• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MaffewE

Feb 15, 2018
The issue isn't actually out until next week... but I feel the cover is worthy of admiration before then.

Contents:
(taken from here, where you can order the issue if you so wish)

PREVIEWS
Wanted: Dead
Hindsight
Thymesia
Echostasis
The Pale Beyond
Old Skies
Moonlight In Garland.

REVIEWS
Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course - 9
Hardspace: Shipbreaker - 9
The Centennial Case: A Shijima Story - 7
Evil Dead: The Game - 5
Vampire: The Masquerade – Swansong - 4
Sniper Elite 5 - 7
Silt - 6
Card Shark - 8
Loot River - 5
The Last Clockwinder - 8

FEATURES
Chalice In Wonderland

How Studio MDHR fused vintage games and cartoons to create a modern sensation in Cuphead.

Collected Works: John Romero
The master of Doom weighs up the fruits of nearly 40 years designing and coding games.

Reel Life
Ten years on, we discuss the impact of Indie Game: The Movie with its creators and subjects.

The Making Of…
From small-town America to the outskirts of London: the dramatic journey that gave us Last Stop.

Studio Profile
How Creative Assembly has preserved its identity while becoming the UK's biggest studio.

Time Extend
Why BioWare's original Mass Effect is one of gaming's most masterful acts of scene setting.

Last edited:

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
It looks fantastic!
FU0LK3TWAAAGXwN

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Echoing the sentiments that the art is fantastic.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Exclusive reviews? What.

Great cover art. Hope to see this at SGF or the Xbox show.

OP
OP

MaffewE

Feb 15, 2018
I think the exclusive review is more a condition of the current climate for print media, and the game coming out exactly in the middle of one of Edge's four week cycles.

The magazine comes out on the 16th June, and the game isn't released for two weeks after that - if they held off until after release, it'd be two weeks after. With the majority of outlets being online nowadays, and hence able to publish any time, they could be a week later and still be a week ahead of release date.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Gorgeous cover.

From afar/the thumbnails gave me Beano/Dandy vibes, not the same artstyle obv. but the colour tones.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Woah, I usually read Edge through Apple News + but I might have to track down a physical copy of this, that cover is sweet.

Bananastand

Oct 26, 2017
So do we know how to access this dlc? I hope it is a separate game because I quit playing at the final boss and no way in hell I can go back and beat that now.

Apr 24, 2018
Has it ever been confirmed if the DLC is standalone or not? The answer effects which platform I'll buy it for (own Cuphead on my Switch but would prefer not to double dip to play on my XSX).

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
So do we know how to access this dlc? I hope it is a separate game because I quit playing at the final boss and no way in hell I can go back and beat that now.

You'll be able to access the new DLC content from about halfway through the first Island. I believe you only need to technically beat one level to gain access to the DLC.

Has it ever been confirmed if the DLC is standalone or not? The answer effects which platform I'll buy it for (own Cuphead on my Switch but would prefer not to double dip to play on my XSX).

The DLC is not stand alone. It's integrated into the base game. We did this so that you can use the new DLC weapons/charms/character in the base game as well as carry over all of your base game stuff into the DLC content.

Apr 24, 2018
You'll be able to access the new DLC content from about halfway through the first Island. I believe you only need to technically beat one level to gain access to the DLC.

The DLC is not stand alone. It's integrated into the base game. We did this so that you can use the new DLC weapons/charms/character in the base game as well as carry over all of your base game stuff into the DLC content.
Thank you for confirming! Guess I'll be dusting off my Switch, then.

Shawn6661

Oct 27, 2017
The scores (according to rllmuk) :

Sniper Elite 5 - 7
Silt - 6
Card Shark - 8
Loot River - 5
The Last Clockwinder - 8

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I've been meaning to try Hardspace: Shipbreaker out since hearing the Nextlander crew talking about it so much. Great score!

It's on PC Game Pass for any folks with subs for that.

novashibe

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
Edge has always had fantastic covers, glad to see this is no exception - can someone confirm or deny that this is the first time they've actually changed the logo up for a cover?

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I should probably pick this game back up. I got to the last level and couldn't beat it but this will likely pull me back in again

Scores
OP
OP

MaffewE

Feb 15, 2018
Now added the scores to post one...

