• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Dagician

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think people is mad because GOW got an 8 (well maybe some of them).

The issue here is that, according to EDGE, Sea of Thieves is a better game than A Way Out and Far Cry 5, and at the same time it is only one point away from GOW. Just think about that last part for a second.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
User warned: attempt to discredit outlet
I wouldn't think anything in particular of the GoW score on its own; it's sensibly below the metacritic average but hey, it may not be down their alley, 8 is a good score, yadda yadda.

What makes this entire thing putrid is the 7 to SoT. Yes, tastes are tastes but in no universe SoT is a 7 and GoW is an 8. And lo and behold, SoT comes from *ding ding* a british developer! Want to be harsh? Good, but be fair. They always pull this shit. They know everyone thinks they're biased, they know they're gonna be accused of it, and whenever there's the chance they slam some major exclusive to prop up the british game of the month. Like a clockwork.

I'll wait till I can read the reviews; if anything, the mental gymnastics should be entertaining.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry but some your reactions are truly embarrassing and hilarious.

"the era of Edge is over"
"what a joke this magazine is"
"Edge needing attention again"

There's something up with you if you're really affected by some review scores this badly.

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Edge is one of the last non-bias/non-compromised review outlets remaining. Their reviews usually withstand the test of time and often offer great foresight and hindsight once the honeymoon period for a flavor of the moment hype dies off.

From what I see of the new God of War game, there are simply too much faults to warrant a score higher than 9.

Have you completed the game to form an opinion whether this review is right or this review is won't?

PhazonBlazer

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Quick, someone calculate how this will effect the MC score. I have my copy ready to return to Amazon if it goes from 95 to 94.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
What a completely odd thing to be worried about. Like, why would anyone worry about something like this?

That happens all the time with lots of different games and there's nothing you can do about it and it should not worry you at all. Jim Sterling was championed for months for example over his most infamous review. It sucks definitely but like I say what can you do. It just really shouldn't worry you.

My bad, I was on the move and didn't convey well that part. What worries me, relatively speaking, is the general trend beyond gaming, where polarizing opinions get more public attention than those in mere agreement with the common discourse. It's what we see daily on politics, social life, culture... Media and audiences propelled by controversy, any room for sensible debate left buried.

I'm afraid, and again, just as figure of speech, that here's going to happen similarly. But as Raijinto said, that's been occurring for some time and we can't do anything but accept it.

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful cover.

And brutal month on the reviews front. I'd definitely swap the Sea of Thieves and God of War scores.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Quick, someone calculate how this will effect the MC score. I have my copy ready to return to Amazon if it goes from 95 to 94.
I'd suggest burning it. Do you really want to take the chance that someone else could end up buying trash like that and ruining their week?

One less copy in the world only helps mankind.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Edge gave it an 8 and I'm sure we'll see other 8's, maybe 7's or even something lower from other reviewers and big names over the coming months. Its not the end of the world in any sense and God of War is still going to be an amazing game enjoyed by millions that was loved by 99% of critics to the point of gushing non stop about it. Its gonna be a massive success for Sony and I don't think they or SSM give two shits about an 8, which isn't even a bad score. Move on people.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't think anything in particular of the GoW score on its own; it's sensibly below the metacritic average but hey, it may not be down their alley, 8 is a good score, yadda yadda.

What makes this entire thing putrid is the 7 to SoT. Yes, tastes are tastes but in no universe SoT is a 7 and GoW is an 8. And lo and behold, SoT comes from *ding ding* a british developer! Want to be harsh? Good, but be fair. They always pull this shit. They know everyone thinks they're biased, they know they're gonna be accused of it, and whenever there's the chance they slam some major exclusive to prop up the british game of the month. Like a clockwork.

I'll wait till I can read the reviews; if anything, the mental gymnastics should be entertaining.

Someone posted the reviews from Edge for several major British developed games this gen earlier on ITT. Your argument doesn't hold water in face of that. They are not biased.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
The Sea of Thieves score seems generous for a game that by most accounts lacks much meaningful content.

