• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
I like the idea of hall of greats, but I hate that they didn't start with an executive decision to include obvious inclusions like Final Fantasy 7 or Zelda Ocarina of Time. I guess I'm on team Ian in that hall of greats won't truly get interesting until we start getting to great games that aren't instantly apparent but worth. Hall of greats shouldn't be a battle between two games like KoToR 1 and Read Dead Redemption, both should just be in, it should be a battle between stuff like Jade Empire and Bully.

Yes! This! I don't need it explained to me how good FF7 is for the 100th time in my life! Just put it in by default!

Ddalgi

Aug 7, 2019
I like the idea of hall of greats, but I hate that they didn't start with an executive decision to include obvious inclusions like Final Fantasy 7 or Zelda Ocarina of Time

But who decides what an obvious inclusion is? Just because these are some of the most popular games, doesn't mean that these are games that are:

1. their favorites
2. an obvious choice/great

That's literally the point of HOG. To determine what these "obvious" inclusions are. Clearly FF7 wasn't obvious enough (!) since it had to be brought in another time.

Bloodworth

Oct 28, 2017
It's on the separate public feed for the podcast but it's not on my personal Patreon feed. I checked the Patreon page and it says the episode is still locked for $5 Patrons and above.

I assume it's a weird Patreon issue.
Oh, I had to put it up for Ben and didn't realize I needed to unlock on Patreon too. I'll get right on it.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
Kotor a great! 😂

... wait you're serious.

Joking aside, that's why we can't just auto in the "obvious ones". Because the "obvious ones" are up for debate. I don't think Kotor is a 'Great'.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
The idea is the Allies themselves could decide in a meeting which ones were obvious. And it would make all future Hall(s) of Greats more fun since a lot more games would be competitive.

I still like the show as it is now, but the drama comes less from "which game will get in" than "which cool game will get trampled by an obvious one on its way in."

Bloodworth

Oct 28, 2017
Wait a second. You guys have to unlock the early episodes yourself?

Thank you, of course. But I honestly thought it was an automated system that Patreon offered.
It can be (which is why I didn't think of it). Not everyone uses the scheduling tool though.

--
Also, the whole reason Hall of Greats exists is because of Kyle's pushing back on people considering some games as "obviously" one of the greats.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Kotor a great! 😂

... wait you're serious.

Joking aside, that's why we can't just auto in the "obvious ones". Because the "obvious ones" are up for debate. I don't think Kotor is a 'Great'.

Yeah, but you realize that's just you being an outlier right? Kotor was pretty much universally incredibly well reviewed.

Also, the whole reason Hall of Greats exists is because of Kyle's pushing back on people considering some games as "obviously" one of the greats.

A pretty damning condemnation of the Hall of Greats :P

For real though, HoG feature is just an excuse to have a fun group stream and chat about their favourite games. The actual ranking doesn't really matter, if you really want that just go to metacritic or opencritic and sort by review scores and look at the top 100 games.

Last edited:

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
It can be (which is why I didn't think of it). Not everyone uses the scheduling tool though.

--

On the one hand I get Kyle's point

On the other hand, Kyle enjoys playing a contrarian so it's hard to tell when the real Kyle ends and the bit Kyle begins.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, but you realize that's just you being an outlier right? Kotor was pretty much universally incredibly well reviewed.

And? It's a flawed but good game that arguably only got some of the high scores it did because it's attached to one of the biggest media franchises in history.

The point is that a game has to earn its way in, to prove its great. An obvious in isn't an obvious in.

Oct 25, 2017
According to graphetron, their highest Patreon patrons was 9361 Patrons back in June 24th 2019

They are now at......

9362!!

Their highest Patron count in the history of EZA! Congrats!

It will drop tomorrow, but hey, they hit it.

Oct 27, 2017
Box Peek, ep 9. Kyle sure does know how to write a story, goddamn. Can't wait to see where this goes. Also, setting up a future match.

MinionZero

Jan 14, 2018
If the series could have been longer, I think more matches would have been fun to see. But with only so many episodes, these stories are more important for the lore and the story as it develops. In a way, these episodes are the pivotal story beats that we would see between more general battle episodes. To me, the second half does feel quite different from the first, but that has a lot to do with a focus on the characters and the worlds around Box Peek rather than Box Peek itself. The greatness will be seeing the end result of all these side stories and whether they come together in Episode 10.

So now we have a week for Box Peek theories!

Some thoughts and theories (spoilers for thus far):
- Jordy and his Defective Box are together causing the PeekRefs to gain a love for Box Peek. Even if 12 is gone, 13 is now showing signs of love of Box Peek. As a result, the game being broadcast to the world and likely with other PeekRefs will potentially spark a chain reaction of self-thinking PeekRefs.
- Victor Ross has established an anti-BPO group that is figuring out the back channels of Box Peek. There is a chance that his group will somehow find a way to send a Box (and Victor) to the championship. I wonder if Victor will fall victim to his heart condition and have his dead body be shown to the world (as we saw initially got the game banned in FairBoat Island). The scary box guy may end up being the way Victor gets himself into the championship, along with the BPD.
- CD has been manipulating Jordy this whole time to make him the best Box Peeker, and that may turn around and bite him in the butt when things are revealed to Jordy. Also, Kazomi choosing to abandon her world for Box Peek may also have some other consequence to this overall scenario, but I doubt it.
- Takia has not yet met Jordy, but I suspect we may see her in the championship.
- Bronze Fang has been hiding out for some time, and there is a chance that he will encounter Victor Ross's crew as they attempt to deal with Jordy's box, as with the other Fangs.

