• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
There's still time to add them in the DLC; Miner Willy, Horace, Wally, Monty Mole & a Mutant Camel. There are literally tens of ideas.

Dizzy, Magic Knight, Jack the Nipper, KLP-2, the Witch from Granny's Garden, Charles Fotheringham-Grunes, Sweevo, Head and Heels, Hen House Harry...

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
I'm surprised Tetris Effect didn't get a 10 to be honest. Seems like the type of game they would give top honours to.

Also I'm surprised they reviewed Smash in this issue. The reviewable builds must have gone out at least a couple of weeks ago

Deleted member 16849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
$40 AUD for Thronebreaker makes me sad

Need a sale on it asap

The game is good man also it literally just came out. It's a 30-40 hour game and it is quality too, good writing, great characters and with the extra difficulty that got patched in it's even better. Well worth it if you play Gwent as it gives you cards and extra skill points (from achievements) to spend on Kegs. Gives you more if you love the world of the Witcher.

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
It's pretty funny that they gave Ultimate a 9, Edge of old probably would have compared it to Smash 4 way more and given it like a 5 or something lol

Oct 27, 2017
Scores seem pretty much in line with general consensus. No major outliers here, unless Smash gets ravaged by critics (seems unlikely).

Smash has never received a 10, no. Here's all of the Nintendo games that have:

Super Mario 64
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Super Mario Odyssey

Bit of a running theme there.
They gave skyward sword a 10...well can't be right all the time.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
7 For Let's Go sounds right, somewhere in that high 60s, low 70s range. Seems to be the right score for it.

I don't know if this was the review that did it or another, but it also now has a lower Metascore than Fire Red and Leaf Green as well. That sounds about right to.

Tetris Effect is pretty great so good to see that 9/10 on it. I've got my PSVR now at home, just have to set it up and give it a whirl in that mode. The brief bit I played a a convention was great. Getting to go fully in should be good.

Smash sounds about right as well. Gigantic amount of content in that game which is amazing, but it does have a big issue in lack of Tutorials on how to play, c'mon, it's 2018. We can do better than one in-game video and some small loading screen hints now. Spirits also seem a little undercooked in some factors (It's cool each has a battle associated with them, but raising jpegs for stat boosts? And the loss of cool lore information that trophies use to give. That blows). Smash is either arriving today or tomorrow for me, hopefully today because I'm travelling tomorrow.

Hitman 2 is on my go-get list. Just needed a better release window really, I already have too much on my plate with Spidey, Spyro, Tetris Effect and Smash (Heck I need to squeeze God of War in there somewhere as well before years end for the GOTY topics).

Speaking of Spyro, shouldn't that be here as well? Or was that in last months issue?

Fallout 76... well, what do you expect at this point?

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Scores seem pretty much in line with general consensus. No major outliers here, unless Smash gets ravaged by critics (seems unlikely).

Smash has never received a 10, no. Here's all of the Nintendo games that have:

Super Mario 64
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Super Mario Odyssey

Bit of a running theme there.
Bayonetta 2?

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Can someone let me know why Tetris Effect has scored so well? It looks really cool but it seems like it's just Tetris with cool music and background effects

I mean, Tetris is one of the all time greats, but is it getting reviewed well just for being Tetris in a great audio visual package, or is there more to it?

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good score for Smash.

Just realised there's not been a review thread for Smash yet. When do the review go live?

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Smash sounds about right as well. Gigantic amount of content in that game which is amazing, but it does have a big issue in lack of Tutorials on how to play, c'mon, it's 2018. We can do better than one in-game video and some small loading screen hints now. Spirits also seem a little undercooked in some factors (It's cool each has a battle associated with them, but raising jpegs for stat boosts? And the loss of cool lore information that trophies use to give. That blows). Smash is either arriving today or tomorrow for me, hopefully today because I'm travelling tomorrow.
The game has a in-game section with multtiple videos to all mechanics (even character specific), a manual of all moves, Items, etc. and many tips. But they really need a step by step tutorial for beginners. Especially recovering is a hard concept for many to gasp.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Can someone let me know why Tetris Effect has scored so well? It looks really cool but it seems like it's just Tetris with cool music and background effects

