• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
I really can't imagine how people can be upset over an 8... this is more egregious than the whole Jim Sterling 7/10 thing.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I put more weight on the gameplay, which was never very good in the series at all. It is very shallow and very, very repetitive. It can be satisfying at times, but the repetition of the combat and especially the enemy design/encounters gets old really fucking quickly.

i mean if that's the case, you could put the same basic criticisms on any character action game(you just do the same combat the whole game! the enemy variety isnt different in every encounter!" ect), and that's just not really representative of a lot of people's tastes in genre regarding action adventure, so when we're talking about something being overrated on those merits...

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yes, a 6 for Detective Pikachu is proof that EDGE favors Nintendo.

Where did I say this is a God of War thread again?
the ability some folks have to bring up Nintendo and their games into a thread and discussion that has absolutely fuck all to do with them never ceases to amaze me.
It's like people aren't allowed to bring Nintendo in a topic where there is a Nintendo reviewed game.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well they did give Skyward Sword a 10 and that has to be the most disappointing 3D Zelda by far.

I'm about to give the biggest "hot take" ever. I use "hot take" in quotes though, because it's genuinely how I feel at the moment....but it'll seem like a nonsense opinion to some, so whatever lol

I think God of War is great so far (9+ hours of playtime as of this post). However, I actually like Skyward Sword more at this point. SS has tons of issues, more than GoW in fact, but it tried a lot of interesting things for not only the Zelda series, but action adventure games in general. Some of the ideas fell flat, but some succeeded. God of War feels like a greatest hits package of action adventure games over the past five years or so. That's far from a bad thing, but outside of its presentation, which is incredible, it's the reason the game isn't blowing me away.

Nov 1, 2017
Edge is really snobby and infamously terrible when it comes to their consistency regarding reviews. I wouldn't have a problem with their "tough" review scores if they didn't sometimes toss out 10's to games that from their own review scale would definitely not deserve them, and the same for lower scoring games. I stopped taking them seriously when they gave Mario Kart Double Dash a 5 or something ridiculous back in the day. Say what you want about the game or the mechanics (it's probably one of the weaker MK games in all honesty) but it definitely did not deserve a score that low.

Look at some of the 10's they've dished out as well. Littlebigplanet a 10? Yeah, nope, not with those terrible floaty physics. Zelda Skyward Sword? Uh huh. I actually have a very soft spot for that game and am one of the weird ones that prefers it over Breath of the Wild but it's not a 10. Of course BotW scored a 10 as well but most game reviewers seemed to have gotten their panties moist at that game so i guess it fits with the general consensus.

Obviously reviews are just one person's opinion but Edge in general has this unearned reputation of being some sort of trusted authority on gaming and it's all nonsense, basically.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe thread whining but fuck it.

The contents of this thread are embarrassing. A horrible mixture of '8 is too low for God of War' and, kinda worse, '7 is too high for Sea of Thieves'.

Reminder that reviews are opinions, an 8 is a good score and, mainly, try not to be dismissive of people if they find fun in a game that you don't. Don't be so childish.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Edge has the most well-argumented and consistently well-written reviews in the business.

Don't make a fool of yourself, and read the magazine before bashing it.

Also, the whole 'but they gave game X an X, therefore Y' is tired, lazy and sad. Don't be that person.
don't know about present edge..but i read the issue where they reviewed halo 3 a long time ago and the review was pretty trash..a lot of hyperbole without actually giving any particular info about the game..it was "the only problem of gears of war 2 is that it's almost too good" level of review.

but we are talking about a lot of time ago,hopefully it has improved.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Member has been warned: attempt to discredit outlet. Console warring.
they are drinking the Nintendo kool aid... for me Zelda was an solid 8 and GOW is a 10

don´t even know why they are giving scores or for who these scores are, it´s certainly not given on a good basis, it`s given on:"yeah, haha, let`s be extraharsh because we are the edgiest scorers out there" can`t take this seriously tbh
ridiculous scoring

edited: understood the warning, will not comment on review scores again...

Mod edit: Please don't use the edit function to remove context from a warning/ban.

Last edited by a moderator:

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
A 7 for SoT by a notoriously tough reviewer like Edge seems pretty damn questionable to me.
People should just wait and read the reviews, you know, the important part of an opinión in the game, also a 7 is basically the consensus in the game according to metacritic .

So sad the gow review thread is closet right now :(

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Can't agree with that 8 at all from what I've played. That 7 for SoT is also a bit eh. Would love to read the full reviews to see what they didn't like.
Edit: wait a minute they gave FC5 a 6 while giving FC4 a 9? It's a subjective and all but their reviews this month is a big fuckin no from me.

