• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Received Edge today, I agree with most of the reviews.
Good arguments for each score, and for those mad about GoW's score for some reason (the review is certainly not saying it's a bad game, what a weird way of looking at an 8), it's followed by a page about "How God of War (nearly) solves the modern action game's biggest problem" (variety and pacing).

Most people who knee-jerk react to a solitary number pinned to a game are never going to read the Edge reviews and probably don't even care to. It's a shame because the reviews are aimed squarely at an adult readership and generally give good arguments to back up the final score given.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God of War - slightly too long and begins to feel overstretched, issues with pacing. Best looking game on PS4. Exilharating game. Review is mainly very positive.
This right here is extremely interesting. Because a lot of people won't buy a "short" linear game, games like Uncharted/TLOU/God of War have basically pushed the length beyond what is necessary to tell the story. Old God of War games were 8-10 hours, basically. That's not long enough for a lot of people. They need 15-20 hours minimum or the game is "wait for a sale" material.

The problem is that this does affect pacing. Games should be as long as their stories necessitate them being. God of War is seemingly long for the sake of being long, to an extent. And we're gonna see more of this as devs stretch out linear games to avoid the "only 6-10 hours long" stigma.

CozMick

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Edge, so edgy.

So they scoring games on the amount of time it takes you to see everything now?

Deleted member 8112

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If Full scale means giving it almost the same score than previous entrys although the new one is objectivley the best one, yeaa sure
Yes, journalists can make no mistake and must be absolutely objective as to not tarnish the score of my favorite game. How dare they not take into account scores and reviews from over 10 years prior possibly written by different people?

visvim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
barlog.jpg

Nov 14, 2017
8 is a good score. If GB had only given it 4 stars, nobody would have complained and that's the same as an 8 as far as Metacritic goes. Still looks like a good game that I'm looking forward to getting!

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Far Cry 5 and A Way Out sharing the same score is bonkers. From some reviews A Way Out barely even plays like a game, and the story is insultingly dumb, at least Far Cry 5 seems more of a game in comparison surely.

Lain

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God of war - 8

Sea of thieves - 7

Oh boy, the shit storm is comin

In general though, all of those scores are pretty insane, wtf is with edge's scoring criteria

A way out and FC5 are def not 6's at all
To you, not to the person who reviewed and scored them.

Reviews are subjective and scores reflect that subjective opinion. Without the text, a review score means nothing.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
What did they say about SoT?
Genuine sense of adventure and making friends, "more D&D than Destiny", but potential unfulfilled, lack of content, missing basic structures compelling to come back.
What was their argument regarding FC5?
Tons of design issues, poor writing, "never quite the game you hope it will become".
I'm going to have to pick this issue up then, as if the cover didn't sell me enough. My 3-4 hours with God of War so far have got me thinking that I can agree with the premise of that article.
Yeah, their review is pretty close to a 9. They mostly argue about how the game is too long and would have gained to be spread less thinly.

Gurish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
If Full scale means giving it almost the same score than previous entrys although the new one is objectivley the best one, yeaa sure

I do agree that it is by far the best in the series but maybe standards today are higher and an old GOW entry would get today a 5 or a 6 from them, who knows?

Still doesn't explain how SoT at its current state is worth a 7 though, that's not using the full scale that's for sure, not when SoTs MC, which is full with tons of critics using the 7-10 scale, is lower than their score.

CozMick

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It aint the 8 that is upsetting people, its the 1 point more than the "gaas without the service" game, that has less content than a free mobile game

Rave_norris

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
But really, i cant see how someone doesnt think this is one of the best games of the generation. Played for around 10 hours, and it is better than HZD and uncharted 4 for sure, and i really liked those games. For now with bloodborne and MGS V as the best games of the ps4.

Opinions, i guess.

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Would this have happened if their review came out along with all the others? It seems like it's getting all this attention because DAT 95 THO XD

Oct 25, 2017
...In what universe is an 8 a bad score? What the hell is wrong with some of you people, holy shit? XD

All of these scores are par for the course with Edge. The only real outlier here is Sea of Thieves getting an exceedingly high rating from them for some reason. Then again, a review score is just a subjective take of one person's experience with a game, so some weirdo might have had a 10/10 vibe from Sea of Thieves, what do I know?

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But really, i cant see how someone doesnt think this is one of the best games of the generation. Played for around 10 hours, and it is better than HZD and uncharted 4 for sure, and i really liked those games. For now with bloodborne and MGS V as the best games of the ps4.

Opinions, i guess.
Yup, the answer was in your post all along.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
What do they say about sea of thieves?
See my previous post for it. It's a one page review, followed by a post script.
Most people who knee-jerk react to a solitary number pinned to a game are never going to read the Edge reviews and probably don't even care to. It's a shame because the reviews are aimed squarely at an adult readership and generally give good arguments to back up the final score given.
Yeah. I stopped reading Edge for a year or so at some point when they lost a bit focus in terms of content, but their reviews have always been really well written. It doesn't help when people put so much importance over their 10s.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
8 is a fine score. The author is entitled to have his/her opinion to that. If you don't agree that's fine too.

I don't agree with it, I personally do think it's better than botw which they scored a 10, for several reasons but whatever.

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
Are people seriously concerned that a game might drop from a 95 MC score to 94?

Take a trip to the review thread. Pages of people concerned about it dropping a single percentage point.

Edge just touches on the points now that others realise six months down the line.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
To you, not to the person who reviewed and scored them.

Reviews are subjective and scores reflect that subjective opinion. Without the text, a review score means nothing.

true, but if a reviewer give a game a 1 or a 2 out of 10 just as an example, you expect something from that score. At some point the logic of subjectivity becomes unsaleable

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So far in this thread, we've had comparisons to Nintendo, Odyssey, and now BotW (surprised that last one took so long to come up) been made, out of absolutely nowhere on the basis of absolutely nothing.

How interesting.

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
A Way Out's writing is pathetically bad and it has basically every trope you can imagine in a game like this. It's mediocre through and through.

Also, the acting is bad.
That's not a negative in my book . A Way out was exactly what i expected going in and was backed by solid tech , great direction and good co-op gameplay ( especially since i played it over the internet with a friend copy ). I still think the score is too low for what they set out to do and what they managed to do.
And no the acting's not bad. ( yes i'm aware that it's my own opinion but still )

Status
Not open for further replies.