• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Yeah, someone pls at least summarize the type of information in the Shenmue cover story. Please?

I haven't kept up on any of the news about Shenmue III so it's very likely this is just repeating already known info:

* Yu Suzuki is using his documents from 20 years ago that he gathered on Chinese culture in the 1980's, chinese tribes, their customs and villages, he's also traveled to the Fujian Province for direct hands-on research of the people and their lifestyle
* First two games had modern settings, this one is steeped in religion and ancient culture of China
* You start in a village called Bailu, it sounds like the start will be slow paced. People will barely talk to you and won't answer your questions because you're an outsider, there's a dialogue system and you need to complete tasks and become more known around the village before the local people will give you info. If you have Shenhua with you the villagers will be more open with you because they know and trust her.
* Each villager will have their own day-night routine just like the previous games
* Because Ryo is a city boy there's a lot of obliviousness from him and there's funny and interesting conversations because his viewpoint is so different.
* The game is more about looking inward than outward, Suzuki says he wants to look deeper into the Ryo character and we'll learn more about him.
* Same voice actor as before
* A large part of the game is the affinity system between Ryo and Shenhua and a major part of the story of the game is the relationship between the two.
* Combat system looks much smoother and is more RPG based, not just learning skills by repeating moves over and over
Attack power and stamina are the two main stats for combat, stamina is used for everything (sprinting, fighting moves) and can be restored by eating food. eating before doing something strenuous will become routine
* When training you can customize Ryo's clothes into training gear
* Training is done through mini-games, Horse Stance, One inch Punch and more, mostly rhythm based but satisfying to pull off
* Technique scrolls from 1 & 2 return as well as new ones, around 100 in total
* The intricate world building of characters being linked and having back-stories is present in 3
* There's a fight club in another city you can enter where you fight people with nicknames like "The Knee of Death" and "Mach Fist" (voiced by Chris Bellinger)
* At one point you'll have to fight multiple people in these fighting events, people who want to master the combat system will be spending a lot of time fighting in these events. All of the fighting happens in the Rose Garden and is optional.
* Controls are carried over from Shenmue 2 but with analogue stick camera improvements
* Capsule toys are back
* EDGE sound very positive on what they've seen.
* Suzuki stresses how important it is to make the game feel like a Shenmue game, modern games are more open world nowadays but he doesn't want to go that way because then it wouldn't be Shenmue

* As someone that hasn't kept up with all the news, the article made me pretty hype for the game, the screenshots make it look beautiful.

So yeah, no idea how much of that is new. Very little I suspect.

Last edited:

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
How long does it take to complete the game?
About 20-25 hours. Depending on a few things.

Tho the game is structured the same throughout. Play the first few hours/worlds and you'll have an idea how everything will play out. It's not like Past KH games that try to mix some aspects up. ( more details are in somewhat spoiler territory).

It's a strange game. Personally, a disappointment, but I wouldn't call it a bad game. It's decent.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
A 6 is like a 7 on other sites :P
KH3 is a flawed, but pretty cool game: some great bosses, simple but flashy gameplay, you can get some challenge if you pick proud mode and limit yourself a bit, good looking artstyle etc.
You can't be a kid (at heart) and at least not like the game
I think its more hounded by the fact that people skipped games that were seen as not necessary.

Tho the game is structured the same throughout. Play the first few hours/worlds and you'll have an idea how everything will play out. It's not like Past KH games that try to mix some aspects up. ( more details are in somewhat spoiler territory).

It's a strange game. Personally, a disappointment, but I wouldn't call it a bad game. It's decent.

Nah BH6 and especially Pirates change it up quite a bit.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
Shame about Unruly Heroes - I've heard decent enough things about it but they really, really did not like it (the Switch version was tested specifically), and the review praises Rayman Origins by comparison which is one of the main reasons I was interested. Having second thoughts about it now, and may wait for a deeper sale price

I was interested in Unruly Heroes from the trailer but EDGE are pretty trustworthy when it comes to the gameplay. Do you know what they didnt like specifically?

Seems like shadow dropping that game was a mistake, no one talked about it and its got like 10 reviews on the internet

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
8 for Resident Evil 2 sounds about right. I loved that game, but they kind of whiffed the post game content.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I was interested in Unruly Heroes from the trailer but EDGE are pretty trustworthy when it comes to the gameplay. Do you know what they didnt like specifically?

