• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 2, 2017
Cover is for Somerville, features include Audiogames, a Collected Works on Jake Solomon, Studio Profile on One More Level.

Previews for Slitterhead, The Anacrusis, Forsaken, 99 Fails, Sea of Stars, Swordship, Death Trash, Horizon Call of the Mountain, Bomb Rush Cyberfunk, GigaBash, Chained Echoes, Nine Sols

Time Extend is on Lost Odyssey

Reviews

Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker - 8
GTFO - 8
Praey For The Gods - 4
Nobody Saves The World - 7
Windjammers 2 - 9
Below The Ocean - 7
Filmechanism - 7
Aeterna Noctis - 5
Dungeon Munchies - 4
page_1.jpg

Last edited:

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Curious about the FF14 review, namely because AFAIK EDGE has never reviewed ARR or any of the expansions until now.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I remember them reviewing ARR and gave it a 6.

*checks*

Oh they did! Weird, guess open critic didn't have that review. Now I'm curious if they missed the others as well.

Edit: They reviewed ARR, Stormblood, and this. From what I can tell. But didn't review Heavensward or Shadowbringers according to metacritic.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Interrsted in reading some of those previews.

Ouch at that Praey score.

And holy shit Windjammers! 9/10!

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Here comes my bi-monthly post where I say that Edge delivers painfully slow to Germany (still have not received the last issue yet and probably won't for another week or two).

At least I am in contact with them about it at the moment.

Oct 27, 2017
Do they review early access games or just preview until they're at 1.0? Interested to know more about The Anacrusis. Also oof at that score for Praey for the Gods.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if I understand this Windjammers 2 score. Core gameplay is great but the game is barebones as hell.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Endwalker only 8 and Windjammers 2 a 9?
Ok Edge lol.

Different reviewers (I guess) and different genres. An RPG doesn't make it so it has to score better than an arcade game. At the end you review a game for the strenghts it has and of course you have to take into consideration what genre it plays.

locke_21183

Banned
Jul 21, 2020
What critical points do they make about Aeterna Noctis? As a huge Metroidvania fan it keeps jumping on and off my wishlist.

OP
OP
It’s Time To Go
Dec 2, 2017
What critical points do they make about Aeterna Noctis? As a huge Metroidvania fan it keeps jumping on and off my wishlist.
They think it takes a lot of influence from hollow knight, to the extent of 'brazen mimicry' poor level geography, poor enemy AI, occasional lack of visual clarity, stuffed with filler, big game but boring, cheap boss fights, imprecise controls.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I love these threads so much because they give such great grounds for discussion, presenting a review score without any of the text, criticisms and arguments attached to it.

Zeel

Oct 27, 2017
Different reviewers (I guess) and different genres. An RPG doesn't make it so it has to score better than an arcade game. At the end you review a game for the strenghts it has and of course you have to take into consideration what genre it plays.

Windjammers 2 is not a 9 out of 10 game.

This, its not about one being an RPG and the other "just" an arcade game.
An 8 is a good score overall, even though Endwalker would deserve a bit more compared to all the other RPGs released in the last few years, but its fine.
Windjammers 2 though is really not a very good game compared to other arcade games, its fun for a bit, but its definitely more in the 6-7 area.

Scuttlefluff

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Gamers: I wish reviewers would explore the scale more and stop giving everything 9s and 10s.

Also gamers: I can't believe a game I like didn't get a 9 or 10.

Sure, I mean I'm not as butthurt as I might've seemed up there, don't generally put much stock in review scores overall and I know how Edge's scale works. Apologies if my post was too reactionary.

But also: IIRC they gave FFXII a ten. So it's not outside the realm of possibility.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Still hurts to hear about what happened to Pray for the Gods. (No, I'm not spelling it with an "ae"; fuck Bethesda's legal team forever for that dumbest of name changes.) All that time in development and it still fell flat. Was really hoping it could recapture some of that Shadow of the Colossus magic.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Gamers: I wish reviewers would explore the scale more and stop giving everything 9s and 10s.

Also gamers: I can't believe a game I like didn't get a 9 or 10.
Yup. Cant be an Edge review thread without people baselessly complaining about numbers. Edge usually writes good reviews, so Id be curious to see what they wrote for each of those games to see why they favour one more than the other. Then again, its all just personal opinion, which the Internet at large has a real problem with when it comes to reviews that dare be even just a point or two below the net average.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
Still hurts to hear about what happened to Pray for the Gods. (No, I'm not spelling it with an "ae"; fuck Bethesda's legal team forever for that dumbest of name changes.) All that time in development and it still fell flat. Was really hoping it could recapture some of that Shadow of the Colossus magic.
I saw images that it seems to read "prey"
Praey_for_the_Gods.jpg

What is this about the "ae" and the name change?

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I saw images that it seems to read "prey"
Praey_for_the_Gods.jpg

What is this about the "ae" and the name change?
The logo's fortunately still unchanged, but back in 2017, when Arkane's Prey was a new game, Bethesda contacted the devs of PftG and put immense amounts of legal pressure on them to change their game's name to "Praey". Cause, you know, people were totally going to confuse the two titles otherwise. /s

(Bethesda did this before with Mojang's "Scrolls", because of The Elder Scrolls. Another two IPs that precisely zero people were going to get mixed up.)

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Windjammers 2 is an almost perfect example of what it is.

Unless you want to argue that some genres should be inherently disallowed from getting high scores, it thoroughly deserves that score.

Fraxin

Oct 28, 2017
*checks*

Oh they did! Weird, guess open critic didn't have that review. Now I'm curious if they missed the others as well.

Edit: They reviewed ARR, Stormblood, and this. From what I can tell. But didn't review Heavensward or Shadowbringers according to metacritic.

Didn't realize they reviewed Stormblood until this post. They gave it an 8 and praised the story. Which is weird since most who played SB praised the gameplay and criticized the story as being weak to the extent that I read some posts saying ARR's story was better.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I think I need to read the text on why windjammers got a 9/10…

At a guess its because its a game that basically perfectly pulls off what it aims to do. In terms of the actual gameplay there's no issues and the only downside is the lack of modes.