• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Then they need to keep doing it. Just because everyone else has an awful grasp on a number scale doesn't mean EDGE needs to adopt it. Christ, 8/10 is 4 stars out of 5. The fact people see that as a negative is hilarious.

i mean, no matter what they do it wont change the perception, but its good to have context when reading their reviews regarding how they scale games.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
the issue is that its out of step with the rest of the industry that unfortunately DOESNT use the full scale for rating games, in most cases everything below a 7 these days is shit according to most 'journalistic sources'

only Joe and now edge i've known to use the whole scale in terms of reviews
I don't see this as an issue, actually. I think that Metacritic and other aggregates have done a lot of damage to the value of individual reviewers. I much prefer doing some shopping around and finding a few critics with tastes that generally align with yours and looking to them for their thoughts on games instead of looking at some monolithic MC number that lacks any context. If EDGE is going against the grain and using their own scale for reviews, that just encourages you to actually read them and dissect their thoughts on the game in proper context.

Deleted member 21

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Let's tone down the embarrassing hyperbole reactions to a great review score - especially when the game is already available and can be considered critically acclaimed going by the dozens of other reviews.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
Yeah. Especially when there's 2 games rated 3 in this issue...

I'm not sure what is a joke comment or not at this point in this thread lol
In some respects Switch is right because you guys give so much power to that Edge review. It's kind of ridiculous and you know that Edge is quite aware of much people anticipate it.

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
An eight is fine. That's a 4/5, which remains a stellar game in most opinions. I'm playing GoW now and there are the usual sections (as in UC or any grand action spectacle) where the pacing is off or it's pure gaminess without the cinematic hook. So I understand the score.

That 7 for SoT, which was basically launched in alpha state is baffling though. I played it on PC for one gruelling hour of complete unfunness. Opinions though. No one is expected to share mine and Edge certainly didn't.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
EDGE is probably the only publication that has a scale that makes sense and it's not 7 to 10 and people riot.

*shrug*

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
I think edge is part of a minority of reviewers where they actually use the ten point review scale correctly. 8/10 from them is a good score, just compared to other reviewers it looks not great

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
In some respects Switch is right because you guys give so much power to that Edge review. It's kind of ridiculous and you know that Edge is quite aware of much people anticipate it.
I assure you that EDGE doesn't give a fuck what internet forums think of their review scores. It's a gaming magazine with a more niche, specialized audience. We don't buy magazines. We get mad at "please disable adblocker" pop-ups.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This thread is embarrassing. It's funny when these same characters that are moaning now are the ones to come into threads like the Dark Souls delayed thread and complain about how awful Nintendo fans are. Guys, take a look in the mirror. This is EMBARRASSING!

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I don't see this as an issue, actually. I think that Metacritic and other aggregates have done a lot of damage to the value of individual reviewers. I much prefer doing some shopping around and finding a few critics with tastes that generally align with yours and looking to them for their thoughts on games instead of looking at some monolithic MC number that lacks any context. If EDGE is going against the grain and using their own scale for reviews, that just encourages you to actually read them and dissect their thoughts on the game in proper context.

I meant "issue" in that its the reason for some people unable to reconcile it with other reviews, not that its inherently a problem.

And that's how games used to be reviewed before aggregate scores. But as they became concentrated for users to just go to an easy overall number and collection of websites, that is how the perception changed into putting all the weight into that number. Basically like rotten tomatoes.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
Edge has the most well-argumented and consistently well-written reviews in the business.

Don't make a fool of yourself, and read the magazine before bashing it.

Also, the whole 'but they gave game X an X, therefore Y' is tired, lazy and sad. Don't be that person.

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
The fact they scored Sea of Thieves higher than FC5 and A Way Out is absurd to me, those are both games that have a hell of a lot more gameplay to them than Sea of Thieves.

I don't know about a way out, but FC5's gameplay wasn't very good. It was also rather unpolished in my experience.

Sot has good core gameplay, and seems more polished, there is just a lack of variation currently.

That might explain the difference, also EDGE has several reviewers, and they don't have to judge a game the same way.

All credit to the people making both games, there is a lot to like in both, and I'm sure they all worked hard.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I thought Edge would be the first publication to give GoW a mixed review, glad I was wrong.

That makes it 97 positive (green) reviews on Meta.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Will it drop to 94? I hope everyone can just chill and enjoy this awesome game

I also think a 7 for sea of thieves is fine

Raylan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Member has been warned: attempt to discredit outlet by accusing them of bias.
Yes, that's Edge. Too bad Far Cry isn't from a british dev. The game would have received at least a 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.