• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 19739

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (2 months): Creating a troll thread about a God of War Ragnarok review score. Warned when doing the exact same thing for God of War 2018. Continuing to troll through PMs. Threadmaking privileges revoked.
Sorry for the pun in the title, I couldn't help it.

**Review has spoilers so I will try to avoid stating them but read at your own discretion**

I know individual review threads aren't really favored here but I thought this deserved its own thread since this is the lowest score the game has gotten and some people might be interested in knowing why.

The review mentions that there are a lot of good ideas in the game but some of them are not executed well. They praise the graphics and think it's one of the best looking games of the generation. The lighting effects are a stand out and the variety of the locations are impressive ranging from frozen lands, lush green areas and even a desert.

They aren't keen on how the game wants to have open world areas but everything is so segmented and feels like it's just there for fetch quests. There are lots of quests that seem like tasks to power up your arsenal. They did enjoy the traversal in some of the areas, particularly when the sled is involved and the sound it makes when its brushing against the different terrains.

The review also mentions how the story is ambitious but falls short of a homerun and ends up not really delivering. The game tries hard to drive home the idea that the rulers of the world are corrupt and will lead to the destruction of the world and the cycle of violence needs to end but the game still showcases the opposite in the actions of the characters, except at the very end. The review states that this was conveyed better in the 2018 God of War game. They did enjoy the themes about trying to find your place in the world and your connection to the past/future and how the legacy of your parents shouldn't shape who you are. Having two playable characters was a good idea and a nice change instead of constantly playing as a testosterone rage filled man and the reviewer is hopeful that the passing of the torch to the new generation will be a better change for the series and a more hopeful optimistic outlook instead of the endless cycle of violence that the series is known for.

The review mentions that the best gameplay moments were the ones in closed spaces and rooms allowing you to tackle multiple enemies at once and that's when the game shines, as opposed to big open environments (probably due to the over shoulder camera that doesn't really allow for big scale fights and it's tough to figure out where enemies are). The game also has too many minibosses and there are way too many walking moments in between fights with lots of Whedon-like dialogue and jokes that gets tiresome. It basically gets repetitive. There are also new annoying small enemies that you have to kill and they spawn everywhere. The review did however state there is a good amount of weapons and upgrades at your disposal.

I know many of you have played the game and fully finished it. 6 by Edge means 8 from most other outlets I guess. What do you guys think?

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
RIP people who actually give a shit about Metacritic. Oh no my precious product dropped a few points out of a hundred on an arbitrarily-weighted aggregator, however shall I go on, etc

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's Edge, I know more often than not I will ignore their reviews because I almost never agree with them but there's nothing wrong with the review and it's the reviewers opinion.

Gonzito

Banned
Apr 5, 2022
Spain
After finishing the game myself, I kinda agree with that score. The pacing and Atreus sections killed the game for me

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I generally feel both GoW 2018 and Ragnorak are overrated tbh, but I still think it'd be like a solid 8 for both. 6 seems pretty harsh, but I also can see the reasoning as well.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I'd say the game is an 8 that feels like a 6 so yeah I can see it

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Okay now I'm really looking forward to the next Edge thread that lists all the scores, there's gonna be some HIGH DRAMA in there for every game above 6.

I'm assuming this thread gets locked before any of the other scores roll in

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't know why people put Edge on a pedestal. If they weren't a print mag that puts out their scores weeks after everyone else then I honestly don't think anyone would care.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
It's a real mixed bag for me, there's a lot to admire and enjoy but for everything good I found something as equally annoying or flat. '18 is the better of the two imo.

I wouldn't go as low as 6 but 7 feels right to me. I understand why people would totally love it though as well, it's production quality is outstanding.

Sony's big 2 this year, this and Horizon:FW were both quite underwhelming and I don't want to play the next installments in this formula.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
We have an active review thread already. That aside, I do have some criticism regarding Ragnarok and I wouldn't give it a straight 10, between an 8 and 9 seems fine imo. Of course this is the reviewer from Edge's opinion, but it's always funny to me how 95% of the time, games I enjoy get a lower than expected review from them.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
The gamers are mad 😡😡😡😡😡

Who the fuck cares lmao
That's they opinion, you all can live

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The gates are open. Let the hate begin.

This reminds me of Jim Sterling's 7/10 review for BOTW.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There are valid criticisms of the game. The overall package was so good that I can overlook the issues. Not everyone will feel the same. Not sure why there is a thread for a single review.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
I agree with many of their points, specially how segmented the world is and the non stop chatter that was fucking too much for me.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't find anything unreasonable about that review or the other 6 from IGN korea.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Lower than I would have guessed from Edge. But honestly not that expected. The game is basically the polar opposite of what they like.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
I haven't played either of the modern GoWs, but my brother played through 2018 just this year and was like "omg it's shockingly good, you have to play it".

He picked up Ragnarok on launch and is much, much cooler on it. So this Edge review feels legit enough to me.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
Don't really know why Edge is put up on such a pedastal on this forum, i think i don't know a single writer that works for them and they also seemingly never get mentioned it's always the entity Edge.

That said, i can see that score for sure. I liked the Game more than that but it's an uneven experience that always implies and dabbles in interesting things but then never fully commits.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I really don't know why people put Edge on a pedestal. If they weren't a print mag that puts out their scores weeks after everyone else then I honestly don't think anyone would care.

Don't really know why Edge is put up on such a pedastal on this forum, i think i don't know a single writer that works for them and they also seemingly never get mentioned it's always the entity Edge.

It's an extremely highly respected magazine and has been for years, largely due to the quality of the writing and their in-depth features. They've always been known to be more critical than most but they've also earned their "pedestal" across three decades of publication.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
This is like the least shocking score ever from Edge. So I don't know why anyone would be surprised or upset? Their reviews are fairly predictable at this point.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
Edge is kind of correct on their critiques. But they underrate the core qualities of the combat here.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
People say this in every single Edge thread. The fact is that they are one of the oldest running publications and have earned a high degree of credibility. People here just don't like them because they score Sony games lower than average.

Status
Not open for further replies.