• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
20220905-145248.jpg

HYPE
Dead Island 2
Flock
Moonbreaker
Forever Ago
The DioField Chronicles
The Excavation of Hob's Barrow
Arcane Ascent

FEATURES
Cover feature: Crime of the Century (Hyenas)
Paper Trails (videogame cartography)
One More Turn (videogame compulsion loops)
The Making Of... Norco
Studio Profile: Broken Rules
Time Extend: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
The Long Game: The Last of Us Part I

REVIEWS
Saints Row: 4
Rollerdrome: 6
Hard West 2: 7
Two Point Campus: 8
Ooblets: 5
Soul Hackers 2: 5
Cult of the Lamb: 6
Hindsight: 8
Kirby's Dream Buffet: 7
South of the Circle: 6
Cursed To Golf: 8

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
12 hours into Soul Hackers 2 and I'm having a lot of fun. I hope sales are decent

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Oh hey, that reminds me to start Hindsight.

I can't wait for my copy, the making of NORCO sounds fascinating. And then read the Rollerdrome review, because while I love a lot of it, I can understand there being criticisms (just like with any game!).
www.resetera.com

Hindsight |OT| Objects In Life Are Closer Than They Appear OT

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1122700/Hindsight/ Platform(s): PC (Steam), Nintendo Switch, Mobile (Apple Store), Xbox, Playstation Demo: No Release Date: August 4th 2022, Xbox and Playstation: December 6th 2022 Genre: Adventure, Casual, Narrative Price: £11.99, 13,99€, $14.99 Player(s): 1...

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Cult of the Lamb is one of my favorite games this year, but a 6/10 is right on the money. If it gets some meaty content updates it'll be an all time classic, but it's got a ways to go

Kirby's Dream Buffet rules and I'm glad to see it get some love

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if the Soul Hackers team is the Etreian Odyssey team.
A lot of the EO team actually worked on SMTV. SH2 is mostly the team that worked on TMS, Devil Survivor and Radiant Historia, but with some staff from SMTIV/Apocalypse too.

Also a 5 is rough. I know it's average for Edge but it's also their lowest rated HD Megaten by a good bit: SMTV got a 7, P5 an 8, P4G a 9 and even the core team's previous game, TMS, got a 7.

12 hours into Soul Hackers 2 and I'm having a lot of fun. I hope sales are decent
So far they're not really. It came in below SMTIII HD in Japan, the UK and Spain, global Steam charts were better but still pretty weak. Maybe America saves it but so far it's not looking good. Kinda TMS all over again imo.

Last edited:

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Disagree with the Soul Hackers score. Just beat it not too long ago and it's definitely not a 5

Ganepark32

Nov 21, 2021
Oh a making of for Norco, looking forward to reading that one.

Rough month for review scores. Do think Rollerdrome is a little on the low side but not by much and while Cult of the Lamb was decent, the bugs/glitches bring it down and I can see that having impacted the score.

That Two Point Campus score is on point though. Another fantastic game by those devs. Hoping it won't be the last in that series. Curious about Hindsight as other review scores weren't so high so that'll be an interesting read.

HelloItsPulse

Dec 14, 2017
Rollerdrome and Cult of the Lamb are nowhere near a 6, but I guess when your magazine is only known for its "harsh" review scores you gotta do what you gotta do.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
It's not one of the standouts of the year, but it's solid. Charming farm sim with a unique monster collecting battle system. Seems like it did exactly what the devs sought out to do.
I find it too tedious and there's too much downtime when you have nothing to do and can't go sleep until morning. Plus your inventory is too small even with upgraded backpack. Great start but after that meh.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's an open world crime game that checks all that genre's boxes so unless you dislike that genre, no. Granted maybe the reviewer encountered some nasty bugs that wiped their progress or something. In that case a 4 is definitely warranted.
That's a real possibility. I find the game fun as hell but it shouldn't have released this buggy and not much has been fixed. i had to take a break from it because I'm sick of having soft locks every time I want to change my shirt for instance.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
That's a real possibility. I find the game fun as hell but it shouldn't have released this buggy and not much has been fixed. i had to take a break from it because I'm sick of having soft locks every time I want to change my shirt for instance.

Very true. I've had 3 soft locks in my first couple of hours so it's definitely a technical mess. Surprised we haven't gotten hotfixes for some of the blatant ones yet....

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
if you weren't really enjoying it though might you give it a 4?
I've enjoyed my time with the game and I can absolutely see it. Personally I dig a lot of the writing, characters and ideas (though not all of them are executed especially gracefully) and it reminds me a bit of the Watchdogs 2 crew (but WD2 is a much better game overall). I just don't think the core gameplay aspects are put to gether all that well.

I don't care for the combat design, the shooting feels weightless and never truly satisfying, driving around is fine-ish but it's not what I would to for fun and the missions are all structured the exact same way. The environments and story around it may be creative but what you end up doing (shooting a lot of dudes) isn't. There is even one mission that goes out of its way to establish a premise of not shooting stuff and I was kind of excited to see where they go with it but you get to the first event and it's immediately back to shooting stuff.

I did some of the sidestuff (of which there is a whole lot) and none of it is stuff I want to do more than a couple of times and most of it is copy/paste. There's a wingsuit but it's been a lot better in other games (e.g. Just Cause) and that's sort of generally my feeling in regard to most of it. It's been done better in other games. Add to that the technical issues and bugs and I can totally understand that score. I've had one progression breaking bug that I was able to get around after many, many tries and it almost made me stop playing.

All that being said, I generally did all the sidestuff I wanted and it was just enough to be able to steadily progress through the main story, I took breaks when I got bored of the mission design and had a pretty positive time that way overall. I wouldn't call it great or anything but I got it relatively cheap and don't regret it.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Edge are the only publication that actually use the full scale

love that from them.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

love that from them.
This kind of comment is so weird to me. Without even seeing the actual content of the reviews, you like that they just give lower scores than everyone else...just because? If Edge wasn't a print mag whose reviews come out weeks after every other publication then I doubt anyone would really care about their reviews any more than the rest of the bunch. I don't know why people put them on a pedestal for it.

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cult of the Lamb is one of my favorite games this year, but a 6/10 is right on the money. If it gets some meaty content updates it'll be an all time classic, but it's got a ways to go

It needs a lot of bug patching tbh. Game itself is fun but my cult became a glitchy mess as it grew in size. Cult members freeze, stop attending mass, stop tending gardens, etc.

love that from them.

Agree 100%. They don't use the typical 6-9 scale everyone else sticks with to the point a 7 is basically meaningless.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Think I'll pick this one up for the MP3 and Norco features.

I guess when your magazine is only known for its "harsh" review scores you gotta do what you gotta do.

I imagine only people who've never read it and compulsively fret over review aggregates think so.