Overall, there is a lot of momentum of crazy things to take place in a single episode, but I have strong suspicions that this will roll out in the most Kyle way possible. The dominoes are in place, but the question is what will the lay look like when they all fall down.

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping we get a Year-in-Review ManUps revival like last year, but not pinning my hopes on it. Probably hard to get going, but could be super cool if it became an annual holiday treat.

I am, however, pinning my hopes on getting our annual "Ian & Kyle Hit A Random Location in Los Angeles and Talk About Stuff" episode of EZ Update. Max ManUpsNights vibes from those episodes.

Urbannomad123

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rugby, England
Have just finished watching this month's wild and wonderful Fiasconauts and have to say that the chemistry between Jessica, Ian and Kyle is really something. Would love to see them work out a new EZA show alongside Fiasconauts.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
Stadia doesn't look great at all for what it promises, but I don't think I trust EZA's opinion on Stadia after them freaking out about the controller having wifi capabilities as if it's a bad thing. It's like the best thing it has going for it.

Bloodworth

Oct 28, 2017

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
The WiFi on the controller is literally one of the worst things. https://twitter.com/dbloodworth2/status/1200904243843985408
I don't have these issues when plugged in to the PC.
I don't doubt that there are other issues, but I meant the part about not having additional milliseconds of latency that something like xCloud will have, since they require your inputs to be piped through whatever device has the screen, and then to the servers. From everywhere I've heard, that aspect of the controller is the most innovative and impressive part.

But I guess that doesn't mean much if it doesn't actually function properly like in your tweet. Though it looks more like an edge case.

Bloodworth

Oct 28, 2017
I don't doubt that there are other issues, but I meant the part about not having additional milliseconds of latency that something like xCloud will have, since they require your inputs to be piped through whatever device has the screen, and then to the servers. From everywhere I've heard, that aspect of the controller is the most innovative and impressive part.

But I guess that doesn't mean much if it doesn't actually function properly like in your tweet. Though it looks more like an edge case.
I'm sitting about 5 feet from the router and have had missed inputs whenever I've used the controller over WiFi, and Ben's reported the same from his place. To me, if they're telling you WiFi isn't good enough for the Chromecast itself (they ask you to plug in an ethernet cable), I'm not sure why it's supposedly good enough for the controller. Same thing with games like Smash Bros that always encourage you to use a wired connection.

EDIT: And while I was willing to concede the point when this was all still theoretical, now that I've had first-hand experience between wired and WiFi connections with the same controller, wired wins hands-down.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
I'm sitting about 5 feet from the router and have had missed inputs whenever I've used the controller over WiFi, and Ben's reported the same from his place. To me, if they're telling you WiFi isn't good enough for the Chromecast itself (they ask you to plug in an ethernet cable), I'm not sure why it's supposedly good enough for the controller. Same thing with games like Smash Bros that always encourage you to use a wired connection.

EDIT: And while I was willing to concede the point when this was all still theoretical, now that I've had first-hand experience between wired and WiFi connections with the same controller, wired wins hands-down.
That's fair. I can't argue with your first-hand impressions of Stadia, and it's one of the things of having to deal with a streaming service that is a lot more nuanced than any other system. What's promised technically doesn't matter if it doesn't even work as advertised. It looks like it's really unreliable for anyone who doesn't have a controlled setup. I still think this part might separate Stadia from xCloud if both platforms end up pretty similar otherwise technically. Hopefully it shapes up.

Bloodworth

Oct 28, 2017
That's fair. I can't argue with your first-hand impressions of Stadia, and it's one of the things of having to deal with a streaming service that is a lot more nuanced than any other system. What's promised technically doesn't matter if it doesn't even work as advertised. It looks like it's really unreliable for anyone who doesn't have a controlled setup. I still think this part might separate Stadia from xCloud if both platforms end up pretty similar otherwise technically. Hopefully it shapes up.
Yeah, while a lot of my talking points sound pretty negative and there has been a lot of inconsistency, I don't hate the thing. I'm not mad that it exists, and it's pretty amazing that it works at all. I just don't think it's currently strong enough to replace a PC or console version of the same game, and from a business perspective, that's exactly what Google is trying to sell.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
I would totally listen to a podcast that's just Jessica, Ian, and Kyle talking about whatever for an hour.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Watching the spoiler mode for life is strange season 2 and it's kinda crazy that the first episode was filmed in the garage. Really puts in perspective just how long its taken for this season to come out.