• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
Sad to see such a low score for Hidden Agenda. I'll have to check some other reviews, because it looks like a great date night game.

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
Scores like this are why I love Edge, A solid 7/8 from them means more than a 9/10 from other outlets to me... Anyways, I just since X got 7 and the original Xenoblade got a 9 that gives a good idea of where 2 stands. Just judging by the OP, I imagine that 2 is more structural sound than X, but the relatively lacking innovation causes it to be an equal with X.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Does Edge adjusting their scores for how shitty loot boxes are make other review outlets look bad or do most of them do similarly?
This review was probably ready 1-2 months ago. I assume this review happened, then the website had their review ready.

It still takes, at least a month, for magazine publishing? Then i would say, it's more like this: Edge does it's thing, for over a decade, and most other sites still grade on a flawed scale.

At least EA can say they got a 4/(5x2) on the box and make everything, except the 4 and the 5 small print or nearly translucent.

DragoonC

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Sweden
Edge telling it like it is in their reviews. Just because a game has a big budget and a big publisher behind it, shouldn't make it a 7-9 game.

EA has had a rough year

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scores like this are why I love Edge, A solid 7/8 from them means more than a 9/10 from other outlets to me... Anyways, I just since X got 7 and the original Xenoblade got a 9 that gives a good idea of where 2 stands. Just judging by the OP, I imagine that 2 is more structural sound than X, but the relatively lacking innovation causes it to be an equal with X.
i think 2 brings a lot of innovations but its all in the combat which was a weakpoint of 1 and while they did improve it a lot in x was still not among the best in the genre. 2 has a lot of variety due to the blade and driver system that allows incredible variety in character customization. i cant really comment on the story and the world yet but the world seems equivalent to x and 1... maybe not as connected as x but that remains to be seen. story is engaging with a lot more comedy compared to 1 and x (which were both really dark in tone) but with serious undertones so far. the character design is up to my alley as well (i understand that some people dont like anime so thats their loss i guess.).

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
If reviewers are going to start using their review scores to make simplistic political statements those scores will just become even more meaningless than they already were.

Need for speed and battlefront are getting bad reviews because the reviewers thought the games were bad, if they were standing up to microtransactions then forza 7 wouldnt have an 88 metacritic.

I disagree with this. I can't speak to the quality of Need for Speed, but the way reviewers have approached Battlefront seems to have been significantly affected by the public outrage against it. They're not exactly taking a noble stand here, hating on Battlefront is just regurgitating a meme at this point. People are lapping up content of all kinds that attacks Battlefront and EA regardless of its accuracy or fairness.

Last edited:

Deleted member 6733

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice, I was hoping Edge would be brutal with SWBF2 and they didn't let me down. Fair play to them, without doubt the best game reviewer around.

Impressed with the Xenoblade score.

Spedfrom

Oct 27, 2017
I'm as happy as any of you that EA has been dragged through the floor, but can I please get a summary of what that 36 page blowout on Final Fantasy is all about?? Is it the story DLC coming out in 2018??

TeamLeftMatch

Oct 25, 2017
If reviewers are going to start using their review scores to make simplistic political statements those scores will just become even more meaningless than they already were.

I honestly do not get what you're trying to say here?
Are you trying to say that the review purposely gave the games that score to send a message about lootboxes? Thats sounds incredibly unlikely and it's more that the review thought that the lootboxes within the game are bad and hurts the overall score.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I've played it for more than two weeks and an EDGE 7 is totally fair. It's a great game that can be very rough around the edges and is thus not quite what EDGE considers to be an 8 or above. I enjoy the game a lot, it's one of my favorite games this year even, but the score is fair.
An Edge 7 is the classic Chrono Trigger. :D

Oct 25, 2017
Don't sleep on Million Onion Hotel, ERA. It's really good and definitely deserves to be the highest ranked game out of that relatively sorry bunch!

