• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The map system is neat in theory, but I put the game down for a few days and felt hopelessly lost when I came back to it, which was a major enjoyment killer for me.
Indeed Hollow Knight is definitely not a game you can take a break from and come back to later. I did that and was completely lost. After 10 hours. Had to start from the beginning again!

Jagernaut

Oct 27, 2017
Finding the cartographer was certainly the most aggravating part for me but not being positioned on the map was a close second. I'll take what I can get. Playing HK after Dead Cells also soured it for me as I consider the map on Dead Cells exactly what I want from a 2D game.

The map in Dead Cells is great. Automatically maps everything, even marks the location of weapons I didn't pick up or dropped. Way better than Hollow Knight.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, why were we comparing the map in a run-based roguelite to one in an exploration-based Metroidvania?

Dec 9, 2020
Sorry, why were we comparing the map in a run-based roguelite to one in an exploration-based Metroidvania?
As someone who loves both games, I agree completely. Exploration into the unknown is, in my opinion, what makes Hollow Knight so incredible. Without that piece of the puzzle I don't think it would be as good of a game.

drewchebag

Mar 11, 2018
I'm genuinely curious what makes Hollow Knight's map so hated for some people compared to any Metroid game or like Soulsborne games which do not even have maps. I also have to spend time getting my bearings again if I take a break playing those games.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The map is the best thing about the game. Finding all the secrets while decoding the map is so rewarding, I wouldn't want it any other way.

Dec 9, 2020
I'm genuinely curious what makes Hollow Knight's map so hated for some people compared to any Metroid game or like Soulsborne games which do not even have maps. I also have to spend time getting my bearings again if I take a break playing those games.
That's a really good point and one I hadn't even considered. I think that's also what give soulsbourne games something special. That feeling of not knowing what you'll be walking into, but still pushing forward.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
User Banned (1 Month) - Thread Derailment with continued history of platform warring
I love how Nintendo never gets crap for pulling those temporary exclusivity stunts... Well, I'll play it when it's like $5 on PS4.

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017

While I didn't mind it eventually, Hollow Knight design feels very maze-y. The different areas are unique enough, but the sub-areas of them feel very samey. Especially with a lack of map, a lot of areas like, Forgotten Crossroads, Crystal Peak or Deepnest, are kind of a pain to navigate into. Honestly, I don't think it's that bad, and I definitely got used to it, but I can certainly see it becoming daunting for some people. Games like Castlevania SOTN feel more straightforward and rely more on landmarks and such.

Piecake

Oct 27, 2017
I love how Nintendo never gets crap for pulling those temporary exclusivity stunts... Well, I'll play it when it's like $5 on PS4.

I dont think that is true. Team Cherry has stated that they are only releasing it on PC/Switch because they don't want to overload and overextend themselves. That makes sense to me as the team is only 3 people.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I dont think that is true. Team Cherry has stated that they are only releasing it on PC/Switch because they don't want to overload and overextend themselves. That makes sense to me as the team is only 3 people.

Well, the original is a multi-million seller. I can bet they could afford the necessary means to a wide release.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i don't think this is a timed exclusive deal? if nintendo had moneyhatted the game, they'd announce it in a direct (which they didn't, it was announced by team cherry in a tweet), and they wouldn't talk about other platforms (which they did, they said it's coming to pc/switch first and then they'll figure out other platforms).

you are somehow expecting a 3-man team to launch their game on many different platforms, something which is hard to do even for some huge teams. it makes sense for them to first focus on where the majority of their audience is.

The map is the best thing about the game. Finding all the secrets while decoding the map is so rewarding, I wouldn't want it any other way.
agreed.

Piecake

Oct 27, 2017
Well, the original is a multi-million seller. I can bet they could afford the necessary means to a wide release.

Yea, but like I said, they didn't want to overload or overextend themselves. Overextend also implies financially. They prioritized the 2 systems where they thought the game would sell the best.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
i don't think this is a timed exclusive deal? if nintendo had moneyhatted the game, they'd announce it in a direct (which they didn't, it was announced by team cherry in a tweet), and they wouldn't talk about other platforms (which they did, they said it's coming to pc/switch first and then they'll figure out other platforms).

you are somehow expecting a 3-man team to launch their game on many different platforms, something which is hard to do even for some huge teams. it makes sense for them to first focus on where the majority of their audience is.

agreed.

Nintendo exclusivity deals are generally less clear than others, as clearly seen by MH Rise, which was never clarified in official communication but we now know even how much was paid due to the leaks. I honestly doubt it was a budget thing out due to the kindness of the developers heart. The original sold like gangbusters, the necessary means for a wide release would've been on their reach if there was the intent.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Switch versions of indie games almost always sell double the amount than their PS/XBOX alternatives.

it makes sense to prioritize switch and pc and then worry about ports after the launch.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Switch versions of indie games almost always sell double the amount than their PS/XBOX alternatives.

it makes sense to prioritize switch and pc and then worry about ports after the launch.

The PS4 versions of games always sold twice than X1 versions... Are we to believe sony never moneyhatted an exclusive then?

