• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Salex

Oct 26, 2017
Sea of Thieves score is uhhh....strange. I was expecting something lower considering EDGE's reputation. Did anyone read the review yet?

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of course, I never care about scores anyways. Its just funny how EDGE always likes to play the "Im not like everyone" role so hard

Weird they weren't like that when everyone was giving SMO and BotW 10s and they just jumped on the bandwagon too. Very selective, these folk.

Stilton Disco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
God of War is the lowest I was expecting without being obviously ridiculous. They are renowned for being unreasonably hard to please after all.

...which of course makes the Sea of Thieves score actually bafflingly high. That's a really uncharacteristically generous score for a game with such little content and such simplistic, shallow goals.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Yeah, they use the whole scale. I just think it's also best to read the actual review, which I suppose is beyond the purview of this thread since it's about the actual scores. I mean, 5 is basically average and there's nothing terrible or trashy about being an everage game, it depends on expectations of a series. 6 is above average so that's better.

In addition, I assume all these reviews aren't from the same reviewer? Not sure how Edge works in that sense. That might explain the high score of Sea of Thieves, but it really would help if there were some excerpts of the reviews to read.

i wonder when the reviews themselves come out, i dont have access to the mag being not in the right country so i hope they are published somewhere

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I can understand someone giving God of War an 8.

But Sea of Thieves a 7? That's laughable.

Far Cry 5 a 6 is the worst of the lot though, game is far and beyond a 6.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
This is going to be one of those threads, is it not?

Those are good scores, folks, and people are allowed to have different opinions.

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the Metascore is 95 or higher a week after embargo lifts, Nintendo has to wear an avatar of my choosing for a week. If it's 94 or lower, I have to wear one of his choosing. Nintendo requested we extend the deadline to until the EDGE review was out, which we did, but I still won :P
The score is not on MC yet...I wouldn't be so sure if I were you. It will be rather close.

Enazrat

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
But anyway commenting on the score without having the review to read is basically pointless.
Who knows the points they raised and how one could possibly discredit them or agree with them without this knowledge remain to be answered.
The core principle of the thread is kinda wrong.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Far Cry 5 comments - A game that frequently almost but never quite becomes the game you hope it will become. Too stressful to be enjoyable, story too dumb to be taken seriously, world too dangerous to safely explore, you fill a progress bar by blowing up and killing the same things you've been killing for past 20 hours. Game shows how emergent systems are all well and good but need a good designer to use them well. Technical issues - audio all over the place, especially dialogue. They tested Xbox One version.

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So they think Horizon Zero Dawn is better than God of War? I love HZD but...

KwBJveH.gif

Oct 25, 2017
God of war I totally understand, a way out I get too it was a lil divisive. Sea of thieves and far cry is where I scratch my head

Gurish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
People are going to get mad about the 8, aren't they

Also Nintendo get in here. I won. Now I get to choose your avy :P

Didn't you say the MC will be 95? if so than you lost, this review is going drop the score.

I blame it on the Digital Spy review that gave the game a 4 out of 5 even though they said it's one of the greatest Sony exclusives of all time, GOTY material etc

It read like a 5/5 but the guy gave it a 4. If that score was representative of the text than EDGE review wouldn't drop the score now.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, that's true. Unless it's a Nintendo game. Oddyssey that looks and plays like a budget title compared to the Galaxy series got a 10. Lmao

I remember when I first saw your comments here and you insisted you were not too invested in your favourite corporation. That has seemingly slipped a mite here. It's just an opinion man...

Oct 27, 2017
Far Cry 5 comments - A game that frequently almost but never quite becomes the game you hope it will become. Too stressful to be enjoyable, story too dumb to be taken seriously, world too dangerous to safely explore, you fill a progress bar by blowing up and killing the same things you've been killing for past 20 hours. Game shows how emergent systems are all well and good but need a good designer to use them well. Technical issues - audio all over the place, especially dialogue. They tested Xbox One version.

That completely justifies their score. Good basic systems but bad execution. People really need to learn that reviews are opinions.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lol at complaining about people not reading the reviews before complaining about the scores. I'm not paying them $9. I don't see them having a valid reason for that Sea of Thieves score.

Using multiple alt accounts
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portsmouth
The one outlet that uses their review scale properly & doesn't get caught up in launch hype gets shit on, what a surprise.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
A 7 for SoT is more surprising than an 8 for GoW.

I think that's a perfectly fair score for Sea of Thieves, and that's what I'd give it right now. It's a game with a great base, but at this moment it's lacking things to take it further. The drip of new features and content is supposed to start next month, however.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I'm totally okay with the 8 for God of War.

What really baffles me is the 7 for Sea of Thieves! But opinions and all. I'm sure the one who reviewed it really enjoyed the game for what it was. So who am I ton question his viewpoints? I will definitely read the magazine to see what they say about SoT though.

Status
Not open for further replies.