• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Judgment - 6
Observation - 8
Rage 2 - 6
Void Bastards - 8
Team Sonic Racing - 6
Outer Wilds - 9
Blood and Truth - 8
Astrologaster - 8
Shakedown Hawaii - 7

Making of Slay the Spire
Studio Profile is Sony London
Time Extend is Dragons Dogma

Main Feature is Watchdogs Legion

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Pretty low scores for TSR and Judgment. They must have a beef against SEGA lmao

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not at all surprised at that Outer Wilds score- that was always a game that Edge would appreciate.

What's on the cover?

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Ah, it's Edge day - look forward to reading mine when I get in today. Feels like it'll be a pretty quiet thread this time round given the titles reviewed and scores given.

Glad to see they like Observation and The Outer Wilds.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna see eye to eye with them on that Judgment score... if the story is on par with the typical Yakuza game, it's already at least a 7. And a lot of people who've already played the Japanese version are comparing it favorably to Yakuza 0, which is 9-10 range.

Porky

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Mar 16, 2019
That is a very generous score for Void Bastards.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Not surprised by the Judgement score after hear Jim Sterling lukewarm reaction, given he is a massive Yakuzu fan.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I played and loved Judgment, but it's basically just another Yakuza game. The score makes sense.

That doesn't make sense if that's their reasoning. If the game is great, it shouldn't get a 6 because it's "just another" game in the series.

I would hope/assume they had actual reasons beyond that.

How do they usually review Yakuza games?

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Awesome score for blood and truth. I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Should have it completed by this weekend.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
I didn't realise Judgement was out? I thought the Yakuza developers had to rescind all the copies and all that because of an actor being caught doing cocaine?

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Judgment seems low, would of expected at least 7 from edge but guess there not that big of a fan of the Yakuza style games.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna see eye to eye with them on that Judgment score... if the story is on par with the typical Yakuza game, it's already at least a 7. And a lot of people who've already played the Japanese version are comparing it favorably to Yakuza 0, which is 9-10 range.
Judgement ain't no where near zero.

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
That doesn't make sense if that's their reasoning. If the game is great, it shouldn't get a 6 because it's "just another" game in the series.

I would hope/assume they had actual reasons beyond that.

Diminishing returns is a very real thing. Something can be of a similar quality to previous iterations but if you're multiple games in then ennui will inevitably be a factor in how much you enjoy it.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Previous RGG Studio scores from Edge for comparison:

Yakuza 6 A Song of Life - 8/10
Yakuza 2 - 8/10
Yakuza - 8/10
Yakuza Kiwami 2 - 7/10
Yakuza 5 - 7/10
Yakuza 4 - 7/10
Yakuza 3 - 6/10
Fist of the North Star - 6/10

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
As somebody who is getting judgement I can see this game getting a 6. Its the same formula as all the other yakuza games and in kamurocho for 10th time. It's highly recycled and yakuza formula has been the same since 2005. I know I'm going to still enjoy it though.

Last edited:

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Judgement ain't no where near zero.
Maybe not. But to be fair, neither is the rest of the Yakuza series... or at least the ones I've played (Kiwami, Kiwami 2, 4, and 5)

I'm just going off of what I've heard... most Yakuza fans who've played it seem to have extremely glowing opinions of it, even if they don't think it reaches quite the same high as 0.

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Offtopic but since judgment would be out in less than a day for those who pre order it on psn anyone would make an OT about it?

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Maybe not. But to be fair, neither is the rest of the Yakuza series... or at least the ones I've played (Kiwami, Kiwami 2, 4, and 5)

I'm just going off of what I've heard... most Yakuza fans who've played it seem to have extremely glowing opinions of it, even if they don't think it reaches quite the same high as 0.
The story is great. Everything else is either worse or the same as before. So I can see that score

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017
I realize that I'm in the minority but I just can't see how Void Bastards is getting all these 8's. I found it fine for the first few hours until I realized that I am doing the same stuff over and over again. After that every play session was 10-30 minutes, because of the repetition.

OP
OP
Zem

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
They loved Kamorocho and the changes made to it, liked the story, didn't like the main character as much and he didn't elevate himself like Kiryu would, everything that is Yakuza about the game (which is a lot according to them) they liked, all the detective stuff was not good with the trailing missions getting called out in particular.

It seems they liked the game but it was too similar to Yakuza with a worse main character and the new detective mechanics not being much good.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
They loved Kamorocho and the changes made to it, liked the story, didn't like the main character as much and he didn't elevate himself like Kiryu would, everything that is Yakuza about the game (which is a lot according to them) they liked, all the detective stuff was not good with the trailing missions getting called out in particular.

It seems they liked the game but it was too similar to Yakuza with a worse main character and the new detective mechanics not being much good.

Yeah that's kind of bummer then. I hoped the detective mechanics would be good, but it seems like it is just another addition to yakuza style games with tons of reused assets and stuff.

Oct 25, 2017

It sounds like the reviewer would have liked it better if it was less different from the main Kiryu-led Yakuza series.

R.I.P

Oct 30, 2017
Not surprised by the Judgement score after hear Jim Sterling lukewarm reaction, given he is a massive Yakuzu fan.

That was Jim's impression after just the 1st chapter which is basically a tutorial in Yakuza games, he later said that the game picks up immediately after that and gets really good.
Personally I'm not worried at all about the quality, if Judgement is "just another Yakuza game" it will likely be one of my favorites this year.