• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
FfsyRky.jpg

Overall E3 bump seems bigger than normal too. Good things are happening.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like a waste of Kyle's time and talents to have him simply announce the host coming out at the E3 Coliseum once every half hour or so. But I guess he loves doing it for some reason, so oh well.

I don't think it is bad for the allies, or Kyle, to keep strong connections to Keighley. Industry ties are always going to be a great benefit. Also, Kyle may just enjoy working with Keighley.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it is bad for the allies, or Kyle, to keep strong connections to Keighley. Industry ties are always going to be a great benefit. Also, Kyle may just enjoy working with Keighley.
Those are both true, but my point remains. If he's going to be with Keighley, it's too bad that it's not a more substantial role.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Hey y'all, is it just me or does anyone else hear a sort of audio glitch at certain times? I've had this issue for a while with their streams but I thought it was my computer or something.

May 30, 2018
Hey y'all, is it just me or does anyone else hear a sort of audio glitch at certain times? I've had this issue for a while with their streams but I thought it was my computer or something.

is it where it's almost kind of wooooshy or like someone covered the sound in plastic wrap temporarily? if so i hear it all the time (especially when they're opening packages at the end of tuesday streams) and it bums me out.

EDIT: also i just tuned in and hear a lot of audio compression artifacts that you'd hear with a pretty low bit rate audio stream - not the same as the issues they had this morning. i don't think it's usually this way in the Tuesday night streams, but i'd be surprised if they had changed anything. sometimes with streaming like this you gotta just hope for the best and that it doesn't get worse. there's so many variables i don't blame them at all.

i reached out to the crew at giant bomb east about an audio stutter glitch that was plaguing their videos for a couple months last year, cataloging instances so we could identify the source. i wanted to help without sounding ungrateful, and i'm thrilled vinny responded positively and was able to get it back to normal. relying on technology is maddening

Last edited:
May 30, 2018
Yeah, it's especially evident whenever someone makes an Sssssss sound. Almost like the audio corrupts for a sec.

yeah, that's definitely compression artifacts. i'd be interested to know what bit rate they're outputting at and whether there are other compression settings in play- the thing is that that never happens in their recorded content, so something in the live chain must be causing the artifacting.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
yeah, that's definitely compression artifacts. i'd be interested to know what bit rate they're outputting at and whether there are other compression settings in play- the thing is that that never happens in their recorded content, so something in the live chain must be causing the artifacting.
Yeah, it definitely is happening in XSplit. They really need to take a look at their settings. I'll ask a question at the next Cup of Jones to take a look because it definitely bothers me.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
I said it before but i really hope they're recording these locally tonight, they've uploaded a few videos on youtube now that have stream stutter in them.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Yeah, I hear it too. It's like that since they bought/use a compressor some (weeks/months ?) ago. I heard it on the groupstreams as well like I posted yesterday.
It's not the worst thing in the world and I hardly ever hear it during normal conversation, but I did hear it after the fix a couple of times when Ben was excited and talked relatively close into the mic (please Ben and other allies, don't let this change the way your react/act).

It usually doesn't bother me that much, except when they were unpacking gifts during groupstreams the last couple of times. The crumpling of bags or packing material sounds really weird through that compressor, like you computer is giving up on the sound as it produces a lot of audio glitches.

I am not 100% sure it started when they got their compressor, but I remember that Jones talking about the compressor on CoJ and I can't remember that I ever noticed those glitches before that point.

Edit:
It's for sure possible it's a problem with XSplit and that compressor. Or maybe it's a software compressor and I misunderstood Jones. I know more-or-less what an audio compressor does, but that's as far as my knowledge goes. I don't know if it's software only or hardware or whatever.

I know I have heard music albums before where the compressor on the drums annoyed me a lot though. It can sound like they are played by computer instead of a person on a real drum. It can sound really fake.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Slowly catching up with all their streams on YouTube. Unfortunately the PC Gaming Show video is completely out of sync.

