• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
edit: nevermind, fell asleep playing Golden Sun

The new schedule for EZX is up....so casual talk show is just ManUp Nights...right?

I'm glad they are still going to stream a lot during the week even if circumstances made it even harder. Huber and Brad Darksiders co-op stream is going to be good vibes

edit: also, is Don going to stream from his place on sunday? Also (nice, nice) Ian streaming from home? Those streams were always chill back when he did Obduction with Señor de Armas or Gorogoa

Last edited:

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm.. i'll tune in for the streams that seem to be multiple people and see what they're like, solo streams just aren't for me though sadly.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be tuning in throughout, thanks for the hard work during these trying times allies!

maxvsthegames

Jun 21, 2018
Kyle would be extremely wise to postpone his exit until later in the summer when hopefully the normal world returns. Otherwise its just reckless stubborness on show when fluid thinking is required at all times. Having a "work from home and play videogames" gig at this time but ditching it would be Top Ten Boneheads material.

He might even have to learn how to cook. Now THATS a show!

Yeah... He did say that he HAD to leave on May 1st for some reason.
Maybe it has something to do with the master class, not sure.
Or maybe because he already told his landlord that he was leaving for May 1st.

Either way, the only way I could see him staying is if California is quarantined, not allowing people to take flights to leave the state.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I'm impressed. I was extremely bummed (but totally understanding) about no studio during the streams, but there's actually a good amount of stuff I'm looking forward to! Especially casual talk show. Yeeesss.

Chuck

Oct 25, 2017
From the podcast:

"why did they have a guy announce Cerny [in the tech specs video]?"

They should probably read up on Jim Ryan, they guy in charge of PlayStation and reason for all this weird stuff surrounding the PS5 😬

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
Considering the limitations, that's a damn good schedule. Also great that we can now pencil in the Resistance BETA. I think that will be fun :)

Lilalaunebaer

Oct 27, 2017
I´ve been hovering over the buy button for Animal Crossing on cdkeys for 2 days now and finally said screw it.
Need something chill and i can play it while watching the streams starting tomorrow. Also it´s my first AC game.
So if any of you wanna add me.
SW-6939-2422-3012

munchie64

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The new schedule for EZX is up....so casual talk show is just ManUp Nights...right?
the-here-we-go-again-meme-is-perfect-for-every-frustrating-s_kgv8.960.png

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
The PS5 ranting on the podcast was a bummer. I legitimately don't even understand what the gripe is. Or rather, I don't know what specifically Sony was supposed to do differently. The tweets were clear. The first thing out of Jim Ryan's mouth on the video was that it's their GDC presentation. I don't know what Jones was wanting them to do. Not put up their talk for developers because it's going to make podcasters mildly annoyed? Love the crew but this was really bizarre. Poor Huber though. The only person who seemed to get it.

Greysif

Oct 25, 2017
Nah I'm with Jones. I don't have an issue with the tech talk, but I don't think this should have been the first thing they showed of the ps5 after so much time. Even less so with that poor messaging.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
The PS5 ranting on the podcast was a bummer. I legitimately don't even understand what the gripe is. Or rather, I don't know what specifically Sony was supposed to do differently. The tweets were clear. The first thing out of Jim Ryan's mouth on the video was that it's their GDC presentation. I don't know what Jones was wanting them to do. Not put up their talk for developers because it's going to make podcasters mildly annoyed? Love the crew but this was really bizarre. Poor Huber though. The only person who seemed to get it.
Jones hasn't been fond of Sony's PS5 marketing since they started doing the Wired articles. Not surprising he wasn't a fan of the GDC talk. Tbh I get where he's coming from, it might have been beneficial for Sony to do a more consumer-ended breakdown of the PS5's technical advancements alongside the nitty gritty Professor Cerny breakdown like how Microsoft did it.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Jones hasn't been fond of Sony's PS5 marketing since they started doing the Wired articles. Not surprising he wasn't a fan of the GDC talk. Tbh I get where he's coming from, it might have been beneficial for Sony to do a more consumer-ended breakdown of the PS5's technical advancements alongside the nitty gritty Professor Cerny breakdown like how Microsoft did it.
I kind of get that. At the same time though I've watched all the XSX stuff and at no point was I more hyped than before these blog posts and videos came out. I guess what I'm saying is that I agree spec talk is boring across the board, but I don't think Xbox has done as much as Jones and Damiani claim they have. I find both to be equally boring so far. Jones trying to tack on an Xbox One game (Halo) to the XSX isn't the next-gen hype I'm looking for.

