe I am misremembering, but I saw 300k the last time I checked as well.

Last edited:

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
On the topic of leaks.... I agree and disagree with what they talked about on the podcast last night.

On one hand, they definitely suck. They completely ruin the surprises of E3 and really drain the excitement out of an announcement that may lead to more sales for the game.

On the other hand, I believe its the viewers job to avoid those spoilers if they are going to be impacted that greatly by them. If you cant watch the basketball game at the time it airs, its your responsibility to avoid ESPN/Twitter at all costs so that you dont see the score. I feel the same way about E3 in way.

However, the big difference with that comparison is that you KNOW when the basketball game is. You know when the score will be out there and you know when to go media black out. With game leaks, it can happen at any time and any where. Its much tougher to avoid spoilers when there is no set time and date for the leak to occur.

The big thing I took away from the podcast last night though is that companies should not rest on the idea that the announcement of their game is their entire marketing strategy/E3 presentation. Bring more than just a title card. Bring more than just a 15 second teaser with the directors names on it. Games will always get leaked, but you can combat that leak potential by bringing more to the table than just an announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.