• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, hiring someone else certainly might not be financially feasible and I knew that isn't very likely. It would have been ideal if one of the current Allies took the lead and excelled and enjoyed the social media/promotion aspect and filled in a couple more of their needs, but it's been nearly four years and that seemingly isn't likely to happen.

On the other hand, Kinda Funny today just announced they are hiring a new person AND moving to a new studio 5x the size of their previous one. While I'm certainly not advising being reckless, there is the idea taking a bet on yourselves that short-term financial loss might potentially lead to a better product down the road.

But yeah, not a big whoop in the grand scheme of things.

Kinda Funny financials are always an enigma to me. They have roughly the same number of employees as eza, and their patreon numbers are less than eza. But somehow, they always feel like they are more "funded" for lack of a better word. Being able to go to different conventions around the world, meet and greets around the world, new bigger studio, etc.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Kinda Funny financials are always an enigma to me. They have roughly the same number of employees as eza, and their patreon numbers are less than eza. But somehow, they always feel like they are more "funded" for lack of a better word. Being able to go to different conventions around the world, meet and greets around the world, new bigger studio, etc.

You wouldn't want Jones doing what Greg does to bring in the money. It'd be Brand Manager shilling and hustling and greasing palms until Blood really did take that job at Nintendo because he'd retain more journalistic integrity over there.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017

Greg hosts a lot of shows (EA's e3 show, square enix FF15 thing.) They also do huge fundraisers.

Jords

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2018
New Zealand
Don't discount the follwing IGN and name recognition it brings.

I need to see this podcast asap, even though I am three weeks behind

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I'm still surprised EZA has a Nintendo podcast but not a PlayStation podcast.
Kinda Funny has partnerships with developers like EA (Jedi: Fallen Order, Anthem) and Gearbox (Borderlands 3) which I'm sure gives them a lot of funding for higher production values. Unfortunately their partnerships also mean that I can't trust their game opinions.

Last edited:

demu

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Just saw the Kinda Funny 2020 Announcements video. Not a fan of their personalities, but holy shit, their production values are insane.

Jords

Banned
Jun 22, 2018
New Zealand
There is just much stuff, i don't know what to focus on with KFG.
I reckon Ian or Don could produce an ace video like that if needed.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
I don't know if it has been publicly announced yet, but Jones talked about it on Cup of Jones a couple of weeks ago. I think it's the 21st of March? Definitely March, though.
Yeah, he announced it on Cup of Jones and later on that week's group stream. It's on Sunday, March 22nd at the Anaheim Hilton. All we know about the event itself is that it's not a concert and that it'll be longer than usual. He later said that there's no official meet-up the day after as usual as the event itself is kind of the meet-up. It will also be streamed? I have no idea what that means. Jones said he was gonna make a big post on Patreon about it but never did, at least as far as I can tell.
Sweet! Thanks both, calendar marked

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw the Kinda Funny 2020 Announcements video. Not a fan of their personalities, but holy shit, their production values are insane.
Well that was most of the staffs job before KF. Only Greg and Colin were traditional games journalists and the rest all come from a production background and their new hires over the years have all followed that model too.

I don't want EZA to copy KF or other outlets, but it's obvious they need a least a part timer who's background is that sort of thing.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
KF has a much more symbiotic relationship with game publishers than EZA and as such have the cash flow from that that allows them to not be so closely tied to their Patreon funding. They also get a crap ton of money from advertisers.

Its the modern YouTube/Influencer way of doing things and admittedly it's more profitable this way. But for me, I like that I can trust EZA and their opinions to be as genuine as possible.

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina
Well they all really love nintendo but damiani is on another level so you would have to find someone with that sort of passion. I'm not sure who is that much of sony a fan besides maybe huber, but ill be honest i would be so hyped if there was a consistent huber podcast his positivity in a sea of negativity is just so refreshing.

