• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
Don's Design Lab has always been one of the best things they've been doing, even back at GT. Mainly because Don is so good at putting it together. I looove it when someone gets annoyed at a part or points something out and he cuts back to the person responsible for it (usually Kyle). It just doesn't stop being entertaining.

E: This remains one of my favorite episodes

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that Don's Design Lab is up there with the best shorter edited content they've done.
Also i really hope Ian and Don continue Deadly Premonition, that stream was super jolly.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Aside from the slick production and editing, the format for this incarnation of Don's Design Lab is just really clever: Having someone design a level on paper, someone else implement the blueprint, then let the designer play what Don And The Debugs made out of their idea is a great dynamic.

And I think even Miyamoto would appreciate the pen, paper and sticker portion of the process, even though he'd disapprove of literally everything else the playtesters did to make the level harder and unfocused.

baltic

Oct 27, 2017
Was this posted here? Probably, but here you go anyway:

Thank you so much for posting this. I've never listened to any of the community showcase (until now) and really had a blast discovering this wild project unfold along the videos. I must admit that seeing Jones laughing to tears each time an Ally is recording is one of my favorite moment from the Allies to the moment.

Last edited:

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
It can't be that difficult to sync the audio so they can hear it live without it causing an issue right? With the streams it definitely feels like they turn the audio down on their end for whatever reason, and it felt like with the Silver stream they could barely hear the music.

Maybe they just like the audio down and their sync is right, but I know it was an issue in the past which affected them.

Rezbit

Oct 26, 2017
Yep also throwing in Don's Design Lab was amazing. Was surprised at how slick the editing was.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
That Dunsparce moment was so damn hype.
I could not even believe it.

*spends over half a stream trying to catch*
*names after his grandma*
*moves to third in the lineup*

Lol

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll admit, I wasn't initially that excited for Don's Design Lab. On paper, the idea just didn't seem that interesting to me. After catching that episode though, I am so happy to say my initial concerns were alleviated. The production values are awesome and Don is just a perfect human being.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Huber literally "BOOYAH"ing the podcast to its early death might be in the running for the funniest EZA moment of all-time.

I'm also probably in the extreme minority here as i don't give a damn about Pokemon, but I was all in on the Dunsparce saga and what a satisfying conclusion that was as well.

Aero

Oct 27, 2017
If it wasn't for Kyle saying at the start of the Pokemon stream that chat had told him (incorrectly) that Dunsparce was only available during the day and he believed it, I would be convinced that he used a cheat on the rom.
That encounter was just too perfect.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Gotta say, it seems like it was a good plan/accident to have one of the Allies maintain a full-time gig editing at a different gaming channel so he can hone his craft on someone else's dime... This was some of his best work, for sure.
Don and Ian were already editors at GT if I'm not mistaken.
They were doing this for years as a full-time job from before EZA started.

But I do agree that this Don's design lab episode was very well crafted. It was fantastic.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Don and Ian were already editors at GT if I'm not mistaken.
They were doing this for years as a full-time job from before EZA started.
No, I know. But editors can get creatively stagnant when they have to edit the same kinds of things over and over again. My hypothesis was that having Don at Funhaus has given him time to continue to hone his craft on other people's stuff, all the while having it benefit EZA's output. Funhaus is a different kind of channel from EZA with a different energy. He was great before, but I think we can all agree something was special about this Design Lab, and so I wondered if part of that had to do with his day job.

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, they've always been this good.
Eh. They've always been good and Don's always been a great editor, but this felt like a shift. Concept and execution were on point. But yeah, even if he'd just done what he'd always given us at GT, I would've loved the new Don's Design Lab. But he put in the work to make it extra special and that deserves praise. I think Don would like to think he's gotten better as an editor as well, so it's not a knock on him to say this one is better than his previous ones.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Eh. They've always been good and Don's always been a great editor, but this felt like a shift. Concept and execution were on point. But yeah, even if he'd just done what he'd always given us at GT, I would've loved the new Don's Design Lab. But he put in the work to make it extra special and that deserves praise. I think Don would like to think he's gotten better as an editor as well, so it's not a knock on him to say this one is better than his previous ones.
Yeah, this video shows off the editing chops he gained at Funhaus. Absolutely.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
We're really starting to see the impact from having a studio lately. Obviously, it was always going to take a few months for them to find themselves in the new area but the higher amount of in-studio streams has taken EZA to another level.

The VIII stream is so damn jolly, especially with other Allies just joining in. The Pokemon stream is amazing entertainment. And Don's Design Lab is next level stuff.

MangoUltz

Mar 24, 2019
Exceptional week for EZA content, even the podcast trouble is mitigated by the Huber Booyah cut off. The guys are on it right now.

Energised by Phase 4

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
Are Ian and Don going to play more of Deadly Premonition or was that a one off?

I really hope they decide to keep streaming more of it.
Ian has become a big Swery fan and Don seemed to connect with the game's nature too, scoping out the fishing spots in those grafix without even looking at the map!

I think of the Allies only Ben finished it or at least played a good amount of it. I think Huber bailed out (who can blame him). I might be wrong but as long as the sound channel bugs get quick fixes I'd honestly think a playthrough is in order.
Especially with a that pre-sequel on the horizon.
In any case I really enjoyed that stream.

Oct 25, 2017
Are Ian and Don going to play more of Deadly Premonition or was that a one off?
It feels like such a great Ian and Don game, but I think they did mention planning on playing Two-Point Hospital next time. But who knows. I was expecting Two-Point on Wednesday and got something COMPLETELY different, so I never know what to expect anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.