• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My publisher won 2019, which was pretty exciting. We drafted less this year since the second half of 2020 is so unknown but left more room for bids. I laughed as I bid for Unannounced Assassin's Creed because I'm pretty sure no one in my league noticed it was available. Only one of them is an EZA fan so hopefully he doesn't watch this till after Monday at 6!

Is there an ERA league for fantasy critic? If not, should we start one?
This is a good idea and I would be in.

Last edited:

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
lol that Gamer's hype/Byleth question made it into the podcast?
it wasn't a horrible question or anything....just yea, not intriguing or enlightening.

or maybe cause I'm on ERA that general discussion happens 2x a week

I feel they went a bit too safe honestly, IMO it's more fun to pick more actual outsiders.

Also, Assassin's Creed was definitely a good counterpick.
well because they only choose 8, and this time had the list of big games right in front of them
and there's only 3 in the league.
ignoring some of the sure hitters wouldn't be that smart.
Maybe if they chose like 12 and draft 6 it would address your concern?

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
well because they only choose 8, and this time had the list of big games right in front of them
and there's only 3 in the league.
ignoring some of the sure hitters wouldn't be that smart.
Maybe if they chose like 12 and draft 6 it would address your concern?

I mean, it makes sense from a game theory perspective.
It's just that picking big hyped games is kinda boring from an audience perspective. Unless these games are Fallout 76 level broken there'll all going to get in the 8-9 range from IGN etc.

IMO the more interesting part is if you can pick things that are flying under the radar.

It'd be interesting if the reward was better the less hyped a game was. Or maybe if they just disqualified the top 10-20 most hyped games off the bat.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i feel like there should be more of a reward for picking games that aren't expected to be great but i guess that's hard to do. fantasy sports works because they keep performing over the season, here it is just a one time thing and most things land between 80-89 anyway. maybe some sort of bonus if it isn't a sequel of a 80+ game or something like that.

the way to win here is just picking up as many ultra safe games as possible.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
The new podcast felt too short for all the things happening last week.
And thanks you Damiani for reminding me about the leaked E3 documents for 2020.
Totally forgot about that. IF the leaks are true than the ESA really is out of the loop.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
i feel like there should be more of a reward for picking games that aren't expected to be great but i guess that's hard to do. fantasy sports works because they keep performing over the season, here it is just a one time thing and most things land between 80-89 anyway. maybe some sort of bonus if it isn't a sequel of a 80+ game or something like that.

the way to win here is just picking up as many ultra safe games as possible.

This is sort of why I think it would be cool to take off the restriction for Dropping Games until the point of release, in the same way you can swap out your squad for your bench until they start playing. It adds a layer of keeping up to date with development and also keeping the faith. For example, DOOM was very troublesome on the run up to launch. Reviewers didn't get review copies until release day, leading most to think it was going to be kinda bad. However it ended up blowing people away. Have the ability to swap Doom out and pick up something else would add the ability to react to the performance of a game over time.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
For me it's looking like:

January: get around to finishing Outer Wilds and some other backlog stuff
February: replay Fire Emblem Three Houses when all the DLC is out
March (?): Black Mesa full release (plus I'll go back through the other Half-Life/Portal games)
March or whenever it gets delayed to: Half-Life Alyx
March 20: Doom Eternal
April: RE3 and FF7
May: Last of Us Pt. II
June: replay Control when all the DLC is out
July/August: Ghost of Tsushima?

I'm all good.
I know this isn't a strict schedule or anything but TLOU2 is coming out on the 29th of May, so it'll be more of a June game.

Mine probably looks something like:
January: KH3 ReMind (plus finally finishing Judgment's brutal plat :( )
February: Backlog month (probably Days Gone and Ys VIII)
March: Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIV (comes out in late Feb)
April: RE3 and then FFVIIR
May: Trials of Mana
June: The Last of Us Part 2 (comes out in late May)

Easy Update 2020 Fantasy Critic ep. was a blast.

I'd be spending a significant amount of $Don Bucks$ to pick up Dreams ASAP if I were any one of them.
It was fantastic but I do kinda feel like something is lost when they're just picking games from the website's own "most popular" list. I think it would've been better if they'd each come up with a list beforehand, like Don did, and voted based on those.

Anyway, the podcast's Sony/E3 discussion was great, particularly Damiani. Like Andi, I'd completely forgotten about that god awful leaked E3 document with all the gross influencer and celebrity bullshit. Ugh. I was particularly surprised that Jones seemed fine with them pulling out of it, of all the Allies I thought he'd be one of those people who really wanted to "preserve" E3 but I was completely wrong.

Ben's hot take on the Cyberpunk's delay, on the other hand, was so absurd I don't even know where to start. If a little game called GTA5 can launch two months before the PS4 and XB1 with no next gen versions in sight and not stop the PS4 from selling out for its first six months, I'm sure the PS5 and Xbox will be fine. Especially since I'm betting Cyberpunk will be available on both systems on day one with significant graphical and performance improvements.

Oh and I'm surprised they didn't bring up the obvious reason why Sony's porting Horizon to PC: The MLB made them do it (:P Mikey Jr. ).

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
But the full version releases in February 2020. So it should be able to select, no?
No. The rule is "Games that are available on Early Access aren't eligible games to be drafted."
The idea is that it's kind of unfair to be able to play a game that's somewhat representative of the final product but that there isn't reviews for.

The exact text on the FAQ is:
If you check "Allow Early Access Games", then there's no restrictions on early access at all. If you don't check it, then once a game enters early access (as in, once you can play it), then it is no longer eligible. You never get points until reviews come in. That part, I don't decide. The idea of the rule is to prevent people from taking games that are playable now, despite not having review scores. It's not much of a prediction if you can go play it at the time you are picking it.

To be honest, I think this posits and interesting question about Showfloor Demos, normal Demos, etc. I mean Bosman literally said himself "Don't pick Biomutant. People have played that, you will lose points."

I don't know, singling out early access only seems a bit inconsistent imo.

Oct 27, 2017
No. The rule is "Games that are available on Early Access aren't eligible games to be drafted."
The idea is that it's kind of unfair to be able to play a game that's somewhat representative of the final product but that there isn't reviews for.

To be honest, I think this posits and interesting question about Showfloor Demos, normal Demos, etc. I mean Bosman literally said himself "Don't pick Biomutant. People have played that, you will lose points."

Oh ok, thanks for the info

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

They've thrown another spanner in the world's by adding those unannounced games. On a league I'm running, I'm having to manually make then all ineligible, otherwise any old unannounced game could be written in

Oct 27, 2017
2 things:

The shoutout part makes me laugh out loud every single time.

Amanda is delightful. Scoop of Troop needs to be a bi-monthly thing.

Really enjoying the allies right now. Great vibes

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Whoever designed the back cover of Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot screwed us out of the chance to see Jones' reaction to the panel pondering the ancient philosophical dilemma of "How many Saiyajins is one Gotenks?"

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
hell yeah, new Mysterious Monsters

Cv1rEZncb4dQPARhyzgS4ZQc8uq4wupdfHPKK4W5Kn4f=w386-h257-no

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
can we talk about how they promised Sophie would still be seen occasionally in the studio? it was all lies.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Ian's Dragon's Dogma 2 <> Bloodborne 2 pick is definitely going the other way in real life.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Doom 2016 is fun to play on Switch. And I played it docked. Gonna do the same with Eternal.

Don't @ me.