REVIEWS
Sniper Elite 5 - 7
Silt - 6
Card Shark - 8
Loot River - 5
The Last Clockwinder - 8

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Now added the scores to post one...

REVIEWS
Sniper Elite 5 - 7
Silt - 6
Card Shark - 8
Loot River - 5
The Last Clockwinder - 8
Here are the review blurbs.

Cuphead: The Last Delicious Course
"That past half-decade, then, was evidently time well spent. Barring one or two lingering frustrations, where certain randomised elements combine to produce inescapable hazards, this feels like Cuphead distilled: an amalgamation of the best bits of the base game, with few of its shortcomings. Naturally, it's an exhilarating showcase of the Moldenhauers' breathtaking art and animation, which toys with perspective and scale to a degree beyond the original - it's almost worth the price of entry to simply watch someone else play - but the many tiny refinements and quality-of-life improvements mean it's worth steeling yourself for a new challenge. That titular adjective, in other words, is not misplaced: with each boss delivering the 'high-class bout' promised by the announcer, this helping of afters is anything but an afterthought." [9]

Hardspace: Shipbreakers
"Who's got time for attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion when you're a billion credits in the red? Whatever your feelings on unionisation, Hardspace's unspoken challenge is to separate yourself from your employment and preserve your curiosity about that wider universe, which extends to gathering banned audio logs about the solar system's history, and, later, putting aside components for a ship of your own. It all adds up to a remarkable mixture of emotions, seldom encountered in a commercial videogame: kinetic thrill and the satisfaction of optimising your time, but also mounting claustrophobia, empathy for co-workers, and a sense that somewhere out among the stars there's a kinder society waiting to be riveted together." [9]

The Centennial Case
"The resulting journey is likely to speak louder to armchair detectives than more hands-on keyboard sleuths, and on those terms The Centennial Case is a success: it's handsomely shot, produced and scored, solidly acted, and boasts some late revelations that recontextualise the previous ten hours in notable ways (albeit during an epilogue so long even Kojima would get fidgety). And if the technical art of detecting is not as fully represented as it is in other games, the team's affection for mysteries and those who weave them is infectious enough to earn this a minor mention on the chronology of crime." [7]

Evil Dead: The Game
"Empowerment has always been an important part of this series, much more than most horror films - just think of the 'groovy' tooling-up montage in Evil Dead 2 - but when it's applied to both sides, you can end up with an entry-level Deadite that goes down in two hits or an identical one that seems to be made of brick.

Neither option is satisfying, for either party, and it undermines the sense - so carefully established by the game's presentation and premise - that Evil Dead: The Game understands its source material. Then again, perhaps it's not the film part that it's struggling to adapt here, but rather the peculiar subgenre of games in which it has to exist. We'd suggest it might be time to lay the Dead By Daylight formula to rest, but you know how these things go in horror movies: it'd only rise again as soon as our backs were turned." [5]

Vampire: The Masquerade: Swansong
"For all that it has the foundations of an absorbing player-authored story, Vampire: The Masquerade: Swansong too often feels like a predetermined narrative that's indifferent to your involvement. It lacks the scope to let you fail and commit to that failure, and the characters to make their choices affecting. Much like its previous game The Council, Big Bad Wolf has crafted an ambitious setup with many interlocking systems, only to stumble in the execution. Which, when you're a vampire, is hardly ideal." [4]

Sniper Elite 5
"Admittedly, Sniper Elite 5 hasn't jettisoned all of the series' baggage. Enemy AI, while tenacious, can often get tripped up by their surroundings, funnelling themselves through bottlenecks. Multiple functions being bound to the same button often leads to moments of frustration, particularly when the difference between accidentally searching a body and picking up a weapon can be life or death. And while traversal options have been expanded, it remains annoyingly easy to climb the wrong surface in the heat of the moment, thanks to the auto-platforming mechanics. None of this, however, is sufficient to stall the momentum as the game progresses towards an ending explosive enough to make Michael Bay blush.

