• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
20190223-104843.jpg

Info is from Zem in the thread EDGE #330 review scores (Apex Legends, Metro Exodus, Resident Evil 2, Kingdom Hearts III), image is from Illusionary

* Yu Suzuki is using his documents from 20 years ago that he gathered on Chinese culture in the 1980's, chinese tribes, their customs and villages, he's also traveled to the Fujian Province for direct hands-on research of the people and their lifestyle
* First two games had modern settings, this one is steeped in religion and ancient culture of China
* You start in a village called Bailu, it sounds like the start will be slow paced. People will barely talk to you and won't answer your questions because you're an outsider, there's a dialogue system and you need to complete tasks and become more known around the village before the local people will give you info. If you have Shenhua with you the villagers will be more open with you because they know and trust her.
* Each villager will have their own day-night routine just like the previous games
* Because Ryo is a city boy there's a lot of obliviousness from him and there's funny and interesting conversations because his viewpoint is so different.
* The game is more about looking inward than outward, Suzuki says he wants to look deeper into the Ryo character and we'll learn more about him.
* Same voice actor as before
* A large part of the game is the affinity system between Ryo and Shenhua and a major part of the story of the game is the relationship between the two.
* Combat system looks much smoother and is more RPG based, not just learning skills by repeating moves over and over
Attack power and stamina are the two main stats for combat, stamina is used for everything (sprinting, fighting moves) and can be restored by eating food. eating before doing something strenuous will become routine
* When training you can customize Ryo's clothes into training gear
* Training is done through mini-games, Horse Stance, One inch Punch and more, mostly rhythm based but satisfying to pull off
* Technique scrolls from 1 & 2 return as well as new ones, around 100 in total
* The intricate world building of characters being linked and having back-stories is present in 3
* There's a fight club in another city you can enter where you fight people with nicknames like "The Knee of Death" and "Mach Fist" (voiced by Chris Bellinger)
* At one point you'll have to fight multiple people in these fighting events, people who want to master the combat system will be spending a lot of time fighting in these events. All of the fighting happens in the Rose Garden and is optional.
* Controls are carried over from Shenmue 2 but with analogue stick camera improvements
* Capsule toys are back
* EDGE sound very positive on what they've seen.
* Suzuki stresses how important it is to make the game feel like a Shenmue game, modern games are more open world nowadays but he doesn't want to go that way because then it wouldn't be Shenmue

All this sounds exactly like what I was hoping for from a third Shenmue game. If anyone has any other info from the article let me know and I'll update the OP

There will be a new trailer with gameplay footage on March 9th.

Edit: Full cover thanks Tricky I Shadow

9qtXv9xl.jpg

Edit 2: For anyone interested in what the game is looking like so far.

Dzxrv6MWwAAVq-s.jpg:orig

DzydC1EWwAI2OvC.jpg

DzzaZSTXcAA2DVk.jpg

Last edited:

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
I read the article. Everything sounds very positive. I'm especially happy about their description of the combat and confirmation that all the NPCs will be unique and detailed. I hope we get to see a lot on March 9th.

OP
OP
HStallion

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I read the article. Everything sounds very positive. I'm especially happy about their description of the combat and confirmation that all the NPCs will be unique and detailed. I hope we get to see a lot on March 9th.

Was there anything you read that you think should be noted in the OP?

Deleted member 10428

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, does Shenmue 2 control like 1? Control Ryu with the d-pad and camera with the analogue is kind of crappy (except for in fights).

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Little nervous about how pure Suzuki wants to make it. By all means make it Shemue but also borrow from advances since, ie seamless loading (RDR2), quick jump to locations, have more influence on NPCs, no need to pick up millions of useless artifacts if it means no time to enhance some of the Shenmue obvious issues.

Happy with some of the stuff I'm reading though, especially about how people see you as an outsider and are reluctant to engage. That's the level of detail I'd expect from Yu. Man is a genius.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
After the initial reveal, I feared a little. I was thinking that maybe there was some chance that it would end being kinda mediocre ?
But since last year, all the infos we got are awesome. The game keeps looking and sounding better and better.
I think it's going to be a GOOD game.

Always trust Yu Suzuki.

Jul 10, 2018
Cannot wait! It's a dream come true to all those 22 year old dreamcast owners from 2001. Towns the size of Kamurocho from Yakuza is fine by me.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
This is more than I need to know. I backed the Kickstarter and basically avoid updates. Just release it when you're ready.

TriGen

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope this is not true
I like the sound of everything except that. The HD collection is something I can get used to and deal with but it doesn't feel great for a modern game.

The other stuff like not being a modern open-world is awesome. I'm hoping it's like Shenmue was just without loading constantly. The modern Yakuza Games Kiwami 2 and 6 are good examples.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds good. I heard this was the cover story earlier today and made a special trip into town to look, but I guess it's only going to subscribers at the moment.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. This sounds like an actual evolution of Shenmue and not just a modern game called Shenmue.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because my memory of the original game is basically walking around an area the size of a square block hoping to talk to or find the right NPC, and I was thinking that Shenmue 3 might go bigger than that. Doesn't need to be as sprawling as RDR2, but Iwould prefer the larger sense of place and more varied surroundings.

Sharivan

Dec 29, 2018
Belgium
Because my memory of the original game is basically walking around an area the size of a square block hoping to talk to or find the right NPC, and I was thinking that Shenmue 3 might go bigger than that. Doesn't need to be as sprawling as RDR2, but Iwould prefer the larger sense of place and more varied surroundings.

No. Shenmue is about detail and interactivity NOT size.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
The second game is much bigger though.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
Was there anything you read that you think should be noted in the OP?

Not really anything big. The only thing I'd add is that the "affinity system" is what governs your relationship with many characters, not just Shenhua. You'll have to get to know, impress or otherwise convince characters to be able to get certain information from them.

The full article has some minor story spoilers from the beginning of the game and reveals a few of the early tasks you'll undertake too.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds entirely not for me but the whole 'they need to acknowledge you first' sounds very realistic

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds all great. I especially like that the people won't be opening up to you before you have earned their trust. Interested how the RPG elements will mesh with the combat system. I like that stamina is used in fights as well. Hoping everything will be balanced properly.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Cannot wait.

Also can't wait to find out what Sega arcade video games are in Shenmue III that weren't in I & II - Between them they had Hang-On, Space Harrier, OutRun and After Burner II.

Personally I am hoping for at least Thunder Blade and Super Monaco GP.

Oct 30, 2017
Sounds like they've gotten really serious about ramping up promotion, which is also very exciting and seems to bode well for hitting the August release date. Bring on the trailer!

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. Shenmue is about detail and interactivity NOT size.
It's a tough situation because how much is that Shenmue's detail really going to matter in 2019? Being able to rifle through people's drawers and get different dialogue options depending on the time of day will not have the same novelty or intrigue factor that it did twenty years ago. Unique NPCs with scheduling routines are not something to get that excited over anymore.

At some level the original's formula needs to be expanded.

Sharivan

Dec 29, 2018
Belgium
It's a tough situation because how much is that Shenmue's detail really going to matter in 2019? Being able to rifle through people's drawers and get different dialogue options depending on the time of day will not have the same novelty or intrigue factor that it did twenty years ago. Unique NPCs with scheduling routines are not something to get that excited over anymore.

At some level the original's formula needs to be expanded.

It sounds like it will be expanded by making everything more interactive, especially conversations with NPCs, which I think is much better than just creating a bigger world.