• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
the compression artifacting on the studio mics' audio is also terribad. anytime there's an 's' sound it sounds like the stream goes underwater, and it affects Pokemon Silver's game audio too.

the main culprit at this point is whenever XSplit captures an audio source that's running on the PC - which would cover the fact that it affects mic audio and Pokemon but not HDMI sources (since those are through a capture card and not reprocessed by Windows' audio chain). they're running audio through a mixer and then additionally through plugins live in Adobe Audition, so the same thing that's happening with the GB emulator capture is happening with the mic audio.

i think Ian and Damiani (PM me HylianScribe !) are really the ones who can make changes without playing telephone through Kyle who i emailed back and forth with for a while. the only recent stream that didn't have the issue was the 1st Shenmue stream, during which they bypassed Audition. and i haven't emailed Kyle about that yet since he's been busy with Geoff stuff.
Imo, stuff like this and the video stuttering is something they should look into ASAP. It only makes the streams in the future that much better.

OP
OP
fireworksordie
May 30, 2018
Imo, stuff like this and the video stuttering is something they should look into ASAP. It only makes the streams in the future that much better.
agreed! i reached out after the first Silver stream and sort of just stopped after a while. it's tough, because i get it- these things have lots of moving parts, issues that can happen anywhere, and most importantly i just don't want to be annoying. but then if i'm not aggressive about it and don't keep reaching out, and no one else does either, it will be forgotten, or moved lower on the priority list.

Are you guys actually seeing stuttering on the recent reactions? We have been using workarounds to keep that from happening.
i didn't notice any video stuttering during Indie World or State of Play but definitely have in the past. i'll give it another watch when i have time. mic compression still an issue though. how recently have the workarounds been done?

Oct 27, 2017
Are you guys actually seeing stuttering on the recent reactions? We have been using workarounds to keep that from happening.
My experience:
I had twitch on my tv with you guys reacting, while on my phone youtube.

The start of the PSX was late and weirs on bith, so that wasnt on your end.

However, the stream itself of the SoP was like 15-20fps on easy allies twitch while it was smooth on my phone (on my phone it was youtube playstation). I thought it was the twitch app of my tv that was bugging.. but maybe it wasnt?

OP
OP
fireworksordie
May 30, 2018
the SoP archive looks fine framerate-wise. particularly the transitions between presentations - the animation there is smooth. but i just scrubbed through. if people in here notice anything i'm happy do a frame-by-frame.

but the audio from SoP is bad with tons of artifacts. :(

soundtrack

Oct 28, 2017
geoff confirmed on his periscope stream that jones is getting into the afterparty lmao our boy made it!
AGsawtD.jpg

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I forget, but does EZA usually do just a L&R themed podcast at the end of the year? If so, I wanna hold off a potential game they could play until then

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Looking over the last two reactions carefully, it's definitely better than before, more watchable for sure, used to be really bad. I guess it also doesn't look as smooth as the source video because the PiP stream tops out at 30fps instead of the source 60fps. Or maybe that's your workaround. :P I would say it's fine now, but not entirely ideal.

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Maybe it's just me but this thread has felt like it's been hyper critical and negative of EZA for months now. Can I just say Bloodworth is a saint for dealing with seemingly constant complaints and nitpicks ?

I love EZA and enjoy whatever they put out. Just tossing out some happy thoughts on game awards night.

OP
OP
fireworksordie
May 30, 2018
Maybe it's just me but this thread has felt like it's been hyper critical and negative of EZA for months now.
constructive criticism is essential for improvement, and i haven't seen really any criticism in here that hasn't been with the intention of positive progress. we love EZA and their content and want it to be the best it can be! that's what i was trying to get at in my post above.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Maybe it's just me but this thread has felt like it's been hyper critical and negative of EZA for months now. Can I just say Bloodworth is a saint for dealing with seemingly constant complaints and nitpicks ?

I love EZA and enjoy whatever they put out. Just tossing out some happy thoughts on game awards night.
I honestly feel like this is somewhat of an exaggeration.
I don't always agree with everything said here, but you can categorize most of what I have seen as constructive criticism (at least imo).
For example, I did notice the somewhat choppiness of the PiP stream, but it didn't bother me too much in the end (even though I am relatively sensitive to this kind of thing). It's just people trying to help them make the production value higher (even though I am ok with how it was).

I don't think they generally have to endure all that much by reading this thread, although am with you in that I generally enjoy what they put out as well without too much criticism.

I do think that you can call Bloodworth a saint even without reading this thread though. I can't imagine managing all that he does.

Last edited:

Stevo

Jan 29, 2019
They should've played FF7.

Jones isn't a fan of Final Fantasy 7... But he is a fan of...

