• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't seen episode 5, but episode 4 of Achieve It Yourself was gold. The heart discussion had me dying.

Szeth

Oct 25, 2017
So lets say I don't even want to know what people think of Death Stranding. I basically just have to abandon the internet for a week starting tonight/tomorrow yeah?

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
So lets say I don't even want to know what people think of Death Stranding. I basically just have to abandon the internet for a week starting tonight/tomorrow yeah?
Nah. Just don't look at social networks where there's no moderation.
Bizarrely enough I've never been spoiled by Era unless I wanted to.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Bizarrely enough I've never been spoiled by Era unless I wanted to.

Somebody will make a thread title like "Now that we know Death Stranding is a huge disappointment..." or "Since DS got such high scores, are the Kojima haters ready to eat crow?" and you'll see it even if you didn't want to know the general consensus. Anyone who doesn't want to know even the slightest hint about what people think of Death Stranding is taking a risk being on Era for any reason.

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
Somebody will make a thread title like "Now that we know Death Stranding is a huge disappointment..." or "Since DS got such high scores, are the Kojima haters ready to eat crow?" and you'll see it even if you didn't want to know the general consensus. Anyone who doesn't want to know even the slightest hint about what people think of Death Stranding is taking a risk being on Era for any reason.

Bets on how long after embargo that one of those threads appears? I'll say 4 minutes

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Death Stranding seems like it could be one of the most divisive "big games" in a while. I think there will be plenty of pro- and con- threads. But yeah, if you're on blackout stay away from all gaming media and sites at a minimum.

Szeth

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I can see this for sure. Even in here I'd expect stuff like "can't believe Kyle hates DS!" Guess it's off Era for me.
This reminded me to unfollow the guys and other gaming stuff on Twitter, thanks.

Suppose I'll also have to skip most EZA content next week that wasn't pre recorded. Who knows what'll be said on streams! As Huber would say, "don't look at me."

This is my first real media blackout for a game since I don't usually play games day 1, so I appreciate the replies. Finally getting a PS4, mostly for TLOU2, but Kojima won me over when I played through the MGS series last year, so I figured I'd go for the DS Pro bundle and really commit to being surprised and then a part of the "zeitgeist", plus I'll get to play all the other sweet sweet PS4 exclusives before TLOU2 arrives.

plufim

Sep 29, 2018
Talking about costumes, I seem to recall a bet last year where Ian would have to dress up as spiderman (specifically spider Gwen). But I can't recall where the bet was made, nor the result.

Does anyone else remember this?

TK-421

Nov 30, 2017
Death Star
I believe the allies have said they won't be doing a reaction stream for Blizzcon tomorrow, and I don't see it on their schedule.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Going by the review I was expecting a lower score from Ben than the one that popped up at the end.
Frametrap will be interesting next week for a more expanded discussion. Can't wait.

Just saw Amanda on a new Walmart commercial.. that was kinda surreal lol
I wonder if this will effect her friendship with Kyle, going against his holy Target. 😅

Last edited:

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
The DS review affirms why of all the Allies I wanted Ben to be the one to write it.

The final, summarizing paragraph makes the case that whatever number is put at the end of it is near meaningless. It's easy to treat that like a privilege almost exclusively afforded to to established gaming auteur HIDEO KOJIMA, but Ben carefully avoids falling into this trap, too, with my favorite line in the whole text:

"There is a sense of fearlessness here that's hard not to respect and that most aren't given the opportunity to attempt."

Which, instead of further enshrining Kojima as celebrated exception, rather longs for more opportunities for more people to make their daring 6/10, 7/10, 8/10 games.

Also, and just because of who was doing the review, I couldn't help but think of Death Stranding as a game entirely build around Monster Hunter's egg delivery quests. Which kept me amused through the whole thing.

Last edited:

soundtrack

Oct 28, 2017
I don't usually put too much weight into review scores, but the review doesn't read to me at all like an 8. Ben did a fantastic job summarizing the game in 10 minutes though and I'm excited to get my hands on it!

Ddalgi

Aug 7, 2019
Its weird seeing people being surprised by the score.

