• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
"Death is an opportunity in Hidetaka Miyazuki's most punishing game yet"

Reviews

The Crew 2 - 5
Jurassic World Evolution - 5
Vampyr - 5
Unravel 2 - 7
Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion - 8
Mario Tennis Aces - 6
Youropa - 7

Previews

Hype @ E3 - round up of games in our sights at the LA Expo

Features

Prepare to Live - Death is an opportunity in Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. Miyazaki's most punishing game yet.
Making Of - Little Nightmares
Studio Profile - Firesprite
Time Extend - Rogue Legacy
The Long Game - Mario+Rabbids: Kingdom Battle.

Next Month: EDGE magazine 25th Anniversary Special Edition

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I really wanted the Crew 2 to scratch that arcade driving itch. It didn't at all. At least I found out in the beta and not after buying it. I thought Vampyr was supposed to be better than a 5 though.

bshock

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Fair score for Jurassic Park Evo. What a disappointment that one turned out to be.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Mario Tennis Aces sucking is almost as disappointing as Starfox Zero sucking. I feel like both of them are pretty straightforward games to make sequels for.

OP
OP
Boy Wander

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
The Shadows Die Twice feature is a 10 page article which talks in a reasonable amount of depth about the game and the demo that Edge played through at E3.

OP
OP
Boy Wander

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Obligatory Bad camera photo of the cover:

7ALRgY1l.jpg

OP
OP
Boy Wander

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Levels are more vertical thanks to grappling hook inclusion.

Main mechanic is around a prosthetic limb to which different tools can be attached for different uses.
No strict class based system - you can unlock new skills and weapons add-ons in a manner more befitting of an action adventure.
Sounds like stealth is more prominent than in previous From games.
Slight Tenchu influence in some of the light stealth mechanics.
Fighting revolves around a new mechanic - 'Posture' which is best thought of in Soulsborne terms as a combination of stamina and the Poise stat. Getting hit by or simply blocking an enemy attack depletes your posture. Landing blows or performing a perfect parry reduces the opponent's. When Posture is fully drained , the fighter is stunned and open to huge damage. When the protagonist is on the offensive, this is called a 'Shinobi Death Blow'. Simply slashing away is no good - Posture is king and anyone who heads in to battle unprepared to parry isn't going to get too far.

May 5, 2018
I've had a lot of fun with Mario Tennis Aces mainly due to tournament and online free play. But the 6 score feels fair to give with at disappointing adventure mode and the lack of freedom for players to set up online matches unless you set up a lobby.

Rocket786

Oct 27, 2017

Main mechanic is around a prosthetic limb to which different tools can be attached for different uses.
No strict class based system - you can unlock new skills and weapons add-ons in a manner more befitting of an action adventure.
Fighting revolves around a new mechanic - 'Posture' which is best thought of in Soulsborne terms as a combination of stamina and the Poise stat. Getting hit by or simply blocking an enemy attack depletes your posture. Landing blows or performing a perfect parry reduces the opponent's. When Posture is fully drained , the fighter is stunned and open to huge damage. When the protagonist is on the offensive, this is called a 'Shinobi Death Blow'. Simply slashing away is no good - Posture is king and anyone who heads in to battle unprepared to parry isn't going to get too far.

Parrying is one of the most satisfying combat mechanics in games for me. When done right, it just feels so rewarding to get the parry and go on the offensive. I think God of War has nailed the feeling of this. Can't wait to see how this has evolved into a major gameplay mechanic in FROM games. Bloodborne was good at it, but still left a bit to be desired.

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you for posting this, OP. Unfortunately no new info (from what you've posted so far). I guess we'll get actual new info/footage until Gamescom?

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX

God damn this sounds great.

Deleted member 18347

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God damn this sounds great.
In Dark Souls parrying was something you could ignore, and so many players hunkered behind a shield and played defensively or just simply two-handed and rolled around. I know friends who never utilized the parry mechanic in a Souls game.

In Bloodborne they removed shields and focused on parrying fire arms, more players learn parrying and timing better, but still you could just dodge around and hit enemies effectively without having a good grasp of that mechanic.

In this game, apparently you get punished for not timing your hits/parrying properly, making it mandatory.

That's a gradual learning curve over multiple games for one of the most fun mechanics. Miyazaki and his team know what's up and I love how they go about doing what they do.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No review of The Culling 2? Are Edge even reputable?

But really, I'm going to buy this for that sweet, sweet Sekiro info. Hurt me more, Miyazaki.

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC

SHINOBI DEATH BLOW.

This sounds pretty much perfect, very excited.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah as someone who's into these games for the obtuse and confusing mechanics and the feeling of being completely lost in terms of gameplay (and story/world building, of course) I think I just need to go on a complete media blackout at this point. The less I know the better these games end up being. That's why Bloodborne was so great while Dark Souls 3 felt like trash to me, controls aside.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
In Dark Souls parrying was something you could ignore, and so many players hunkered behind a shield and played defensively or just simply two-handed and rolled around. I know friends who never utilized the parry mechanic in a Souls game.

In Bloodborne they removed shields and focused on parrying fire arms, more players learn parrying and timing better, but still you could just dodge around and hit enemies effectively without having a good grasp of that mechanic.
I did not use parry in Bloodborne any more than in Dark Souls. Sekiro might actually change that.

Oct 25, 2017

Cool info but all of this was known already. It must suck being a magazine sometimes.

guru-guru

Oct 25, 2017

In this game, apparently you get punished for not timing your hits/parrying properly, making it mandatory.

That's a gradual learning curve over multiple games for one of the most fun mechanics. Miyazaki and his team know what's up and I love how they go about doing what they do.
Yeah, I'm looking forward to actually having to parry on the regular. In Darks Souls 1/2/3, plus Bloodborne, I mostly just spammed roll. I'd occasionally parry regular enemies, but when it came to bosses I stuck to the roll around like a madman strategy. It worked (usually), but I felt like I could have become way "better" at the game.

Deleted member 22422

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Mario Tennis Aces got off lightly with a 6. It's a shell of a game, even though the tennis gameplay can be quite good.

Oct 25, 2017

Want.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm looking forward to actually having to parry on the regular. In Darks Souls 1/2/3, plus Bloodborne, I mostly just spammed roll. I'd occasionally parry regular enemies, but when it came to bosses I stuck to the roll around like a madman strategy. It worked (usually), but I felt like I could have become way "better" at the game.
Without a doubt. I went from getting wrecked by certain bosses in Bloodborne to demolishing them with parry and vis. It really helps a lot.