• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
I've always thought the old God of Wars were massively overrated by mainstream media outlets.

They definitely are. They were 100% all style and zero substance, all glued together with awful stories, cutscenes and characters. Like, if it wasn't for the setpieces where you have almost zero input or the extreme violence, no one would have given a shit. But they are definitely guilty pleasures, and I enjoyed my time with them.

That said, this game is apparently completely different so I don't think it's fair to compare how they are being treated by the critics.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's stupid to specify one particular fandom, whichever it may be, when this apparent difficulty to deal with scores is something that happens across the board with every single hyped game. But maybe that's just me.
But, again, every single fandom is singled out in instances like this. It's a part of the normal discourse cycle for a game.

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
8 is a great score, but it only shows why opencritic is much better than metacritic as far as a review aggregator. Giving more weight to certain review outlets doesn't make any sense. Especially when individual reviewers tend to come and go.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
The reaction to Thieves getting a 7 is crazy when the metacritic score is 69, so essentially most critics have given it a 7.

I think it's a fair score, the lack of content doesn't take away the fact it's a very enjoyable game to play with friends.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
They definitely are. They were 100% all style and zero substance, all glued together with awful stories, cutscenes and characters. Like, if it wasn't for the setpieces where you have almost zero input or the extreme violence, no one would have given a shit. But they are definitely guilty pleasures, and I enjoyed my time with them.

That said, this game is apparently completely different so I don't think it's fair to compare how they are being treated by the critics.

I mean, that's completely subjective as well based on who is playing and what their standards are. So while it seems obvious to not have to preface it with 'in my opinion', i can't really agree. the only games are mechanically sound, epic set piece driven action games with a B list plot that serves its purpose. If you put all your weight on the story and characters, sure, but old GOW wasnt really respected on those merits to begin with, even by those who rated them highly

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Except when it comes to Nintendo games...

Its a great score for sure, it just seems that they prefer certain pubs/devs.

Excellent, the ability some folks have to bring up Nintendo and their games into a thread and discussion that has absolutely fuck all to do with them never ceases to amaze me. It's especially funny in this case because the OP has a Nintendo game that was scored far lower than average. But let's not let that get in the way of the narrative.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What does this mean for the Meta?

This essentially kills the 96 dream. What of the 95?

Lol, some of you be like:

xAL4XRR.jpg

Last edited:

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
A Way Out and Far Cry 5 scored lower than Sea of Theives. Well, looks like they don't align to my tastes anymore.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Everyone going on about the God Of War score but in what world does Sea of Thieves score higher then Far Cry 5.

Edge seem to hate Ubi they gave Origins a 6 as well.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Excellent, the ability some folks have to bring up Nintendo and their games into a thread and discussion that has absolutely fuck all to do with them never ceases to amaze me. It's especially funny in this case because the OP has a Nintendo game that was scored far lower than average. But let's not let that get in the way of the narrative.

Well they did give Skyward Sword a 10 and that has to be the most disappointing 3D Zelda by far.

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
8 is a very good score and should have been expected of Edge, though the one issue with the entire credibility of how they score games is how their is only 1 point between Sea of Thieves and God Of War. If someone can help me understand this then I'll start taking Edge seriously.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, that's completely subjective as well based on who is playing and what their standards are. So while it seems obvious to not have to preface it with 'in my opinion', i can't really agree. the only games are mechanically sound, epic set piece driven action games with a B list plot that serves its purpose. If you put all your weight on the story and characters, sure, but old GOW wasnt really respected on those merits to begin with, even by those who rated them highly

I put more weight on the gameplay, which was never very good in the series at all. It is very shallow and very, very repetitive. It can be satisfying at times, but the repetition of the combat and especially the enemy design/encounters gets old really fucking quickly.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This thread isn't about GoW in case you haven't noticed, you mentioned they reviewed a Nintendo game yourself lol.

DeathyG

Oct 27, 2017
NW Indiana
GoW already has a couple of 8/10's, so I don't understand all the complaining.

FC5 getting only a 6 should be the one causing the outrage.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Since this thread is moving really fast, sum-up of those 3 reviews making people angry.
SoT first, FC5 second, GoW last.
Genuine sense of adventure and making friends, "more D&D than Destiny", but potential unfulfilled, lack of content, missing basic structures compelling to come back.

Tons of design issues, poor writing, "never quite the game you hope it will become".

Yeah, their review is pretty close to a 9. They mostly argue about how the game is too long and would have gained to be spread less thinly.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
God of War 2 was considered by pretty much everyone to be the best in the series and at least better than God of War 1.

The fact EDGE gave it a lower score kinda hints that they were never that enamoured with the series.

I disagree. I see nothing wrong with 7 and 8. The fact that they don't go all goo-goo gaga-gaga with a 9 or 10 doesn't remove that those aren't bad scores by any stretch of the imagination.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But, again, every single fandom is singled out in instances like this. It's a part of the normal discourse cycle for a game.

Well i wouldn't call it 'normal' :/

I know what you're saying but i think it's stupid. It's platform war bullshit where X fanboys just come in and shit on Y fanboys and then the fates reverse and so does the shit flinging. I just wish we got past this schoolyard mentality.

Just call a spade a spade, no matter what color it's painted.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well they did give Skyward Sword a 10 and that has to be the most disappointing 3D Zelda by far.
Yes, they did, sure. They also have LBP a 10, which, while conceptually fantastic and charming as all heck, is middling and sloppy in execution.

It may be time to consider there's no bias, and as an outlet they value certain things (that certain developers maybe end up hitting more often in their games than others)

Scratches

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about scores, but...
God of War - slightly too long and begins to feel overstretched, issues with pacing. Best looking game on PS4. Exilharating game. Review is mainly very positive.

Received Edge today, I agree with most of the reviews.
Good arguments for each score, and for those mad about GoW's score for some reason (the review is certainly not saying it's a bad game, what a weird way of looking at an 8), it's followed by a page about "How God of War (nearly) solves the modern action game's biggest problem" (variety and pacing).
So the game has pacing issues and it's too long but it also "(nearly) solves the modern action game's biggest problem" which are pacing and variety? Hmmm :thinking:

Okay, okay, "nearly" is the key word ^.^'

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Edge actually uses 5 as the baseline for average so this actually checks out. Don't agree with it all but it's alright.

Last edited:

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More shocked at Sea of Thieves getting a 7. In it's current state it really doesn't yet deserve that score, being as incredibly barebones as it is.

I have no issues with the score they gave God of War. It's not going to click with everyone. A different reviewer would perhaps given it a 9 or 10.

I'm shocked. SHOCKED.

Brend

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
The reaction to this review is frankly ridiculous. The game is out. Enjoy it. Do you really think one drop in Metascore point is going to stop potentially owners picking it up? 8/10 is a great score, EDGE don't deal in hyperbole. Wish I could say the same for a lot of other outlets.

Out of curiosity, if Sea of Thieves got a 6/10 would people be losing their minds as much? Probably not.

Status
Not open for further replies.