• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Respect their opinion but having Dark Souls Remastered on the cover is just sad, since it is without a doubt one of the worst remaster this gen and actually look much worse than the original game. It's a fucking disaster.

Even a mega Dark Souls 1 fan like me couldn't be bothered with this horrible abomination. It's straight up sacrilege to me.

Just what the fuck is this shit? It would be literally so much better if you just don't touch anything in the game and simply up the resolution & frame rate since all you do is ruining the art direction and atmosphere for no good reason.

1Zmpaql.jpg

#NotMyDarkSouls

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reminder that EDGE gave Kirby a 7 last month, exactly in line with metacritic.

Nintendo bias proven?

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
I've been reading through the posts here trying to figure out what's the deal, and that's it? 12 (edit: 14) pages because GoW might go from 95 to 94 on metacritic?
Ughh first off what phantom said is not true(edge having most weightage part). Secondly ye people worrying about gow score plus far cry 5 getting a 6 which people think is too low and sot getting a 7 which people think is too high. Perfect recipe for a good long thread.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The babies come out regardless of who's behind the reviews.

Remember this community going insane over Eurogamer giving Uncharted 3 an 8/10? UC3, which turned out to be a wholly mediocre experience.
And thats the thing, after a game has been out for a while, those scores end up being justified to a degree that even if you don't agree, you can at least see where the reviewer arrived at the score.
At the heart of it is just more system warz, list warz bullshit, and the curtain gets pulled back on the people that attach feelings of inadequacy, righteous indignation and tribalism to products. Fanboys are stupid and petty.

Coldman

Oct 25, 2017
small brain: God of War isn't an 8 OMFG!!!!!!

normal brain: huh that Minit score is a surprise

galaxy brain: SCRIBBLENAUTS SHOWDOWN GOTY

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The SOT score does not differ widely from the general consensus FFS.

Context. I think some people are a bit surprised because in that list of scores you have reviews for big games that are notably below the general consensus, and then you have Sea of Thieves which is ever so slightly above the consensus. It's a little surprising, especially for Sea of Thieves of all games. Then again, it was their cover story last issue, plus Rare is a British developer, hence the predictions early on that they might not be as harsh.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
And thats the thing, after a game has been out for a while, those scores end up being justified to a degree that even if you don't agree, you can at least see where the reviewer arrived at the score.
At the heart of it is just more system warz, list warz bullshit, and the curtain gets pulled back on the people that attach feelings of inadequacy, righteous indignation and tribalism to products. Fanboys are stupid and petty.
No lies detected.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I think the score I've had the biggest issue with when it comes to Edge is Hellblade. They somehow completely missed the game's intention regarding mental health issues and claimed the devs fumbled in that respect. It was kind of embarrassing, honestly.

I don't agree with this as I found the actual gameplay horrendously dull, and this shouldn't be ignored just because the game is brave enough to deal with mental health issues.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was there a thread losing its shit that Eurogamer called both SoT and God of War "Recommended"?

Or doesn't that matter because no numbers?

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I think the score I've had the biggest issue with when it comes to Edge is Hellblade. They somehow completely missed the game's intention regarding mental health issues and claimed the devs fumbled in that respect. It was kind of embarrassing, honestly.
How is it embarrassing? I thought their review was spot on, since they talk about how the game isn't in any way compelling to play while also respecting what the game is trying to do.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Context. I think some people are a bit surprised because in that list of scores you have reviews for big games that are notably below the general consensus, and then you have Sea of Thieves which is ever so slightly above the consensus. It's a little surprising, especially for Sea of Thieves of all games. Then again, it was their cover story last issue, plus Rare is a British developer, hence the predictions early on that they might not be as harsh.

So it's a big conspiracy by Edge against God of War. Gotcha.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After read tons of people defending this scores I must say I really dissapointed. Here its not different from neogaf I must say.
People like 'respect their opinion', but ignore everythink else... They can speak many many times about that god of war score (I expected 9, but 8 its a 'fair' score for a superb game), but that Far Cry 5 score its ridiculus and people still defend this? I mean, serious?
Now people defending the game getting warn, and people insulting fans like no end.
This is really a Edge thread after all.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
and i already said that's an unacceptable argument. its edge who have earned the merit and attention from people. if they cant stay consistent then their scores hold no merit.
its not that hard to give bad or good scores to any game at all .
you cant go" 9/10 one of the best games ever" and then give its sequel a 6 saying" whoop different reviewer deal with it" when it does most of the exact same things, which for the record isnt in their list of criticisms. that's just confusing, not harsh.
Oh yeah, can't forget that time Aristotle said "criticals shall make their opinions stay in line with what other people said before" and this is known as a staple for criticism since then.

But no, seriously... What is this post? God.
Literally no critic in any media will ever do this. You don't look at old scores by different people to base your critic or score. You are judging it for yourself.

