• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to watch the Gundam stream archive, and can't wait for both Timesplitters 2 AND Hall of Greats streams tomorrow! Great EZA week.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Mattresses, bras, VPNs, food delivery services, and web hosting solutions.

Yum.
Don't forget watches, glasses and grooming products.

Edit:
To be honest, it's been a while since I watched any of the RT affiliated channels (since they shut down The Know, which I sometimes watched), so it might have changed. I do think it's boring to see the same ads on all channels, but what can you do.

WiseSplinteR

Oct 28, 2017
The worst thing about the Roost type ads profile for me is the way they word the copy, so many times I've heard someone on a podcast reading an ad saying stuff like:
"Well personally I am a [x] kinda guy, that's why i wear my [x] every day",
"I order a box from [y] every month and my wardrobe has never been more trendy or suited my personal tastes better",
"I was worried about my hairline but now with [z] I don't have to anymore and my confidence is through the roof" etc etc.

It's like the advertiser expects the reader to pretend to actually use their product, and the text comes across is as if meant to be taken as a genuine statement from the reader even while they use the 'ad-read' voice. So weird. Maybe it's actually very transparent and I'm just a dummy.

EZA has not done this as far as I know? No one ever said, for example: "Last weekend when I was desperate for keys iKeyless was there for me when I needed them" or some crap. Hopefully they don't start doing it like
Funhaus or kindafunny
As much as I enjoy those podcasts the ad reads are so cringe.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
The worst thing about the Roost type ads profile for me is the way they word the copy, so many times I've heard someone on a podcast reading an ad saying stuff like:
"Well personally I am a [x] kinda guy, that's why i wear my [x] every day",
"I order a box from [y] every month and my wardrobe has never been more trendy or suited my personal tastes better",
"I was worried about my hairline but now with [z] I don't have to anymore and my confidence is through the roof" etc etc.

It's like the advertiser expects the reader to pretend to actually use their product, and the text comes across is as if meant to be taken as a genuine statement from the reader even while they use the 'ad-read' voice. So weird. Maybe it's actually very transparent and I'm just a dummy.

EZA has not done this as far as I know? No one ever said, for example: "Last weekend when I was desperate for keys iKeyless was there for me when I needed them" or some crap. Hopefully they don't start doing it like
Funhaus or kindafunny
As much as I enjoy those podcasts the ad reads are so cringe.
To be fair, I don't think that's specifically Roost's fault though. I think it's the fault of the brands they are pushing.
I have seen this on non-Rooster Teeth channels with the same brands. All of it is worded in the same way and while it might be that they also use Roost (I don't know), it just seems that some brands seem to think wording it like that works. I can almost guarantee you that Jones' read will be the same as it is on all those channels (and I agree with you in that I don't like that either).

But I don't understand how advertisements can get people to buy a product in the first place. I think I can count the times that I was tempted to buy a product because of an add on one hand (and it usually makes me not want to buy the product), but they apparently do work as they keep doing them.

And again, while I am not a big fan, I do understand why EZA went that route and I can see why it's probably better for the company. I just prefer hearing from patrons who care about EZA instead of some random big company who doesn't even know that their ads are on EZA's content and doesn't care how well EZA is doing. But I hope it does well for EZA and I will keep watching and supporting them.

Last edited:

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Relying on big patreon ad sponsors was always risky and I'm glad EZA is moving towards a much more stable source of revenue.

Oct 25, 2017
If EZA are great with the change, then I'm happy.

Of course, part of me is always apprehensive with these changes, but that's just a part of it.

WiseSplinteR

Oct 28, 2017
To be fair, I don't think that's specifically Roost's fault though. I think it's the fault of the brands they are pushing.
I have seen this on non-Rooster Teeth channels with the same brands. All of it is worded in the same way and while it might be that they also use Roost (I don't know), it just seems that some brands seem to think wording it like that works. I can almost guarantee you that Jones' read will be the same as it is on all those channels (and I agree with you in that I don't like that either).

But I don't understand how advertisements can get people to buy a product in the first place. I think I can count the times that I was tempted to buy a product because of an add on one hand (and it usually makes me not want to buy the product), but they apparently do work as they keep doing them.

And again, while I am not a big fan, I do understand why EZA went that route and I can see why it's probably better for the company. I just prefer hearing from patrons who care about EZA instead of some random big company who doesn't even know that their ads are on EZA's content and doesn't care how well EZA is doing. But I hope it does well for EZA and I will keep watching and supporting them.