I think the crew made better counterpoints for Jones' general annoyance with Sony (separate from the GDC thing). I think Ian has it right: Sony still wants people buying PS4 and PS4 games, and Microsoft would really like us to focus on the XSX right now.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017

I think it's because, outside of the Wired Article and the Playstation Blog post, which I don't really count as presenting anyway, this is the first time that Sony has even tried to present the PS5 at all, and that, in his opinion, that should be a presentation geared towards the general consumer.

By itself, I don't think anyone, apart from Ian which I didn't get, is arguing that the presentation was poorly done or misrepresented. They clearly told people it was a techy / architecture presentation, and told the audience there wouldn't be any games from the top. I don't understand what else they should be expected to do.

But back to the point, there's a great section where Brandon points out some really great points. About how they talk about Backwards Compatibility but the graphic they choose to use leaves a bunch of room where the mind logically fills out PS3, 2, 1. How they choose to use wiremeshes of the console form factors to present them in a graphic but then only show the PS5 logo.

I loved that presentation. Loved it. But not only does the general consumer not understand what they can expect from the PS5 apart from new hardware yet, but they're, intentionally or not, rubbing it in peoples faces.

Why not make all of the images logos? Why not just change the graphic for the GPU so it only fits in PS5, PS4 Pro, and PS4?

They needed to have had a reveal of some kind already. Just some sort of tease, which, like Jones says, will show consumers the emotional, dramatic experiences they can expect to have with this new console.

Microsoft's marketing is just far and away better, and the tone-deafness of the presentation only amplifies how much of a gap there is.

Last edited:

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Neither Playstation nor Xbox have started their marketing campaigns yet, These consoles are a long ways off and all the criticism i've seen reminds me of the people who criticized Sony for not showing what the PS4 looks like at their reveal event, spoiler alert: It didn't matter even a teeny tiny little bit.

Nov 5, 2017
Neither Playstation nor Xbox have started their marketing campaigns yet, These consoles are a long ways off and all the criticism i've seen reminds me of the people who criticized Sony for not showing what the PS4 looks like at their reveal event, spoiler alert: It didn't matter even a teeny tiny little bit.

Good point. Only the games and the performance from these games will be the arbitrator on which platform is better. Especially multiplatform titles.

Oct 25, 2017
This is exactly my take. It feels frustrating and unfortunate as far as our "thirst for more news" goes, but it won't matter once we get to the games/price part of the lead-up. And even then, we won't really know these consoles until they're a good year into their lives. It's fun to argue and speculate, but I'm very much not judging any of these consoles at this point. And I certainly don't care about how they're doling out information. All I care about is price and games.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I havnt watched all of the podcast yet but I think the biggest and most accurate criticism I've heard about the way the ps5 has been handled is that while yes they were very clear that it was a GDC talk it was advertised to the public so the public showed up expecting to see something that was atleast partially aimed at them. It would have been in sonys best interest to take advantage of everyone who is quarantined at home watching this event and give them something to be excited about. If they wernt ready to show the box thats fine but the video could have included gameplay examples of what they were talking about to help the layman understand why they should be excited. Microsoft understood this and showcased switching between multiple games, pathtraced minecraft and gears 5 running with new bells and whistles.

Oct 25, 2017
I havnt watched all of the podcast yet but I think the biggest and most accurate criticism I've heard about the way the ps5 has been handled is that while yes they were very clear that it was a GDC talk it was advertised to the public so the public showed up expecting to see something that was atleast partially aimed at them. It would have been in sonys best interest to take advantage of everyone who is quarantined at home watching this event and give them something to be excited about. If they wernt ready to show the box thats fine but the video could have included gameplay examples of what they were talking about to help the layman understand why they should be excited. Microsoft understood this and showcased switching between multiple games, pathtraced minecraft and gears 5 running with new bells and whistles.
Could've been that Sony filmed that GDC talk a couple of weeks ago before everyone was self-isolating, and didn't quite realize that they'd have so many eyes on it. But yeah, it shouldn't have been advertised as it was on their Twitter. It gave the impression that it was something everyone should watch. That was their biggest mistake. But I also get why they put that out on social media because why not? It wasn't a BAD presentation; it just wasn't for everyone.

