• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
Whatever Million Onion Hotel is, it whooped all of the big name games.

Is it PC? Mobile? What is Million Onion Hotel??
it's mobile game created by Yoshiro Kimura (Rule of Rose, Little King's Story, Chulip, No More Heroes, etc.) – https://www.resetera.com/threads/to...-kimura-little-kings-story.9071/#post-1604308

iTuneshttps://itunes.apple.com/us/app/million-onion-hotel/id1225091207?mt=8
Google Playhttps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.oniongames.hotel

There's a massive 33 page Final Fantasy feature. If you're a fan of the series you'll want to buy this issue!
^ this is the most important part, btw

Last edited:

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
That Battlefront 2 score is ridiculous for the amount of love and artistry DICE put into the maps. Is the review focused on the bland campaign and EA's terrible business practices?

And yeah, a 7 is fair for Xenoblade 2.

It doesn't matter how gorgeous the map is or how well it's laid out if everything around it is a dumpster fire.

There are games I would give a 1/10 that I'm sure have a good song or nice animation.

30yearsofhurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I seriously do not understand the defense of EA in this instance. The game plays fine but it's unremarkable, and the loot box stuff is horrendous. Is it just a love of Star Wars or something?

The game plays fine but it's unremarkable, and the loot box stuff is horrendous.

Nah, nah forget it. It's officially "shit".

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Edge declaring war on MTX... Dope.

Reviews are consumer advisory articles, they can, and should reflect what they believe to be the best thing for the consumer. It doesn't matter if it's 'a solid game', if it's abuse to consumer interests, go HAM on that shit.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
That Battlefront 2 score is ridiculous for the amount of love and artistry DICE put into the maps. Is the review focused on the bland campaign and EA's terrible business practices?

EDGE gave Forza 7 and 8 so its not like they have a fundamental problem with lootboxes or other BS microtransactions, They did give Shadow of War a 6 but it doesn't sound like that had anything to do with the loot boxes either.

Deleted member 433

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Going to buy this issue just out of respect for those EA scores. Glad we're not going to let that shit slide and become the new norm.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
The score of EA's two flagship titles add up to some Million Onion Hotel game no one has even heard about.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Giant Bomb gave BF2 a 4 also. Don't recall quite the evisceration in Dan Ryckerts words but score was the same. Damn EA you really are f'ing it up right now.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
7 from EDGE is a very good score for XB2

BTW with only Zelda and Mario getting 10 this year it basically confirms one is their Goty right?

Digital

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
All 3 of EA's 2017 AAA titles bombed. All critically, and possibly all commercially. They ruined one of their IPs, possibly ruined (or just continued to shit on) another, and somehow managed to fumble the most rock solid sci-fi IP in any medium. Luckily they can keep preying on the easy sports market.

2018 is Anthem (a GaaS Destiny-style loot-based shooter -- should go smoothly), Battlefield (2?), and.... what else? They have no Star Wars games in the pipeline, Respawn won't have anything ready most likely, and there's nothing else they've been working on in the AAA space. Am I right?

Risev

Oct 27, 2017
I, for one, would gladly like to see more outlets making full use of the 10 points review scale if they already use that grading system. In the past decade, it really felt that the 0-10 scale was more of a 5-10 scale and in more extreme cases, a 7-10 scale. Using a proper scaling of the 10 points system, a 4/10 does not mean that the game is a broken mess, but rather that it functions well enough, but has some horrendous design decisions that undermines most of what works in the game, making it not worth playing.

A 5/10 should be a mediocre game that does equal amounts of good and bad.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
All 3 of EA's 2017 AAA titles bombed. All critically, and possibly all commercially. They ruined one of their IPs, possibly ruined (or just continued to shit on) another, and somehow managed to fumble the most rock solid sci-fi IP in any medium. Luckily they can keep preying on the easy sports market.

2018 is Anthem (a GaaS Destiny-style loot-based shooter -- should go smoothly), Battlefield (2?), and.... what else? They have no Star Wars games in the pipeline, Respawn won't have anything ready most likely, and there's nothing else they've been working on in the AAA space. Am I right?
They do have a Star Wars game, the Respawn one Stig is directing.

Loadout

Oct 26, 2017
Israel
Got to appreciate EDGE for not letting publishers pressure them, dropping 4s and 5s to the industries biggest titles without looking back.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love how uninflated these scores are. Nowadays it seems like 8s and 9s review scores are the norm, with 10 being 'pretty great in comparison' rather than 'perfect' or anything close.

Really wish more reviewers would follow suit here. Gives the scores some genuine value.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017

And yeah, a 7 is fair for Xenoblade 2.
Well, if Witcher 3 sometime get slammed over is combat mechanics, EA need to be slammed even more for this pratice. Well deserved.

And thumbs up for this Animal Crossing review. Its a game i drop after two days. Its nothing close to what Animal Crossing is about.It just give you the feeling its a Animal Crossing game.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Can you tell after one day?
I've played it for more than two weeks and an EDGE 7 is totally fair. It's a great game that can be very rough around the edges and is thus not quite what EDGE considers to be an 8 or above. I enjoy the game a lot, it's one of my favorite games this year even, but the score is fair.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

Battlefront 2, Need for Speed, Mass Effect, NBAlive, and their NHL game are all 71 or lower. Only Madden and Fifa are green. EA is the only AAA publisher that consistently puts out yellow metacritic games.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017

FIFA didn't bomb though (unfortunately since it has been a bad game for years now and people in Europe still support them year after year).

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, a publication that finally calls out shitty practices in a review score, and people complain.

No wonder they keep getting away with it.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, a publication that finally calls out shitty practices in a review score, and people complain.

No wonder they keep getting away with it.

Most of EAs games this year have bad review scores, but ironically the Lootboxes and pay2win dont seem to be a big factor, its just thay their games arent very good.

Forza 7 has a vey EA like business model but it has an 88 metacritic because the game is good.

EA is just a bad publisher.

Deleted member 21996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone curious about Million Onion Hotel should check our Sterling's Jimpressions. Worth buying just for those cut scenes!

Expected Edge to come good on the lootbox stuff. If only their readership had more reach though to make a big difference.

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017
Grinch stole the christmas scores. Man those are some harsh reviews but I'm not blaming the publication...

Pocket Camp, from what I've played is a really, reeally boring game. Never played Animal Crossing before but the game doesn't get me excited about the IP at all.

Deleted member 27211

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just downloaded and played Onion Hotel for 10 mins, pretty crazy puzzling very charming and the music is great.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
That's not how reviews work. Like at all. A game doesn't deserve anything, any score, it has to earn it. It doesn't matter if it's the most gorgeous game ever made with the most love ever put into a game, if the other elements coalesced to make it a miserable dud of an experience for the person playing

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Damnnn these games are getting ripped up big time by EDGE. Them 4s are well deserved though and from what I hear of animal crossing so is that 5 lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Games like BF2 have to be given a harsh score and review like this. Not only for EA, but for other major publishers/developers too, who're thinking of pulling similar shady shit.

If you think that's too low of a score because some people at DICE poured their love and soul into that game, then damn I'm happy you ain't reviewing anything.

It just screams blind fanboyism to me.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
4 seems fair for Star Wars and NFS, as far as multiplayer shooters and racing games go they are mildly below the current average set by their competitors this year.

I got the FFIX cover. Looks alright but wish I'd got the IV or VI, they look stunning.

Also, is it me or does this issue smell different from normal? The cover in particular is tasty enough to be bottled.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
Does Edge adjusting their scores for how shitty loot boxes are make other review outlets look bad or do most of them do similarly?