• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 4, 2018
is bosman going to share his Death Stranding thoughts in any capacity?

I was (lack of a better word.. "disappointed") when I saw he wasnt on frame trap or spoiler mode
Probably eventually on one of his Friday night streams or a future Frame Trap. It might be a while though. Last week he was talking about how he hadn't played much DS or Luigi's Mansion due to being busy with Box Peek and sort of not feeling in the mood.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
A trailer for a Shenmue III documentary that Huber's in just dropped!

He appears at 3:54. Looks really worth watching. Weird that Huber's not credited as a member of Easy Allies, though.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Also, what happened to betting? It's one of their most beloved content and for every event they find another excuse not to do it. They actually don't even need events for that, you could easily come up with bets that aren't tied to big events. When they got the studio, Jones said they definitely want to do more betting specials again. Months in the studio: 10, number of betting specials: 1. Well, that didn't work out, did it? It's a shame, because the most memorable EZA moments are betting outcomes.
PLEASE BELIEVE
When 2020 hits and we're in the midst of next-gen mania...the betting specials are gonna be ON AND POPPING

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
That box peek episode was great and it's use of special effects perfectly executed hahaha

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
That Box Peek episode was great but not as great as the previous episode. This one would go into the HoG only after all the Nintendo anime. Whereas last week was a first ballot 24+ points Great.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Does anyone know when Jones usually picks up fan mail for the Tuesday stream? Trying to see if it's too late to get anything over for this coming Tuesday.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Kyle and Damiani's mario 64 stream was super jolly. Makes me again think they shouldn't stick to the established stream groups (mike and mike, blood/ben/brad, kyle and jones) and mix things up after a while.

Baybob

Oct 4, 2019
Definitely, I wish it would of launched then, but their is something fun about it launching on Halloween.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
Can't say I enjoyed that one either. It was better than last weeks. I just don't really understand what it has to do with the show up to this point.

Oct 25, 2017
I like the implications this episode presents for the show's endgame. Knowing Kyle, I don't think he'd introduce something as nuts as multiple dimensions without paying it off somehow. Hopefully. I'll be very disappointed if this episode was just a fun romp.

I mean, I don't watch a lot of anime at all, so I don't know if there's some trope where a show will introduce a weird idea and then never pay it off. If that's what Kyle's doing, then sure I guess. But I'll be bummed from a storytelling standpoint.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
I mean, I don't watch a lot of anime at all, so I don't know if there's some trope where a show will introduce a weird idea and then never pay it off. If that's what Kyle's doing, then sure I guess. But I'll be bummed from a storytelling standpoint.
It's obviously because Kyle watched Evangelion and wanted to put some sort of major trauma in the show somehow. That's really it.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
I'll be frank, most Box Peek episodes just have me smiling or maybe sharply exhaling through my nose.

This episode was genuinely fucking hilarious.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
Didn't he just watch that though? Like after the Netflix release? These scripts are two years old. I don't think that's it.
He did say that it's unlikely that Evangelion would influence Box Peek, but it definitely felt like an Evangelion thing. I don't think that just because the main story is in place that he can't make something spontaneously.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
The scripts for Box Peek were done two years ago. Both Peek Ref 12's and Kazomi's archs had been set in motion in the pilot already. The last two episodes were excursions to explore the world or side characters like many great shows do in their mid-to-late-stage before going back to wrap up the main plot. The last 3 episodes will be peak box peek again.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
Can't say I enjoyed that one either. It was better than last weeks. I just don't really understand what it has to do with the show up to this point.
It's been my favorite episode because it fundamentally changes how you look at
Kazomi
in a way that's hilarious when you watch the show back. Like, it's impossible not to think about it the entire time they're on screen.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man I was really excited to see the spoiler mode on Death Stranding but unless I've missed something spoiler mode doesnt go to YouTube anymore? Will it eventually go up on there or is it patron only now?

demu

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Man I was really excited to see the spoiler mode on Death Stranding but unless I've missed something spoiler mode doesnt go to YouTube anymore? Will it eventually go up on there or is it patron only now?
Spoiler Modes have been Patreon exclusive for quite some time now. It's just $1, though.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Spoiler Modes have been Patreon exclusive for quite some time now. It's just $1, though.

