• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
If E3 falls apart they might have to change how that betting special works, maybe something like a "Summer Season of Bets."

I really liked the whole tournament bracket thing they did in 2017-8.

OP
OP
fireworksordie
May 30, 2018
i was kind of looking forward to continuing to make E3 the big ShockorScoff event of the year. is predictability and consistency too much to ask for?!

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Heh, yeah, since the details leak and State of Play getting more of a footing (even though they've shown they've had nothing to announce. E3 2019 would have been hilarious with Iron Man VR and Predator) I've been figuring this was going to happen. Why did I have to use the wording stage show!

They still might do an MS and have a show/games off site and sod the show floor, which I'm all for. Screw the ESA.

If E3 falls apart they might have to change how that betting special works, maybe something like a "Summer Season of Bets."

I really liked the whole tournament bracket thing they did in 2017-8.

There should be no reason why they can't have them for the console reveal events.

Oct 25, 2017
Heh, yeah, since the details leak and State of Play getting more of a footing (even though they've shown they've had nothing to announce. E3 2019 would have been hilarious with Iron Man VR and Predator) I've been figuring this was going to happen. Why did I have to use the wording stage show!

They still might do an MS and have a show/games off site and sod the show floor, which I'm all for. Screw the ESA.

Don't worry, we'll save this for the start of E3. Just to be extra sure.

A_Dang

Oct 27, 2017
Western New York
I had "the talk" with my wife last night...

Sitting down to watch the latest podcast episode I asked her in a comparison between Pop-Tarts and Toaster Strudels which was better.

I've always understood the comparison. Pop-Tarts are reliably, well, pop-tarts. You know what you are going to get, and you get it. Toaster Strudels? Those are a devils bargain. I have never had a Toaster Strudel experience I have not been disappointed in. Deep in my memory I can vividly recall spending the night at my video-game friend Chris's house and waking to have Toaster Strudels for breakfast. My family was not the Strudel sort, they felt high-class and beyond what my parents would normally spend for a treat. I waited in eager anticipation for my first taste of this exotic "forbidden fruit," for a taste of a treat beyond my means. While I was expecting delicious, flakey and buttery crust, hand glazed (by my own hand!), wrapped delicately around warmed fruit filling, instead, the slightly soggy, lukewarm and limp Strudel met my tastebuds. I learned not to trust that day, marketing had deceived me. The comparison Kyle is making I would also intuitively make, I never questioned it...and I assumed my wife would be in solidarity with me. "She is a woman with good sense and wisdom, of course she understands this comparison!" I thought to myself.

I was horribly mistaken. Upon my questioning my wife not only admitted to handily preferring a Strudel...she also added them to our grocery list for the next time we go shopping. What have I wrought? I hastily, and successfully, petitioned for Pop-Tarts to be added to the list as well, to bring some sort of cosmic balance to our home. I will attempt those nasty looking pretzel pop-tarts Jones tweeted about the other day.

Really though: I never thought anything of the Pop-Tart vs. Strudel segment, and I continually surprised by how many people like/prefer Toaster Strudels.

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone on the Stream Team tier explain why they're doing this week's stream on Wednesday night instead of Tuesday afternoon? Is this a temporary thing? Very curious...

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
I had "the talk" with my wife last night...

Sitting down to watch the latest podcast episode I asked her in a comparison between Pop-Tarts and Toaster Strudels which was better.

I've always understood the comparison. Pop-Tarts are reliably, well, pop-tarts. You know what you are going to get, and you get it. Toaster Strudels? Those are a devils bargain. I have never had a Toaster Strudel experience I have not been disappointed in. Deep in my memory I can vividly recall spending the night at my video-game friend Chris's house and waking to have Toaster Strudels for breakfast. My family was not the Strudel sort, they felt high-class and beyond what my parents would normally spend for a treat. I waited in eager anticipation for my first taste of this exotic "forbidden fruit," for a taste of a treat beyond my means. While I was expecting delicious, flakey and buttery crust, hand glazed (by my own hand!), wrapped delicately around warmed fruit filling, instead, the slightly soggy, lukewarm and limp Strudel met my tastebuds. I learned not to trust that day, marketing had deceived me. The comparison Kyle is making I would also intuitively make, I never questioned it...and I assumed my wife would be in solidarity with me. "She is a woman with good sense and wisdom, of course she understands this comparison!" I thought to myself.

I was horribly mistaken. Upon my questioning my wife not only admitted to handily preferring a Strudel...she also added them to our grocery list for the next time we go shopping. What have I wrought? I hastily, and successfully, petitioned for Pop-Tarts to be added to the list as well, to bring some sort of cosmic balance to our home. I will attempt those nasty looking pretzel pop-tarts Jones tweeted about the other day.