Rebellion's not reinventing the wheel, then, but there's an admirable clarity of focus here from a studio clearly confident in its handiwork. And in the moments when we clear out encampments undetected, picking off targets with a silenced Welrod pistol, it feels like Fairburne has earned his nickname - even as a small even as part of us is waiting for the next moment a mistake belies it." [7]

Silt
"Silt remains grimly unsettling, and there's a sprinkling of ingenuity in many of its puzzles, but it's not as powerful as it promises to be. Somehow, despite holding the ingredients in hand, it stops short of conjuring the abyssal terror of descending into an inky unknown. Nor is it quite as visceral or surprising as Limbo once was. As the jaws of some monstrosity clamp shut on us again, the chills give way to irritation. Not that we can blame the hungry creatures: just like them, we'd like a little more to chew on." [6]

Card Shark
"Death is not the end, however, or not immediately - you can pay to return to the land of the living, or attempt to play your way back from the afterlife. But try to cheat death and fail, and the consequences will be permanent.

It's a smart way of increasing the tension in a game that feels high-stakes even before the opening bet reaches three figures. If Nerial doesn't perhaps interrogate the moral dimension of cheating as closely as it might, it amply demonstrates the dangers of not playing fair – partly by pitting you against characters 1 who have underhand strategies of their own. The result is a game that regularly catches you off-guard, and yet, like a cheat on the verge of being found out, it knows not to outstay its welcome. Indeed, it's not until the end that it dawns on us that we've essentially been playing a game composed of (admittedly elaborate, handsomely presented) quick-time events. That, perhaps more than the two dozen or so you get to master over the course of seven hours, is Card Shark's most extraordinary trick of all." [8]

Loot River
"Every now and then, there's a flash of ingenuity. A boss with the power to manipulate blocks en masse, slamming half the room left and right as you duel; collectable modifiers that let you set some rules for how the next world will be pieced together. But generally, that daring collision of genres that fired the imagination? You'll understand why no one has dared to try it before, and most likely never will again." [5]

The Last Clockwinder
"From a room with catapults and lilypads, used to bounce fruit into a large receptacle, to the wonderful contraption you use to move between rooms (which involves plugging a cable into a reflective globe before pulling a lever to bring your destination to you), it's consistently playful. And we experience an odd swell of pride as we watch our automata at work, marvelling at these Heath Robinson arrangements for which we're entirely responsible. Sure, it's a feeling occasionally tinged with squirming embarrassment as we recognise our very human failings in the robots' movements, such as the odd ungainly stretch to retrieve an errant throw. But that only serves as a reminder of how valuable our input has been: without our efforts, all would be lost. Turns out we're not obsolete just yet." [8]

Last edited:

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Only 4 for Swansong huh. Just read a review in local gaming magazine giving it 89 and was about to wishlist it. Don't know how much being a big fan of the IP influenced the score, but I guess I'll need to read some more reviews. I was excited for Council too (their previous game), but I dropped the game rather early as the writing didn't work for me that well.

Edit: Gameinformer calls it this year's Forgotten City. Wishlisting it now and picking it up on sale then.
Edit2: Actually it seems like I'll be left waiting for a Steam release.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Only 4 for Swansong huh. Just read a review in local gaming magazine giving it 89 and was about to wishlist it. Don't know how much being a big fan of the IP influenced the score, but I guess I'll need to read some more reviews. I was excited for Council too (their previous game), but I dropped the game rather early as the writing didn't work for me that well.

Edit: Gameinformer calls it this year's Forgotten City. Wishlisting it now and picking it up on sale then.
Edit2: Actually it seems like I'll be left waiting for a Steam release.

Reviews, in general, have been very split on that one.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Oh that's a great cover!

Interested in Shipbreaker, but only Xbox & PC so far?

Bunkem

Prophet of Truth
Aug 25, 2021
That cover is incredible, might actually pick up a copy for the first time in years.

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019
My copy just arrived today — I don't know if they improved their European shipping methods, but I'm glad I didn't have to wait a full month for it. It's pretty slick, with a glossy cover on a rougher paper than usual. I'd say it's worth a buy just for the object itself.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
My copy just arrived today — I don't know if they improved their European shipping methods, but I'm glad I didn't have to wait a full month for it. It's pretty slick, with a glossy cover on a rougher paper than usual. I'd say it's worth a buy just for the object itself.

Yeah, even here in Canada I got it way earlier than expected.