I truly believe this was the talk to have AFTER revealing the console and maybe seeing some gameplay of a Sony title. That way, we have context. I mean, it's why a lot of tech companies reveal new products before going into features and tech. We want to SEE it, not hear about it.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Could've been that Sony filmed that GDC talk a couple of weeks ago before everyone was self-isolating, and didn't quite realize that they'd have so many eyes on it. But yeah, it shouldn't have been advertised as it was on their Twitter. It gave the impression that it was something everyone should watch. That was their biggest mistake. But I also get why they put that out on social media because why not? It wasn't a BAD presentation; it just wasn't for everyone.

I truly believe this was the talk to have AFTER revealing the console and maybe seeing some gameplay of a Sony title. That way, we have context. I mean, it's why a lot of tech companies reveal new products before going into features and tech. We want to SEE it, not hear about it.
Does Sony have a Twitter account focused on developer relations? Microsoft has a separate Twitter account for that stuff that tweeted about their digital GDC stuff

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't understand how "We're going to take a look at the system architecture" was translated to "EVERYONE GET HYPED!!11!"

And even if you somehow misunderstood, the very first thing Playstation did was say "This was our GDC talk" then to triple reinforce it immediately following that up they said "There's no game announcements here".

baltic

Oct 27, 2017
This is not related to the current discussion but does anyone know when did te allies stopped singing "you're a subscriber now" during streams?

Rewatching old streams at the moment and I never witnessed the cut.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't understand how "We're going to take a look at the system architecture" was translated to "EVERYONE GET HYPED!!11!"

And even if you somehow misunderstood, the very first thing Playstation did was say "This was our GDC talk" then to triple reinforce it immediately following that up they said "There's no game announcements here".
Yeah I really didn't get it either. I was surprised they even did a reaction video to it because I thought it was obvious enough how boring the video would be that there would be no need for a live reaction.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm with Jones. Just because they said "this is a GDC presentation" doesn't leave this whole PS5 rollout immune from criticism. The tweets were not that clear.

Contrast it with the PS4 announcement that happened in February of 2013: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiNGZMx2vhY

The PS4 announcement still had your 30 mins of Cerny tech talk first up about the system architecture but then followed it up with actual games and proper tech demos. And if you can use a calendar you can see that yes, Sony are way behind timeline wise compared to that year. Of course people are getting impatient about wanting more PS5 information.

I can't blame anyone for expecting something as hype as that initial PS4 reveal announcement, since it's the same company. They've already shown how to perfectly market and roll out a console during their launch year.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Sony is either an athlete sleepwalking the training session only to switch it on when it counts or an athlete who's about to toil away till the last minute in a game that should have been won by halftime.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
What did Blood say a couple yearly prediction streams ago? Whoever wins one console generation just seems to screw it up the next time around.

Personally, Sony makes games I am interested in and Microsoft does not, so it's no contest no matter how badly Sony botches the rollout.

maxvsthegames

Jun 21, 2018
What did Blood say a couple yearly prediction streams ago? Whoever wins one console generation just seems to screw it up the next time around.

Personally, Sony makes games I am interested in and Microsoft does not, so it's no contest no matter how badly Sony botches the rollout.

Same.
I really don't give a shit about GPU, SSD or Teraflops.

Sony has the better games, so I'm going with Sony, as simple as that.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
The games were always going to be the main thing for Sony. There just isn't a match there. However, they could be evenly matched in a few years, and then Sony has to start reacting. But who can say right now? They've both shown us nothing that actually matters to us. Maybe one console is more expensive. Maybe Xbox gets CoD day-1 on Game Pass. Maybe Sony makes online play free. Anything could happen. But when whatever happens finally happens no one is going to remember the spec reveals or the hardware tear down.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
This is not related to the current discussion but does anyone know when did te allies stopped singing "you're a subscriber now" during streams?