Really though: I never thought anything of the Pop-Tart vs. Strudel segment, and I continually surprised by how many people like/prefer Toaster Strudels.

I have never had a bad Toaster Strudel experience. Perhaps I am a mutant that can cook them to perfection but I find cold/unwarmed Poptarts to be awful. I shall continue to protest this misnamed segment.

A_Dang

Oct 27, 2017
Western New York
I have never had a bad Toaster Strudel experience. Perhaps I am a mutant that can cook them to perfection but I find cold/unwarmed Poptarts to be awful. I shall continue to protest this misnamed segment.

Teach me your Strudel ways, as I will have some in my house that I will attempt to enjoy!

I can't remember the last time I tried to heat a Pop-Tart, just room temperature for me, I really do enjoy them. There was a period where I'd have a packet of 2 of them every Sunday morning. I remember that period fondly!

With all that said, even though I agree with Kyle on the superiority of Pop-Tarts I cannot stand in agreement with him about Brown Sugar Cinnamon being the best. Those are D-Tier at best. Ugh.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I've had positive toaster strudel experiences but none of them have been as good as a hot fudge or cookies and creme pop tart.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing better than some 100% pure peanut butter on some wholemeal toast.

That's why Half Life Alyx is my PB Toast

Oct 25, 2017
Sony E3 has been OFFICIALLY CANCELLED.

Fuck me sideways. Sony was an ABSOLUTE MASSIVE part of E3 for me. It was like the main course.

Them leaving really really REALLY stings, especially as an EZA fan.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019

Fuck me sideways. Sony was an ABSOLUTE MASSIVE part of E3 for me. It was like the main course.

Yeah, Nintendo and Microsoft will still be able to put on a fun show but it just won't be the same, even as someone who isn't a Sony fan.

OP
OP
fireworksordie
May 30, 2018
interesting that they mentioned going to hundreds of consumer facing events and didn't name-check any particular major event in E3's stead. almost sounds like they won't do a major event at all.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Sony will definitely do at least one big flashy event this year where they showcase the PS5 and its games, I'm confident in that.
Draft your tweets.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I was convinced Sony wouldn't skip it this year because of the PS5, but whatever. I do think they'd be nuts to not have a competing event, especially since I imagine MS will probably still showcase around that time and Sony wouldn't want to have their thunder stolen so easily. So fingers crossed we get SOME kind of showing, even it's just a special State of Play around that same time.

E3 is just a venue, really, and Microsoft and EA have proven you don't need the ESA to still make an impact during that time.

Oct 25, 2017
We said the exact same thing last year.........
True, but they did have a State of Play a few days before, so it's not like they weren't trying to have some presence. And that's all I really expect this year. (Edit: Nope! I was wrong) It'd be great if they took advantage of everyone being in LA for E3 to have a separate event, but my gut says they won't, or they would've said something in this announcement. But I'll happily be wrong.

Selfishly, I'll only miss their E3 presence because it means one less EZA reaction stream. So fingers-crossed on the State of Play so we can at least have that.

Last edited:

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
I just really dislike State of Play presentations. Sterile, and the narration over it just doles out game trailers and announcements like Sony is doing us a favour.

At least with Sony's E3 presentations, it always feels like a game's attempt to capture your imagination. Now it just feels like pure marketing gunk. Even the FFVII State of Play trailer felt like that. If Nintendo Directs have personality, then Sony's State of Play presentations have negative personality.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I just really dislike State of Play presentations. Sterile, and the narration over it just doles out game trailers and announcements like Sony is doing us a favour.

At least with Sony's E3 presentations, it always feels like a game's attempt to capture your imagination. Now it just feels like pure marketing gunk. Even the FFVII State of Play trailer felt like that. If Nintendo Directs have personality, then Sony's State of Play presentations have negative personality.
State of Play presentations just have no excitement to them.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
We said the exact same thing last year.........

I think Sony wants to actively damage E3.

So they aren't going to do anything around E3. That just brings more people and more eyes to it.

Maybe they'll do something in July. If they reveal February and release in the holiday window they gotta have something in between.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Not to go all Brand-Managery here, but Sony is seriously screwing EZA out of some grade-A content these last few years! They've "skipped" the past 2 PSX's and what will be the last 2 E3's all in their backyard of LA. Announcements are great and yadda-yadda-yadda, but I want E3 shenanigans from EZA more than game announcements!