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo exclusivity deals are generally less clear than others, as clearly seen by MH Rise, which was never clarified in official communication but we now know even how much was paid due to the leaks. I honestly doubt it was a budget thing out due to the kindness of the developers heart. The original sold like gangbusters, the necessary means for a wide release would've been on their reach if there was the intent.

since team cherry consists of three people, the ports would probably have to be done by a separate company, and perhaps they want to do the ports in house where they have full control over the quality of the final product.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

I don't think the map is a problem, mostly how the game has a few points where progress is very unintuitive, and the map (which helps you 90% of the time) is completely useless in figuring out what you're missing.

So the issue is more that some areas are bad at signposting possible new routes, and the map does too good of a job with that aspect where it suddenly not helping becomes incredibly irritating.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
again, if it was a moneyhat, nintendo would announce the game on their terms.
and they have no problem calling indie games console exclusive or timed exclusive or whatever in their indie showcases. you're overthinking it, it's just a small indie team focusing on the platforms that matter the most for indie games. i'm sure they could get outside help or outsource ports, but for whatever reason they prefer to do things themselves.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
again, if it was a moneyhat, nintendo would announce the game on their terms.
and they have no problem calling indie games console exclusive or timed exclusive or whatever in their indie showcases. you're overthinking it, it's just a small indie team focusing on the platforms that matter the most for indie games. i'm sure they could get outside help or outsource ports, but for whatever reason they prefer to do things themselves.
From a business decision, it makes sense.

1. Focus on the pc and switch version which will sell the most copies.
2. Use revenue from initial sales to work on ports/DLC. (We also know when games launch on other platforms at a later date, double dipping is more likely.)
3. Invest in your next game with total sales from all platforms.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
Too bad they can't release on every platform at the same time but it's understandable considering the developer size. I hope they can release on the other platforms in the not so distant future.

I could play on pc but will probably wait for the PS4/5 version since I already own the original on PS4.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017

Metroid does a good job of marking places where you can't go yet because you're missing an ability, Hollow Knight had to add in the ability to mark places manually in a patch. You also have to sacrifice a powerup slot just to see where you were on the map. Having to find the mapping guy in each area was also critiqued (you could catch him back in town if you missed him) and maps only updated when you got to a bench. Built in markers would already go far, I'd also like them to remove the Charm requirement for seeing yourself on the map. I just don't like the trade off being there, but I can deal with it if they decide to keep it.
And Souls games lacking maps is one of the reasons I can never get into them since I always get horribly lost. I just need maps to navigate games for some reason.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Terrible example. MHR's timed deal was about as clear as MHW's timed/regional deal; as in not stated at all. Same for plenty of other Capcom deals (RE7 VR for example, or now GNGR and Arcade Stadium), this isn't a Nintendo thing but a Capcom thing. The only one that's been relatively upfront was SFV and that's probably because Sony bought it to send a clear message to the FGC and get them back from 360.

Most incentive deals aren't widely or publicly publicized but Nintendo's pretty upfront when they have a hand in it for indies. We always know by their promotional (Direct) coverage and what sort of exclusivity is mentioned (console, timed, content, etc). They probably threw Team Cherry a promo or royalty deal but it's not exactly a tough call when their last game sold roughly ten times better on Switch than other consoles.

As far as resources, afaik Team Cherry insists on doing ports inhouse and they want to stay small. Getting Silksong on Switch alongside PC is already a huge thing for them really and an improvement on HK's rollout. I'm sure PS4/Xbox will come faster too this time.

Oct 27, 2017
The original sold like gangbusters, the necessary means for a wide release would've been on their reach if there was the intent.
I don't think you understand how difficult it is to release on many platforms all at once...each platform has different certification processes, you then have to get the game rated by various rating boards in different regions (some of which some platforms have specific extra ones), different platform holders suggest release dates at certain times, then there's the marketing done on each platform, etc. For a small team that's a lot.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
From the Cherry's discord server. Appears they are in the final testing stage of development. HYPE.

Last edited:

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Unrelated, currently working my way through the white palace. Holy shit it's brutal.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
From the Cherry's discord server. Appears they are in the final testing stage of development. HYPE.
ah, i see. thanks!
looks like it's not too far off then.
Hype! At this point I'm hopeful that we'll get a release by June and definitely by the end of the year.

latest

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked lords of shadow, my only complaints are no dracula end boss and not enough time in the castle. Fighting vampires in the castle was the strongest part of the game.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
CDPR's debacle got the whole industry rethinking how they announce and release games, especially ones coming in hot.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Is this a prequel or a sequel to hollow knight? I still haven't gotten around to beating it. I've done the majority of content in the game, but wanted to get absolutely everything before I finished the story.

I'm doubting I'll do the GodSeeker content though. Don't feel like running through repeated boss rushes. Is the ending of the GodSeeker DLC cannon? I might go through it if it's actually cannon.

Piecake

Oct 27, 2017
Is this a prequel or a sequel to hollow knight? I still haven't gotten around to beating it. I've done the majority of content in the game, but wanted to get absolutely everything before I finished the story.

I'm doubting I'll do the GodSeeker content though. Don't feel like running through repeated boss rushes. Is the ending of the GodSeeker DLC cannon? I might go through it if it's actually cannon.

they said it was a sequel. They also said that there is no 'true' ending and all are equally as valid.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017

A sequel. Possibly a sequel to the Godseeker DLC, but it seems to take place in a different Kingdom entirely so who knows.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017

Godseeker has some of the best bosses in the game. But if you aren't into that it's really not worth it since there's barely any exploration.