• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
imageproxy44jnl.jpg

reviews:
Control - 8
Telling Lies - 9
Astral Chain - 9
Dicey Dungeons - 8
Knights & Bikes - 7
Rad - 6
Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey - 5
The Blackout Club - 6
Eliza - 9
A Short Hike - 8

also in this issue:
Outside the Box: Minecraft Earth
Hype (Kerbal Space Program 2, Synced: Off-Planet, Predator: Hunting Grounds, Röki, Evil Genius 2: World Domination, Chicory)
Hype Roundup (Death Stranding, Humankind, Little Nightmares 2, Ghostrunner, Orcs Must Die! 3)
Rise of the Robot: The story of TASBot
An audience with Helen Chang, head of Minecraft
The Making of Dead Cells
Studio Profile: Robot Entertainment (Orcs Must Die!)
Time Extend: The Order 1886
The Long Game: Oxygen Not Included

source

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guess there won't be too much controversy around the scores this time. Happy for the great reception Astral Chain and Control are getting, I intend to play them both down the line, maybe sometime next year.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of really strong scores here.

I enjoyed Her Story enough, I really should check out Telling Lies. Control is a game I will pick up once I have more than a base PS4 and a 5-year old computer.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills with Astral Chain. I'm trying my absolute damnedest to see what people are so in love with about this game. Just not for me.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is Astral Chain so well-reviewed by critics but shit on by Era? I feel like pretty much 90% of posts I see about it are about how bad or uneven it is.

I am interested in the game but TBH I'm wary

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
Why is Astral Chain so well-reviewed by critics but shit on by Era? I feel like pretty much 90% of posts I see about it are about how bad or uneven it is.

The pacing is very unusual for a platinum game, it only becomes action heavy in the literal end game. Not everyone is up for it. It's a nice and chill detective story.

Yippiekai

The Fallen
May 28, 2018
Toulouse, France
Astral Chain score is deserved, the game is awesome.
Never heard of Eliza before today but it looks exactly like something I would love. Will buy it later.
And I still need to buy Telling Lies...

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Lots of people here love it. Depends on what you're looking for, really. It's not a traditional character action game.

Oct 27, 2017

Era craps on it ? ive seen a largely positive response to the game. Sure it has its flaws but thats most games. Breath of the Wild has criticism on here but any poll conducted shows loads of people still regard it as a GOTG

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
it is, but when they give games that get 7s from other places a 5, a 9 from them is a bigger deal than a 9 from the usual places.
either way, it's just a score, not very important :)
edge staff has their own biases when it comes to particular games, like any other publication. And theres nothing wrong with it, I just personally dont put them on a pedestal like some portion of people on this forum. Its a publication like any other

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
curious about eliza now, watched a gameplay video and looks like a visual novel with detective work.

edge staff has their own biases when it comes to particular games, like any other publication. And theres nothing wrong with it, I just personally dont put them on a pedestal like some portion of people on this forum. Its a publication like any other
you don't put them on a pedestal and that's fine, but many people do. mostly cuz they seem to be using the whole scale, which makes the score more meaningful (but of course it's the review text that matters).

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
(where the story is nonsense and the detective mechanics are essentially Blues Clues)
No.
could you lay out how the game is structured to give me an idea?
you arrive at a scene, you look around for clues and use your legions' abilities to get to answers, do some side quests, then you enter the crime scene where you essentially enter a dungeon where you solve puzzles with your legions, do some light platforming (there's no jump button) and do some combat. That's about 1-2 hours depending on which chapter the ratio can go from 70 downtime to 30 combat to vice versa.