Soulsis

Oct 25, 2017

I disagree with this. I can't speak to the quality of Need for Speed, but the way reviewers have approached Battlefront seems to have been significantly affected by the public outrage against it. They're not exactly taking a noble stand here, hating on Battlefront is just regurgitating a meme at this point. People are lapping up content of all kinds that attacks Battlefront and EA regardless of its accuracy or fairness.

Reviews exist for this purpose. They praise games that are good for the medium and criticize games that aren't. There's no such thing as objectively declaring how "good or bad" a game is anyway; they're just scoring a game's value for the player. Automatically deducting points to a game for explicitly distributing a problematic feature isn't unethical, wrong, or new.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Considering EDGE weight in Meta average, that review is going to drag BF2 Metascore further down into 60s.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
That Animal Crossing score is deserved.

I would like to see what EDGE think of Sonic Forces.

A 3/10 or 4/10 would be my guess. In line with Edge's stricter reviews compared to the other videogame review sites, Edge's reviews for Sonic games are usually a bit more critical than the others. Here is how past games have reviewed:

2006: 3/10
Secret Rings: 5/10
Unleashed: 6/10
Black Knight: 3/10
Sonic 4 (Epi 1): 6/10
Colors: 6/10
Generations: 5/10
Lost World: 4/10
Mania: 7/10

I think Sega not sending reviews codes prior to release pushed Forces down the priority list. We might see their review for the game in their February publication.

Last edited:

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree with that, for example they gave Skyward Sword 10/10, they gave Deus Ex Mankind Divided 9/10 and GTA IV 10/10, it's all right for them to have different opinions but I think they're still susceptible to getting over hyped and you won't hear them praise those games as classics nowadays.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

If they're relating to loot box progression systems, I actually think it makes the review considerably more valuable, not less, since as a consumer that side of things is extremely important to me.

Nov 11, 2017
I appreciate the backlash that will hopefully curb the use of loot boxes, but BF2 is still a very fun well-made game. It just has a terrible economy/progression system.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Is battlefront really that bad? If you're a star wars fan it seems like it would last for ages.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
Really happy with the return of Grumpy Elitist Edge.

Gaming needs an outlet that doesn't fuck around and doesn't have time for your bullshit

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017

If a mechanic directly effects how a game is made, the balance, especially in a PVP title then it's actually relevent to the review. It's not a political statement to warn people about the content of a game especially if it's intrusive or broken. You may disagree with the score, that's fine, I haven't played the game myself and have no opinion either way but to make a sweeping statement like this is a little inaccurate.

You may be right, they may have done it a lot because of internet outrage. Does that make their points wrong though?

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Good, EA deserve all the outrage and bad reviews for them using the IP of Star Wars as something to abuse and abuse the fans loyalty too. Loot boxes don't belong in ÂŁ60 games let alone tied to progression in the game.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017

I take it you've read the Edge reviews, then?

You wouldn't be making bold statements like this without anything to back it up, right?? Post a meaningless statement like that?

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate the backlash that will hopefully curb the use of loot boxes, but BF2 is still a very fun well-made game. It just has a terrible economy/progression system.
I wouldn't mind if all reviewers gave Battlefront 2 a 0/10, the product was so greedy and personally I find it morally questionable, that it's hard to appreciate the quality of the shooting mechanics or level design.

Keyframe

Oct 29, 2017
That Battlefront 2 score is ridiculous for the amount of love and artistry DICE put into the maps. Is the review focused on the bland campaign and EA's terrible business practices?

And yeah, a 7 is fair for Xenoblade 2.

If your idea of love and artistry is every map being two chokepoints where you shoot at a door till you die then yea bf2 is truly a product of love.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
4 seems fair. Not quite sure why the game doesn't get that type of score from other outlets, who say the game is bad yet give it a good score.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Those of you enjoying Million Onion Hotel would be advised to also have a look at Dandy Dungeon.