• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
and i already said that's an unacceptable argument. its edge who have earned the merit and attention from people. if they cant stay consistent then their scores hold no merit.
its not that hard to give bad or good scores to any game at all .
you cant go" 9/10 one of the best games ever" and then give its sequel a 6 saying" whoop different reviewer deal with it" when it does most of the exact same things, which for the record isnt in their list of criticisms. that's just confusing, not harsh.
Actually yeah, you can totally do that. Because it makes more sense than telling a reviewer to make shit up.
Seriously, please never try to become a critic of any type. It's definitely not for you.

Can we have a Cory reaction video when it moves to 94?
Cory seems like a cool guy, I could totally see him putting up a joke video if the metacritic falls by a point or two pretending to be heartbroken about it.

Clix

Banned
Where did I say that? I wonder what's their basis for the SOT score in particular, that differs wildly from the general consensus. They certainly do seem to conform with certain Nintendo games though.

Just different opinions. I mean like I said, I would give this game a solid 8 or 8.5. It's really good, but outside the presentation, which the series always does extremely well, the actual gameplay is not blowing my mind. I actually prefer the gameplay mechanics in the previous entries.

Using multiple alt accounts
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portsmouth
and i already said that's an unacceptable argument. its edge who have earned the merit and attention from people. if they cant stay consistent then their scores hold no merit.
you cant go" 9/10 one of the best games ever" and then give its sequel a 6 saying" whoop different reviewer deal with it" when it does most of the exact same things, which for the record isnt in their list of criticisms. that's just confusing, not harsh.
Yes you can, and they did.

Moral Panic

Oct 28, 2017
If you point out there's more than one reviewer, they flip out and tell you all scores from the outlet must be perfectly consistent with each other.

They should otherwise the number is completely meaningless. Saying EDGE gave the game X a 5 should mean that the score is reflective of the values of the magazine/outlet and not the personal opinion of a single reviewer on a single day. That's what gives a magazine prestige and loyalty, the knowledge that you know what to expect from them. You know when it comes to EDGE that 10/10's are rare, this is a feature of the magazine and their values as to how to regard a game to reach that high bar. Obviously no 2 humans can be perfectly consistent, but it should certainly be the goal IMO.

Oct 27, 2017
How would this even work lmao? Like we look at the 10 reviewed games and say "well this game is a 5 so that game is a 7 and if this game is a 7, then that game is a 10. And we're done here folks. Print the magazine!"

Oh not just within the issue. they want them to have the scores be consistent across all of time.

Behold:

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
I was an Edge reader for over 10yrs starting with their first edition with Ridge Racer on the cover. But they've always been pretentious and notorious for giving free hits to their mates in the UK dev industry.

But that was a decade back. These days the publication is hanging on by a thread.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Edge has a lot of weightage on metacritic but for people saying they have the most, there's no proof of that. Metacritic never shares which outlets have more weightage than others so it's something only the owner of that website knows. Polygon, GameSpot and IGN like Edge have a lot of weightage for example but again nobody knows who has the most.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
is it the same reviewer for the listed games?
i know its opinions and all but SOT over far cry 5? from the same reviewer?

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
The reviewer liked Sea of Thieves well-enough and thought Far Cry 5 was slightly above average.
He liked what ? the story ? the gameplay mecanics ? the amount of content ? the gameplay loop ? the post-game content ? the customisation ?

Thanks for answering something i didn't ask i guess .

javac

Oct 28, 2017
That's not how reviews work lmao

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not exactly. The review itself doesn't really complain about the pacing, just about it being way too long (and some other small bits).
For the second bit, sorry I was a bit quick, but here is the opening paragraph:

That's pretty interesting. I wouldn't mind if this game was longer. As in, I don't want this train to end lol. Thankfully there's a tonne of post-game stuff too. But generally, games that have more fledged out upgrade and skill tree systems, coupled with more exploration and side quests facilitating all that, tend to be longer.

It's also interesting the reviewer brought up Resident Evil 4, because God of War's pacing is actually quite similar to RE4's in many ways. The expository moments are never very long in the tooth and are usually fairly quickly interjected with combat or explorative gameplay, and like RE4, the exploration is more meaningful, because most of the stuff you're collecting, breaking and so on, helps towards your build. Think ammo boxes and herbs in RE4 but taken to another level, but without nearly the same amount of inventory management, busywork or repetition as your average RPG.