Rewatching old streams at the moment and I never witnessed the cut.
I believe it was because too many people subscribed so I think they just got tired of it. I personally never was a fan myself, so I was happy they stopped.
I don't remember when they stopped, but they didn't sing it all that long. A year, like Arkon said, might be correct.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I believe it was because too many people subscribed so I think they just got tired of it. I personally never was a fan myself, so I was happy they stopped.
I don't remember when they stopped, but they didn't sing it all that long. A year, like Arkon said, might be correct.
Yeah interupting conversation to acknowledge every subscription was really annoying. Though fun for the first week of EZA and it was exciting to see the success.

Wayfaerer

Oct 26, 2017
I'm with Jones. Just because they said "this is a GDC presentation" doesn't leave this whole PS5 rollout immune from criticism. The tweets were not that clear.

Contrast it with the PS4 announcement that happened in February of 2013: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiNGZMx2vhY

The PS4 announcement still had your 30 mins of Cerny tech talk first up about the system architecture but then followed it up with actual games and proper tech demos. And if you can use a calendar you can see that yes, Sony are way behind timeline wise compared to that year. Of course people are getting impatient about wanting more PS5 information.

I can't blame anyone for expecting something as hype as that initial PS4 reveal announcement, since it's the same company. They've already shown how to perfectly market and roll out a console during their launch year.

How was the tweet not clear? They said that it's gonna be a deep dive into system architecture with Mark Cerny. I don't know how anyone reads that and expects something like the PS4 reveal. They didn't say "PS5 reveal" or "PS5 presentation", they explicitly said that it's about the hardware.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How was the tweet not clear? They said that it's gonna be a deep dive into system architecture with Mark Cerny. I don't know how anyone reads that and expects something like the PS4 reveal. They didn't say "PS5 reveal" or "PS5 presentation", they explicitly said that it's about the hardware.

Context matters. People read the tweet and expect something with a bit more razzmatazz since 1. That is what Sony did first last time and 2. They have shown barely anything.

If it was going to be a small lecture like presentation, literally Cerny's GDC talk, then they should have explicitly made that clear. It's highly disingenuous to think that people should have expected what was shown. If you think the audience are dumb or sheep for expecting something different, then fair enough, but Sony is the one trying to sell the product to these sheep so the onus lies on them to set the expectations clearly.

This all doesn't matter in the end and personally I'm just going to buy every console that the big 3 put out so it doesn't matter to me, but still I feel compelled to defend EZA for having their gripes.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
The one thing I really hate that I keep seeing is the "It was available to the public so it should be at least partially aimed aimed at the public".

Seriously, fuck that entitled nonsense right now.

Just because something is accessible by you doesn't mean it should be aimed at you. Because the alternative is that companies make these kind of talks offline only, or invite only, which just fucks over the people that can't travel to these events for whatever reason. "Disabled, start-up, quarantined? Nah, fuck you. If you really cared about this presentation you would be here."

Seriously, stop that line of thought right now, it's toxic as hell.

Wayfaerer

Oct 26, 2017
Context matters. People read the tweet and expect something with a bit more razzmatazz since 1. That is what Sony did first last time and 2. They have shown barely anything.

If it was going to be a small lecture like presentation, literally Cerny's GDC talk, then they should have explicitly made that clear. It's highly disingenuous to think that people should have expected what was shown. If you think the audience are dumb or sheep for expecting something different, then fair enough, but Sony is the one trying to sell the product to these sheep so the onus lies on them to set the expectations clearly.

This all doesn't matter in the end and personally I'm just going to buy every console that the big 3 put out so it doesn't matter to me, but still I feel compelled to defend EZA for having their gripes.

If people read the tweet then they could have came to the conclusion of what it was going to be. A tech talk. The phrase "Deep dive into PS5's system architecture" should have given that away.

What Sony did the last time with PS4 reveal is not quite the same since they announced the February event with a vague video with a date that doesn't really tell you anything as opposed to the Cerny talk which told you what it was going to be. And yeah, they didn't didn't show much up to that point, but they're showing you now. People wanted to know more about the PS5, so there you go. And if tech breakdown is not what you wanted to hear, that's fine, but saying that they weren't clear enough on what it was going to be, that's where I disagree.