While we are kind of in the moment right now and it's hard to have a great historical perspective because of that, Sony has been weirddd since their bizarre 2017 E3. They've been the market leader and since then have basically announced zero new games, had zero notable public appearances, changed basically all of their leadership and made major PS5 announcements in Wired (!?) articles. In a time when Nintendo was "weak" (after the Wii-U) and Xbox as a whole was struggling, they basically did very little with the overwhelming position they were in and allowed both to make major strides back to health. Obviously, like all being "healthy," but what a bizarre few years it has been on their front.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Not to go all Brand-Managery here, but Sony is seriously screwing EZA out of some grade-A content these last few years! They've "skipped" the past 2 PSX's and what will be the last 2 E3's all in their backyard of LA. Announcements are great and yadda-yadda-yadda, but I want E3 shenanigans from EZA more than game announcements!

While we are kind of in the moment right now and it's hard to have a great historical perspective because of that, Sony has been weirddd since their bizarre 2017 E3. They've been the market leader and since then have basically announced zero new games, had zero notable public appearances, changed basically all of their leadership and made major PS5 announcements in Wired (!?) articles. In a time when Nintendo was "weak" (after the Wii-U) and Xbox as a whole was struggling, they basically did very little with the overwhelming position they were in and allowed both to make major strides back to health. Obviously, like all being "healthy," but what a bizarre few years it has been on their front.
Whatever Sony's thinking is, I'm happy to see all of the big three back up on their feet and operating at full throttle.

Oct 25, 2017

I agree, but I'm always someone who'll take something bad over nothing at all, so I don't mind too much. Half the fun is the Allies reacting, for me at least.

I think, also, that once this holding pattern is over with the PS5 unveiling, things may shift significantly. It has to be hard to market things when so much of what your internal studios are working on is a secret. Hopefully they go all out with their presentations in the future, even if they continue to be all digital. I doubt it, but I'm still holding out hope.

And yeah, lazybones18, I really do hope they do a PSX this year. If they're all about consumer-facing events, they ought to truly live up to that idea and bring back their biggest fan convention.

Oct 25, 2017

I think PSX is dead, honestly.

I agree, but I'm always someone who'll take something bad over nothing at all, so I don't mind too much. Half the fun is the Allies reacting, for me at least.

I think, also, that once this holding pattern is over with the PS5 unveiling, things may shift significantly. It has to be hard to market things when so much of what your internal studios are working on is a secret. Hopefully they go all out with their presentations in the future, even if they continue to be all digital. I doubt it, but I'm still holding out hope.

And yeah, I really do hope they do a PSX this year. If they're all about consumer-facing events, they ought to truly live up to that idea and bring back their biggest fan convention.

How does Microsoft constantly have something? Last E3, now they'll be back for this e3.

Oct 25, 2017
How does Microsoft constantly have something? Last E3, now they'll be back for this e3.
The vast majority of their last few shows have been third-party announcements. They've also had a few other things going on for them in terms of announcements like new studios and pushing Game Pass. They seem to find a way to "announce" things that aren't actually new games, so when you add that to third-party stuff, it makes up for the lack of actual first-party things at big shows like E3 and XO19.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
I really hope they don't spend ages on E3 on the podcast. It's a conversation we've heard over and over again. E3 is going to its death, we don't have to hear about EZAs complaints about not being able to get around because of the public, or having to pay for press passes, for the second or third time.

Sony isn't going to be on E3. Speculate about what they're going to do as an alternative.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca

It ultimately depends on what Sony does to make up for their E3 absence. If they put on their own PSX event around the same time frame as E3, then I'm not really going to complain. It doesn't make much difference to me in that case. If they do a State of Play video or keep quiet and low-key like they've been doing for the past year and a half or so, then yeah that's a big problem. The State of Play format just isn't that satisfying. I mean, it has its uses I suppose in a year where you don't want to make any big announcements because of the new generation that's on the horizon, but in 2020, a year that's all about the PS5 for Sony, they should jettison that shit. Just avoid it completely and revert back to doing the event cycle of PSX, TGS and PGW. Those big, showy live conferences are what serve the PlayStation brand best.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
both pop-tarts and toaster strudels are disgusting. why would anyone ever eat these when you can have freshly baked pastries at every corner?

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Microsoft E3 the de facto place to reveal a multiplatform game for third-parties that aren't big enough to host their own press conference or just don't feel like it, especially now that Sony is out.
That's assuming third parties all announce their games at E3, when it's becoming less and less of a thing every year. I'm sure there'll be plenty of third parties at whatever Sony does instead and plenty of other third parties who announce their games in their own time when they won't be overshadowed by $100 million+ budget games.

I really hope they don't spend ages on E3 on the podcast. It's a conversation we've heard over and over again. E3 is going to its death, we don't have to hear about EZAs complaints about not being able to get around because of the public, or having to pay for press passes, for the second or third time.

Sony isn't going to be on E3. Speculate about what they're going to do as an alternative.
TBH I'm half expecting EZA to take the "how dare Sony pull out of E3 in the PS5's launch year" approach. I dunno why, I guess because their reactions to the Wired articles last year were so bizarre.