The way Ben described the game, its features and whole experience, especially at the end when writing his final words, just meant that it could have been any number. It depends a lot on what you value in games, how important the unique angle is to you and what you want and/or expected out of the game. It could have been a 10 or a 1 and it would have made sense.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
"What numeric value do you put on something that gets things wrong when you can't get the things it gets wrong anywhere else?" is the crux of it. When in doubt, I'm in favor of erring on the side of overrating rather than underrating unrefined innovations, but the gratification of seeing an experiment fail and succeed in different measures can't be captured in a review score one way or the other. Of all the games I've played, many of those most interesting to talk about live in the 5/10 to 7/10 range because that's where ambition transcending ability tends to end up.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Wow, what a quote!
Is that from Ben's review?

Uhm, no, that's all me trying to sum up, in one pointed sentence, the feeling of dissonance between text and score people here and in the OT thread have expressed. I've been there with other games myself. And in a way it brings me back to EZA picking The Last Guardian as their inaugural GOTY, which is a game I haven't played and have no interest in but is a choice I can respect because of what it represents. It's just where the model of game reviews as consumer advice, which EZA generally follows, reaches its limit because you can't say in a product review about a washing machine "This design deviates from established industry norms and works less well as a result but the laundry, which in all of our testing never came out clean, nevertheless was stained in interesting patterns which made us ponder life and the meaning of beauty. Plus the noise the washing machine constantly made was unexpectedly soothing. 8/10!" but you can write something to that effect in art criticism.

Oct 25, 2017
Uhm, no, that's all me trying to sum up, in one pointed sentence, the feeling of dissonance between text and score people here and in the OT thread have expressed. I've been there with other games myself.
Yeah, it's always strange and it's something I think is impossible for a reviewer to get right most of the time. I remember Huber getting railed multiple times for some of his reviews that read like raves, but then ended up with a lower score than expected. It's such a silly thing to fret over though. I do not envy reviewers having to assign games a number that's also the perfect representation of their experience, in addition to being a perfect reflection of their written review.

I also don't envy the time crunch reviewers have to endure in order to get these reviews out before embargoes, thus limiting their opportunities to give games the thoughtfulness they sometimes need. We see this time and time again with games getting raves out of the gate (RDR2, Bioshock Infinite, MGSV), only to be derided down the line for flaws that were always there. And vice versa. Mostly, I wonder if this game will be one that gets a lot of second looks, for both positive and negative reasons.

I'm excited to hear other Allies's feelings on this. Hearing that Ian finished the game has me the most intrigued. Makes me believe the game may be up my alley more than I think.

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
Uhm, no, that's all me trying to sum up, in one pointed sentence, the feeling of dissonance between text and score people here and in the OT thread have expressed. I've been there with other games myself. And in a way it brings me back to EZA picking The Last Guardian as their inaugural GOTY, which is a game I haven't played and have no interest in but is a choice I can respect because of what it represents. It's just where the model of game reviews as consumer advice, which EZA generally follows, reaches its limit because you can't say in a product review about a washing machine "This design deviates from established industry norms and works less well as a result but the laundry, which in all of our testing never came out clean, nevertheless was stained in interesting patterns which made us ponder life and the meaning of beauty. Plus the noise the washing machine constantly made was unexpectedly soothing. 8/10!" but you can write something to that effect in art criticism.

Yes, I completely agree.
When Huber talks about his swimming in 7s, really, maybe, some of those games don't need to be a 7. There is no game that will be perfect on every aspect, so equating a 10 to objective perfection is a futile exercise. Games could be judged more like art and I think they equate to movies in the sense that there is "mass consumption", there is a need for commercial value, but we still hear a lot of voices and criticism coming at it from the artistic point of view and as a result a much wider range of valuation.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Is there anyone in this thread who would be interested in doing a small art project for something vaguely EZA related? DM me if you want more info. Thanks!

1 gift from fireworksordie

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from fireworksordie fireworksordie!

This is a quick raffle that will expire in 6 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

fireworksordie said:
kw2Vc9t.gif

You have 18 days to finish these before III. Good luck!

These are our awesome prizes:

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
lol been so bored, going through EA E3 reaction videos - nothing beats the RE7 and Death Stranding vids.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't been paying attention - (how) are they covering Blizzcon? I was surprised there were no reactions to the opening ceremony. This year's event is pretty meaty for various reasons.