Oct 25, 2017

Fuck man, you are telling me. With the PS5 coming, I would kill for a Playstation podcast from eza.

I think Damiani is great and friendcode is great too, but I really just don't care about 95% of Nintendo products. So I only really watch if something in the timecode REALLY peaks my interest.

I doubt it'll happen though especially with psily coming back on Kinda Funny. I think I remember Jones saying that was the reason they didn't want to do a games daily show. Would be copying what KF does. Maybe I'm wrong on that.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017

I know. Just had time to watch Kinda Funny's video and it is nuts. Unfortunately, from a content standpoint it doesn't really move the needle for me, but mannn are they going for it. Getting a studio that size in San Francisco along with all the travelling and whatnot they do is pretty wild. I know they make some of their $ in less than ideal ways and I'd strongly prefer if EZA avoided that (not knocking Kinda Funny's hustle), but it's kind of hard to believe they are making THAT much considering Greg only seems to host a handful of things per year.

What I think is an easy thing for EZA to do is a yearly fundraising marathon show. The "Better Stuff for E3" stream got them awesome stuff AND was one of my favorite moments ever of watching EZA. Instead of using the money for meet and greets around the world, use it for things for the studio, their shows and to just generally improve their own personal situations. It was a jolly good time watching them get all the equipment they dreamed of for that E3 and also all of Kyle's budget for Box Peek. And the best part is it means we are getting the best version of what they want to make while also getting an enjoyable stream in the process.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has SMB3 been presented at Hall of Greats already? Either way, it should be presented again for making 5-year-old Kyle yell "SHIT!"

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck man, you are telling me. With the PS5 coming, I would kill for a Playstation podcast from eza.

I think Damiani is great and friendcode is great too, but I really just don't care about 95% of Nintendo products. So I only really watch if something in the timecode REALLY peaks my interest.

I doubt it'll happen though especially with psily coming back on Kinda Funny. I think I remember Jones saying that was the reason they didn't want to do a games daily show. Would be copying what KF does. Maybe I'm wrong on that.

Don't worry, once more hard PS5 details start coming fast and furious, the Easy Allies Podcast will basically become a PlayStation podcast.

Krakle

Oct 27, 2017
Well they all really love nintendo but damiani is on another level so you would have to find someone with that sort of passion. I'm not sure who is that much of sony a fan besides maybe huber, but ill be honest i would be so hyped if there was a consistent huber podcast his positivity in a sea of negativity is just so refreshing.

I would love that!

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
The head guys of KF are much more entrepreneurial than anybody at EZA. Up to a certain point that's a blessing but for me personally it's something I don't like about KF and crowdfunded projects in general. Just look at the merch situation back in the day (don't know how it is nowadays) - at EZA it took ages for something new to appear while KF did time and otherwise limited shirts very, very often. Again, it's turning me off because you're using pressure, if we want to call it that regarding shirts, to get people who are already supporting you to spend more money now, instead of when they want.

Regarding a Playstation or other than Nintendo focussed show at EZA, that's something I've wanted for a long time. It's fine if the guys follow their passion and they're lucky that we're in the Switch and not the Wii U generation anymore, but considering Nintendo treats EZA pretty badly when it comes to review copies and stuff, I wouldn't mind a shift or an additional point of focus, especially now with next gen approaching. I love Nintendo and my Switch but I rarely take the time to listen to Friend Code especially when topics are often bleeding into their other shows anyway. A weekly show with an alternating focus and hosts according to their interests would be ideal.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The head guys of KF are much more entrepreneurial than anybody at EZA. Up to a certain point that's a blessing but for me personally it's something I don't like about KF and crowdfunded projects in general. Just look at the merch situation back in the day (don't know how it is nowadays) - at EZA it took ages for something new to appear while KF did time and otherwise limited shirts very, very often. Again, it's turning me off because you're using pressure, if we want to call it that regarding shirts, to get people who are already supporting you to spend more money now, instead of when they want.
Yeah, I get the impression that KF spend more time running the business than playing games, while EZA spend more time playing games than running the business (not true for all 9 of them, in particular Brandon and Blood). Which I personally prefer for EZA since they can have much better conversations about games. KF conersations tend to be "I tried this game for an hour and it was alright" and that's it. But it might make sense at some point to have a couple staff members completely in the background just making things run.