Sure, I'm all for the Allies being in a more stable situation concerning their finances, and also them getting to spend more time creating content rather than chasing $$$. Good for them and more power to them absolutely. Also I won't stop watching their video's even if they do end up reading those same ads in the same way, just puts me off a bit. A week or two ago I was listening to another of my favourite youtubers when they read an ad for a certain mobile game, they were clearly looking down at a page and reading something like:

'This game is SOOO great, and the micro-transactions aren't even that bad! I've been playing for two weeks and have already reached level X without spending a single cent!''

Comes across as sketch AF to me, the most shadiest of deals. Maybe it's supposed to be obviously fake?
Luckily there will be an ad-free version for patrons so I guess I won't be exposed to this anyway (if it even ends up being like this for EZA, as yet uncertain).

Wiggy

Oct 26, 2017
Jones said they have been under selling themselves, so hopefully they get a nice financial boost from this. Plus the new merch might bring more money in and ad free tier maybe encouraging new patrons. Good news all round imo

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Jones said they have been under selling themselves, so hopefully they get a nice financial boost from this. Plus the new merch might bring more money in and ad free tier maybe encouraging new patrons. Good news all round imo

Yeah I thought this for a while, I don't remember the exact number but back before Kinda Funny shook up their patreon they also had a similar sponsor / shout out tier, and it was MUCH more expensive than the EZA one.

EDIT: Looks like they (KF) have various shoutout tiers at $250, $500, and $750 now (similar to what EZA has/had), what I saw before seemed like an actual sponsorship type deal and it was way more than that.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
that's now how ads work and you have been influenced by adds hundreds of times in your life. we all have.
That might be the case (I can't say for sure how much I was influenced, I was talking about having the incentive to buying a product), but the more annoying an ad is, the more I will actively try my best to never have anything to do with the product involved (yes, I'm a very stubborn person).

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I thought this for a while, I don't remember the exact number but back before Kinda Funny shook up their patreon they also had a similar sponsor / shout out tier, and it was MUCH more expensive than the EZA one.

EDIT: Looks like they (KF) have various shoutout tiers at $250, $500, and $750 now (similar to what EZA has/had), what I saw before seemed like an actual sponsorship type deal and it was way more than that.

They used to have a $10K sponsorship tier. I remember seeing that as well and thinking that the allies were really undervaluing themselves BUT I do have to wonder how much advertising the allies will be able to do. I believe sponsoring kinda funny meant getting an ad read on every show that they do, which is a fuck ton, way more than eza does on a weekly basis. I doubt we will ever get to know the actual numbers for eza.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
A few thoughts on some of the topics discussed here:

- Absolutely no issue with the change to advertising. While the legends who donated at the sponsorship level are/were outstanding, a podcast getting tens of thousands of views weekly 3.5+ years in to it shouldn't be monetarily reliant on the whims of uber-generous listeners. There's better ways and should allow them greater flexibility going forward.

- I don't have an issue with Huber reviewing Shenmue, but an "objective" review of Shenmue isn't what I'm really interested in. Shenmue has always been about passion and "dreams" for Huber. I'd love to hear Huber speak at length just about his time with Shenmue 3, both good and bad, but I'm not interested in a numerical score, per se. To be clear, Shenmue 3 is a unique circumstance and I wouldn't hope it would be common to approach games in this way, but Shenmue is literally the culmination of dreams.

- VERY excited for Yakuza 0 to rightfully take its place in the Hall of Greats tonight.

Last edited:

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Is it Hall of Greats today? Can't wait!

Prediction: Huber will present Shenmue 3, Brandon will present Grand Theft Auto 5 and Don will present Super Mario Maker 2. Brad will present Yakuza 0 (will be inducted).

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Well, this move is probably great for EZA financially...I just don't want to hear another fucking Blue Apron or Audible ad. But I can bear it, just don't become excessively smarmy or over commercialized like KF.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm happy if they can stay financially stable. Especially since being a patron I can just opt for an ad-free podcast! Win-win imo.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
The Game Awards nominations are out. Who do we think EZA nominated. Or, who do we think they didn't nominate. I can't see them nominating Disco Elysium. Also can't see them putting Death Stranding up for Action/Adventure.

Oct 25, 2017
The great thing about each hog is that they slowly knock off the usual suspects each time. Thats when shit starts getting interesting, and its less about "well, it is 'x nintendo game' and the person literally said nothing for 5 minutes so lets vote it anyways, and more 'ok, convince me on this game'.

Obviously exaggerating with the Nintendo game, but thats what it felt like sometimes with some games. Like, nothing really needs to be said. It clearly belongs in here.

OP
OP
fireworksordie
May 30, 2018
i kinda think d&d shouldn't count, it's not a *video* game, and it's really more like a category, both points made on stream. opens a whole can of worms :(