Sylmaron

Oct 28, 2017
Edge has a lot of weightage on metacritic but for people saying they have the most, there's no proof of that. Metacritic never shares which outlets have more weightage than others so it's something only the owner of that website knows. Polygon, GameSpot and IGN like Edge have a lot of weightage for example but again nobody knows who has the most.
Okay clear enough.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
An 8 was expected for GoW. They really like the game though. Will try to post some bits later when I'm not busy with work.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Getting to see people needing reviews and averages explained to them has been my favorite part of this thread.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
People who are worried about gow dropping to 94, man just chill. There are 6 games below it at 95 so it could drop to 94 but might not as well. And there's like 15-20 reviews more to come in so anything can happen no matter how Edge scores it

Oct 27, 2017
They should otherwise the number is completely meaningless. Saying EDGE gave the game X a 5 should mean that the score is reflective of the values of the magazine/outlet and not the personal opinion of a single reviewer on a single day. That's what gives a magazine prestige and loyalty, the knowledge that you know what to expect from them. You know when it comes to EDGE that 10/10's are rare, this is a feature of the magazine and their values as to how to regard a game to reach that high bar. Obviously no 2 humans can be perfectly consistent, but it should certainly be the goal IMO.

Meanwhile, in reality, it'll never ever work that way.

Reminder that they maintain that prestige despite this exact same "omg edge is inconsistent!" happening just about every month for the past decade+

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Actually yeah, you can totally do that. Because it makes more sense than telling a reviewer to make shit up.
Seriously, please never try to become a critic of any type. It's definitely not for you.

Cory seems like a cool guy, I could totally see him putting up a joke video if the metacritic falls by a point or two pretending to be heartbroken about it.

Thanks for the condescending advice i guess? Do tell more about become a quality reviewer.
Nobody is telling the reviewer to make shit up. But saying for example FC 4 is a 10/10 because one reviewer loves it then giving fc 5 a 0/10 because the other reviewer hates violence is dumb as fuck and makes both the reviews useless.
And off course they can do that, just like i can call them an unreliable review outlet because of it. No need to get your panties in a bunch over it.
Its hilarious because i actually do agree with their low scores most of the time(especially ones like fc or hellblade) , im simply pointing out that they're giving good reason for people to question their reliability. that is all.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017

edit: he's the EDGE editor

'Good' or 'bad' is a subjective term. Now of course Edge's scale is based on 1-10 unlike most other reviewers, but in reality, Metacritic doesn't care about it. So in the end, 8 is very good, but a lot worse than 10 given by nearly everyone else. To their defense, 8 is at least still within reason, at least it's not like 6 or something, that is barely above average.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
The second I saw that this thread was 14 pages long I knew it was because they gave God of War something less than a 9.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing brings the babies out like an EDGE review thread.
The babies come out regardless of who's behind the reviews.

Remember this community going insane over Eurogamer giving Uncharted 3 an 8/10? UC3, which turned out to be a wholly mediocre experience.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
8 is a great score. Also what I would probably give the game at this point. It feels like a great combination of a bunch of other games, but I'm not sure it surpasses any of its inspirations yet for me.

SaucyDancer

Feb 27, 2018
I would say that God of War is an 8 not a 10. Its great but not the generation defining game some critics have hailed it as.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the condescending advice i guess? Do tell more about become a quality reviewer.
Nobody is telling the reviewer to make shit up. But saying for example FC 4 is a 10/10 because one reviewer loves it then giving fc 5 a 0/10 because the other reviewer hates violence is dumb as fuck and makes both the reviews useless.
And off course they can do that, just like i can call them an unreliable review outlet because of it. No need to get your panties in a bunch over it.
Its hilarious because i actually do agree with their low scores most of the time(especially ones like fc or hellblade) , im simply pointing out that they're giving good reason for people to question their reliability. that is all.
It doesn't make the reviews useless, it just means you need to read the reviews.
What is your solution then? Reviewer A reviews a game, gives it a 10/10. Reviewer B reviews its sequel and gives it a 0/10. Do you...not print that review? Go back and get Reviewer A to review it, rehiring them if needed? What if Reviewer A also gives it a 0/10?
You're literally telling people to make shit up because you're suggesting that if a game gets a good review and another reviewer gives the sequel a lesser score they should lie about it and give it a higher score anyway. Because if they don't in your eyes it's a "useless" review.

At the end of the day, you should start reading reviews instead of caring about scores so much and you should stop comparing scores between games because it's a completely pointless thing to do.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I kind of wish I worked at one of these outlets so you guys could see what a low score really is for some games. Like if you're melting down over a 6 for FC5 you might actually die if you saw my score for it.

Oct 27, 2017
Really it's all review threads. It's like being back on Gamefaqs every time.

The babies come out regardless of who's behind the reviews.

Remember this community going insane over Eurogamer giving Uncharted 3 an 8/10? UC3, which turned out to be a wholly mediocre experience.

Yep you're both absolutely right. There are some laughable manchildren within this community.

I remember the uproar about Uncharted 3, then playing it and thinking an 8 was wildly exaggerated.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I think the score I've had the biggest issue with when it comes to Edge is Hellblade. They somehow completely missed the game's intention regarding mental health issues and claimed the devs fumbled in that respect. It was kind of embarrassing, honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.