Thumbs up for the rest of the uploads though. Good stuff as usual.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
it also helps that for some reason cyberpunk 2077 is just huge on youtube, both this trailer and the gameplay trailer demo last year have millions and millions of views, the E3 trailer has 8.1M and the gameplay demo 16M, there is a huge audience for this game.
Pretty sure CD Projekt is running their trailers/demos as ads, so it's hard to tell how accurate those numbers are. Like if you look at all the trailers last E3, Fallout 76 ended up with the most views but most of those obviously came from ads.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
It was honestly a genius move by Blood to put "w/ Keanu Reeves" in the title. It's a little clickbaity, but not a lot and it isn't a lie.
But I'm happy to see that viewcount keeps growing at this pace.
have they given their impressions for FFVII yet?
They did:

You can also watch the whole Square Enix Presentation on youtube (this one is cut from that video).

Edit:
Or do you mean from the floor? I haven't watched their impressions yet, so I'm not sure if they did.

Tsosie

Oct 28, 2017
Buffalo, New York
I really hope we hear about Astral Chain today. I can not wait to hear how that game actually feels. Watching the Treehouse stream just got me more pumped on that game. I am ready for Platinum's magnum opus!

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
There's an actual Glinny's Cauldron game jam?!
Apparently

I think it's a great idea. Not sure how much will come out of it as I don't think it's a crazy amount of time they get, but there are a lot of talented people in the EZA community, so who knows.

Apparently 39 people joined, that's certainly not a small amount.

I am very curious what will come out of this anyway.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone remember if Ben ever talked about Daemon x Machina on a stream somewhere? He mentioned playing the demo during the direct, but I couldn't find his impressions anywhere.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not yet. Day 1 is usually for the big hitters. Last night they stated that a bunch of them were going to Nintendo today, so we may get a large Nintendo breakdown.
Sorry, I meant back when the demo originally launched (February I think). I looked around at old Frame Traps, but didn't see it anywhere in the timestamps. Probably just didn't have a lot to say about it at the time.

Jords

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2018
New Zealand
I am sorry I can't stop watching the leather jacket Blood burn from Bosman. Also love Bosmans reaction to Keanu, so smooth a i need a gif of that

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just watching this week's podcast and thought Jones complaining that games media will criticise crunch, loot boxes etc but not leaks was really quite offensive and ignorant of the subjects.

Cruch causes serious mental and physical health issues for thousands of people, robbing them of any sort of work life balance and even ruining lives and relationships.

Loot boxes are unregulated predatory tools that again ruins lives by targeting people with addiction problems or causing new addicts.

Leaks are nothing in comparison, contracts will have already been agreed and it only really causes problems with how the campaign will go forward.

I know Jones likes to play brand manager but his dismissive tone about these issues made me worry that he has more in common with them then I had thought.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just watching this week's podcast and thought Jones complaining that games media will criticise crunch, loot boxes etc but but not leaks was really quite offensive and ignorant of the subjects.

Cruch causes serious mental and physical health issues for thousands of people, robbing them of any sort of work life balance and even ruining lives and relationships.

Loot boxes are unregulated predatory tools that again ruins lives by targeting people with addiction problems or causing new addicts.

Leaks are nothing in comparison, contracts will have already been agreed and it only really causes problems with how the campaign will go forward.

I know Jones likes to play brand manager but his dismissive tone about these issues made me worry that he has more in common with them then I had thought.

leaks sometimes doom the final product to the inicial perception of the public, like how this new game by ninja theory is already a meh by everyone even before seeing it or even announcing it.

sometimes that happens.

Crunch is a real health problem and I agree that it is a bigger issue. Loot boxes I don't aggree, that is just a business model that might be a little on the wild side, but that isn't by any means close to the crunching problem.

And in any case, no one is saying which is more problematic, is just that no one pays attention to the leaking problem.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
Just watching this week's podcast and thought Jones complaining that games media will criticise crunch, loot boxes etc but not leaks was really quite offensive and ignorant of the subjects.

I agree it came off really weird and dismissive but I think he just made his point really badly. I think the point he was trying to make is that leaks hurt devs too yet nobody seems to care about that not to put it on par with things that are far more damaging. I'd have to listen to it again though, Jones definitely has some views on the industry I don't agree with but in this case I don't think he was being purposefully dismissive.