The 6 for Far Cry 5 makes sense to me. This is basically the 4th regurgitation of the Far Cry 3 formula. A franchise cant lean on its past success while adding nothing new and expect critical praise. That doesn't mean it can't be fun, but by the numbers sequels should comprise the meat of most 6-7 review score ranges.

Really disagree on God of War, though I'm only a few hours in. From the coverage I've seen and what I've played it is an exceptional achievement for the industry. Revitalizing a stale franchise without a hard reboot but still adding meaningful depth to the lead character. Replacing the button mashy combat of the previous games with a technical, layered system comparable to the Souls games that couples with a detailed improvement system. Enemy AI that is top of the field at this time. Cinematography and graphics that set a new visual standard. The title, at least from my perspective so far, has the promise to be one of the best games of this generation.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The issue here is that, according to EDGE, Sea of Thieves is a better game than A Way Out and Far Cry 5, and at the same time it is only one point away from GOW. Just think about that last part for a second.
Critic doesn't work like this. They're giving scores based on their experiences with these titles, they don't care about people making comparisons about different games trying different things with their scores.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
People in this thread coming up with ANY excuse to be mad at these scores are embarassing.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
While 8 is a very positive score, I don't agree that GoW deserves it. It's a landmark game that really excels in all fields.

PhazonBlazer

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd suggest burning it. Do you really want to take the chance that someone else could end up buying trash like that and ruining their week?

One less copy in the world only helps mankind.
Is burning enough though? Someone could collect the ashes. The only sure way to rid the world of this garbage is to send it off into space and hoping it gets devoured by a black hole

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well if you're on the side of people like The New Beginning with that part I don't know what to tell ya.

People are getting warned/banned ITT for being console warriors as per usual, not for 'defending the game'.
So what your definition of console war? Defend a game from not deserve a bad score?
Nobody here need a Crystal ball to see this mess happens. Work with that horrible BOTW 7/10 review, so why you think this is different?
Gonna say for the rest of my life that FC5 review is mega unfair. FC4 its a horrible game and get a better score. I don't know what is a opinion anymore or what a game need to get a 10... But seeing SoT in that state (don't know if the game get more content at this point) with no content and many problems getting a 7?
They're just sending the wrong mensage. Its just like giving Sonic 2006 a good score.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Someone posted the reviews from Edge for several major British developed games this gen earlier on ITT. Your argument doesn't hold water in face of that. They are not biased.

Ill swing back to whats been parroted several times in this thread.
Edge is not a single reviewer. If were to take every reviewer at their own merit and not question any discrepancies in the overlying opinions, then its fair to say may some are or in this case the one reviewing sot was biased.

i personally dont think there was british bias involved and ive already explained above. just playing the devil's advocate

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
So what your definition of console war? Defend a game from not deserve a bad score?
Nobody here need a Crystal ball to see this mess happens. Work with that horrible BOTW 7/10 review, so why you think this is different?
Gonna say for the rest of my life that FC5 review is mega unfair. FC4 its a horrible game and get a better score. I don't know what is a opinion anymore or what a game need to get a 10... But saying SoT in that state (don't know if the game get more content at this point) with no content and many problems getting a 7?
They're just sending the wrong mensage. Its just like giving Sonic 2006 a good score.
Are you seriously comparing Sea of Thieves to Sonic 06?

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

You do realize different people write different reviews, right? What it's actually saying is that one person liked Sea of Thieves that much, another person liked Far Cry 5 that much, and so on

The games and scores aren't comparable because they're from the same site/magazine.

Rave_norris

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
The new god of war is one of the best games of all time. EDGE is usually right, but in this case they are slightly wrong by saying this is a "very good" videogame and not one of best. No game is perfect, and what makes a game a masterpiece is what it gets right, despite its mistakes.