Seems like shadow dropping that game was a mistake, no one talked about it and its got like 10 reviews on the internet
They disliked quite a lot - they criticised the controls, puzzles and combat, only saving grace for them was the art style

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't kept up on any of the news about Shenmue III so it's very likely this is just repeating already known info:

* Yu Suzuki is using his documents from 20 years ago that he gathered on Chinese culture in the 1980's, chinese tribes, their customs and villages, he's also traveled to the Fujian Province for direct hands-on research of the people and their lifestyle
* First two games had modern settings, this one is steeped in religion and ancient culture of China
* You start in a village called Bailu, it sounds like the start will be slow paced. People will barely talk to you and won't answer your questions because you're an outsider, there's a dialogue system and you need to complete tasks and become more known around the village before the local people will give you info. If you have Shenhua with you the villagers will be more open with you because they know and trust her.
* Each villager will have their own day-night routine just like the previous games
* Because Ryo is a city boy there's a lot of obliviousness from him and there's funny and interesting conversations because his viewpoint is so different.
* The game is more about looking inward than outward, Suzuki says he wants to look deeper into the Ryo character and we'll learn more about him.
* A large part of the game is the affinity system between Ryo and Shenhua and a major part of the story of the game is the relationship between the two.
* Combat system looks much smoother and is more RPG based, not just learning skills by repeating moves over and over
Attack power and stamina are the two main stats for combat, stamina is used for everything (sprinting, fighting moves) and can be restored by eating food. eating before doing something strenuous will become routine
* Training is done through mini-games, Horse Stance, One inch Punch and more, mostly rhythm based but satisfying to pull off
* The intricate world building of characters being linked and having back-stories is present in 3
* There's a fight club in another city you can enter where you fight people with nicknames like "The Knee of Death" and "Mach Fist" (voiced by Chris Bellinger)
* At one point you'll have to fight multiple people in these fighting events, people who want to master the combat system will be spending a lot of time fighting in these events. All of the fighting happens in the Rose Garden and is optional.
* Controls are carried over from Shenmue 2 but with analogue stick camera improvements
* Capsule toys are back
* Suzuki stresses how important it is to make the game feel like a Shenmue game, modern games are more open world nowadays but he doesn't want to go that way because then it wouldn't be Shenmue

* As someone that hasn't kept up with all the news, the article made me pretty hype for the game, the screenshots make it look beautiful.

Right here

SprachBrooks

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Thanks. I've never played any in the series but I'll jump into this if the gameplay is fun.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks. I've never played any in the series but I'll jump into this if the gameplay is fun.
Gameplay is fun in KH3. If it's your first game, I think you'll have a good time. Unless you care for story.

I recommend playing KH2.5 final mix. It's the best in the series in my opinion. I also think 1.5 Final Mix is a better overall game then KH3.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested by Wargroove, but at the same time, it looks very by the numbers from the original Advance Wars formula. I get there are a few new touches, but I'm not convinced its enough.

I feel many indie games make the mistake of mirroring classics to the point where you're not seeing anything special or new. Mechanically fun, but rehashed.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

* Capsule toys are back

Damn this sounds like everything I wanted from the third game. More of everything that came before but refined and expanded upon. Sounds like it could be something really special.

Should someone make a topic about this info?

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't agree with scoring FFXV higher, that barely felt like a game to me, half an 'open world', only two towns, terrible stealth/horror sections and the idea of patching in a playable party for a FF game is baffling to me. XV was an insult, whereas I can see what they were tying to do with the concept of KH 3 and it's mostly done well.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Edge tilts their scores pretty hard in favor of UK developers. Being both ambitious and from the UK means that Dreams is probably looking at a 9 or better.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Edge tilts their scores pretty hard in favor of UK developers. Being both ambitious and from the UK means that Dreams is probably looking at a 9 or better.
True, I remember LittleBigPlanet getting a 10/10 lmfao

That was the day Edge died for me. Don't get me wrong I appreciate them being stricter on their reviews than most but that exposed their bias too much.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019

That was the day Edge died for me. Don't get me wrong I appreciate them being stricter on their reviews than most but that exposed their bias too much.
Their bias towards ambitious (even if slightly flawed) games?

Just because a game is British doesn't guarantee it a good score...

Oct 27, 2017
That KH score, they gave FFXV a 7 for comparison.

They are not the only one scoring KH3 with somewhat low scores.

Most of latest KH III reviews are all lower than the first enthusiastic reviews. Metacritic is going to end at 83 or even 82, who knows, where FF XV has an 81.

Userscores too, surprisingly, are very close, with FF XV being 7.6 and Kingdom Hearts III being an 8.0.

I simply cannot understand why even if both games have similar critical and user receptions, on Era FF XV is trash while Kingdom Hearts III is called one of the best rpg ever.
Is it Nomura? Is it some sort of nostalgia coming from seeing KH characters with Ps4 graphics that made you forget that the game is ultimately shallow, with an extremely easy difficulty, confusing and mess of a story?

Or is it because XV was not the traditional turn based Final Fantasy?

For me a 6 is the correct score for KHIII and a 7 is the correct score for XV.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly agree with that KH3 score. I still have a world to play, but everything I've played so far with the exception of "Tangled" has been mediocre. Paced terribly, useless cutscenes, and gameplay that isn't challenging

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
Edge giving Apex a 9 is honestly weird. Thing just released so suddenly. Feels honeymoon-ish.

Not that I disagree with the score. I did not play that enough, but it still comes off weird. Higher than RE2? Dunno.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I mean, I can't speak for the entirety of all the games they've scored but looking at the 21 games that received a 10 from the magazine, there's no indicator of bias toward EU developers.

Last edited: