• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
Context. I think some people are a bit surprised because in that list of scores you have reviews for big games that are notably below the general consensus, and then you have Sea of Thieves which is ever so slightly above the consensus. It's a little surprising, especially for Sea of Thieves of all games. Then again, it was their cover story last issue, plus Rare is a British developer, hence the predictions early on that they might not be as harsh.
This has been Edge for their entire existence.

I can pretty much write their Dreams review now.......followed by a score of 10. And don't get me wrong, I think it will be excellent. I'm looking forward to it.

But you know what your getting from them. Genuinely excellent games get eye openingly low scores (Far Cry 5), while titles that can only aspire to mediocrity and are deeply flawed, SoT, sail off with a 7.

Last edited:

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
It's not about GoW being 8/10 (whatever, their opinion and a very good score for any game), but when Sea of Thieves is 7/10... you gotta ask yourself about the criteria here? 7/10 for an empty, potentially interesting albeit visually arresting game... vs. AAA title with an insane amount of details on pretty much every front (gameplay, world building, questing, narrative etc.)

I'm checking out man.
Should probably read the review I guess. It's almost like a score doesn't actually tell you anything about the game or the reviewer's opinion of it.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Y'all really surprised a half-baked installment of a series notorious for not living up to the potential it sells itself as got a lower score than something has has a clear idea on what kind of game it should be?

For real?

Shit I'd argue the Far Cry 5 score is too high. Yet another open world romp across a beautiful and unique locale just isn't doing anything for that series anymore when the gameplay is just as boring and by the numbers as it's predocessors.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Its all in the context. The UK game magazine giving the one UK developed game that 95% of other reviews claimed to be an unfinished no content having mediocre experience a mere point below the highest rated non UK developed game of the year where 95% of other reviews gave it 9 and 10's and even other better reviewed games like FC5 and A way out 1 point lower than said critically mediocre UK developed game screams of bias no matter how you sugar coat it.

Last edited:

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all really surprised a half-baked installment of a series notorious for not living up to the potential it sells itself as got a lower score than something has has a clear idea on what kind of game it should be?

For real?
Scribblenauts and Detective Pikachu?

Its all in the context. The UK game magazine giving the one UK developed game that 95% of other reviews claimed to be an unfinished no content having mediocre experience a mere point below of the highest rated non UK developed game of the year where 95% of other reviews gave it 9 and 10's and even other better reviewed games like FC5 and A way out 1 point lower than said critically mediocre UK developed game screams of bias no matter how you sugar coat it.

All that context tells us is that the SoT reviewers liked the game. Normal people don't jump to conspiracy theories.

Oct 27, 2017
Which part of their reviews do you have an issue with?
They are often contrarian for contrarian's sake. It's been an issue with them for many years now. They also have a history of giving inflated scores to games they secure exclusive review rights to.

As a full disclosure, I haven't played God of War yet but seeing the game receive unanimous 9's and 10's and then seeing Edge pop up with an 8 made me roll my eyes as it's such an Edge thing to do.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Can someone post the Edge review or that's not allowed?
Scans are not allowed, but multiple extracts and summaries have been posted in this thread already.
Why not? Here its not about comparing games?

Because, you know, I have fun playing Sonic 2006, but don't make Sonic 2006 a good game.

But hey, if SoT get 7 and FC5 get a 6 so... Naw forget.
Sonic 06 is a fundamentally broken game. That's like saying "hey I have fun with Big Rigs, u mad?".
SoT's issue is a huge lack of content, not a design/polish/fun issue.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are often contrarian for contrarian's sake. It's been an issue with them for many years now. They also have a history of giving inflated scores to games they secure exclusive review rights to.

As a full disclosure, I haven't played God of War yet but seeing the game receive unanimous 9's and 10's and then seeing Edge pop up with an 8 made me roll my eyes as it's such an Edge thing to do.
It's such an Edge thing to do that everyone predicted it would happen already. Edge scores are never surprising, they have certain types of games from certain developers they love. It's why I don't find their reviews helpful, they're often reviewing the developers not the game.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017

Do you have some actual examples though? I've never found that with their reviews personally, they usually justify their scores pretty well.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Its all in the context. The UK game magazine giving the one UK developed game that 95% of other reviews claimed to be an unfinished no content having mediocre experience a mere point below of the highest rated non UK developed game of the year where 95% of other reviews gave it 9 and 10's and even other better reviewed games like FC5 and A way out 1 point lower than said critically mediocre UK developed game screams of bias no matter how you sugar coat it.
It's already been shown multiple times in this thread that Edge doesn't care about if a dev is british or not for a review score.
On top of that, SoT's score is in line with the metacritic average of 69. Is it so hard for some here to get that SoT isn't a bad game, and that 8/10 is still a really good score?

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh what shock horror, someone else replied to my comment on a public messaging board. Jesus you are sensitive..

Please try to see to whom my post was directed to.

I am not questioning any one opinion who have played the game.

I am questioning someone who is saying that this review is right

How can anyone who has not played the game , say which review is right and which is wrong

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's such an Edge thing to do that everyone predicted it would happen already. Edge scores are never surprising, they have certain types of games from certain developers they love. It's why I don't find their reviews helpful, they're often reviewing the developers not the game.
Lmao now it's Edge is reviewing the developers and not the games.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So you have no answer and basically asks every reviewer to review exactly like the others, otherwise they're contrarians.

