• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
I ADORE the Allies. But I find it incredibly frustrating that they haven't posted a FF7 Remake react to the latest trailer. Reactions are all the rage. Do they not want more subscribers? Literally everyone else is doing a reaction.
I don't see how this will net them a lot more new subscribers since the internet is full with reactions to that trailer.
And like stealthyfrog said, it wouldn't work if they had already watched it.
A Trailer Jones might happen.

It's weird, I have seen the videos about it, but I'm not going to watch it since I haven't played the original yet.
I already know way more about that game than I usually would want before really playing it, so I try to keep as far away from in dept stuff as possible myself (which doesn't mean I'm upset at people for "spoiling" a 20+ year old video game, not much you can do about that).

That being said, I don't think it's a bad idea to do a reaction in some form to a trailer for a video game most of them seem to love (Jones doesn't) and which is as popular as this one. It probably just wasn't in the cards.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
I completely agree with the Patreon poll idea and came here to post the same. It seems that EZA have made an assumption that patron's would prefer no adds and I am not sure that that is the case. It certainly isn't for me and I will be checking out podcast halftime when the podcast goes on general release. I am intensely curious to see how it is handled.
I'm a $5 Patron and I've barely felt the impact of ads/sponsors. I'm fine with the Allies continuing to pay the bills by any means necessary. I'm proud to give what I give, and I don't demand any more or less.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you want to listen to ads that much wait a few days and listen to the public podcasts.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Frame Trap Episode 100 is fantastic. Particularly wonderful Hottake about Easy Allies and where they may go in the future.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017

This is good stuff, especially Feep's pre-game speech putting things into context. Though as far as I'm aware, Squaresoft didn't just lose FFIX's source code and assets though, they also lost FFVII and VIII's. The difference is VII and VIII had PC ports they could reverse engineer, whereas IX didn't.

I'm pretty sure something similar happened to FF1-6 too. I'm sure I heard TOSE remade at least some of those games when they released them on the PS1 and Square Enix have been using those versions ever since.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

This is good stuff, especially Feep's pre-game speech putting things into context. Though as far as I'm aware, Squaresoft didn't just lose FFIX's source code and assets though, they also lost FFVII and VIII's. The difference is VII and VIII had PC ports they could reverse engineer, whereas IX didn't.

I'm pretty sure something similar happened to FF1-6 too. I'm sure I heard TOSE remade at least some of those games when they released them on the PS1 and Square Enix have been using those versions ever since.

Yeah I added a comment correcting that. I guess source control wasn't a thing back then? Could have just saved some hard drives...so crazy that that happened.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I added a comment correcting that. I guess source control wasn't a thing back then? Could have just saved some hard drives...so crazy that that happened.
Yeah, it sounds like they approached them as one-and-done's and never even considered that they'd one day want to port them to various new systems.

Sounds like that approach stuck around for a while longer too because according to Nomura, they had to remake KH1 to bring it out on PS3/PS4.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
So what do we have to do to get the "brad and huber explore eve online" show they talked about last night? Because that's the content i wanna see.

demu

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Thanks for introducing Ian to the beautiful game that is Final Fantasy IX, Feep! The dream is still a full playthrough on Twitch. One day!

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Wish there was more Damiani and Bosman streams. Just watched the Zelda 2 playthrough and although it was a group effort with people coming in and out throughout, the core of it was Damiani showing Kyle the nooks and crannies of Zelda 2. It was so cosy, wish there was more like it.

I ADORE the Allies. But I find it incredibly frustrating that they haven't posted a FF7 Remake react to the latest trailer. Reactions are all the rage. Do they not want more subscribers? Literally everyone else is doing a reaction.
I suspect the people the trailer means the most to at EZA are on media blackout for the game.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
Wish there was more Damiani and Bosman streams. Just watched the Zelda 2 playthrough and although it was a group effort with people coming in and out throughout, the core of it was Damiani showing Kyle the nooks and crannies of Zelda 2. It was so cosy, wish there was more like it.

I suspect the people the trailer means the most to at EZA are on media blackout for the game.

I totally understand. I just want them to grow their subscribers. If they want to I feel they need to do this. I love them so much I don't want them to fail. I'm not even that happy with the Trailer Jones format, because I want to SEE them. But I totally get what they're going for. Oh well.

Oct 25, 2017
Have to think, since he didn't acknowledge it, that Ben didn't mean to repeat an email question on Frame Trap from the last episode. Thought I was going crazy for a second, but I guess it's cool to get different perspectives on it.
Would rather have it in.

Patrons got the worse podcast honestly.
Kinda agree, honestly. Don't mind ad reads when they're fun, and this one was fun.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure some lunatic will do a summary video of all the ads for all the lunatics who have FOMO for ads.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
They should just link to both the ad-free and with-ad version of the podcast in each week's post. I'm a Patron and legitimately enjoy Podcast Halftime. Haha.

