• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
That is pretty ridiculous. The block button is pretty valuable and important in MK, and just because it's different from other FGs doesn't mean it's bad. Lack of zoning? I'm guessing they haven't played any of the top tiers. Perhaps they should have got someone who is actually experienced in fighting games to review the game.

is the game only being sold to fighting game experts? Do you have to show some type of ID at the counter?

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
You guys need to relax. Edge is know for its wild reviews, so low scores for big games shouldn't be a surprise to you. The majority of Days Gone's reviews on Metacritic are positive, the fans love it, the game is good and it's overperforming sales wise. A sequel is practically confirmed.
Edge is just one magazine with one review and one opinion for each game. That's it. You can find more on metacritic. Not everybody likes the same video games.
So fans can keep being happy and the same old posters from all the other Days Gone related threads can keep acting like 7/10 is the new 0.5/10.
yeah pretty much

JackLinks

Banned
Mar 21, 2019
User Banned (1 Week): Continued system warring despite previous infractions
If nothing else i'm looking worward to the edge review thread for ghost of tsumisha

If that game turns out to be as janky as it looks the detroit and god of war threads are going to have some competition

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
That is pretty ridiculous. The block button is pretty valuable and important in MK, and just because it's different from other FGs doesn't mean it's bad. Lack of zoning? I'm guessing they haven't played any of the top tiers. Perhaps they should have got someone who is actually experienced in fighting games to review the game.

I would think anyone that has a grasp of what zoning and a crossup game is experienced with fighting games. This isn't an uncommon sentiment among the FGC that MK doesn't have great high level play.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I would think anyone that has a grasp of what zoning and a crossup game is experienced with fighting games. This isn't an uncommon sentiment among the FGC that MK doesn't have great high level play.
I'd argue that NRS have only gotten better at it since 9. High level play of 11 is super fun to watch. They've made massive advances in animation, feel and gameplay since 2011, so this game scoring even lower than 9 (which hasn't aged well at all imo) doesn't sit right with me.

Calling stuff like the block button or the dial combo system (which is really just short strings of 2-3 hits that still need practice and skill to link into longer combos using neutrals and specials) "antiquated" just because they don't like them too. They're just too linked to the MK identity at this point. The game is even balanced around having a block button.

I'm not gonna rake them over the coals for it, it's their opinion after all, but yeah, sounds to me that it's more about how MK still doesn't play the way they would like, because they've only gotten better with time.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Reading the review and Post Script for MK11 really shows why they gave it a 5 (average) score and it wasn't just because of the economy of the game.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd argue that NRS have only gotten better at it since 9. High level play of 11 is super fun to watch. They've made massive advances in animation, feel and gameplay since 2011, so this game scoring even lower than 9 (which hasn't aged well at all imo) doesn't sit right with me.

Calling stuff like the block button or the dial combo system (which is really just short strings of 2-3 hits that still need practice and skill to link into longer combos using neutrals and specials) "antiquated" just because they don't like them too. They're just too linked to the MK identity at this point. The game is even balanced around having a block button.

I'm not gonna rake them over the coals for it, it's their opinion after all, but yeah, sounds to me that it's more about how MK still doesn't play the way they would like, because they've only gotten better with time.

This is my takeaway as well.

It's clear they're not a fan of the franchise and that's their prerogative.

It's their magazine.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
is the game only being sold to fighting game experts? Do you have to show some type of ID at the counter?
Ignorance of the game is a totally valid criticism, it's pointing to competence. You should be competent and understand the game you are reviewing.

You can knock the block button and why it's worse than how other fighting games handle blocking way better, but saying the game has no zoning is pretty absurd.

At the least one would have to question if the person writing that knows what zoning is.

Mind you I say that as someone who doesn't care for the nrs game what so ever.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
They don't say the game has no zoning, just that teleport moves are more reliant now due to a lack of cross up and that disrupts zoning. They don't like how block works, that's true.

Just read the review if you can.