• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

munchie64

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No more podcast sponsors? I'm certain this will be a great financial opportunity for them, but pretty sad I'll never be able to make Jones say stupid shit.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
I have a lot of fears for this. I really hope EZA gets better because of this as I will probably not like where this is going.

But I'll try my best to keep an open mind. It's just that I know from experience from other youtube channels that I generally don't like those bigger types of sponsors (especially the way they need to be mentioned).

But who am I to complain if EZA get's better from this. I guess it should be fine if this isn't the full MCN that's behind them.
It will probably kill their Patreon funds (bye, bye top-10 or 20 Patreons), but I guess they will get a decent amount of money from that sponsorship deal, so that will probably mean they will get better from this.

Last edited:

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
Only thing that worries me is how having a Patron and non-Patron version of the podcast is going to fracture the community in terms of the comments sections on Podcasts. I know many, especially on this forum, probably don't care for the Youtube comments, but I've always enjoyed hanging out in there when I've finished watching the podcast.

OP
OP
fireworksordie
May 30, 2018
if it means better financial security for them with only minor annoyances, i'm totally for it. but i also have concerns.

hoping they provide an ad-free video version alongside the ad-free podcast, but i'm worried that there isn't an easy way for them to do that. i only consume the podcasts in video format.

OP
OP
fireworksordie
May 30, 2018
My guess is they will just upload an unlisted version without ads on the early release day that never goes public and is only shared with patrons, then they'll upload a version with ads that is public on the public release day. That's how I'd do it, anyway.

yeah that's the only way i can think of it as well. my concern is that, since it adds to the production time, they'll just opt to not provide an ad-free video at all...

TUFCfan

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a wise thing for them to do. It's something that isn't a major departure from what they already do (i.e. it's not like they had no sponsors on the podcasts anyway), and something that's potentially much more beneficial to the allies as well as the fact that Patrons are getting ad-free versions it tentatively seems like a win-win situation, especially if there is still a Patreon tier for shoutouts on the podcasts.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
Love the move for them, this is the logical next step as they grow their business. Seems like a great choice of partner as well, which should have EZA's best interests at heart.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
I just bust a gut laughing at Pokemon Shield knowing Kyle is gonna play this and his widely publicized opinion of a certain Gen 1 pokemon he dislikes as strongly as he loves Farfetch'd.

Oct 25, 2017
This is what I've wanted them to do for a while now, so I'm happy. Happy as well that they'll have ad-free versions too for us Patrons. The "shout outs" (SHOUDOW!) will also be kinda fun, I think. And it'll still allow Jones to say weird stuff on air in that voice of his.

If it keeps EZA stable and we all stop watching the Patreon numbers, I'm here for it.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
At the end of the day, this seems like it goes a long way in terms of stability and freeing up some business responsibilities that probably just eat up a lot of the Allies' time, so I'm all for it. Patrons getting an ad-free version is awesome, and it'll probably feature shout outs from a lot of those people who were previously podcast sponsors.

OP
OP
fireworksordie
May 30, 2018
It says in the post that they're going to provide an ad free version.

they do not specify video versions, which was my point

EDIT: good!

4OBh6sM.jpg

Last edited:

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
What a bunch of sellouts! I'm dropping my pledge! Knew these guys would give into corporate bullshit eventually, it was only a matter of time

/s /s /s /s /s

With that out of the way this seems like a smart choice. I imagine this will be a big weight of there shoulders as they no longer have to worry about courting sponsorship deals and they can just focus on doing what they do best, creating new content.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Can't wait to see how Resetera spins this into a bad thing

Edit: too late
I don't think the reaction is as bad as you make it out to be.
I can also say that it feels like they sold their soul to the devil (even though I do understand it from a business standpoint).

I hope their Patreon numbers don't drop too much from this thinking that they don't need the Patreon support anymore (they will drop in the rankings as is, losing those slots).

All in all, I'm open to see what it's going to be (even though I usually despise these type of advertisements).
I do understand that it's probably a necessary evil to make them better. I guess I'm fine with it as long as they keep full control over EZA (it's not like it's the only channel I watch that has these type of ads anyway).

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I see this as a positive.

Jones made a good point in the patreon. Having companies wanting to promote their stuff but forcing them to go through Patreon was probably a bad look. Does seems amateurish and this will make them look much more professional.

At the end of the day though, I think EZA is the best gaming channel on youtube. Full stop. I was giving them 25 bucks a month for like a year just so they could get all the setup and stability that they need. And me giving something 25 bucks a month doesn't happen. I am very frugal and conscience of what I pay for. Thats how much I enjoy EZA.
So, I really hope this leads to more money for them, and like Jones said, more eyeballs. Maybe this will lead to collabs between them and roosterteeth and everyone can see how awesome EZA is and they can grow even bigger than before.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
Feel like this should have happened more than a year ago. Who isn't doing big sponsorship ad reads nowadays?

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a good change for them. More consistency and security with ads without changing content or giving up any control.

OP
OP
fireworksordie
May 30, 2018
interesting that Roost will also be handling their merch going forward. anyone have experiences with getting merch via Roost?

Liyfda

Oct 27, 2017
It's an awesome opportunity for them to be more financially stable & $1 patrons will get an ad-free version on Sunday. Very excited for the Allies to finally get more financial stability.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
interesting that Roost will also be handling their merch going forward. anyone have experiences with getting merch via Roost?

I've never used it but I believe kinda funny has the same setup with rooster teeth regarding merch. Hopefully this means that they tshirts will he of a higher print quality but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

OP
OP
fireworksordie
May 30, 2018
Was this confirmed anywhere??? I wasn't sure if they did merch for people in their podcast network. I have my gripes about RT as a company, but hot damn they've got nice merch

Brandon mentioned it on CoJ a few times (he also I believe mentioned that it means that the Fangamer and Spreadshirt stuff won't be reprinted, so get those while you can if you want them)

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the best possible move for them. Hopefully it all works out well for them.

I'm a crazy guy that kinda enjoys podcast halftime so I don't mind the ads.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
The only thing that makes me a little sad is that Ian was incredibly proactive in making new merch on spreadshirt for basically anyone who asked. It sounds like he will still be very involved with merch so I know we will still get cool stuff.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who skips Podcast Halftime and Caught in a Frame Trap, I'm happy for these changes and will up my pledge as a result.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
As someone who constantly skips the ad section of the podcasts anyways this sounds like a net positive to me.

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
My dream of becoming a Podcast Producer to pretend to be Salmon Globe but then chickening out at the last minute is truly gone ;_;

Rezbit

Oct 26, 2017
I think that change is probably a good thing, they seemed to be having some troubles filling all the slots recently. I imagine from a business perspective it will be more stable.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
They touched on this during the truly glorious Gundam Construction Stream. It sounded like they expect to get Stadia, don't have it yet, are not sure when it'll arrive and have a group stream penciled in for Tuesday next week.

Ben had put in a personal pre-order as well, which is said to be shipped a day late.
Streaming while playing Stadia. I wonder if their internet can handle the challenge.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If the podcast ads can bring in the same amount of money of the sponsors while also being more financially stable then that's a good move in my view.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, that and Shenmue 3.

Also Huber should just bite the bullet and get a gaming PC. Even before this week it was clear Stadia was never going to deliver and a PC is easily worth it for anyone as into games as them.

He's going to have a difficulty time deciding what to bring to Hall of Greats tomorrow that's for sure.