• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
So my subscriber copy of EDGE has just dropped with a nice Starlink cover and a 10 page feature on the game.

Here are the highlights from the issue.

Reviews

Detroit: Become Human - 5
State of Decay 2 - 4
Destiny 2: Warmind - 6
Onrush - 7
Yoku's Island Express - 8
Smoke and Sacrifice - 6
Just Shapes and Beats - 7
Quarantine Subcircular - 7
Laser League - 9

Features

Rocket Science - How Starlink: Battle for Atlas has the tricky business of toys to life down to a fine art.
An Audience With - Jade Raymond - studio Founder and EAs head of Star Wars
Lest We Forget - every frame is a painting in Aardman and DigixArts artfully divided 11-11: Memories Retold
Making Of - How a group of Half Life modders discovered the fear and wonder of the ocean with Subnautica
Time Extend - Super Mario Maker
Studio Profile - Digital Extremes. How a catastrophe led to one of today's most successful shooters.
Get Into Games - profiles of universities and institutions that can prepare you for a career in game industry
The Long Game - Pokémon Go

Previews
Metro Exodus
COD: Black Ops 3
Battlefield V
Octopath Traveller
Kingdom Hearts 3
Semblance

Last edited by a moderator:

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Detroit fucking sucked. I loved Heavy Rain and Beyond. Don't know what happened.

Kartul7

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
User Warned: Dismissive drive-by post attempting to discredit an outlet.
Edgy Edge. No way is it a 5.

Deleted member 30005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Can we get a look at the cover?

trollface.jpg

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Detroit isn't a 5/10 game..but that's just my opinion.

I respect their score.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Detroit fucking sucked. I loved Heavy Rain and Beyond. Don't know what happened.

If you loved those 2 games and think Detroit is worse then I don't think you and me played the same game. Detroit is superior to Heavy Rain and Beyond in almost every aspect. Most people who dislike Detroit are not a fan of David Cage game in general.

brandywine

Oct 27, 2017
I can't play Detroit until the summer is over, but I've been looking forward to it since its initial debut. I wonder if EDGE's complaints have to do with the writing. If so, that's worrying. I'm more inclined to trust them about narrative than most of the gaming press.

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
If you loved those 2 games and think Detroit is worse then I don't think you and me played the same game. Detroit is superior to Heavy Rain and Beyond in almost every aspect. Most people who dislike Detroit are not a fan of David Cage game in general.
I've heard less than zero people say they liked Heavy Rain more than Detroit, which, while I disagree with it, I can at least see how someone might think that.
To say that Heavy Rain and Beyond (especially Beyond) were "great" but Detroit "sucks", that's a new one to me.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Typical Edge...they have their preferences and are extremely harsh in some areas, lax in others. I generally disagree with many of their assessments.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Edge gave pretty similar marks to Gamecentral it seems (who gave Detroit a 6 and State of Decay a 4)

I have no interest in playing Detroit, but if State of Decay shipped with all the bugs the Gamecentral review indicates then they are well deserved 4's.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
5 seems pretty high for Detroit tbh. I'm surprised by that State of Decay 2 score though, might need to pick this issue up.

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

I disagree. Heavy Rain and Beyond had lovable characters with interesting plot lines. Detroit wants me to empathize with 3 advanced toasters.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
5 is completely fair for Detroit.

5 is average on Edge's scale, isn't it?
Yup. I like the game, it's mostly entertaining and the production values are great, but its writing is still mediocre at best and the gameplay has improved very little since Fahrenheit. You can still get away with doing nothing in many action sequences, your choices don't matter all that much until the last quarter or so, sometimes the game forces you to do things you don't really want to do... and so on. Without having read the review, calling it average seems totally fair in my book.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to petition a mod for a thread title change.

EDGE Magazine 321 - August 2018 - Oh Boy

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know why people hold Edge scores in such high esteem, It was always the most pretentious video game magazine on the shelf.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly has a rotten review on RT, but Detroid is not allowed to get a mediocre score in a video game magazine. OK, gamers.

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
There's something really gratifying about the way Detroit has gone on to be such a big success and garnered a great following. It's also really cool to see actors like Bryan Dechart become a fan favourite and attract a huge social media following.

Reviews are personal opinions, but there's no doubt in mind a handful of games journalists tried to torpedo Detroit for reasons other than the quality of the game. As such you just shrug your shoulders at such scores and take satisfaction at how Detroit found its audience.

Armite

Mar 30, 2018
Honestly, after watching a playthrough of Detroit, I cannot for the life of me understand how it gets away with such awful writing in a narrative-driven game. 5 is totally fair.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Reviews are personal opinions, but there's no doubt in mind a handful of games journalists tried to torpedo Detroit for reasons other than the quality of the game. As such you just shrug your shoulders at such scores and take satisfaction at how Detroit found its audience.

It's a conspiracy, folks! No reason to read or acknowledge this less-than-positive score, move along!

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised at a 9 for Laser League, I had no idea what was going on in that.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Loved Fahrenheit, but didn't get on with Heavy Rain and Beyond didn't hold my attention past a handful of hours.

Might be best for me if I wait for *Detroit on PS+ down the line then.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not surprised about Detroit. Edge journos have clear bias when it comes to particular genres and games. And I see nothing wrong, it's just how they carry themselves sometimes rubs me the wrong way. But ah well , in the end it's just one publication out of hundreds and one person's opinion out of millions