Also, super excited for Huber Syndrome returning.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
EPtxMFoXkAI8p-P

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
Right they deffinitly need to mention that at some point either in the beginning or durring podcast halftime itself.
It should be mentioned at the end of the podcast, as another benefit next to getting the episodes early when they plug their Patreon. Mentioning the ad free version right after the advertisement seems weird toward the sponsors.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
It should be mentioned at the end of the podcast, as another benefit next to getting the episodes early when they plug their Patreon. Mentioning the ad free version right after the advertisement seems weird toward the sponsors.
I can see that, on the other hand, those sponsors ask of them to lie about using their product in such a fake way, so yeah.
I was very curious about the ad, so I skipped to the ad part on the public podcast just to have a look.

I think the read was good, but those "I have been using blabla" just gives me the heebie-jeebies. But I have seen this before when I watched The Know (which was a Rooster Teeth channel), so I know they are asked to do this, so it is what it is.

It always feels to me like they are lying in my face though.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do for next podcasts, I might have a look a couple of times more when the public one drops, otherwise I will just watch the Patreon one. I do think it was well done all things considered (I am still not a fan of these types of ads compared to the Patreon tier ones), I do agree that mentioning ad free podcasts at the end of the podcast is a good idea (if they are allowed to do that).

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I can see that, on the other hand, those sponsors ask of them to lie about using their product in such a fake way, so yeah.
I was very curious about the ad, so I skipped to the ad part on the public podcast just to have a look.

I think the read was good, but those "I have been using blabla" just gives me the heebie-jeebies. But I have seen this before when I watched The Know (which was a Rooster Teeth channel), so I know they are asked to do this, so it is what it is.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do for next podcasts, I might have a look a couple of times more when the public one drops, otherwise I will just watch the Patreon one. I do think it was well done all things considered (I am still not a fan of these types of ads compared to the Patreon tier ones), I do agree that mentioning ad free podcasts at the end of the podcast is a good idea (if they are allowed to do that).
Wait, you think Jones was lying about using them?

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Wait, you think Jones was lying about using them?
I don't know. All of those types of "I am using blabla" always come over to me as it might not be true and it always makes me doubt it for sure.
He probably did use these, but I am not convinced he tried "multiple wireless earphones" though.

Btw, I am not saying it's any of the content creators fault since it's asked of them to say these things, but hearing the same stories on all channels being sponsored by the same products makes it sound more iffy to me personally.

But I am happy for them to have the opportunity to have sponsors like these know. I'm sure it's going to be good for EZA, it's just something that comes over as fake to me, whether it is fake or not.

Edit:
I also don't think it matters that much, so I probably should have kept my mouth shut (again, I do think they handled it well).
I really hope I didn't make people care about this stuff that weren't bothered by it before.
It's just something that always feels weird to me (whatever the channel), but I don't easily trust people when it comes to ads (and probably in general) as people tend to do and say a lot of things for money, so it's probably just me.

Again, I do think this is probably a good thing for EZA and I did go out of my way to check out the ad-version myself after watching the Patreon exclusive one, so that's on me. I was just wondering how it would look.

Last edited:

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge

The personal insert is definitely a requirement and a norm for professional podcast ads across almost all advertising networks these days. It's one of the bright stars of the ad industry right now and a big reason why the podcast industry itself is finally a growing business. The ads are relatively short, unintrusive and intimate, by keeping the friendly vibe between the host and the audience through the personal insert and/or funny ad read. It's a great business and listeners usually like them. The people reading the ads also get the stuff sent to them so they can actually try it.

That said, I totally get you and don't buy it either because they all use the same template. But it's just part of the market right now and I'm fine with it considering how well podcasts are doing content wise. It's insane how much free content gets produced on a daily basis, when you think about it.

e: SNL actually did a nice bit about podcasts and ad reads a while ago

0:50 if the time stamp doesn't work

Last edited:

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
The personal insert is definitely a requirement and a norm for professional podcast ads across almost all advertising networks these days. It's one of the bright stars of the ad industry right now and a big reason why the podcast industry itself is finally a growing business. The ads are relatively short, unintrusive and intimate, by keeping the friendly vibe between the host and the audience through the personal insert and/or funny ad read. It's a great business and listeners usually like them. The people reading the ads also get the stuff sent to them so they can actually try it.

That said, I totally get you and don't buy it either because they all use the same template. But it's just part of the market right now and I'm fine with it considering how well podcasts are doing content wise. It's insane how much free content gets produced on a daily basis, when you think about it.
I'm fine with it as well , it's just something I always notice when I see/hear ads like these, that's all.

But it doesn't matter what I think about it as long as most people agree that this is a good way of doing ads. I don't specifically say that it isn't a good way of doing them. I'm just saying that the story about the people reading the ad using the product just sounds fake to me personally (since they all have the same lines and all have similar stories) even though I am sure most of them have used those products before. I personally don't see how that can ever convince people of using the product, but I guess that's just me.

I know someone on here told me before that the idea behind ads isn't necessarily to try and get people to buy the products and I don't know anything at all about marketing, so I'm probably wrong anyway.

I do agree that this isn't a bad way of doing ads on podcasts and while I am giving my 2 cents about the way Roost pushes their ads, I do think the read was well done. It was short, relatively interesting and I honestly don't see much they can do to make it better.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
With W101 coming back Ben is going to be really happy in todays Community Showcase :). Switch and PC goals are already funded, PS4 should happen as well.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are they gonna be making a game in Dreams? Or just playing random stuff?