Ah I wondered why I hadn't seen one for a while. I might jump on it, just been really cutting it tight for money recently so despite the really low price, its one of those things where I'm struggling to justify it anyway if you know what I mean. Like it's only $1 but it's also one I should probably save for food lol. Might have to catch up with it in a month or two when things are hopefully looking up again.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
About this week's podcast, what Kyle said about Pokemon being Barney. I mean, he's not wrong, but it wasn't always like this. Pokemon used to be like Pixar, making games not only for kids but people of all ages. I'm not saying that the current games still aren't liked by older audiences, but they could definitely be a lot better than they are now. Problems with over-tutorializing, lack of significant challenge, and overall lack of extra content have plagued the past few gens. That's not to mention that cutbacks on Pokemon and graphical/animation hangups that Sword and Shield have.

Do Gamefreak need to change? I guess we don't yet know if Sw/Sh sales have been affected by recent controversies, but I'm guessing they won't. But if they were able to straddle the line between the hardcore and casuals in previous gens, then they should be able to do that again. I guess my argument is, you should always be trying to expand the audience of your games without alienating the existing playerbase. And you shouldn't be able to get away with providing less and less with every new game but charging more in return, regardless of the game being for kids.

Oct 25, 2017
About this week's podcast, what Kyle said about Pokemon being Barney. I mean, he's not wrong, but it wasn't always like this. Pokemon used to be like Pixar, making games not only for kids but people of all ages. I'm not saying that the current games still aren't liked by older audiences, but they could definitely be a lot better than they are now. Problems with over-tutorializing, lack of significant challenge, and overall lack of extra content have plagued the past few gens. That's not to mention that cutbacks on Pokemon and graphical/animation hangups that Sword and Shield have.

Do Gamefreak need to change? I guess we don't yet know if Sw/Sh sales have been affected by recent controversies, but I'm guessing they won't. But if they were able to straddle the line between the hardcore and casuals in previous gens, then they should be able to do that again. I guess my argument is, you should always be trying to expand the audience of your games without alienating the existing playerbase. And you shouldn't be able to get away with providing less and less with every new game but charging more in return, regardless of the game being for kids.

I haven't listened to the podcast yet but I agree with everything you've posted.

I'm also not a fan of the argument that Pokemon needs to be simplified and made more accessible for a new generation of gamers (an excuse used to often defend the over-tutoralization).

Plenty of kids grew up with Pokemon, myself included. I see no reason to believe that the current generation of kids is, for lack of a better word, dumber and this need even more hand holding for a series that has never been particularly complex to begin with.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't listened to the podcast yet but you can put me in the camp that believes Pokémon benefits from QOL changes as it enters the console generation. I grew up with Blue and Yellow, then didn't play again until Diamond. By that point, at least at that point and time, I remember feeling that Pokémon had gotten bloated with things it didn't need. Was it wholly obtuse? No...but it wasn't what I remembered. I played about 5 hours of X when that was released before dropping it entirely.

Now I am 15 hours into Shield with 3 badges, and absolutely loving it. I know the dream would be to have Horizon: Zero Dawn's budget, and create a truly wide-open experience, but honestly, the game sells too well as-is to ever change. I'll listen to the podcast tomorrow and hone my thoughts, but yeah...I doubt Game Freak will ever break the formula because there is just no reason to do so.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019

Apparently SwSh's launch day sales were more double what Let's Go did in two days, and all SwSh's combined SKUs could potentially rival Smash's launch according to Benji's estimates. I doubt Gamefreak will see a need to change, unfortunately. SwSh really could have used an extra year of development.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished the podcast. Really went off the rails for the last half hour or so, hahaha. Great episode.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah the Barney comparison is a bit extreme, Pixar makes more sense. It's for everyone but designed with kids in mind first.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Haven't listened to the pokemon part of the podcast yet - have played Sw/Sh: It's less handholdy, less casual, more challenging and more ambitious than S/M, US/UM and LGP/LGE.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
lol i got hard baited with the pod. opened the link, wondered if they talked about pokemon and instantly clicked the time code.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
hardcore fans will never be happy again. i'm convinced, they don't really know what they want.
What makes you think that? A lot of fans are not happy with the changes that started from XY when the series jumped to the 3DS. A lot of the issues people have with the games currently traces back to the removal of options, removal of features, less exploration, and more forced linearity. On top of that, Game Freak has cut the one thing fans have invested decades of games and money over to preserve, and the games feel less polished than any other mainline release. I think it's clear where the discontent is coming from.

This sort of reaction is sort of a pent up release of frustration fans have endured for seven years now.