Absolutely. When I check this thread I usually end up wondering why half the posters bother to keep watching the Allies seeing as they seem to find fault in everything they put out. :(

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill

You're not wrong, but I can tell most of the criticism comes from a place of love, and wanting to help them improve. I hope they know their work is appreciated. And yes, Bloodworth's a champ.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been catching up on Fiasconauts and this is the best show EZA has.

The "It's a Long Way to Tipperary" episode was just non-stop hilarity. Had to stop watching it at the office because I burst out laughing too much.

Oct 25, 2017
Jones not playing a Yoshi game is a missed opportunity
Wasn't that more of a meme than an actual dislike? If I recall, he even played the new Yoshi with Amanda.

But yeah, he ought to have played a game he hated rather than one he just simply never played. Still one of my favorite GT videos is when they had two folks discuss a game that one hated and the other loved. That dynamic is always fun.

EDIT:

This is the video, for anyone curious.

Last edited:

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
But yeah, he ought to have played a game he hated rather than one he just simply never played. Still one of my favorite GT videos is when they had two folks discuss a game that one hated and the other loved. That dynamic is always fun.

Yeah, "Jones is dismissive of The Saboteur" is kind of a clickbait title.

Also the section they played was from the linear prologue part of the game and not really open world...and they talked over all the dialogue...and it was edited so tightly that I couldn't really get a feel for Jones getting a feel for the game...

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
The first episode of Huber's Prison of Love was awesome because Kyle clearly did not like Super Mario 3D World but Huber made him enjoy it and even want to play some more. Hopefully the next episode recaptures that dynamic.

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
Episodes like Saboteur are important for keeping the vibe. Otherwise we'd just keep waiting for the episode that Breaks Huber.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
I can't watch the tga reactions live this time (4am in the morning for me) and am planning watch the archived stream later that day. Due to this I am going on a media blackout in a few hours and am wondering if anyone min here would be so kind to pm me the link to the archived stream or YouTube video in about 13 hours or so.
I just don't want to open yt or twitch or anything else and get spoiled
Maybe i am worrying too much but if anyone would be kind enough to send me a link or something it would be much appreciated
L&R

Oct 25, 2017
Man I'm really hoping Huber was only for setting up TGA and can be back for the reactions.

Batman is close. I can feel it. It has to be here.

OP
OP
fireworksordie
May 30, 2018
PIP stream is definitely only 30 FPS. bummer. they need to have some kind of technical person they trust who watches and overrules chat. chat saying "FINE" doesn't make it not choppy.

OP
OP
fireworksordie
May 30, 2018
I honestly have no idea what you guys are talking about. Which picture right now is supposed to be bad?
The Game Awards video. The Allies (and the whole stream) is at 60fps. The TGA video section is running at mostly 30fps. I've seen it jump up to smoother maybe-60 here and there (which is weird). I'll have to do closer analysis after to see what's going on frame-by-frame. But if you open a full 1080p60 direct stream on Twitch of the Game Awards next to the EZA stream, you'll see the difference in the smoothness of the Game Awards section.

Oct 25, 2017
The Game Awards video. The Allies (and the whole stream) is at 60fps. The TGA video section is running at mostly 30fps. I've seen it jump up to smoother maybe-60 here and there (which is weird). I'll have to do closer analysis after to see what's going on frame-by-frame. But if you open a full 1080p60 direct stream on Twitch of the Game Awards next to the EZA stream, you'll see the difference in the smoothness of the Game Awards section.

Ahh, it's supposed be 60. I see it now. Ok.

OP
OP
fireworksordie
May 30, 2018
A quick comparison of 2 clips I just took for any non-believers. Watch Geoff's hand get choppy/blurry on the EZA stream:

EZA:

TGA direct:

I think it's a CPU/GPU load thing? The bit showing the Cyberpunk stuff while I was making this post seemed like a smooth-ish 60 for a lot of it. I'm curious what specs they're running on their streaming machine. The capture framerate seems to be variable dipping in and out as opposed to the TGA section just being stuck at 30fps constant. It also looks like they're just capturing a browser window. They should instead capture VLC that's playing the stream direct via something like Streamlink would nuke any browser CPU overhead that could be causing drops.

Or just install the Alternate Player browser extension, which does something similar but within the browser - that would at least bypasses any baggage from the Twitch interface and bypass Twitch ads. Both of those solutions would also bypass ads, which would avoid what happened during that Beaker section.

EDIT: Here's an example of it going into smoothish 60 then back out again. Watch the edge of the screen as the stage set pans out of frame:

Lastly, just want to stress again for the people in here that were commenting about negativity - I/we just want to help identify and squash recurring technical issues so that the streams the Allies do can be even better and more polished.

Last edited:

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of feel like their streaming computer should have uBlock Origin, or some other adblocker. They probably don't wanna promote adblocking, but missing potential announcements or trailers just because they need to refresh the stream due to technical issues honestly just sucks so much and brings the stream quality down.