I mean, Tetris is one of the all time greats, but is it getting reviewed well just for being Tetris in a great audio visual package, or is there more to it?
Don't have a copy of the magazine, but even "just Tetris" in a new, very-well polished package has potential to be one of the best games of the year. Puyo Puyo Tetris was one of my favorite games last year. Had a blast playing those crazy multiplayer modes with family. And even stripped away of all the extra bells and whistles, it's still a perfect "just Tetris" experience. Sometimes you just want your favorite band to play their greatest hits. I'd be happy to give any good Tetris game a 9/10 from now until the end of time.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tetris Effect is amazing, that score is deserved. It's surprisingly emotional...

It'll definitely end up on my top 10 for this year. Probably top 5.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Just got my subscribers copy through so fire away if you have any questions.

Neat issue too.
Multiple covers available representing different Smash characters:
1) Front Cover: Link / Back Cover: Peach
2) Front Cover: Mario (Mario Maker Outfit) / Back Cover: DK
3) Front Cover: Yoshi / Back Cover: Pikachu
4) Front Cover: Wario / Back Cover: Luigi
5) Front Cover: Kirby / Back Cover: Squid Boy
6) Front Cover: Fox / Back Cover: Bowser
7) Front Cover: R.O.B / Back Cover: Little Mac
8) Front Cover: PacMan / Back Cover: Sonic.

I got the Kirby/Squid Boy cover. Looks cool.

There's also a special article about the Switch "How the house of Mario rebuilt itself to deliver Nintendo Switch - a console for the ages" and an Audience with Sakurai.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
There's also a fucking COOOOL EDGE 2019 calendar, with different Nintendo game artwork each month,

Ryugarr

Dec 6, 2018
Just got my subscribers copy through so fire away if you have any questions.

Neat issue too.
Multiple covers available representing different Smash characters:
1) Front Cover: Link / Back Cover: Peach
2) Front Cover: Mario (Mario Maker Outfit) / Back Cover: DK
3) Front Cover: Yoshi / Back Cover: Pikachu
4) Front Cover: Wario / Back Cover: Luigi
5) Front Cover: Kirby / Back Cover: Squid Boy
6) Front Cover: Fox / Back Cover: Bowser
7) Front Cover: R.O.B / Back Cover: Little Mac
8) Front Cover: PacMan / Back Cover: Sonic.

I got the Kirby/Squid Boy cover. Looks cool.

There's also a special article about the Switch "How the house of Mario rebuilt itself to deliver Nintendo Switch - a console for the ages" and an Audience with Sakurai.

Does the review say what the negative points of the game were ?

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Does the review say what the negative points of the game were ?

There's very little mention of anything negative other than the fact that Smash's problems are still Smash's problems in that some moves are a little overpowered and certain things like the Gust Bellows are as annoying as ever. On the plus side, it sounds like it is literally absolutely stuffed to the gills with content.
"The level of granularity is absurd"
Of the single player "Campaign" or whatever the mode is called "It is quite ludicrously large - after a full morning we'd uncovered a tiny proportion of the map on Normal Difficulty. After two solid days, we'd visited every corner, but without wishing to give the game away, that's by no means the end"

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
even though I'm a huge fan of Mizuguchi, I wrote off Tetris Effect as "Tetris with cool visual effects." Seems like I gotta correct that and give it a go.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
As a Housemarque fan I'm Intrigued about the Stormdivers preview, can anyone summarise?

Initially seems like a regular 3rd Person Battle Royale but soon exhibits a few telltale signs of Housemarque games, the teleport ability is cited as an example.
The unique abilities of each character work in single player but can be used to devastating effect in a squad.
PvE events have a startling effect on the pulse and pace of a match.
Trying to recreate the tension of being on the edge like in arcade titles.
Still a way to go for the game - shooting can feel completely toothless on occasion with little in way of satisfying feedback.
Trying to strike the balance such that arcade fans can feel enough of the arcade among the battle royale and pulling in the battle royale crowd by hoping they'll see enough battle royale elements they like among the arcade. There may be promising valuable new ground to cover here if they can get that balance right.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
What was in the Time Extended for The Last Guardian. I assume time extended means they're revisiting it, but was there anything new or noteworthy.