After read tons of people defending this scores I must say I really dissapointed. Here its not different from neogaf I must say.
People like 'respect their opinion', but ignore everythink else... They can speak many many times about that god of war score (I expected 9, but 8 its a 'fair' score for a superb game), but that Far Cry 5 score its ridiculus and people still defend this? I mean, serious?
Now people defending the game getting warn, and people insulting fans like no end.
Did you read the review?

Using multiple alt accounts
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portsmouth
Was there a thread losing its shit that Eurogamer called both SoT and God of War "Recommended"?

Or doesn't that matter because no numbers?
It's all about the numbers.

Yea I'll defend the reviewers right to score the game how they want lmao.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You're literally telling people to make shit up because you're suggesting that if a game gets a good review and another reviewer gives the sequel a lesser score they should lie about it and give it a higher score anyway. Because if they don't in your eyes it's a "useless" review.
Again no im not
Im saying explain why the last game was a 9 and what makes this a 6 IN COMPARISON TO THAT. Not make the 6 a 9 because the last one was too. If youre dropping the score so much for a mostly identical game then context must be brought forward directly in comparison.
My solution is for them to dedicate a para on why theres such a downgrade over fc 4 other than just whoop shit im a different person.
Im not arguing about any score in particular, im not surprised by the 8 gow got nor am i surprised by the sot score.
My take on them has always been that they prefer games with that put their gameplay mechanics over everything else and their biases only extend to that bit. not to nintendo or european devs.

But nobody owes them this understanding and when they give out snobby tweets insinuating that everyone puzzled over their 1 point gap between gow and sot which has a 35 or so point gap on mc is an idiot , thats when they come off as overly pretentious and not deserving of the merit. I mean, just be mature and explain yourself in 3 or 4 lines if internet buffoonery is bothering you instead of reciprocating that.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
What were their score for Hellblade?
I'm playing through it now, Xbox One X enhanced, I would gladly without hesitation give it 9/10 even as a 2018 release (I'm doing the challenges around the tree now).
I'm legit shocked at how great it is considering their budget and all that, might become my Xbox game of the year unless something better comes out later. The sound alone is worth 10/10, I haven't got this nervous from listening to a game since Silent Hill 2, which I had to stop playing because I was a nerve wreck after each play session lol

weltalldx

Feb 23, 2018
I think Edge is one of the last non-bias/non-compromised review outlets remaining. Their reviews usually withstand the test of time and often offer great foresight and hindsight once the honeymoon period for a flavor of the moment hype dies off.

From what I see of the new God of War game, there are simply too much faults to warrant a score higher than 9.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Guys obviously EDGE thought Bloodborne and TLOU were Nintendo games, hence the 10s. Duh.

lol

Seriously though, as much as I'm enjoying and loving GOW I wouldn't say 8/10 is a bad score, in the history of all video games ever made that might just be where it's at...I mean we are talking about comparing to timeless masterpiece like Half-Life 2, Deus Ex, System Shock 2, MGS3, Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Shadow of the Colossus, half of the Zelda games, TLoU, Resident Evil Remake, Resident Evil 2, Silent Hill 2, Final Fantasy VII etc...

8/10 seems harsh but it's by no means OFF. If anything it should've been 8.5 or 9.

Still I am absolutely loving the game so far and I love just how much FromSoftware design is in this game. This might just be my favorite God Of War game.

Last edited:

the_kaotek1

Oct 25, 2017
I used to read Edge religiously, I still have issue 1 stored away somewhere. They have a history of under-scoring games (Goldeneye and GTA3 immediately spring to mind) and even had a retrospective covering the games that should have got tens but didn't for whatever reason.

Haven't read them for years but I imagine they have an uphill battle competing with online media these days.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Which makes SoT pretty damn close to a pretty good game. If EDGE says it then it must be true.

According to Edge's grading, SoT isn't just close to good, it's 'distinguished' and God of War isn't just very good, it's 'excellent'.

9 is 'astounding' and 10 is 'revolutionary'.

The issue with assigning such short descriptors to the numbers however is consistency with past reviews, eg of Edge's 10/10 reviews, I'm not sure many would refer to GTA IV, Bayonetta 2, Rock Band 3, Zelda Skyward Sword, Halo 3, Bloodborne etc as 'revolutionary'.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I don't agree with this as I found the actual gameplay horrendously dull, and this shouldn't be ignored just because the game is brave enough to deal with mental health issues.
How is it embarrassing? I thought their review was spot on, since they talk about how the game isn't in any way compelling to play while also respecting what the game is trying to do.

"Ultimately what was intended as a thoughtful depiction of a terrible mental illness has ended up casting it as something of an asset: a helpful superpower that can give you the strength to soldier on through the darkness, so long as you can put up with the odd breakdown here and there. That, we suspect, was not what Ninja Theory intended. It's certainly not what we had hoped for. "

I'm sorry, but that's not what I got out of the game at all. I don't know how they arrived at this conclusion.