Last edited:

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's like people aren't allowed to bring Nintendo in a topic where there is a Nintendo reviewed game.
Isn't that a contradiction right there? Since the post I quoted specifically said "Nintendo games are rated high"? Don't act cute, you know what they were referring to and what I was responding to. Detective Pikachu was not it.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Little Big Planet, The Last of Us and Bloodborne got a 10 from Edge.

People saying Edge favors Nintendo games are embarrassing themselves.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Its a great score for sure, it just seems that they prefer certain pubs/devs.

But I mean as reviewers that's their prerogative.

This sort of argument is why I find it really silly when people vehemently disagree that the opposite isn't true when talking about reviews of games like Zelda or, well, God of War.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Edge is a fan and champion of great games. It's that simple.
No more than any other publication with multiple reviewers who've come and gone over the years.

I haven't read Edge for years but the way some people hold them up high and proclaim they use the "full scale" (whatever that means) is eye roll inducing. They're fine, no better nor worse than most other reviewers out there.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm about to give the biggest "hot take" ever. I use "hot take" in quotes though, because it's genuinely how I feel at the moment....but it'll seem like a nonsense opinion to some, so whatever lol

I think God of War is great so far. However, I actually like Skyward Sword more at this point. SS has tons of issues, more than GoW in fact, but it tried a lot of interesting things for not only the Zelda series, but action adventure games in general. Some of the ideas fell flat, but some succeeded. God of War feels like a greatest hits package of action adventure games over the past five years or so. That's far from a bad thing, but outside of its presentation, it's the reason the game isn't blowing me away.

Hmmm interesting little thought there. I'm about to pick the game up myself ASAP despite not caring for GoW all that much because I wanna weigh in on this myself. It'll be interesting to see where the game settles down at because the hype has been through the roof here in particular.

Rave_norris

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
8 is a very good score and should have been expected of Edge, though the one issue with the entire credibility of how they score games is how their is only 1 point between Sea of Thieves and God Of War. If someone can help me understand this then I'll start taking Edge seriously.

I agree. A reviewer must have freedom to give his own opinion, but the publication must have some sort of criteria so things like this dont happen.

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
Edge is really snobby and infamously terrible when it comes to their consistency regarding reviews. I wouldn't have a problem with their "tough" review scores if they didn't sometimes toss out 10's to games that from their own review scale would definitely not deserve them, and the same for lower scoring games. I stopped taking them seriously when they gave Mario Kart Double Dash a 5 or something ridiculous back in the day. Say what you want about the game or the mechanics (it's probably one of the weaker MK games in all honesty) but it definitely did not deserve a score that low.

Look at some of the 10's they've dished out as well. Littlebigplanet a 10? Yeah, nope, not with those terrible floaty physics. Zelda Skyward Sword? Uh huh. I actually have a very soft spot for that game and am one of the weird ones that prefers it over Breath of the Wild but it's not a 10. Of course BotW scored a 10 as well but most game reviewers seemed to have gotten their panties moist at that game so i guess it fits with the general consensus.

Obviously reviews are just one person's general opinion but Edge in general has this unearned reputation of being some sort of trusted authority on gaming and it's all nonsense, basically.
Well said. LBP a 10? Wow...

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they are drinking the Nintendo kool aid... for me Zelda was an solid 8 and GOW is a 10

don´t even know why they are giving scores or for who these scores are, it´s certainly not given on a good basis, it`s given on:"yeah, haha, let`s be extraharsh because we are the edgiest scorers out there" can`t take this seriously tbh
ridiculous scoring
Lmao. See Saint-14? Or is this okay because the OP has Detective Pikachu in it?

Oct 27, 2017
i mean if that's the case, you could put the same basic criticisms on any character action game(you just do the same combat the whole game! the enemy variety isnt different in every encounter!" ect), and that's just not really representative of a lot of people's tastes in genre regarding action adventure, so when we're talking about something being overrated on those merits...

This isn't true at all. While shit like Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden and Bayonetta might have fairly repetitive enemy design, you approach encounters completely differently and combat scenarios can be completely different from one room to the next. The original style of God of War does not do that and you are 100% doing the same combo against every enemy for the entire game with very very little need to switch things up, unlike the other games.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Excellent, the ability some folks have to bring up Nintendo and their games into a thread and discussion that has absolutely fuck all to do with them never ceases to amaze me. It's especially funny in this case because the OP has a Nintendo game that was scored far lower than average. But let's not let that get in the way of the narrative.

Well this is based on my opinion but for a 10 you really need a somewhat decent story and some 10 are lacking in that departement.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Isn't that a contradiction right there? Since the post I quoted specifically said "Nintendo games are rated high"? Don't act cute, you know what they were referring to and what I was responding to. Detective Pikachu was not it.
Dude, I'm not talking about what the other poster was saying, I'm specifically talking about how you think Nintendo have nothing to do with this topic.

