• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
Exactly, but then they argue it's ok for Cyberpunk and Final Fantasy to be that long... because.... reasons.
It's a matter of preference regarding the franchise or genre, of course. If you're not that much into JRPGs then 60 or 70 hours for something like Persona 5 is a hard ask. But Huber makes the exception for Dragon Quest because the franchise means so much to him. It's not like they were really outright dismissive and didn't want to talk about the game because of it. Like Huber said, it's just a hard ask to get over that initial hesitation. Maybe it's something to keep in mind but you won't drop every other game for it just because someone recommended it to you. I really don't see the issue nor do I think Kyle and Huber were bad guests just because they weren't overly excited about much of the games.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
It's a matter of preference regarding the franchise or genre, of course. If you're not that much into JRPGs then 60 or 70 hours for something like Persona 5 is a hard ask. But Huber makes the exception for Dragon Quest because the franchise means so much to him. It's not like they were really outright dismissive and didn't want to talk about the game because of it. Like Huber said, it's just a hard ask to get over that initial hesitation. Maybe it's something to keep in mind but you won't drop every other game for it just because someone recommended it to you. I really don't see the issue nor do I think Kyle and Huber were bad guests just because they weren't overly excited about much of the games.
Yeah, I get it. I have the same trepidation towards big WRPGs like The Witcher 3 for the same reason. It just doesn't make for an interesting discussion.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
Yeah, I get it. I have the same trepidation towards big WRPGs like The Witcher 3 for the same reason. It just doesn't make for an interesting discussion.
As someone who really wasn't interested in anything Xenoblade I really liked Damiani trying to sell the game to them. It was far more interesting to me than endless gushing about a game I haven't played before.

But if you're a fan of the series I can absolutely see how this is frustrating.

Somewhat unrelated but it's funny that you bring up The Witcher 3 because I'm playing it right now. 200 hours into it (over a couple of months with breaks in between) and I must force myself through the main quest because there is nothing else to do and the main quest is so boring and unrelatable (main reason why I dropped the game two years ago). Never having read the books, it took the show for me to care about Ciri and Yennefer because the game does such a bad job at it, especially when you played the first two games where these two never showed up before.

Xenoboy

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
They should just have said they weren't intersted, because that's what the vibe they gave out, instead of trying to mince words. Huber barely plays his Switch from what I have gathered in Frame Traps and other content besides the big games. Kyle has weird nitpicks over graphics on Switch games which makes him sound bad like in te BD2 segment. Like what we need more of are games that try to look impressive visually.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I just had a Kyle Bosman Fractured But Whole moment except much worse because I only just realized that South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut is a penis joke.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I'm watching the Kyle and Brandon Playing Pokemon Silver stream while playing WoW and it has made me want to play Gen II again. I played Gen 1 to death but Gen 2 were my games. I have a DS and HeartGold so maybe I'll hop in. I watched them pass up the Abra which made me sad as Alakhazam is my favorite pokemon. Maybe they'll come around to it later. Every time I watch someone playing classic pokemon I get the urge to play it so badly. Happened during the first run of Twitch Plays Pokemon too.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Get a load of this, Minnmax takes another jab at easy allies for the poptarts vs toaster struddles debate. It's a very short part of there newest podcast at about the 1 hour 6 minute mark.

When will eza fight back, they cant let these new kids on the patreon block talk all of this ish unchecked. Forget OR wars, we need podcast wars!

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
Poptarts are consistent, Toaster strudels can be pretty good, but there's usually something really screwy with them that makes the whole experience bad.

Oct 25, 2017
I love that an established podcast segment can be seen as both a massive troll and a genuine metaphor for how we perceive upcoming games. It's a beautiful thing, IMO and should be applauded. Ben Hanson can say what he wants (he's not wrong, honestly, and I love Pop-Tarts), but I think he's missing the point. It's not about the debate; it's just a goofy way to talk about games, and the confusion is half the fun. Embrace the weird, Hanson. I know you want to.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I love that an established podcast segment can be seen as both a massive troll and a genuine metaphor for how we perceive upcoming games. It's a beautiful thing, IMO and should be applauded. Ben Hanson can say what he wants (he's not wrong, honestly, and I love Pop-Tarts), but I think he's missing the point. It's not about the debate; it's just a goofy way to talk about games, and the confusion is half the fun. Embrace the weird, Hanson. I know you want to.

Hanson seems more like the kinda guy to embrace the suck if ya get what I'm saying.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Every time somebody mentions Pop Tarts vs toaster strudels as if it's a real debate, Kyle wins. Dark prince of breakfast pastry.

Ddalgi

Aug 7, 2019
Not sure if anyone here knows the artist kuvshinov but this was a nice surprise
screenshot_20200101-014ji0.jpg

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
In regards to the post above me, I know the reference was mentioned here, but he was behind the NPC design and EZA reference in Indivisible, so he's definitely a fan which is cool. Love that character design too:

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
The K is backwards in Don't Skip because its supposed to mimic the skip button on a remote...........

I just got that. I wondered for the longest time "why tf is the K backwards?" and really never bothered to ask why.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Please don't let this decade end on a strudel vs pop-tart discussion
There is still one year left before the end of the decade (from 2011 - 2020), so who knows what will happen.
The way we started to count started at the year 1 and all that, not the year 0.

That aside, I do agree that we probably had enough toaster strudle vs pop-tart discussions the last couple of years (but I did partake in some of them, so I probably should stay quiet about those).

edit:
Oh, and I'm sorry if I came over as a smartass, I just came back from celebrating the New Year with a bunch of friends a couple of hours ago and I am really tired now. I just couldn't stop myself since I find it funny that a lot of people keep doing the same thing each 10 years (it was the same for the millennium eg.).

And Happy New Year to everybody of course (I know it's not the new Year for some people on here, but I'm going to sleep now).

Last edited:

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to end it on saying I like Easy Allies and I thought they did a great job this year.

And they kept me going every day when I needed it.

Thanks Allies!

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
There is still one year left before the end of the decade (from 2011 - 2020), so who knows what will happen.
The way we started to count started at the year 1 and all that, not the year 0.

That aside, I do agree that we probably had enough toaster strudle vs pop-tart discussions the last couple of years (but I did partake in some of them, so I probably should stay quiet about those).

edit:
Oh, and I'm sorry if I came over as a smartass, I just came back from celebrating the New Year with a bunch of friends a couple of hours ago and I am really tired now. I just couldn't stop myself since I find it funny that a lot of people keep doing the same thing each 10 years (it was the same for the millennium eg.).

And Happy New Year to everybody of course (I know it's not the new Year for some people on here, but I'm going to sleep now).

People just need to just accept that the first "decade" is only 9 years. There's no way the year 2020 is a part of the 2010's and not 2020's. Common sense prevails over technicalities!

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The Decade that just ended is the 2010's. Count them up - 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019. You might notice there are 10 years there, we're about to enter the 2020's. Whatever your thoughts on the year zero are, they don't matter or apply to how we've measured decades for the last 100 years or so. Fact is we've the number 20 at the start of our calendar for 20 years now, 2 decades.

Anyway, Pedantic nonsense aside, I'm looking forward to 2020 in general but also for it's great looking games AND new EZA content. Hope everyone had a great new years eve :D