What were their score for Hellblade?
I'm playing through it now, Xbox One X enhanced, I would gladly without hesitation give it 9/10 even as a 2018 release (I'm doing the challenges around the tree now).
I'm legit shocked at how great it is considering their budget and all that, might become my Xbox game of the year unless something better comes out later. The sound alone is worth 10/10, I haven't got this nervous from listening to a game since Silent Hill 2, which I had to stop playing because I was a nerve wreck after each play session lol

4/10

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
According to Edge's grading, SoT isn't just close to good, it's 'distinguished' and God of War isn't just very good, it's 'excellent'.

9 is 'astounding' and 10 is 'revolutionary'.

The issue with assigning such short descriptors to the numbers however is consistency with past reviews, eg of Edge's 10/10 reviews, I'm not sure many would refer to GTA IV, Bayonetta 2, Rock Band 3, Zelda Skyward Sword, Halo 3, Bloodborne etc as 'revolutionary'.
Edge said 10 for them is revolutionary?

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you point out there's more than one reviewer, they flip out and tell you all scores from the outlet must be perfectly consistent with each other.
Yeah... the amount of people not getting the GoW, Far Cry and SoT reviews most likely aren't from the same person is what what gets me. So many people...
Standard edge garbage. Need that attention.
And if the scores aligned with your view it suddenly wouldn't be "standard edge garbage" anymore?
I don't think we are at that fase yet.
That meltdown manage to get classic status.
I wonder how many people that are angry at the GoW 8 told everyone that 7/10 for BotW is a good score lol. There must be some overlapping.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Again no im not
Im saying explain why the last game was a 9 and what makes this a 6 IN COMPARISON TO THAT. Not make the 6 a 9 because the last one was too. If youre dropping the score so much for a mostly identical game then context must be brought forward directly in comparison.
My solution is for them to dedicate a para on why theres such a downgrade over fc 4 other than just whoop shit im a different person.
Im not arguing about any score in particular, im not surprised by the 8 gow got nor am i surprised by the sot score.
My take on them has always been that they prefer games with that put their gameplay mechanics over everything else and their biases only extend to that bit. not to nintendo or european devs.

But nobody owes them this understanding and when they give out snobby tweets insinuating that everyone puzzled over their 1 point gap between gow and sot which has a 35 or so point gap on mc is an idiot , thats when they come off as overly pretentious and not deserving of the merit. I mean, just be mature and explain yourself in 3 or 4 lines if internet buffoonery is bothering you instead of reciprocating that.
Jesus man, you need to calm down a bit. It's just review scores.

Your idea wouldn't work because it requires a critic to have played the previous games which in the case of something like Far Cry where none of the games are connected is a completely unnecessary waste of their time. If they have they can do that (and I haven't read the review, did they not do this?) but regardless it wouldn't actually help your issue here.
The issue you have with their review score is it's lower than FC4's, despite the fact you think it's a better game. Your idea of "they should put in a paragraph saying why FC5 is a downgrade over 4" only works if they reviewer thinks it is a downgrade. Is the reviewer of FC5 the same one as FC4? If not, did this reviewer ever review FC4? what if they also didn't like FC4 very much?

People who are puzzled about their 1 point gap compared to the 35 MC gap are idiots. That's not how review scores work. That's not how opinions work. Just because there are numbers there doesn't mean you can compare them directly and go "oh shit this maths doesn't add up." It's not pretentious to point that out.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You guys are putting much enfort in God of War and ignoring the Far Cry 5 review. FC5 is a far better game than FC4, but hey lets focus on that gow score fanboys war.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Well if you're on the side of people like The New Beginning with that part I don't know what to tell ya.

People are getting warned/banned ITT for being console warriors as per usual, not for 'defending the game'.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
People are mostly complaining because of the 7 Sea of Thieves got, compared to the many other games in the list.

If Sea of Thieves would have gotten a 5, I'm sure there wouldn't be these many responses against the results.

Personally I haven't played SoT so I can't really tell, but I am loving GoW so far, so that game is still a 10 for me.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Agree with their score for GOW.
Game is good but nothing stellar and takes a lot of control away from the player which one might like or not like.

Taking control away from the player? You playing enjoy story difficulty then? Cause playing on hard, pushes reflexes and skill to the max, you need total control.

Oct 29, 2017
Four hours into GoW, I agree with the eight and the criticism that it already has pacing problems. However, I still feel like there are a lot of big things still going to happen, so I'm reserving my judgment. A six for Far Cry 5 given the review snippet seems totally fair too. And is in line with Polygon, Giant Bomb, Eurogamer, heck better than what Waypoint thought of it. No idea why either should be seen as shocking. Interested in the review of Sea of Thieves though.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So it's a big conspiracy by Edge against God of War. Gotcha.

Where did I even remotely say that? Lol.

Sea of Thieves review score being the only game on the list with a score above the meta average, the others being mostly notably below = conspiracy against God of War? That's how you decided to take that? Lol.

Apr 10, 2018
User warned: attempt to discredit outlet
EDGE proving yet again what a joke this magazine is. People should've stopped giving them this much attention a long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.