Good thing none of you are directors of press outlets, the industry would be entirely composed of IGN clones.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
At the end of the day all that matters is what I think and what you think in regards to the games we play.

For me, GOW thus far has been a seismic event and one of the best games of this generation.

I have also enjoyed the hell out of FC5 and no score is going to change that.

Malek

Feb 15, 2018
I love how the complain about the game being too long lol!
How dare you SSM give me so much content for only 60$! you're making other games look bad wtf

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scans are not allowed, but multiple extracts and summaries have been posted in this thread already.

Sonic 06 is a fundamentally broken game. That's like saying "hey I have fun with Big Rigs, u mad?".
SoT's issue is a huge lack of content, not a design/polish/fun issue.
So what are you saying? Lack of content not affect the score? Its that your mensage?
Or just bugs/broken games deserves less score?
Pick one. Mass Effect Andromeda in the same boat.

Abdulrahman

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think people is mad because GOW got an 8 (well maybe some of them).

The issue here is that, according to EDGE, Sea of Thieves is a better game than A Way Out and Far Cry 5, and at the same time it is only one point away from GOW. Just think about that last part for a second.
I was going to say that. SoT is too shallow to earn a 7.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

The issue here is that, according to EDGE, Sea of Thieves is a better game than A Way Out and Far Cry 5, and at the same time it is only one point away from GOW. Just think about that last part for a second.

It is rather surprising when you think about it. Essentially according the the editors in question, a game with barely any actual content, a complete lack of mission, enemy and gameplay variety/diversity, a lack of competent combat, gunplay and so on, versus other games that are actually fairly to highly accomplished in those areas, as well as in narrative, set pieces and so on, are either fairly similarly or more harshly graded.

The SoT review in comparison to the others I think will be a more contentious subject than the God of War review. It would have been really interesting to read each review and see the justifications and reasons, and I wish their reviews were still online.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

For real?

Shit I'd argue the Far Cry 5 score is too high. Yet another open world romp across a beautiful and unique locale just isn't doing anything for that series anymore when the gameplay is just as boring and by the numbers as it's predocessors.

Fucking hell, you really don't like open world games ;).

But I agree with you.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Its all in the context. The UK game magazine giving the one UK developed game that 95% of other reviews claimed to be an unfinished no content having mediocre experience a mere point below the highest rated non UK developed game of the year where 95% of other reviews gave it 9 and 10's and even other better reviewed games like FC5 and A way out 1 point lower than said critically mediocre UK developed game screams of bias no matter how you sugar coat it.

It scores 69 on metacrtic. Which means 7 is virtually its average score across reviews.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Godfather: 8/10
Pirates of The Carribean: On Stranger Tides: 7/10

It's all about the context. We're not talking about the text within said reviews here, clearly because how many of us have actually red the latest issue? So, please, stop with the condescention.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can agree with the 8/10 to an extent. I'm a few hours into GoW and I love it, but it does some stuff (especially in the gameplay / controls) that drive me crazy but I'm adapting. If by the end of the game I still have an issue with the controls and second to second gameplay, I couldn't give it a 9/10 or 10/10 despite how amazing the atmosphere, setting, writing, graphics, and story is.

mejin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually surprised Edge didn't fucked even more. I was expecting a 7 from them. GoW dodged a bullet here.

ashep

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Holy shit. I never considered the implications of it being JUST ONE POINT AWAY!!

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's already been shown multiple times in this thread that Edge doesn't care about if a dev is british or not for a review score.
On top of that, SoT's score is in line with the metacritic average of 69. Is it so hard for some here to get that SoT isn't a bad game, and that 8/10 is still a really good score?
it really hasnt been proven because the narrative shift's to "(all of)edge isnt biased" when someone questions the uk thing, and goes back to "but edge isnt a person and they dont need to be consistent " when its about game scores.
and its not in line with the average because people also conveniently ignore the argument that edge scores much lower than average when it comes to Sot(which is objectively true)
so much dissonance . cant have it both ways.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
it really hasnt been proven because the narrative shift's to "(all of)edge isnt biased" when someone questions the uk thing, and goes back to "but edge isnt a person and they dont need to be consistent " when its about game scores.
and its not in line with the average because people also conveniently ignore the argument that edge scores much lower than average when it comes to Sot(which is objectively true)
so much dissonance . cant have it both ways.

Your conspiracy theories are kinda funny, but I hope you aren't serious about them. Why do you think the SoT reviewer is bias? can you show some evidence for your claims?
People ignore the "Edge score lower than average" argument because it's only true on a case by case basis and not really a good argument.

The Godfather: 8/10
Pirates of The Carribean: On Stranger Tides: 7/10

It's all about the context. We're not talking about the text within said reviews here, clearly because how many of us have actually red the latest issue? So, please, stop with the condescention.
People are being condescending because you're attempting to do something fundamentally flawed, comparing review scores of games. If you read the reviews they tell you why those games got those scores. That's the point.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
As much as I like Edge, their review mentality sometimes feels like a deliberate push against the current.

That's because it definitely is:

Qa7oVTi.png

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People are being condescending because you're attempting to do something fundamentally flawed, comparing review scores of games. If you read the reviews they tell you why those games got those scores. That's the point.
then what is this thread for? neither sides can make a sound argument without the review , agree or disagree .

Status
Not open for further replies.