Last edited:

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
leaks sometimes doom the final product to the inicial perception of the public, like how this new game by ninja theory is already a meh by everyone even before seeing it or even announcing it.

sometimes that happens.

Crunch is a real health problem and I agree that it is a bigger issue. Loot boxes I don't aggree, that is just a business model that might be a little on the wild side, but that isn't by any means close to the crunching problem.

And in any case, no one is saying which is more problematic, is just that no one pays attention to the leaking problem.
I will be honest, if your game can't survive because it got leaked a week before the planned reveal then it wasn't gonna survive anyway.

Leaking a long time before could maybe cause some impact but again, if your premise is good enough it will still be fine.

I completely disagree with your stance on loot boxes, there have been studies and reports on the effects they have and they simply are gambling and have factually caused suffering for people with addiction problems and caused new addicts in children. All of this without any sort of regulations put in place.

Jones didn't outright say it was more important but his tone was of clear frustration and anger towards games media for not covering it yet covering the other issues. Maybe that's not how he meant it but his tone was completely dismissive of the seriousness of the subjects in comparison to leaks.
I agree it came off really weird and dismissive but I think he just made his point really badly. I think the point he was trying to make is that leaks hurt devs too yet nobody seems to care about that not to put it on poor with things that are far more damaging. I'd have to listen to it again though, Jones definitely has some views on the industry I don't agree with but in this case I don't think he was being purposefully dismissive.
Yeah maybe he didn't mean it in a malicious way and could have phrased it better, I'm open to that. Its just the way he brought it up and was really jarring and made me instantly take notice.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium

sometimes that happens.

You're saying that people that go broke and become homeless because they are addicted to lootboxes isn't as bad?
It has been proven that lootboxes can cause real issues in people who tend to have an addictive personality.

I agree that this probably isn't the case in most people, but you can't deny the insane amount of money some people spend on those things.
Last year somebody asked EA how much they spent on lootboxes and he was flabbergasted that it was 20k+. He said he was still fine because he had enough exposabel income, but the big problem is that people don't even realise how much they spend on them.

I know it's easy to say that those people should learn how to spend their money, but having an addictive personality is somewhat of a disease in the way that they can't always help this without going to therapy. There are a lot of people who probably can spend on gambling (including lootboxes) without it becoming a problem, but some people can't do that and that's why gambling is regulated in the first place.

While I understand his stance on leaks and I probably would prefer that leaks don't exist myself, it's clearly the least destructive of those 3.
Yes, it will demoralize developers and it can hurt a project a lot, which is not ok, but not to the extend of killing yourself by working too much (by being pressured in working too much) or possibly losing everything you have (or breeding addicts in children) by unregulated gambling.

Last edited:

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You're saying that people that go broke and become homeless because they are addicted to lootboxes isn't as bad?
It has been proven that lootboxes can cause real issues in people who tend to have an addictive personality.

I agree that this probably isn't the case in most people, but you can't deny the insane amount of money some people spend on those things.
Last year somebody asked EA how much they spent on lootboxes and he was flabbergasted that it was 20k+. He said he was still fine because he had enough exposabel income, but the big problem is that people don't even realise how much they spend on them.

I know it's easy to say that those people should learn how to spend their money, but having an addictive personality is somewhat of a disease in the way that they can't always help this without going to therapy. There are a lot of people who probably can spend on gambling (including lootboxes) without it becoming a problem, but some people can't do that and that's why gambling is regulated in the first place.

While I understand his stance on leaks and I probably would prefer that leaks don't exist myself, it's clearly the least destructive of those 3.
Yes, it will demoralize developers and it can hurt a project a lot, which is not ok, but not to the extend of killing yourself by working too much (by being pressured in working too much) or possibly losing everything you have (or breeding addicts in children) by unregulated gambling.

no, I'm not saying that, I'm saying that they frequency at which the crunch is happening (which almost every big studio has done) is far more alarming than the gambling adictions, which of course is a problem, but the cruch is so prevalent in this industry that devs just know they'll have to deal with crunching at some time in the development of a game.

I mean, when we get suprised by insomniac when they made the statement of not crunching for spiderman or about nintendo delaying animal crossing for the sake of their employees is just stunning, that should be the norm, not the exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.