• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
It would be great if the episodes could premier two hours earlier. That would change it from 1am to 11pm and I could watch it the same night.
To be fair, it was starting around midnight this time because the US already changed to daylight saving time (on March 8th) and Europe will do so in a couple of weeks (on March 29th), which is why everything is shifted by an hour for now. This somewhat catches me off guard each year (2 times a year), daylight saving time ends faster in Europe compared to the US as well since it will stop on October 25th for Europe and will stop on November 1st for the US. So if there is an episode of Mysterious Monsters around that time, it would be at 2 am.

But yeah, I always am stretching when I'm going to sleep to watch it live. I also thought it was going to start at 1 am this time which is how I missed it at first. I did watch it afterwards though, but I tend to go to sleep way too late anyway.

Last edited:

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017

tenor.gif

I feel personally attacked, Salmon Globe.

Tight Shoe

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
The fact that Bruce and Lawrence are on Mysterious Monsters is super interesting because they both left Funhaus pretty recently, and when they did there was definitely a sense both times of WILL FUNHAUS DIE? They've carried on just fine. Of course Funhaus is part of a larger company which is part of an even larger company, but it's a familiar feeling

Oct 25, 2017
I am hopeful for something more like the xbox videos we got yesterday. I do agree that its probably not worth reacting to, just putting the idea out there.
Yeah, no reactions needed I'd say. EZA isn't Digital Foundry, so I'm not super interested in hearing them respond to tech specs. I mean, it's always jolly to have them gather together for any purpose, but yeah...

Also, any videos shown of the hardware better be Knack-heavy or we riot.

Oct 25, 2017
Blood just confirmed via Twitch chat that he and Brandon will be reacting to the Cerny stream. So there you go.

EDIT:

Last edited:

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017

"This video contains sessions scheduled for Game Developers Conference (GDC) in the United States, and the language is English only (no subtitles). Please be aware of this. "

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
This will be proof that not everything deserves a reaction stream lol. I'll wait for the digital foundry analysis.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Love & Respect email went up late last night. Can't wait to see the last line submissions these next couple of weeks

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
My initial research backs up Kyle's suspicion that video games don't tend to have memorable last lines or if they're memorable, they're memorable for the wrong reasons. Even the stand-outs I remembered for good writing don't save their best lines for last.

Plus a lot of post-credits stingers really get in the way of a punchy, pointed ending. Hard to wrap up your game in one final poignant moment when you gotta tease the sequel.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 reveal stream live with Huber and Jones!

www.twitch.tv

EasyAllies - Twitch

Easy Allies (EZA) is an independent group of experienced writers and video producers who love playing video games, analyzing the industry, and interacting with the community. Here on Twitch we're doing our best to stream a variety of great games almost every day of the week.

Oct 25, 2017
The only last lines I think of are fake ones. The old classic "You know Ellie, we really are the Last of Us." Which doesn't even have to be a last line.

Which is to say, for me, last lines aren't memorable at all. Looking forward to hearing some good ones and being like "oh yeah! that was pretty great!"
"Okay." - The Last of Us

Boom.
Oh yeah! That was pretty great!

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Sidebar: I'm loving this presentation. Chat is super bitter for some reason. Not sure what they expected.
I think it's probably just way too technical for a lot of people. It was obvious it was going to be since this was meant for devs at GDC, but I still think a lot of people weren't sure what to expect. It was also not the best time just after what Microsoft shared since those videos were more clear for the general public since they were done by youtubers and people were probably hoping for something similar.

I personally found it interesting as well as I do get a lot of what got talked about since I'm interested in tech and I'm working in IT, but I can see how this is probably not the best fit for the general public as a first presentation about PS5.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I think it's probably just way too technical for a lot of people. It was obvious it was going to be since this was meant for devs at GDC, but I still think a lot of people weren't sure what to expect. It was also not the best time just after what Microsoft shared since those videos were more clear for the general public since they were done by youtubers and people were probably hoping for something similar.

I personally found it interesting as well as I do get a lot of what got talked about since I'm interested in tech and I'm working in IT, but I can see how this is probably not the best fit for the general public as a first presentation about PS5.
Yeah Xbox did a better job of doing the technical stuff in a more accessible way for us men. Sony kind of just dumped their GDC developer talk onto us.

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I guess I had my expectations in check. I do hope this is the first of many things in the near future. Having Eurogamer/Digital Foundry release an article at the same time with clearer specs was a smart move. It is so interesting how "specs" seems to be such a point of focus by both companies, as opposed to basic features. Microsoft for sure has done a better job of making it more consumer friendly, but I don't doubt Sony will get to that focus in due time. No one has pre-orders up yet, so it really doesn't matter about messaging at this point for the vast majority of people.

You could argue that any sort of public-facing messaging is marketing, so it makes sense why people are flummoxed by Sony's approach so far. But I honestly don't mind. I think it's great to get expectations in check for the hardware, for people to understand even before it's revealed what Sony is focusing on. Instead of proclaiming things they can't possibly promise, they're laying a technical foundation so the smart people in the room can explain to us dummies how it all works when the thing does get revealed. We live in a different age, where Digital Foundry videos get tons of views and people are way more interested in digesting tech specs. I've found this whole thing fascinating. Definitely a different approach from generations past.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Xbox did a better job of doing the technical stuff in a more accessible way for us men. Sony kind of just dumped their GDC developer talk onto us.

But.. wasn't this meant to be a gdc talk from the start? I think people really need to do a little research and check their expectations when it comes to these things. I can't believe half of chat were still like "OMGZ SHOW DA BOX THIS IS BORIN" when Cerny's talk was far more interesting than just showing what the ps5 box looks like. Spoilers, it's just a box that will sit under your t.v.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the presentation was pretty interesting, but I'm just flabbergasted that THIS is how they introduce the PS5 to the "public." I think it was too technical for the vast majority of the people, and really didn't do all that great a job of presenting this in any type of digestible way. This would have be fine to do if we already got more of the "fun" consumer type of things out of the way first.

For instance, I would have shown something similar to the Spider-Man loading time demo. Also have other bite-size bits that really demonstrate the "cool" things that the PS5 can do in an easy to understand type of way. Incomprehensible graphs and asking for ear pictures just ain't the way.

The raw power differences really don't mean much to me. For instance, it's all much lesser than the differences between XB1/PS4 and PS4 Pro/XB1X. Also, some things, like the SSD, the PS5 will likely do better. Also, Series X is likely to support XB1 for the foreseeable future, so I'm not exactly sure it will be able to fully "stretch its legs" in the coming years as well. And by then, who knows what "series" level we will be on for Xbox or if the Pro alternative will be waiting in the wings.

But yeah, everything Playstation is f'n bizarre. Revealing the console via Wired articles and this in just about the least "hype" way imaginable is a drag.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
But.. wasn't this meant to be a gdc talk from the start? I think people really need to do a little research and check their expectations when it comes to these things. I can't believe half of chat were still like "OMGZ SHOW DA BOX THIS IS BORIN" when Cerny's talk was far more interesting than just showing what the ps5 box looks like. Spoilers, it's just a box that will sit under your t.v.
I'm sure Xbox's info dump this week was meant for GDC as well as it is conveniently timed for the week of GDC, but it was still made to be both accessible for the public and informative for devs.