ObbyDent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I find it really funny that someone claims that KF doesn't spend time playing games when Greg posted that he has over 200 plat'd games on PlayStation rn.

That's not including any other platform.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
For me personally, they're in a fail-state production wise until EZA Clips comes back under an official capcity onto their own channel. It is something pretty much every content producer produces and for manifold obvious reasons, and its just not up to snuff to have 9 people and that not just be at the top of the "needs to be done" list. For a spin off from a outfit named GameTrailers, and to have only made one or two trailers of their own content and what they're about in 4 years is pretty dumb.

2019 started off very shaky for EZA, with the studio seemingly feeling like it took things back more than delivered. Some great stuff has happened since though with Mysterious Monsters being great (although it really needs more space and a multi-room setup somehow), better group streams like Mana and Silver Squads and Gundam returning. Of course Don is on hand to shame everyone with his production expertise in stuff like Design Lab (which I'm hoping gets some Dreams variant love or something this year as Mario Maker is getting old content wise now). Retrospectives went out with a whimper on a fairly low energy DMC entry. Some new stuff I felt has fallen flat is the Board Game show and Hubers Prison Of Love. Also pretty interested what Bosman is going to throw himself in to next as it was awful nice of the team to support him in making Box Peek for 2 years. Whatevers taking a fair while in the other Phase 3 announcements must be some tricky stuff I guess.

Last edited:

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I've tried watching Kinda Funny so many times and I just can't do it. Comparing "brand managers," Jones appears sooo much more genuine than Greg. I like Greg, but as a videogame personality, he just sounds like a salesman/businessman whenever he talks. I also don't get any kind of real passion on videogames from Greg, Nick, or Tim.

That being said, major respect to them for the huge 2020 it looks like they'll be having.

Regarding EZA, I DO think it's extremely outside of convention to have a nine-person team who are ALL on-camera personalities. I love all the allies so I don't want any of them to take a permanent step behind the camera, but man could they do with a full time editor.

Also, while we are getting real, the Occasional Board Game Show is a flop to me. During the pitch, it sounded like this was an Ian and Ben joint, but Ben has been nowhere to be seen. Also crazy to me that the weekly Tabletop Escapades had 5 people but they can only gather up 3 for OBGS (including Ian who seems to be a permanent participant). While the overhead cam and switcher are nice, I don't get the sense of very high production values in the show.

I was just expecting way more out of that show.

Last edited:

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
All this talk of splitting up the podcast and moving more towards KF's model is cursed.

I don't think anyone has said they want EZA to move to KF's business model (in fact, all I've seen is strong dislike about pursuing something similar) or splitting up the podcast? Nor has I think anyone said anything remotely "mean." This is a discussion thread and we're just spitballin' here thinking out loud what we'd like to see in the new year. I adore what EZA is now, but I also think they have the potential to be much, much bigger/better if they took some simple steps/bets on themselves for the future all without having to pursue "backdoor shady deals" and selling out. The hard parts they already have nailed down. Their charisma, intelligence, group chemistry, creativity are unmatched in the industry, in my opinion, and this is all while also having the freedom of being unchained from corporate overlords. It's a helluva great position to be in.

I wish KF all the best, but they just aren't for me. But it is still fascinating seeing what a group so similar to EZA is planning for the future.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
You can't have a big media outlet or growth like KF with only 9 employees who can do whatever they want and pursue any passion project they like. That's not gonna happen because you need have grunt workers who are being paid to do the stuff no one else likes to do.

