• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed seeing Damiani run basically a commentary track over his own Link's Awakening footage, good stuff there.

MarcoGorgar

Oct 27, 2017
Rio de Janeiro

A big improvement. hehe

D864dvjWwAEQbpF.jpg

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
no, I'm not saying that, I'm saying that they frequency at which the crunch is happening (which almost every big studio has done) is far more alarming than the gambling adictions, which of course is a problem, but the cruch is so prevalent in this industry that devs just know they'll have to deal with crunching at some time in the development of a game.

I mean, when we get suprised by insomniac when they made the statement of not crunching for spiderman or about nintendo delaying animal crossing for the sake of their employees is just stunning, that should be the norm, not the exception.
I do agree with you on crunch. It's crazy that they boast with not having crunch.

That said, I am not convinced that it's only game companies though. My guess is that most software companies probably have periods of crunch.
Most journalists (including our EZA, especially now during E3) have crunch and a lot of people in the restaurant and café business have too (although it's not specifically crunch, but it's still a crazy amount of hours, granted not all of those hours are official). And I'm sure there are plenty of other professions who have to deal with crunch.

It's probably not as bad as gamedevs have it (with probably the exception of the restaurant business, which is insane from what I hear).

But I do agree that percentage wise, crunch is by far the most prevalent issue of these 3.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Having now listened to it, the two weird bits of logic with Jones lumping in leaks with crunch and loot boxes are A) he assumes everyone agrees that leaks cause signifcant damage, B) he assumes that it is the job of news media to help prevent leaks.

Even the panel struggled to come up with examples where leaks were damaging other than in the sorta way a child opening christmas presents early is damaging. And then it's the job of journalists to uncover and inform, rather than hide secrets and only tell people what people are allowed to know.

Kyle was also weirdly one-sided with his hot take about why leakers leak, when we have ample evidence that many people are equally horny to hear and read leaks as soon as they can. Being the first to know is part of the thrill for many enthusiasts of any hobby.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
lmao
Watching the stream and everyones loopy at this point. Crackin me up. E3 is the best time of year man.

Also, return of Easy Livin' just announced, Friday July 26 - 28th.

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta agree with most here. That Jones comment/comparison on leaks was a weird take. I understand not liking leaks, and that it can be very frustrating for the company, but there ARE actually rules & regulations to prevent leaks. Nintendo did it this year with a cease & desist on this twitter account, there's NDA's you can distribute etc. If something leaks it's most often cause an employee didnt do his job correctly. They probably send a trailer where they are not supposed to or didn'r send an NDA beforehand. Example: dude working extra hours on his laptop in the train showing footage of an unnanounced game. In this example crunch is actually the root of the leak lol.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
I thought it was already announced actually. Some time ago during CoJ, but maybe it wasn't set in stone yet.
The end of july is actually better for me as I usually have some days off during that time, so it will be easier to watch for me.

Oct 25, 2017
I will be honest, if your game can't survive because it got leaked a week before the planned reveal then it wasn't gonna survive anyway.

*snip*

I absolutely agree with you and I think this E3 (and past E3s) had several good examples.

The games that leaks hurt are ones whose mere existence is the surprise, and those are rarely great reveals to begin with because they are so limited. And mostly, people will forget about reveals a year from now anyways. I don't think anyone cares that Bloodborne was leaked prior to reveal. Similarly, no one is going to remember that Elden Ring got leaked the moment we get gameplay because a CGI trailer is so incredibly uninteresting in the lifecycle if a videogame.

On the other hand, Watch Dogs Legion leaked. It's entire premise leaked. Several people, including me, were down on it because it sounded over ambitious and bad.

But the Watch Dogs trailer, despite the leak, despite the negative reception to the leak, was one of the best presentations at E3. And Ubisoft did this before too. With Mario and Rabbids, which had an incredible turn around from the negative reception at leak to the positive reception at reveal.

And there are a ton of examples of leaks not hampering the reveal when the reveal is itself good. TLOU2, Bloodborne, GoW, Horizon, all were leaked and all had stellar showings.

