• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
I think if the exclusive shows weren't exclusives the sentiment around here would be a bit different. They're the inventive, shortform content that would do great with a wide audience.

I know Blood's point about exclusivity driving patreon support but I think if instead of a 1 episode free/everything else exclusive, if they did 70% free 30% exclusive it would do better for EZA as a whole. But idk, I don't have the stats.

I miss Fun/Dumb Game Mondays. I really don't think Kyle should be doing near 8 hour streams making a Gameboy Game when he's still making Box Peek.

I was ready to post on this thread saying the content from EZA I'm enjoying the most is Kyle's GB game making stream. lol

But I do miss him playing games, he really should go back to streaming on mondays by now...

Since it's time for this quarter's edition of the annual airing of grievances, I'll repeat what I said when the thread had the same discussion four months ago: The 52k tier is secretly the most important tier, because it provides a buffer between studio-level-income and not-studio-level income. Full playthroughs are a perfect fit for that slot, since they are desired by the community but don't require a huge additional commitment of time or money (both of which would eat into the buffer). If you want to scrap guaranteed monthly full playthroughs or fold them into the studio tier, I'd like to hear ideas for what could replace them as 52k goal that's equally or more attractive and requires as much or less investment.

Honestly, by this point everyone knows the studio is here to stay, whatever happens. (Unless, idk, their patreon falls to 25k)

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Coincidentally they talk a bit about the state of the patreon and that they're thinking of "the next step" on the podcast this week (that was recorded before it became the topic of discussion in the thread I'm pretty sure).

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Coincidentally they talk a bit about the state of the patreon and that they're thinking of "the next step" on the podcast this week (that was recorded before it became the topic of discussion in the thread I'm pretty sure).

It's pretty funny how that worked out lol.

Also of you havnt looked at the merch store in awhile they have been adding a lot of stuff over the past few months. Theres salmon globe stuff, pride shirts and hats, easy livin stuff as well as some other things.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
I am still curious if it has to do with people setting too high of expectations for the studio or if it's something else. It seems both of you and most people can't exactly put their finger on what they feel is missing, which makes it somewhat tough for EZA to adapt.
I believe it was on a Cup of Jones specifically, but also just a general sentiment about the studio in general that it would allow for an influx of new, dynamic content. The reason they didn't do random little bits is because the garage was the only filming space, and people essentially booked the area and there wasn't much anyone could do outside of that unless it was off-site. It was implied, or at least stated to be possible that once the studio happened, there would be more possibilities and variety for content, as well as just freedom in general. People would be chilling in the studio and could have an idea for something off-the-cuff and they could film it there regardless if the stage was in use.

As for the vibe.. yeah it's hard to put into words. It could just be a subconcious thing based on the setting (although I love the new studio) or just "stale" format, but it's starting to come across like more of a job these days in their content.

Oct 26, 2017

Funny how stuff works lol. But it does validate a liiiittle bit of the stuff we've talked about.

But honestly, just that small conversation does a ton. Knowing they're looking at it is a good thing.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
(I apologize in advance for the word vomit. I just had a decent amount of time where I had to wait around and couldn't do much else and I haven't listened yet to the pod where they maybe(?) discussed changes...)

I just really don't think their Patreon numbers would take a negative hit in the least if they removed past and future show goals as rewards. Like I said earlier, I strongly believe the draw to their Patreon is to "support" them and for the exclusive shows/early access and community participation. Just make their goal something like, "with your financial assistance, Easy Allies will continue making the shows you expect from us along with completely new ideas."

And in my instance, it's directly dissuaded me from giving them more money as things can be taken from us on a whim through no personal fault and also devaluing the money that I do give as others lower their pledges (not meant as a slight for people doing that, it's just the reality that the average $ amount has gone down as more have joined).

To illustrate my point, I gladly would have pledged a hefty amount of $ (in addition to my normal Patreon pledge) if they held a fundraiser for Mysterious Monsters. I'm wayyy more comfortable with that funding method then something that is consistently teetering on the edge of cancellation at all times. It's just awkward, and frankly, I really disliked how they dealt with it in the past when these forced show hiatus' have happened and it just induces the least "jolly of vibes." On the other hand, fundraisers (when done sparingly) can be fun as hell! Last time we got shiny new tech improvements and one of the most fun streams EZA has ever done.

(Sidenote: I really liked the suggestion of Mysterious Monsters being released in a "seasonal" format rather than just once a month. Once a month does that show and the Easy Allies channel no favors by being released so infrequently.

With all that said, here's some more miscellaneous constructive criticisms/suggestions/who the hell knows whats:

-Their group stream night is an extreme relic from the past. While I'll take a group stream over a solo stream 10/10 times, a once-a-week 2-hourish 9 person chaos stream that starts "late" (for basically everyone not in the Pacific timezone) on a Tuesday night makes just zero sense. It might have made sense when they were new and working out of Jones' garage, but now, not so much.

