• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
#374 came in the mail today. It's a Hype special with 100 games previewed. Looks like a good 'un.

Hype:
  • Final Fantasy XVI
  • Starfield
  • Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Street Fighter 6
  • The Callisto Protocol
  • etc.

Features:
  • End of Innocence: Picture-postcard views meet horrifying violence in expansive sequel A Plague Tale: Requiem
  • Mind Games: Explaining the complexities of videogames' impact on the mental health of their players
  • The Making of Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Studio Profile: Draknek & Friends
  • Time Extend: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

Play:
  • Neon White (PC, Switch) - 9
  • Diablo Immortal (Android, iOS, PC) - 4
  • Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes (Switch) - 7
  • The Quarry (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series) - 7
  • Air Twister (iOS) - 7
  • Drainus (PC) - 8
  • Floppy Knights (PC, Xbox One, Xbox Series) - 5
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge (PC, PS4, Switch, Xbox One) - 7
  • Poinpy (Android, iOS) - 9
  • Mario Strikers: Battle League Football (Switch) - 5

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Can confirm that Neon White and Poinpy are, indeed, solid gold.

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has played an extensive amount of Strikers Battle League, that score checks out on the Edge scale.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Poinpy only a 9? Edge really is a tough critic to please

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
This has been such a good year for indie games, maybe my favorite.

Tunic, Citizen Sleeper and Neon White? Whewwwwww

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Poinpy and Neon White are rightly GOTY contenders. Such great games.

Never heard of Drainus before, will check it out.

tophu

Oct 27, 2017
lmao Mario Strikers, that's gotta be one of the lowest scored Nintendo games ever.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Is it possible to play Poinpy without a Netflix sub? I love Downwell but I don't really want to sign up for a service I don't want for the sake of a single mobile game.

lmao Mario Strikers, that's gotta be one of the lowest scored Nintendo games ever.

Diablo is probably the lowest Blizzard score.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
WTF at TMNT? A 7? Idk what they were expecting, but DOTEMU absolutely knocked it out of the park on what it was doing and threw the entire kitchen sink in. It's easily at least a 9 for me.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
Poinpy is excellent, well-deserved score. Also pleasantly surprised by their Three Hopes score, though I don't know what they traditionally rate musou-type games.

Starfield coverage? Couldn't they just re-run their NMS coverage with an ugly filter to save some time? /s obviously

Hazuki_X

Dec 11, 2021
What was said in the review about TMNT? I kind of agree with that score, it's really lacking compared to streets of rage 4 in the gameplay department and attacks feel really weak in general

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
What was said in the review about TMNT? I kind of agree with that score, it's really lacking compared to streets of rage 4 in the gameplay department and attacks feel really weak in general
Praise for the combat system. But starts to feel thin.

"While it again reinforces publisher Dotemu's reputation for masterful reinvention, the result this time isn't the clinical finesse of Streets Of Rage 4, it's a raucous celebration that extends an invitation to all."

"To counter them you're handed a combat system that places knockabout destruction above the concerns of baiting and corralling enemies. The game-changer is a lengthy dodge-roll that can be chained into a lunging attack, closing screen-wide gaps in an instant. Coupled with running charge and slide moves, and a diagonal dive kick, you tip around at speed. This is simple but powerful innovation, removing decades-old genre shackles so you're free to let loose like, well, a teenage ninja."

"Yet after that initial sugar rush, Shredder's Revenge inevitably feels a little thin. Level-specific challenges and collectibles aren't much of a pull, while the more exacting Arcade mode is less suited to the gleeful chaos and reveals that 16 levels is rather too many for repeat plays, especially as the final act turns towards bland science-fiction settings. While Tribute Games has shown great expertise in extracting maximum flavour from its subject matter, then, alongside the TLC Shredder's Revenge could use some DLC. Until then, longevity rests largely on organising multiplayer sessions. Perhaps we should throw a party."

Hazuki_X

Dec 11, 2021
Praise for the combat system. But starts to feel thin.

"While it again reinforces publisher Dotemu's reputation for masterful reinvention, the result this time isn't the clinical finesse of Streets Of Rage 4, it's a raucous celebration that extends an invitation to all."

"To counter them you're handed a combat system that places knockabout destruction above the concerns of baiting and corralling enemies. The game-changer is a lengthy dodge-roll that can be chained into a lunging attack, closing screen-wide gaps in an instant. Coupled with running charge and slide moves, and a diagonal dive kick, you tip around at speed. This is simple but powerful innovation, removing decades-old genre shackles so you're free to let loose like, well, a teenage ninja."

"Yet after that initial sugar rush, Shredder's Revenge inevitably feels a little thin. Level-specific challenges and collectibles aren't much of a pull, while the more exacting Arcade mode is less suited to the gleeful chaos and reveals that 16 levels is rather too many for repeat plays, especially as the final act turns towards bland science-fiction settings. While Tribute Games has shown great expertise in extracting maximum flavour from its subject matter, then, alongside the TLC Shredder's Revenge could use some DLC. Until then, longevity rests largely on organising multiplayer sessions. Perhaps we should throw a party."
thank you! : )

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
We live in the world where the Fire Emblem Musou is more well received than Mario Strikers by not just gaming media as a whole, but even EDGE themselves
I'm not sure anyone predicted this Nintendo centric turn of events, probably right as well going by the test demo for Strikers.

I'd be interested to see what they have to say about floppy knights, I gave it a proper try on gamepass, loved the art direction, felt the gameplay loop had something to it, but found the game to ramp up hard fast, and it felt like you were limited by the chance of the draw in a genre that doesn't mesh well with that angle
There's not many reviews out there but others were pretty positive it seems.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'd be interested to see what they have to say about floppy knights, I gave it a proper try on gamepass, loved the art direction, felt the gameplay loop had something to it, but found the game to ramp up hard fast, and it felt like you were limited by the chance of the draw in a genre that doesn't mesh well with that angle
There's not many reviews out there but others were pretty positive it seems.
There is praise for the art but not for the strategising.

"But it also leads to a kind of reverse skeuomorphism. Your deck and discard pile take the form of a desktop folder and recycle bin icon, while playing a card depletes not a mana pool but a battery, of the kind you might nervously watch trickling down on the night bus home.

In both cases, there's never quite enough juice to go around. That deficit provides the grit of Floppy Knights' tactical decision-making, but might also be its biggest flaw. This is the kind of card battler whose action plays out on an Advance Wars-like grid. Every unit gets one free attack per turn but relies on cards for movement, which can often result in dead-end turns a handful of potent attacks dumped in the recycling because every enemy is out of reach, say, or a battery emptied to move Into position and then flee out of range after landing just a single, feeble hit.

Are we just building bad decks? Perhaps. But it's hard to go too far off-piste. Every deck (between 12 and 30 cards) must include five basic movement cards, which can't be subbed out for the more noteworthy and useful variants (move farther after attacking, or when leaving the cover of a forest) unlocked along the way. True, this is not unlike the vanilla attack and block cards that make up Slay The Spire's starter decks, but instead of the Roguelike structure of that game and its successors (which, like drafting in a traditional card game, force you to make the most of what you're given). Floppy Knights favours a CCG-like model, where you fill a binder with cards, then slot them in or out ahead of each game.

At least, that's the idea. In reality, with matches plodding along for up to half an hour, we end up finding a couple of safe (read: boring) decks that more or less pilot themselves, and stick with them. It's a problemt players of actual CCGs might well recognise, and one that's only exacerbated by the introduction of i tactical board. If this were a physical card game, we suspect it' be the kind people buy booster packs for sutely to admire the art within, and never to play with."