• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shawn6661

Oct 27, 2017
edge340lij83.jpg

Reviews:

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - 7
Planet Zoo - 8
Pokémon Sword and Shield - 7
COD: Modern Warfare - 6
Monomals - 8
Manifold Garden - 8
Concrete Genie - 6
Superliminal - 8
Lonely Mountains: Downhill - 7
Mosaic - 3

The Making of : Sayanara Wild Hearts

Studio Profile : Pirate Software

Time Extend : The Sims

The Long Game : Red Dead Redemption 2 (PC)

Credits to rllmuk.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017
They weren't very positive about death stranding in the preview last issue. I think they described it as 'meta commentary on the idea that video games need to be fun'

OP
OP
Shawn6661

Shawn6661

Oct 27, 2017
Updated with scores and features.

Can a mod change the title to : "EDGE 340 : Overwatch 2, Stadia, Analogue Pocket, Diablo IV, SWJ:FO, COW:MW, Planet Zoo" ? Thanks in advance.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Didn't notice this when creating the duplicate thread - copying over previous Edge reviews for mainline Pokemon and post-2007 CoD games here for reference

Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee - 7
Sun/Moon - 8
Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire - 8
X/Y - 8
Black/White - 7
Diamond/Pearl - 8
Ruby/Sapphire - 8

Black Ops III - 7
WWII - 7
Infinite Warfare - 7
Black Ops 3 - 7
Advanced Warfare - 8
Ghosts - 7
Black Ops II - 8
Modern Warfare 3 - 9
Black Ops - 7
Modern Warfare 2 - 9
World at War - 6
Modern Warfare (2007) - 9

No Death Stranding review on the cover, was hoping they decided to review it
The preview for DS in the previous issue did say to expect a full review this time round but the reviewer's tweets at the embargo suggested that they wouldn't be doing that. If we don't see a review in 341 then I don't think they'll review it at all.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Updated with scores and features.

Can a mod change the title to : "EDGE 340 : Overwatch 2, Stadia, Analogue Pocket, Diablo IV, SWJ:FO, COW:MW, Planet Zoo" ? Thanks in advance.
Not sure if you've done it already but the fastest way to change a thread title is to report your own post, otherwise mods might not see the request.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Death Stranding's metascore really dodged a bullet with EDGE deciding not to review it.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Death Stranding haters got so excited for a moment. Talking about it more than the games that actually got reviewed.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I guess they couldn't get through DS then, a game so bad they couldn't even review it? Jeez.

Mine should be here today, looking forward to the Sayanara piece as that's one of my favourite games this year.

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
Did they? Because it would contradict with their previous reviews. Like, EDGE gave Everybody's Gone to the Rapture 9/10 and that game wasn't "fun" (gameplay-wise).

Something can not be 'fun' and still be compelling/not tedious.

As for the Death Stranding review, the editor's already confirmed it'll be reviewed next issue in that thread link in the OP.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
They weren't very positive about death stranding in the preview last issue. I think they described it as 'meta commentary on the idea that video games need to be fun'

Which is weird, because it's a game I've had immense fun with. Like, I understand the distinction between a game being engaging but not necessarily fun, and being more traditionally fun, but I would absolutely describe it as being traditionally fun in the moment to moment gameplay. I mean, it's engaging too with its beautiful landscapes, musical score, and surrealism, but there's a lot of traditional fun to be had.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
oh, decent score for sw/sh. i expecred worse.
i should check out the article about sayonara wild hearts, glad it's getting so much attention.

Death Stranding's metascore really dodged a bullet with EDGE deciding not to review it.
yup. was looking like a 4 or 5 based on the tweets from the writer.
edit: oh, looks like the review will be in the next issue.

Last edited:

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
The decision to skip Death Stranding rubs me the wrong way for some reason. They have every right not to review a game if they don't feel like it, but even if they see Death Stranding as a failed meta commentary, it still seems odd to skip a game that attracts this amount of attention and coverage. Skipping a review of such an ambitious game, regardless of what you think of the result, presumably due to "well, I wasn't having any fun with it" seems bizarre coming from one of the last truly impactful traditional gaming magazines out there.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
The decision to skip Death Stranding rubs me the wrong way for some reason. They have every right not to review a game if they don't feel like it, but even if they see Death Stranding as a failed meta commentary, it still seems odd to skip a game that attracts this amount of attention and coverage. Skipping a review of such an ambitious game, regardless of what you think of the result, presumably due to "well, I wasn't having any fun with it" seems bizarre coming from one of the last truly impactful traditional gaming magazines out there.
It will be reviewed in the next issue with Shenmue 3

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Seems about fair for CoD. I'm happy enough it had a decent campaign again but looking back I only really liked one or two missions. The others felt a bit too safe and by the numbers.

Death Stranding haters got so excited for a moment. Talking about it more than the games that actually got reviewed.

It is a bit weird. They never seem to post in the games they constantly follow OTs either so you know they never had any intentions of playing the games they spend so much time in the review threads for. Always seems to be the same few posters too.

They must get excited by getting those oofs and faux concern in there.

Dec 2, 2017
Did they? Because it would contradict with their previous reviews. Like, EDGE gave Everybody's Gone to the Rapture 9/10 and that game wasn't "fun" (gameplay-wise).
I have the issue here

Indeed, at times we wonder whether Kojima has set out to make an arch sort of meta-satire on the concept of games being fun.

But they also said

Even when it is boring, it is still somehow interesting, we have never played anything quite like it before, it is a game we keep finding ourselves thinking about during idle moments away from it. Whether these are compliments, we're not sure.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The lack of a review for DS this far out from release is more damning than any score they could give barring a 1-3.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
as of right now Sword and Shield is lower than Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee, making it the lowest rated non-sequel Pokemon game.

If counting sequels, it's tied with Pokemon BW2 and the only one below those is Pokemon Emerald

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
As for the Death Stranding review, the editor's already confirmed it'll be reviewed next issue in that thread link in the OP.

The only thing I can see about this in the magazine is them replying to a readers letter saying "we'll get back to it eventually, and when we've delivered all of Norman's parcels, we'll deliver our verdict".

I wouldn't count on it being in next months, and I wouldn't even be surprised if it just gets left.