-Marathon filming days should also be a thing of the past. I know they don't intend this to be a typical "9-5" job, but I can't think of a good reason why they can't all "work" from the office 2/3 times per week. Everyone would be available for smaller group streams/filming podcasts in other rooms/filming miscellaneous things and having person to person group interaction and being able to offer assistance. Easy Allies is the overwhelming source of their incomes for 8 out of 9 of them, and I can't roll my eyes hard enough when I hear people talking about LA traffic and whatnot as reasons to work from home instead of at their incredible studio a few times per week. I'm not talking constant broadcasting during these days, but more "all hands on deck" for planning, filming, or to be flexible to make something timely and relevant when news breaks.

To be crystal clear here, I'm not calling them "lazy" or anything in that orbit here. They're just operating like Easy Allies is still in its infancy and are slow to change. They have a studio that is all theirs and the resources to collaborate on something great.

- I about coughed up something earlier when someone said Kyle would be working on his Gameboy Game for another year or so. I f'n love Kyle, but he's 25+ months in to Box Peek and is on episode 7. Box Peek, I extremely enjoy(!), but at this point he just needs to get it done as he's almost assuredly not making season 2 (or is it 3?). He's one of the main driving forces of creativity for this group and he's unfortunately made himself a bit of a hermit for the past 2+ years.
Obviously, streaming at midnight on Friday nights is likely not taking away "EZA time," I just wish/hope his next thing is something in the studio and with the rest of the group that they find some immediate success with. Also, I really miss watching him play games.

(Also hurts that he isn't doing this in Dreams so we could play it. Yeah...I know his feelings on Dreams. A shame)

- Podcast/show/sponsors. While there are some f'n legends in the EZA community throwing out the big bucks each month, is there a reason why they don't have more "official" sponsors. I listen to many podcasts with wayyy less viewers/listeners than EZA has, and they have more "traditional" sponsors. Hah, this isn't me clamoring for that!, but it seems dicey to rely on individuals with absolutely nothing to promote to be at the highest tier Patreon level. I adore them for it, but it's tough and it causes drastic swings obviously in the Patreon #''s.

- Like I said up top, I think the future success in their Patreon isn't locking shows behind goals, but instead improving on their exclusive shows, early access and community participation rewards. This is something I hope they seriously brainstorm as I think it's key to taking them to bigger and better things. Here's some of my half-baked recommendations:

-Easier said then done: but ALWAYS having a Patreon exclusive show besides Cup of Jones going. Here's some suggestions: 1) a somewhat regular show/podcast that discusses all things next gen consoles and their hopes and dreams for them. 2) Watch old E3 or major game press conferences and talk over them. 3) Behind the scenes office shenanigans.

-Bring back the EZA Group Stream Committee tier. Yeah, last time it was a bit of a mess, but how about Patrons of that tier are able to submit stream ideas and then the powers that be at EZA pick their 5 or so favorite suggestions out of the all the suggestions (not necessarily the most popular) and then it is put to a Patron vote about once per month.

...(next one is bad)...

-The $1 tier is a steal! In a bad way for them! Getting spoiler modes, Cup of Jones and exclusive shows for a buck is a helluva deal to basically have access to "all" Easy Allies produces. I know they just want to get people "in the door," but you basically get the entire smorgasbord of everything they have ever made for a buck. As someone who has zero creativity and doesn't get his jollies by Jones reading his name at the end of podcasts, I'd basically be losing out on "nothing" but lowering my pledge to a dollar.

Oct 25, 2017
The upward swing of the Patreon has more to do with the changes we made at the same time as the fundraiser, although I think the fundraiser played a role in sparking that initial awareness. Adding exclusive shows really gave something tangible for people to pay for.

As for the thread's topics for the past day, there's definitely sentiments I disagree with, but I'm not going to argue with people point by point. There are also a few common threads worth considering.

I think we are using the studio more than people realize, and there are a ton of advantages that don't really translate on camera. (Don goes there to edit all the time.) Others like bringing in guests and doing more preview discussions don't seem to get quite as much recognition as I'd like, but I think are really important. I also wonder if maybe we did "too good" with the space before, which makes it hard for people to see the night and day difference between the two. I couldn't imagine anyone who had physically been to both spaces preferring the garage.

That said, our momentum has definitely gotten a bit knocked around with personal matters since we moved in. We are regularly making improvements and adjustments behind the scenes, and we are having lots of similar discussions of our own about where we want things to go from here.

Thanks Blood. Was about to mention that you also addressed this on the podcast as well.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Has anything been said about the July/August Trailer Jones episodes while Jones is out? Is someone else hosting, or will they just be skipped over?

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
Wow on that timing. I filled mine out. I hope this gives them valuable data...I am sure they will get a lot of varied opinions.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't actually know what I want from them. I would say podcasts are things I enjoy most but they already do a ton of those.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I don't actually know what I want from them. I would say podcasts are things I enjoy most but they already do a ton of those.
You don't have to be critical in it. And you only have to answer one or two questions if you want. There's one that says "Why did you become a patron?" You could just answer that.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Yeah I don't have any ideas for new goals or tiers but I was able to say what I want more of, that was good enough for me.

grmltr

Oct 25, 2017
I feel the survey doesn't address the main issue expressed by most here, that being "get Allies in the studio."

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
RE2 ghost survivors stream was an EXPERIENCE, that was fun as hell and the first time the studio felt worth while to me, thats what I want from EZA more streams like that.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
RE2 ghost survivors stream was an EXPERIENCE, that was fun as hell and the first time the studio felt worth while to me, thats what I want from EZA more streams like that.
Agreed or the S rank coaching session with damiani.
Even if the playthrough goal stays it probably shouldn't be full playthroughs. Open it up to be a trio/duo stream of anything I guess.

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
I have a feeling that maybe the people that are more interested in answering (myself included) don't really represent the potential growth demographic for EZA.

Indominus

Jan 11, 2018
I really want Kyle and Damiani to finish A Way Out at Easy Livin'. It's not even a long game, it's totally feasible.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
we are three years in and i made peace with the fact that they never change in a way that i want them too. honestly think that the "9 persons can all do what they want"-thing does not work for them. kyle and others have multiple times mentioned that they would want someone who can guide them a bit and i agree wholeheartedly but their also in a position where the last thing they need is more people on staff.

not surprised at all that their patreon is dipping, i dropped my patreon from $20 to $1 a while ago, only listen to half the podcast and watch the reactions on youtube these days. don't think i will ever go higher again unless things radically change.

Greysif

Oct 25, 2017
They know we've seen them play A LOT of this game, right? I hope it's just a tease of a full playthrough of another Capcom game they've openly hoped is getting a remake *cough*DinoCrisis*cough*, and not what we're all afraid it is.

Either way, weird tweet.

Yeah now that I think about it, sounds like a Kyle's type of troll tweet.

Oct 27, 2017
we are three years in and i made peace with the fact that they never change in a way that i want them too. honestly think that the "9 persons can all do what they want"-thing does not work for them. kyle and others have multiple times mentioned that they would want someone who can guide them a bit and i agree wholeheartedly but their also in a position where the last thing they need is more people on staff.

not surprised at all that their patreon is dipping, i dropped my patreon from $20 to $1 a while ago, only listen to half the podcast and watch the reactions on youtube these days. don't think i will ever go higher again unless things radically change.
Their patreon is not really dipping though. They are lacking the big sponsors is all.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
The upward swing of the Patreon has more to do with the changes we made at the same time as the fundraiser, although I think the fundraiser played a role in sparking that initial awareness. Adding exclusive shows really gave something tangible for people to pay for.

As for the thread's topics for the past day, there's definitely sentiments I disagree with, but I'm not going to argue with people point by point. There are also a few common threads worth considering.

I think we are using the studio more than people realize, and there are a ton of advantages that don't really translate on camera. (Don goes there to edit all the time.) Others like bringing in guests and doing more preview discussions don't seem to get quite as much recognition as I'd like, but I think are really important. I also wonder if maybe we did "too good" with the space before, which makes it hard for people to see the night and day difference between the two. I couldn't imagine anyone who had physically been to both spaces preferring the garage.

That said, our momentum has definitely gotten a bit knocked around with personal matters since we moved in. We are regularly making improvements and adjustments behind the scenes, and we are having lots of similar discussions of our own about where we want things to go from here.

Kinda figured this already. I know this ain't really useful to anyone, but I'm happy with how things are going all things considered.

Oct 28, 2017
They know we've seen them play A LOT of this game, right? I hope it's just a tease of a full playthrough of another Capcom game they've openly hoped is getting a remake *cough*DinoCrisis*cough*, and not what we're all afraid it is.

Either way, weird tweet.

I think this is spot on. Dino Crisis is a pretty short game too if I remember rightly, so shouldn't be too much of a problem to get through.

I swear to God if they do another Resident Evil 2 playthrough though...

Urbannomad123

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rugby, England
Now that EZA have a studio it has always seemed weird to me that that they are still thinking in terms of what new goals they should add for things to do in that studio. The way I see it is that they have a studio now and it is up to them to use it. By all means do a fundraiser to get specific equipment for a specific idea but don't not use the studio because a specific goal hasn't been met.

Going by the Patreon survey it seems that EZA are still thinking of goals so I suggested that the goals should involve trying to get the Allies out and about more. This could be developer visits, a Japan visit, travel and accommodation budget for shows outside of LA. Frankly there are many possibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.