• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Edge giving Apex a 9 is honestly weird. Thing just released so suddenly. Feels honeymoon-ish.

What's the alternative, review it months later? All games are technically reviewed in their "honeymoon phase", it's just this one didn't get months of hype leading up to it. And hype buildup certainly shouldn't factor into reviews.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not big on MP shooters but clearly Apex Legends is something special and EDGE is hardly the only one praising that game effusively.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I haven't kept up on any of the news about Shenmue III so it's very likely this is just repeating already known info:

* Yu Suzuki is using his documents from 20 years ago that he gathered on Chinese culture in the 1980's, chinese tribes, their customs and villages, he's also traveled to the Fujian Province for direct hands-on research of the people and their lifestyle
* First two games had modern settings, this one is steeped in religion and ancient culture of China
* You start in a village called Bailu, it sounds like the start will be slow paced. People will barely talk to you and won't answer your questions because you're an outsider, there's a dialogue system and you need to complete tasks and become more known around the village before the local people will give you info. If you have Shenhua with you the villagers will be more open with you because they know and trust her.
* Each villager will have their own day-night routine just like the previous games
* Because Ryo is a city boy there's a lot of obliviousness from him and there's funny and interesting conversations because his viewpoint is so different.
* The game is more about looking inward than outward, Suzuki says he wants to look deeper into the Ryo character and we'll learn more about him.
* Same voice actor as before
* A large part of the game is the affinity system between Ryo and Shenhua and a major part of the story of the game is the relationship between the two.
* Combat system looks much smoother and is more RPG based, not just learning skills by repeating moves over and over
Attack power and stamina are the two main stats for combat, stamina is used for everything (sprinting, fighting moves) and can be restored by eating food. eating before doing something strenuous will become routine
* When training you can customize Ryo's clothes into training gear
* Training is done through mini-games, Horse Stance, One inch Punch and more, mostly rhythm based but satisfying to pull off
* Technique scrolls from 1 & 2 return as well as new ones, around 100 in total
* The intricate world building of characters being linked and having back-stories is present in 3
* There's a fight club in another city you can enter where you fight people with nicknames like "The Knee of Death" and "Mach Fist" (voiced by Chris Bellinger)
* At one point you'll have to fight multiple people in these fighting events, people who want to master the combat system will be spending a lot of time fighting in these events. All of the fighting happens in the Rose Garden and is optional.
* Controls are carried over from Shenmue 2 but with analogue stick camera improvements
* Capsule toys are back
* EDGE sound very positive on what they've seen.
* Suzuki stresses how important it is to make the game feel like a Shenmue game, modern games are more open world nowadays but he doesn't want to go that way because then it wouldn't be Shenmue

* As someone that hasn't kept up with all the news, the article made me pretty hype for the game, the screenshots make it look beautiful.

So yeah, no idea how much of that is new. Very little I suspect.

RRRNFQNFETTSOPGHJIFJNFNFMFMFKJEGW! This all sounds so damn good! I...I can't believe it. HYPE!

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Edge giving Apex a 9 is honestly weird. Thing just released so suddenly. Feels honeymoon-ish.

Not that I disagree with the score. I did not play that enough, but it still comes off weird. Higher than RE2? Dunno.
How does it releasing out of nowhere make it different than other games and their honeymoon period?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany

Not that I disagree with the score. I did not play that enough, but it still comes off weird. Higher than RE2? Dunno.

For what it wants to be, a AAA F2P Battle Royal shooter, it's near perfect. For what exactly do you want to give it minus points? That it doesn't have a story mode?
You have to look at each game as its own thing and can't just say "Higher than RE2? Come on.."

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
For what it wants to be, a AAA F2P Battle Royal shooter, it's near perfect. For what exactly do you want to give it minus points? That it doesn't have a story mode?
You have to look at each game as its own thing and can't just say "Higher than RE2? Come on.."

No I see, I don't mind that it doesn't have a story mode(I was very happy when Overwatch was properly awarded back then), I just think people barely digested the game. Eh maybe I'm wrong.

How does it releasing out of nowhere make it different than other games and their honeymoon period?

For the other games we've been seeing them a lot before release, and many of them get demoes either at venues or downloadable, so there is actually plenty of time to see the games, understand the mechanics, form expectations, etc.

It could be not that different, but it's not really the same, at least I don't think so myself. I think that, if Apex was shown before release by say a year, chances are higher for it to get a lower score.

Dyergram

Nov 26, 2017
YIKES.
So does this mean there are more reviews that the OP hasn't accounted for? Or do we have to wait until the next issue? Admittedly I'm pretty unfamiliar with their reviews and Edge in general.
There's no more reviews in the issue sorry for the confusion that was my prediction of their score based on other impressions and general word of mouth.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I mean, I can't speak for the entirety of all the games they've scored but looking at the 21 games that received a 10 from the magazine, there's no indicator of bias toward EU developers.
I also always find people using LBP as an argument towards Edge being biased towards EU/Brit/Media Molecule/Sony/whatever to be strange, seeing as it received super high scores across the board when it came out.

The only MM-property game they've scored against the consensus was LBP3 and even then it wasn't egregiously different (a 9 compared to 79 MC)

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I'm just immediately suspicious of the Apex review. I tihnk it's a great game but given the lead in time to get the magazine out there I struggle to see the reviewer having more than a couple of days to play the game after it launched.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Wargroove doesn't deserve much more than 6. It's a 4-5 in my book. Lots of content, but a super shallow strategy game; it's more die and retry than anything else. And the game let's me kill humans, but not the dogs. That's -1 for me. Just let me kill those fucking beasts of the devil.

Oct 30, 2017
I also always find people using LBP as an argument towards Edge being biased towards EU/Brit/Media Molecule/Sony/whatever to be strange, seeing as it received super high scores across the board when it came out.

The only MM-property game they've scored against the consensus was LBP3 and even then it wasn't egregiously different (a 9 compared to 79 MC)

that argument has always been absurd. they gave haze 4/10 a month or two after it was on the cover.

JCADX

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly, i think giving Apex Legends a 9 is not right, compared with other BR games lacks modes, maps and variants at the moment. This will change, for sure, but right now we have a good core that can be expanded. It will be an obsolete review in the near future.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
8 (which is a good score, don't misunderstand me) for GOAT horror game while Battle Royale of the Week gets a 9, lol.

Come on now.
What? Apex is a top tier BR shooter and the pinging system alone is innovative and I might even say revolutionary. It's made my gaming experience so much more positive to literally every other BR out there. Plus it's free. It earned that 9, it does what it does well compared to its competitors and improves upon them. We'll be seeing that pinging system in other games.

Also Resident evil 2 remake is not the GOAT, that's Resident Evil 4. Plus the VO being terrible as well as the Sewer section being bad are legitimate complaints. Do you remember pointing and hacking fans? Resident Evil 2 is good at what it does, especially as a re-imagining of a classic.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The 8 just brought down Resident Evil 2. Utter bullshit, considering they gave Apex a 9