• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
So what are you saying? Lack of content not affect the score? Its that your mensage?
Or just bugs/broken games deserves less score?
Pick one. Mass Effect Andromeda in the same boat.
The latter. Games that are broken (either mechanically, like FC5, or in terms of polish, like MAE that got a 7 from them) deserve lesser scores, and that this is something you can also notice quite often in Edge's reviews, since they care more about game design than some other publications.
I've read Edge's review, I got the issue just next to me. They had fun with the game, and since it's a service game, they know some content issues should be solved more easily than if it was a single player game for example. FC5's issue with them is not the content, it's the quality of the game (broken in many ways).

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's such an Edge thing to do that everyone predicted it would happen already. Edge scores are never surprising, they have certain types of games from certain developers they love. It's why I don't find their reviews helpful, they're often reviewing the developers not the game.

Sorry but this is total rubbish. Their long, often two-page, well written, reasoned and argued review texts are about the developers and not the games?

Nov 18, 2017
They criticize GoW for being too long, but the same criticism was not made about GTAV's badly-written slog of a campaign, and RDR2 won't get marked down for it either...

Yeah yeah "not all reviews are written by the same person", "they're not relative", blah blah.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Well this was a delightful, entertaining thread for the morning. GOW and SOT scores got certain people going, which is always funny to see.

I do kinda want to read these reviews though. Edge is probably one of my favorite review outlets because of how consistent they are after all this time with their review criteria generation over generation.

I'll still get GOW after a price drop though.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People are being condescending because you're attempting to do something fundamentally flawed, comparing review scores of games. If you read the reviews they tell you why those games got those scores. That's the point.

So it's people against m4st4 is that right? Or some of you against most of us here in a 20 page thread. Don't spin the spin, we all understand what a review is. I've done a few professionally in my lifetime (and my own language) and they were score-less for a reason.

But this is supposed to be the big almighty EDGE, so people are expecting absolute clarity. Seems like it just depends on the reviewer... so they're just like any other gaming magazine, only this time one of them scored Sea of Thieves measly one point below one of the biggest games in recent memory. How... interesting?

/thepoint

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The latter. Games that are broken (either mechanically, like FC5, or in terms of polish, like MAE that got a 7 from them) deserve lesser scores, and that this is something you can also notice quite often in Edge's reviews, since they care more about game design than some other publications.
I've read Edge's review, I got the issue just next to me. They had fun with the game, and since it's a service game, they know some content issues should be solved more easily than if it was a single player game for example. FC5's issue with them is not the content, it's the quality of the game (broken in many ways).

Do they actually say this? Because if they do that's nonsense. Games shouldn't be able to hide behind the post release GaaS defence when they're being sold for $60 as a full retail priced game. They should be reviewed for what they are as they are on release if they're charging full price for it, and then re-review at a later date if need be.

If the game was free to play, sure, there would be merit to that defence or leeway, but as is it simply doesn't make sense.

Very disappointing for Edge if true.

mejin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User warned: attempt to discredit outlet. Console warring
They criticize GoW for being too long, but the same criticism was not made abot GTAV's badly-written slog of a campaign, and RDR2 won't get marked down for it either...

Yeah yeah "not all reviews are written by the same person", "they're not relative", blah blah.

not a rockstar or a nintendo game, that's the problem.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I do kinda want to read these reviews though. Edge is probably one of my favorite review outlets because of how consistent they are after all this time with their review criteria generation over generation.

I'll still get GOW after a price drop though.
assuming youve read them, would you mind recalling why they thought fc4 was a 9 ?

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
So Far Cry 5 have lack of content too I'm afraid. At least more than that awful Far Cry 4 plot + set + all bad thinks about others people religion.

Lack of content in what way? The game is loaded with shit to do and even includes an Arcade mode where people are recreating maps from other fps games.

Unless you really miss ripping posters off walls.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
then what is this thread for? neither sides can make a sound argument without the review , agree or disagree .
There are no arguments to make or sides to take. We can literally objective only say, "that's the score a writer gave". We have no text or context.

Everything else - "UK bias", how can they give X this score but Y that score, are they really saying A is better than B, it's just clickbait - is confirmation bias (I like this game so it can't be that score) and conspiracy theory nonsense (they're only give it that score because...)

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, far cry probably had other problems.
Far Cry 4 or Far Cry 5?
Thats the problem SoT have problems too, at least on PC version. If you ignore that... Its just like saying Far Cry 5 on PC don't get problems, but in video game have.
Its a mix bag, but still both games have their launch problem... period. But just one get lacks of content.
At this point I don't even know whats going on... I know Edge at this point.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
I love how people Say they arent angry at the score, they're just angry that it didn't destroy Sot score.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
How many of you babies that are bitching about scores have actually read the reviews? You have absolutely no context other than comparing one number to a number given by other outlets. Also different games are reviewed by different people but I think the final score is a collaborative effort based on opinions of other contributors and the editor. Put it this way, there's a shit load more effort goes into creating a review and deciding on a score than anyone on here spends spitting out their dummies and ranting like children. Question to you babies - do you all kick off in the real world if say a work colleague doesn't like a movie as much as you, or are you only like this on here?

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
So it's people against m4st4 is that right? Or some of you against most of us here in a 20 page thread. Don't spin the spin, we all understand what a review is. I've done a few professionally in my lifetime (and my own language) and they were score-less for a reason.

But this is supposed to be the big almighty EDGE, so people are expecting absolute clarity. Seems like it just depends on the reviewer... so they're just like any other gaming magazine, only this time one of them scored Sea of Thieves measly one point below one of the biggest games in recent memory. How... interesting?

/thepoint
Are you okay? I think you need to calm a bit, nobody is ganging up on you and this isn't a case of you v. the world. Relax.

There's nothing really interesting in the score difference itself. Review scores don't exist to be compared to each other they exist to be a overly simplistic summary of the opinion of a review. They're entirely useless on their own. Why do you care about the difference in review scores between Sea of Thieves and God of War?

breakfuss

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People are trying to normalize scores from different reviewers for games across different genres. Makes sense.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The irony on display in this post is amazing.

Shocked at Sea of Thieves getting a 7 it doesn't deserve and no issue with God of War getting an 8 cause if another journo did the review they'd give it a 9 or 10 anyway. Incredible, lol.

You have no idea what irony even means, do you?

Objectively, experienced by myself from playing plenty of hours of Sea of Thieves, the game has a colossal flaw. The amount of content on offer is simply not sufficient for a game sold for 60$. That fact should stand regardless of who's reviewing it. That's why I don't think it deserves an above average score. From anyone.

God of War on the other hand doesn't seem to have this problem. The reviewer clearly feels it's a good game and as such I have no issues whether the score would be 7, 8 or 9. The games' flaws are a lot more subjective.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I see that attempts to discredit Edge with accusations of bias are still going on, despite numerous warnings and bans in the first few pages.

These arent even massively different scores from the concessious.

~Fake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lack of content in what way? The game is loaded with shit to do and even includes an Arcade mode where people are recreating maps from other fps games.

Unless you really miss ripping posters off walls.
You don't get the sarcasm. Far Cry 5 have tons of content (same as Far Cry 4), but get a 6 . SoT get a 7, lack of content, launch problems too (both SoT and FC5)but the reviewer get lots of fun (subjective).

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

These are the same forums that spend time watching Metacritic scores with mouth-drooling anticipation for dozens of pages in a review thread.

Some people have yet to grasp the arbitrary nature of these scores and how the differences between these numbers are ultimately meaningless and typically can't actually be explained.

Oct 27, 2017
The Godfather: 8/10
Pirates of The Carribean: On Stranger Tides: 7/10

It's all about the context. We're not talking about the text within said reviews here, clearly because how many of us have actually red the latest issue? So, please, stop with the condescention.

"We're creating drama out of thin air and refusing to think about anything, please stop attacking us"

gow3isben

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ugh with this and Gamecritics obvious 5-7 coming up 95 dream is dead. We need more 10s to buffer man.

Oct 27, 2017
You don't get the sarcasm. Far Cry 5 have tons of content (same as Far Cry 4), but get a 6 . SoT get a 7, lack of content, launch problems too (both SoT and FC5)but the reviewer get lots of fun (subjective).

A review is subjective, and even if Far Cry 5 has more content it's about how fun the reviewer feels that content is. I enjoyed Far Cry 5, but it has it's share of problems.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
it really hasnt been proven because the narrative shift's to "(all of)edge isnt biased" when someone questions the uk thing, and goes back to "but edge isnt a person and they dont need to be consistent " when its about game scores.
and its not in line with the average because people also conveniently ignore the argument that edge scores much lower than average when it comes to Sot(which is objectively true)
so much dissonance . cant have it both ways.
I'm sorry but it sounds like a conspiracy theory.
They have scores in line with the average, and they have scores in line with the average. The issue that people have with the "lower than average" is due to tons of games being rated on a 7 to 10 scale, when Edge doesn't do that.
Again, for what you're claiming ("they give UK games a better score!") is just wrong, whether you want to talk about Edge itself or its reviewers. They don't care much about the nationality of a developer.
They criticize GoW for being too long, but the same criticism was not made about GTAV's badly-written slog of a campaign, and RDR2 won't get marked down for it either...

GTA was not only single player, and neither will RDR2 (how do you know this one will have a slog of a campaign btw?).
Do they actually say this? Because if they do that's nonsense. Games shouldn't be able to hide behind the post release GaaS defence when they're being sold for $60 as full retail priced games. If the game was free to play, sure, there would be merit to that defence or leeway, but as is it simply doesn't make sense.
Not exactly, I probably wasn't clear (sorry, english is not my first language).
It is implied that it will get fixes because it is a service game, but nothing saying "oh it will become a great game". They really like the game as is, but also know it's missing not only content but also mechanics. But they like it, like many people out there.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK

/thepoint

You haven't read either review. You don't know why they marked GoW down or marked SoT as they did.

EDGE are so good, it shows that they carry clout because people get so wound up. Ironically it's one of the favoured media outlets among developers and a high score in EDGE means more than a high score written by some internet "journalist" who likely have no journalism qualifications at all.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Everything else - "UK bias", how can they have X this score but Y that score, are they really saying A is better than B, it's just clickbait - is confirmation bias (I like this game so it can't be that score) and conspiracy theory nonsense (they're only give it that score because...)
Because it invites an equal amount of confirmation bias and trolling from people who dont care for these games, and theyre equally uninformed.
So we can either accept that these discussions are meant to be a mess or we close down the thread to comments and pin it at the top for a few days. Theres so much driveby shitposting in this thread and no one seems to care because all the attention is on " oh look at those manchildren defending their precious game". This just leads to the thread devolving into another one of those " only post in this thread to agree with the topic" scenarios.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are you okay? I think you need to calm a bit, nobody is ganging up on you and this isn't a case of you v. the world. Relax.

There's nothing really interesting in the score difference itself. Review scores don't exist to be compared to each other they exist to be a overly simplistic summary of the opinion of a review. They're entirely useless on their own. Why do you care about the difference in review scores between Sea of Thieves and God of War?

Psychology 101? Really? No need for that.

Maybe it's time for you to, again, drop my viewpoint on all of this and look around. Cause this whole thread is about the difference in score. So better start quoting everybody and copy-paste that condescention to every single poster who thinks the same as me right now.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Knew the meltdowns were inevitable when a major outlet went with an 8.

8 is a great score.

Also, the extra salt for Sea of Thieves 7/10? It's metacritic is 69. So 7/10 perfectly aligns.

Get a grip for christ's sake. It's not like IB Times gave it a 4/10 and said "Sony Santa Monica are clearly sick of making God of War games"

fieldafar

Jan 23, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
What a ride this thread is.
giphy.webp

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played ten or so hours of God of War yesterday and while I don't see it being any lower than a 9/10 for me personally, an 8/10 from EDGE is a good score but my problem is Sea of Thieves getting scored a point higher than Far Cry 5 and A Way Out. I mean seriously, come on. Oh well. Thankfully, I rarely if ever even pay attention to EDGE in general so meh, whatever.

~Fake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A review is subjective, and even if Far Cry 5 has more content it's about how fun the reviewer feels that content is. I enjoyed Far Cry 5, but it has it's share of problems.
Far Cry 4 its a bad game and get a higher score. Subjective.
Until my favorite game get a score I don't agree

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Edge gives Sea of Thieves a 7/10 which falls in line with SoT score on Metacritic and it means Edge has a UK bias...

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Far Cry 4 or Far Cry 5?

Thats the problem SoT have problems too, at least on PC version. If you ignore that... Its just like saying Far Cry 5 on PC don't get problems, but in video game have.
Its a mix bag, but still both games have their launch problem... period. But just one get lacks of content.
At this point I don't even know whats going on... I know Edge at this point.

You don't seem to have read what I've written. They don't have an issue with FC5's content. They talk about its design issues.
It's the reverse for SoT, and on top of that, it's a more polished game.
Edge cares more about quality than quantity, thought it was known at this point.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Psychology 101? Really? No need for that.

Maybe it's time for you to, again, drop my viewpoint on all of this and look around. Cause this whole thread is about the difference in score. So better start quoting everybody and copy-paste that condescention to every single poster who thinks the same as me right now.
There's no "psychology 101" in my post, i'm just saying relax a bit.

I have been replying to a lot of other people? Your post in particular was one I replied to because you best articulated the mistake of trying to compare review scores. I'm genuinely interested in why you care about the difference in review scores between two games.

It is fucking bizarre when there's barely any content, yes.
They must have liked the content that was there though. It's not that bizarre.
Not saying I agree with their score though, I've been pretty vocal in other threads about how disappointed I was with SoT.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Again, for what you're claiming ("they give UK games a better score!") is just wrong, whether you want to talk about Edge itself or its reviewers. They don't care much about the nationality of a developer.
No ive literally claimed the exact opposite of that a few posts above it. Im simply presenting an argument of why this thread is gonna go nowhere.

Oct 25, 2017
Some of y'all are taking this shit waaaay too seriously.

How many people complaining about the score is actually playing the game right now? Isn't that more important?

Smh....

Status
Not open for further replies.