To me, most folks blame leaks for what are otherwise simply medicore reveals premised on revealing the mere existence of a game. Those are not good reveals, and the surprise factor never lasts long, and will never prop it up to be anymore than a medicore reveal once more substantive information on the game comes out.

Last edited:

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I understand why the guy who said "I'm not a big fan of ff7, when I am a big fan of is marketing campaigns" would have a very strange take on leaks and their impact on marketing a game and controlling the narrative. Though I agree with the above at the end of the day great games will impress despite their leaks, and in some cases a leak completely blind sides people to the real announcement ie everyone expected trials of mana localization as part of collection of mana... nobody expect a trials of mana 3d remake.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
I don't want to be annoying about it but in addition to the sync issues the freezes in the YouTube videos are a bit disappointing to me. I don't know where I got this, but I thought EZA used local recordings nowadays?

Bloodworth

Oct 28, 2017
I do know about the others (see the rest of my tweets on the issue) it seems they broke on YouTube after I checked them, which sucks.
I don't want to be annoying about it but in addition to the sync issues the freezes in the YouTube videos are a bit disappointing to me. I don't know where I got this, but I thought EZA used local recordings nowadays?
We stopped regularly doing local recordings as they clearly effected performance of the live streams. Also, if that's what we were going to use for YouTube, we wouldn't be even starting to put our videos on YouTube until tonight. It's a significant difference in the amount of time it takes. It was a new setup streaming from a different PC, so yeah these tech issues are definitely one of our biggest takeaways for improvements.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
I do know about the others (see the rest of my tweets on the issue) it seems they broke on YouTube after I checked them, which sucks.

We stopped regularly doing local recordings as they clearly effected performance of the live streams. Also, if that's what we were going to use for YouTube, we wouldn't be even starting to put our videos on YouTube until tonight. It's a significant difference in the amount of time it takes. It was a new setup streaming from a different PC, so yeah these tech issues are definitely one of our biggest takeaways for improvements.

Thanks for the reply Blood. It makes sense but I didn't really realize local recordings came with those downsides, so I just assumed you kept doing them. Bit of a shame they effected the live streams though, it would've been good if they were available as an option for use when you run into tech issues like these.

Anyway, yeah I know you had to deal with a new streaming setup so add that to it and the issues are quite understandable. Glad to hear you guys'll try to improve this in the future.

Indominus

Jan 11, 2018
I don't know if it is too late, but when i was watching some of the old E3 conferences reactions i notice that the Bethesda E3 2016 reactions is totally muted on YouTube. I was able to watch on Twitch without any problem tho.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Jirad is great and fits in really well with the others.
Not seen much stuff by him but think i'll have to check his vids out.

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
Jirad is great and fits in really well with the others.
Not seen much stuff by him but think i'll have to check his vids out.

Same for me. Loved the atmosphere and the easy flow of the conversation.

The studio also turning into a hub for others when in LA is an unexpected but welcome development.

I feel like Friend Code should start with "Everyone is here" this time.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
One of the all time best Friend Codes...if not the best. What a great panel, everyone was super natural. Major props to Damiani for arranging that! Definitely need to look into Jirard and Daan's channels now.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I know that the EZA impressions for MUA3 weren't the most glowing (at least with the Completionist, IDK if they had different impressions), but the only thing I needed to hear from them was "If you're a fan of Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2, this is the game for you"
Day fucking 1, gonna put so much fucking time into this game

Talal

Unbreakable
Oct 25, 2017
I started working on a desire index website last year then gave up on it when they dropped the segment. Really regret now lol.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
On the subject of Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, I wonder if they knew about the 'Hero Camera' that changes the game camera to be right behind your character. You can only use it when playing locally with other systems or online, so obvious not during the single system, co-op, E3 Demo, but it sounds like that little change might address a lot of their concerns.

I know in the footage I have seen of it (primarily from Game Informer snippets) I feel like it gets rid of the "where's my character" issue and makes the entire thing feel more like an action game. Hopefully they'll check it out come review time, I am curious to hear how much it actually changes the experience

Last edited:

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One of the funniest moments from their E3 coverage lol:

2de498579270fdc1a42fba52817cf3a0.gif

Brad created the Gorgeous Gorillas, and he's the one who does the sound best. Gotta respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.