Someone brought up the social media handling of the business and that's a great example. Posting regular updates, tidbits and behind the scenes stuff on social media is not hard per se and doable if you split it amongst nine other people but when none of them really want to do it then it's just not gonna happen (kinda how Final Bosman is not gonna happen *dealwithit*). None of them see it as their job and no one of them is forcing them to. Not to mention that you need a feel for that to be good at it (it's an actual job for a reason).

There's no doubt in my mind that EZA could be a lot bigger than they are today but they seem to be more comfortable with slow organic growth and that's absolutely fine. And to be perfectly clear, while there's still enough stuff that could be optimized (like shooting three episodes in a row of something that's clearly not working for anyone) that does not mean they're not working their asses off.

Last edited:

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
You can't have a big media outlet or growth like KF with only 9 employees who can do whatever they want and pursue any passion project they like. That's not gonna happen because you need have grunt workers who are being paid to do the stuff no one else likes to do.

Someone brought up the social media handling of the business and that's a great example. Posting regular updates, tidbits and behind the scenes stuff on social media is not hard per se and doable if you split it amongst nine other people but when none of them really want to do it then it's just not gonna happen (kinda how Final Bosman is not gonna happen *dealitwith*). None of them see it as their job and no one of them is forcing them to. Not to mention that you need a feel for that to be good at it (it's an actual job for a reason).

There's no doubt in my mind that EZA could be a lot bigger than they are today but they seem to be more comfortable with slow organic growth and that's absolutely fine. And to be perfectly clear, while there's still enough stuff that could be optimized (like shooting three episodes in a row of something that's clearly not working for anyone) that does not mean they're not working their asses off.

This. They seem to do more with less because they are a better organized group. They have people who are behind the scenes 99% of the time who are handling things like social media and editing. Eza doesnt have anyone like that were kinda funny have three people who are primarily off camera.

Xenoboy

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
the normal podcast already covers every sony game, so that's kinda the ps podcast :p

Dec 8, 2019

Someone brought up the social media handling of the business and that's a great example. Posting regular updates, tidbits and behind the scenes stuff on social media is not hard per se and doable if you split it amongst nine other people but when none of them really want to do it then it's just not gonna happen (kinda how Final Bosman is not gonna happen *dealwithit*). None of them see it as their job and no one of them is forcing them to. Not to mention that you need a feel for that to be good at it (it's an actual job for a reason).

I mean easy allies has had significantly better Patreon success, growth in views on YouTube and twitch, and their reviews are well recieved and respected, easy allies will ovbiously go through changes and revamps, and I'd like an offscreen hand most which would improve their work considerably, but EZA is doing really well and will only continue to do so going into 2020 and all the insane events and coverage

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
I mean easy allies has had significantly better Patreon success, growth in views on YouTube and twitch, and their reviews are well recieved and respected, easy allies will ovbiously go through changes and revamps, and I'd like an offscreen hand most which would improve their work considerably, but EZA is doing really well and will only continue to do so going into 2020 and all the insane events and coverage
I should've clarified that bigger isn't always better. Nor was I saying that they aren't successful for what they're doing. It's just that the comparison with KF isn't really warranted because they have a different focus. At least it seems like that from the outside. Now, if any of the Allies and Brandon in particular is baffled by the current success of KF then it's another story altogether.

A person working off-screen would be a great help and I hope they can achieve that this year. A contractor for E3 should be a given but perhaps I misremembered things Jones said on CoJ once.

Either way, Jones keeps hinting about things to come in 2020 and I'm excited for that. Also, I hope they keep trying new things and aren't afraid to dump things that don't work out. The Patreon revamp last year was good for them.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Id say they are pretty to close to ign in terms of content they just put out alot of non-gaming pop culture content its not a bad thing
They don't even review games...their main gaming channel's main product is reading out IGN articles every morning and their gaming podcast is them talking about the 1st 3 three hours of a game that came out that they don't have time to play any more.