We just have to wait and see in some years how this game will be rated, and i am confident it will be up there with the best.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
8 is a great score. People need to chill. If there's anything controversial - it's FC5 only scoring a 6 and getting beat by SoT. Didn't see that coming.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I dropped my Edge sub years ago as both they're tastes just don't seem to line up with mine very well and they're just too critical of games for me. I'm pretty easily entertained and all the negativity around games (on this forum especially) tend to suck the enjoyment out of gaming at times. I mean I don't care about low review scores, what a game's meta average or any of that console warrior type nonsense. I just want to read reviews by people who's tastes seem to align for mine and just play games to have fun and aren't writing reviews like some pretentious art critic wanting to be hyper critical and nitpick everything to death. As many critical, negative gamers are out there and on sites like this, and the people who take gaming more seriously than I do in general, I'm sure Edge is a great review source. So I'm glad they exist for them, Gamespot as well as they tend to be similarly harsh.

Nov 18, 2017

Would need more data than this gen, it's a long-standing accusation. You can't pick "several" games from this gen and handwave it. Edge rightly has a lot of respect, they're the best, and it doesn't discredit them - but as a British person reading for twenty years, I'm of the impression there is a bias there.

Still a great mag with the best written reviews.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you seriously comparing Sea of Thieves to Sonic 06?
Why not? Here its not about comparing games?

Because, you know, I have fun playing Sonic 2006, but don't make Sonic 2006 a good game.

But hey, if SoT get 7 and FC5 get a 6 so... Naw forget.

See? If you ignore all the problems, bugs, content and singleplay/multiplayer experience and just give a score because you 'have fun' playing what the reason to review?

Last edited:

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can someone post the Edge review or that's not allowed?

The only way to do that ATM would be for someone who has purchased the magazine to scan it or take a photograph of the reviews and post them here. I don't think it needs an explanation why that is absolutely not allowed.

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
"Ultimately what was intended as a thoughtful depiction of a terrible mental illness has ended up casting it as something of an asset: a helpful superpower that can give you the strength to soldier on through the darkness, so long as you can put up with the odd breakdown here and there. That, we suspect, was not what Ninja Theory intended. It's certainly not what we had hoped for. "
The game does convey that though to some extent, with the voices helping her in combat. You can argue the game is all in her head and that it's intended to be that way, but it doesn't change how the game presents it and how someone may interpret it.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not about GoW being 8/10 (whatever, their opinion and a very good score for any game), but when Sea of Thieves is 7/10... you gotta ask yourself about the criteria here? 7/10 for an empty, potentially interesting albeit visually arresting game... vs. AAA title with an insane amount of details on pretty much every front (gameplay, world building, questing, narrative etc.)

I'm checking out man.

Oct 25, 2017
Folks, completely apart from the quality of GoW or the shallowness of Sea of Thieves (and I haven't played either, so I'm drawing these descriptions from a combination of surface impressions and public reputation, and so are most of you), the quality and trustworthiness of a review have no correlation whatsoever to how neatly it lines up with a reputational consensus. That isn't the point of criticism.

Which considerably elevated my respect for the publication.

Last edited:

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You guys are putting much enfort in God of War and ignoring the Far Cry 5 review. FC5 is a far better game than FC4, but hey lets focus on that gow score fanboys war.
Review scores have never ever worked like that, I don't know why that expectation is there. Nobody scores a game thinking "well this previous version that came out 2 years ago got an 8, this one does things better, so it must score higher". Anyone who approaches it from that standpoint is an idiot. Standards change, tastes changes, expectations change and no reviewer should simply evaluate a product simply based on what the previous game did X years ago. These games don't exist in a vacuum. I'm also pretty sure that a reviewer doesn't temper or change their score based simply on what other games in the same issue scored. SoT getting a 7 really doesn't have a bearing on what GoW scored or A Way Out or Far Cry 5. Its the score the reviewer felt the game was worth based on their scale and awarded it accordingly. I just think you guys read way too much into this stuff and try to find some transitive relationship where there really isn't one.
And yes, I'll maintain that review score whining ultimately comes down to fanboy whining and feelings of inadequacy because some "expert" didn't like thing that you did. thats always what it boiled down to.

Status
Not open for further replies.