• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
What was in the Time Extended for The Last Guardian. I assume time extended means they're revisiting it, but was there anything new or noteworthy.

It's more of a retrospective but worth reading (I haven't done so in full yet) as it looks to explore elements of the game that were, in the opinion of Edge, exaggerated problems or misunderstood features, such as control issues and the like. It also delves into clever things that the game does that people might not realise, such as the fact that at the start, Trico is deliberately obstinate and cumbersome, whereas by the end he's traversing the environment without you having to shout at him, indicating that a bond has developed over the course of the game.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's more of a retrospective but worth reading (I haven't done so in full yet) as it looks to explore elements of the game that were, in the opinion of Edge, exaggerated problems or misunderstood features, such as control issues and the like. It also delves into clever things that the game does that people might not realise, such as the fact that at the start, Trico is deliberately obstinate and cumbersome, whereas by the end he's traversing the environment without you having to shout at him, indicating that a bond has developed over the course of the game.
Ah, okay cool. Sounds like a nice piece.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Interesting quote from Sakurai on Kid Icarus:

Question: You took a rare departure from Smash Bros when working on Kid Icarus: Uprising. The game has many passionate fans but also plenty of detractors. How do you feel about this game looking back on it?
Answer: I could say it was close to the most difficult project of my career in terms of both team and hardware. The team I gathered varied greatly in culture and ways of thinking so there were always confrontations. Additionally, we couldn't make use of the full power of the 3DS when developing the game. Whilst middleware improvements came, because we were developing the game early in the 3DS life, we had a really hard time making it do what we wanted" As an example I only found out that the Circle Pad Pro was coming out the day it was announced to the public by Nintendo. I wanted the game to support it but it was impossible due to performance related reasons People have asked for a modern-day port however I don't think this will be possible.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting quote from Sakurai on Kid Icarus:

Question: You took a rare departure from Smash Bros when working on Kid Icarus: Uprising. The game has many passionate fans but also plenty of detractors. How do you feel about this game looking back on it?
Answer: I could say it was close to the most difficult project of my career in terms of both team and hardware. The team I gathered varied greatly in culture and ways of thinking so there were always confrontations. Additionally, we couldn't make use of the full power of the 3DS when developing the game. Whilst middleware improvements came, because we were developing the game early in the 3DS life, we had a really hard time making it do what we wanted" As an example I only found out that the Circle Pad Pro was coming out the day it was announced to the public by Nintendo. I wanted the game to support it but it was impossible due to performance related reasons People have asked for a modern-day port however I don't think this will be possible.

No port, no problem. It's a sequel that the people want.

Somebody sell me on Tetris Effect. Is it just Tetris with cool effects or is there something else going on? I love Mizuguchi.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Scores seem pretty much in line with general consensus. No major outliers here, unless Smash gets ravaged by critics (seems unlikely).

Smash has never received a 10, no. Here's all of the Nintendo games that have:

Super Mario 64
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Super Mario Odyssey

Bit of a running theme there.
All of them are deserved?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Initially seems like a regular 3rd Person Battle Royale but soon exhibits a few telltale signs of Housemarque games, the teleport ability is cited as an example.
The unique abilities of each character work in single player but can be used to devastating effect in a squad.
PvE events have a startling effect on the pulse and pace of a match.
Trying to recreate the tension of being on the edge like in arcade titles.
Still a way to go for the game - shooting can feel completely toothless on occasion with little in way of satisfying feedback.
Trying to strike the balance such that arcade fans can feel enough of the arcade among the battle royale and pulling in the battle royale crowd by hoping they'll see enough battle royale elements they like among the arcade. There may be promising valuable new ground to cover here if they can get that balance right.
Thanks, sounds a little mixed but with potential.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
😆 I mean I don't doubt it that's what Mizuguchi does

Maybe I'll just pick it up and see what happens.

I'm trying not to hyperbolize - this is my first Mizuguchi game - but the journey mode in VR is seriously a mental health tonic for me.

Also the zone mechanic is a legit new Tetris feature, if you care about such things.

In any case it's the best $40 I've spent in 2018 and is my GOTY after God of War

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
EDGE_JAN-19.jpg

Shawn6661

Oct 27, 2017
EDGE 328 is out featuring Kingdom Hearts III on cover. I know, you want the reviews :

Just Cause 4 - 6
Ashen - 6
Darksiders III - 4
Gris - 7
Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden - 8
Desert Child - 4
Beat Saber - 8
The Haunted Island, A Frog Detective Game - 7

Thanks to rllmukforum.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Gwent has changes so many times during its beta phase. I logged in last week after a break of a few months and I need to completely re-learn the game.

Never known a CCG to change so many core mechanics so often.

Scoring Darksiders III same as Fallout 76 is a big mistake, Edge. I'm disappointed.

Edge is not a person, you know?

Oct 27, 2017
Gwent has changes so many times during its beta phase. I logged in last week after a break of a few months and I need to completely re-learn the game.

Never known a CCG to change so many core mechanics so often.

Edge is not a person, you know?

Do you really believe i don't know? It was a joke, but i'm still disappointed they scored Darksiders III so low.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EDGE 328 is out featuring Kingdom Hearts III on cover. I know, you want the reviews :

Just Cause 4 - 6
Ashen - 6
Darksiders III - 4
Gris - 7
Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden - 8
Desert Child - 4
Beat Saber - 8
The Haunted Island, A Frog Detective Game - 7

Thanks to rllmukforum.

Curious what they say about Ashen. I love Souls and was quite excited by the game and reviews, but it left me really cold for quite a few reasons.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
Happy with that Hitman 2 score. more people need to play the game.

Also I really want to read the F76 review :D

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Make a silly comment, comment gets called silly. Plus many people don't know and I can't read your mind.
Do they still not attribute reviews to individual authors (just "EDGE" instead)? I thought the whole idea behind that was so the reader would perceive it as a single entity rather than a disparate collection of writers.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Do they still not attribute reviews to individual authors (just "EDGE" instead)? I thought the whole idea behind that was so the reader would perceive it as a single entity rather than a disparate collection of writers.

It's not a single entity, though, regardless of how its presented, which is the point.

Unless it's the same person reviewing both games, of course.