Oct 27, 2017
I've never understood why people who already bought a game, and are currently playing it AND loving said game complain about review scores.

I mean if you really like or love a game, why do you care? I wouldn't care if someone reviewed God of War and gave it a 1/10, as far as I'm enjoying the game.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm interesting little thought there. I'm about to pick the game up myself ASAP despite not caring for GoW all that much because I wanna weigh in on this myself. It'll be interesting to see where the game settles down at because the hype has been through the roof here in particular.

Ultimately, I think this game will maintain its status as one of the generation's best, as I feel it does a lot of things really well and appeals very much to the type of user who posts on this forum. It's definitely a great game. Is it one of my favorites of the generation? I can't say yet but I can see it going either way.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Of course BotW scored a 10 as well but most game reviewers seemed to have gotten their panties moist at that game so i guess it fits with the general consensus.

You mean like what's happening with GoW right now?

Drinking Nintendo Kool-aid while giving a Nintendo game a 6 in the same issue.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I don't care about scores, but...

So the game has pacing issues and it's too long but it also "(nearly) solves the modern action game's biggest problem" which are pacing and variety? Hmmm :thinking:

Okay, okay, "nearly" is the key word ^.^'

Not exactly. The review itself doesn't really complain about the pacing, just about it being way too long (and some other small bits).
For the second bit, sorry I was a bit quick, but here is the opening paragraph:
Back in Edge 291's Time Extend, we suggested that an action game with the wild variety and perfect pacing of Resident Evil 4 could never really happen again. That might sound like a defeatist attitude, but it was tinged with optimism: we weren't exactly daring developers to match it, but we hoped that someone might try. Two and a half year on, and we've still not had reason to revise our opinion. It says much for God of War that it's come closer than pretty much any other game to changing our mind.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think God of War is great so far (9+ hours of playtime so far). However, I actually like Skyward Sword more at this point. SS has tons of issues, more than GoW in fact, but it tried a lot of interesting things for not only the Zelda series, but action adventure games in general. Some of the ideas fell flat, but some succeeded. God of War feels like a greatest hits package of action adventure games over the past five years or so. That's far from a bad thing, but outside of its presentation, it's the reason the game isn't blowing me away.

If that's how you feel, fair enough.

Skyward Sword was easily the weakest 3D Zelda for me, boring overworld, motion control fighting got annoying very quickly, fighting The Imprisoned so many times was just awful, the tadtones, that negative world where you had to run around being chased by irritating enemies, just awful.

And holy hell was it WAY too long. I was rushing by the midway point and I swear it still took like 50+ hours to complete, that's just stupid long.

Namyu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DAE Nintendo amirite???

Some of the reactions in this thread are beyond embarrassing.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Given Edge's history with games in general and God of War in particular, a 9 was pretty much as high as we could hope, and 8 pretty much par for the course. It's fine.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude, I'm not talking about what the other poster was saying, I'm specifically talking about how you think Nintendo have nothing to do with this topic.
I'm saying Nintendo games being brought up have nothing to do with this topic.

Well this is based on my opinion but for a 10 you really need a somewhat decent story and some 10 are lacking in that departement.
You're right, that is your opinion. All of it.
One day y'all are going to get over the fact that BotW scored well, I promise.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Sea of thieves has a 69 MC so 7 is bang on the average is it not?

Having played SoT a lot I'd say 7 is about on the money.

GoW seems low at 8 but then you need the context of the review to see what it lost points for.

FC5 at 6 is also about right. To me I like the game but it has some pretty big issues once you delve into it.

Nov 14, 2017
I'll judge the number when I actually read the review, from what I've played GoW is at the very least a 9/10 but reviews are always subjective.

Aside from that, a 7 for Sea of Thieves sounds extremely generous. Being above "A Way Out" and "Far Cry 5" is quite surprising.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If that's how you feel, fair enough.

Skyward Sword was easily the weakest 3D Zelda for me, boring overworld, motion control fighting got annoying very quickly, fighting The Imprisoned so many times was just awful, the tadtones, that negative world where you had to run around being chased by irritating enemies, just awful.

And holy hell was it WAY too long. I was rushing by the midway point and I swear it still took like 50+ hours to complete, that's just stupid long.

I actually don't really disagree with you at all! SS has tons of problems at the end of the day.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More shocked at Sea of Thieves getting a 7. In it's current state it really doesn't yet deserve that score, being as incredibly barebones as it is.

I have no issues with the score they gave God of War. It's not going to click with everyone. A different reviewer would perhaps given it a 9 or 10.

The irony on display in this post is amazing.

Shocked at Sea of Thieves getting a 7 it doesn't deserve and no issue with God of War getting an 8 cause if another journo did the review they'd give it a 9 or 10 anyway. Incredible, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.